Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 18:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Absolutely.

Can you share a picture or portable charger whenever possible where specs are mentioned.
Attaching the Hyundai Kona brochure. Only they seem to explicitly mention the rating of the mobile charger at 2.8 KW.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hyundai_KONA_SUV_brochure.pdf (1.72 MB, 197 views)
Old 13th June 2022, 20:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
All the mobile chargers that come with cars like the MG ZS EV, Hyundai Kona in India are doing around 2 - 3 kW charging speeds. The Tesla example you mention above is using a 50 amp socket. I did do some research on the Jaguar i-Pace, the charger installed by Jaguar does 7 kW charging but they do mention that plugging in the "Jaguar's Domestic Plug (Mode 2)" will charge at a much a slower rate. So I am willing to bet, it can only charge up to 3 kW.
The wall chargers generally will pull 32Amps on a single phase or 16amps each on three phases. Our normal sockets are rated for only 15amps single phase and that is the reason no one will go beyond 3kW.
With my kona, even running at 2.8kW peak sustained on most sockets can become a problem, because these are old connectors not really wired for so much sustained load. So you can see a lot of heat build up in the sockets thus pushing towards a meltdown and short, I generally run kona at 2kW/1.2kW depending on how old the house is .
If your car does not support lowering of charging current, I really suggest investing in a mobile charger that will allow you to feed less current so as to not overheat and short the old sockets.
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 20:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

^^

There are industrial grade sockets or small switchgear panels. Consider something like this

Metal Clad Plug and Socket 30 Amp 3 pin (Set) https://amzn.eu/d/gSMKZg3
Old 14th June 2022, 05:39   #19
BHPian

Fantastic write-up
Covers a lot of practical questions that arise in one's mind about EVs and more importantly about the charging infrastructure, what if I run out of power etc
One of the reasons I have been wanting to join this forum for the last 10 years (my wife says I haven't tried so much for a Job interview)
Wrt your frequent route, I remember spotting a good charging point near Sankagiri - the same complex that houses Sri Saravana Bhavan restaurant
I guess this is also from Zeon, have spotted Nexon EVs charging there during my trips to Coimbatore in the recent past
Maybe an additional option for you
mah45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 10:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirsen View Post
3. I liked the exterior design as well. But that is extremely a personal choice. Either you love it or you hate it.
I like the design very much!

That EV number plate is really odd-looking for a red car. India should seriously consider changing the color scheme of EV plates. They are unreadable from a distance because there is no good contrast between the text color and the background. The green plate doesn't go well with any body color at all.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 00:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great review, congrats on the awesome EV! Your review will be going to our homepage tomorrow. It's really these kind of ownership experiences & reports that make Team-BHP the unique place it is, within the Indian automotive space.

Why so? 100,000 km is early for an engine failure.
I wish I knew why the engine failed at 100k. Probably skoda also did not expect it and that's the reason why they wanted the old engine for research and they did not hesitate to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
A great initial ownership review, thanks for sharing!

Reviews of luxury EVs are far and few, so information received in threads like yours (detailed with the much needed practicality) will be lapped up and subscribed immediately.

Red color and a SUV, a Jag at that. Great.
And add the instant, crazy acceleration to the mix. You have a heady cocktail.
The interiors look too good.

The EV charge/range of 400+ km for such a heavy-duty car speaks volumes about the kind of tech that JLR has put into this.

And you did mention about the super silent cabin, yet another boon of the EV era. No engine clatter at idling or anytime.

Your running of 3k km in the last 6 months including long trips shows great confidence being reciprocated by the car! With that burn rate, you will go past the Laura's odo reading in no time.

Congrats again, and keep on sharing regular updates with us
The last 6 months were hectic travel. It may not continue, so things may settle down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks for sharing your ownership experience, sudhirsen.

I had a chance to test drive an iPace at a Jaguar event here in Australia, and for some reason wasn't too impressed. I believe being a busy event, the organisers wanted the car to hold charge to the maximum, and hence had regenerative braking set to the extreme, which was uncomfortable for a newbie to EVs, like me.

Infact, i specifically requested for that to be reduced during my drive. Reading through your review, i realise i needed to have a longer drive to draw a fair comparison.

Attachment 2319823

Link to my Test Drive experience : iPace Test drive (Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour)
I read through your article. Yeah, it is a bit difficult to get used to the regenrative braking. The driving style changes. Though I always drive in the high regen mode, I think it gives a poor experience to passengers. It creates an unnecessary jerk that affects the passenger comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainscooper View Post
Brilliant write up. Great information for those planning to go electric. Just one question. Does the car come with a mobile charger (at least as an option) that you can use to bail yourself out of trouble if you are stuck in a place without a charger, or will you have to use an ordinary outlet and wait for 30 hours to get it charged?
The car does come with a normal plug based charger. Thats what I use it at my bangalore home. But, it charges at around 10km per hour. very slow. I do carry another 20m electric cable in the car. Just in case I run of battery at a place where there are no fast chargers and I have to buy power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Fantastic write-up
Covers a lot of practical questions that arise in one's mind about EVs and more importantly about the charging infrastructure, what if I run out of power etc
One of the reasons I have been wanting to join this forum for the last 10 years (my wife says I haven't tried so much for a Job interview)
Wrt your frequent route, I remember spotting a good charging point near Sankagiri - the same complex that houses Sri Saravana Bhavan restaurant
I guess this is also from Zeon, have spotted Nexon EVs charging there during my trips to Coimbatore in the recent past
Maybe an additional option for you
one of the photos that I have put exactly at the Zeon in Sankagiri. Nice place to charge with lot of parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I like the design very much!

That EV number plate is really odd-looking for a red car. India should seriously consider changing the color scheme of EV plates. They are unreadable from a distance because there is no good contrast between the text color and the background. The green plate doesn't go well with any body color at all.
Very true. I don't know why a special number plate has to be provided to EV's.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2022 at 02:04. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
sudhirsen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:32   #22

Thrissur – Vandiperiyar - Thrissur(~500+ km )
Another long trip and winding hills. And I wanted to test how things would be if I take this to remote places. I knew that we would not be able to do this without one recharge. The first night was a camping site. My kid wanted a tent stay experience. The guys had also informed that they will arrange for charging plug where I can charge the car. But when I reached the place which was very remote, I realised that charging there is not a reality.. Some shots of the place..

Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-os1.jpg

Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-os2.jpg

Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-os3.jpg

Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-os4.jpg

So I figured out that there was a Tata charger that I could use. The second day stay is at Amana resort. Again, another nice resort worth staying.

So on the way, I stopped at Misty mountain peermade charging station. For some reason, it charged only for 10 minutes and stopped. But this time, I did not bother. I thought we would charge again on the way back.
So we went around driving through the mountains. I have to say a wonderful drive it is.
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a7002.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a6998.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a6999.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a6982.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a7003.jpg

and finally at Amaana. Again, I thought I will try my luck to see if we can charge at the resort. Though they initially said I can use the power. Later I realised that they have a huge worry if something would happen to their electicity connection. So anyway duid not happen. But a real good resort.
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-amaana1.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-amaana-2.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-amaana3.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-amaana4.jpg

Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a7013.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a7044.jpg
Jaguar I-Pace EV Review | 6 months and 17000 km-bh2a7012.jpg

On the way back, we stopped for lunch at Misty mountain, but this time, again, it charged for 10 minutes and again stopped.
Here I am stuck. I don't have another charger on the route. So the option was to stay at the resort for a day and hope the charger started working. The guys at the resort did everything possible to try and make it work. But no luck. Then, I guess I was lucky. On that day, another charging station opened up 20km away. Another tata charger So I drove down there. In fact, we were their first customer, a warm welcome. More than anything, with 25km remaining, we need them more than they need us.
But here, for the first time, we got to know about a new Tea brand "Misty Mountain". We bought a pack that day as we were sitting idle. Being a black tea person, I started loving their tea. Now shifted completely into this brand of tea. You get to chat and talk to a lot of new faces while you charge. 😊

Overall, you can take the car to remote places. But you cannot rely on the availability of a single charger. You need to have backups and another charger if the primary one that you planned is not working that day. Things are a lot un-predictable and you lose a lot of time when the charging machine does not work.
sudhirsen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirsen View Post
But you cannot rely on the availability of a single charger. You need to have backups and another charger if the primary one that you planned is not working that day. Things are a lot un-predictable and you lose a lot of time when the charging machine does not work.
Its nice to see you really enjoying the outdoors and thanks for sharing these pictures and locations. Hopefully some of us can someday go to the same places thanks to your suggestions.

I would like to buy an EV but few things really stop me: price, range, charging infrastructure. Yes alternate cars are there to use in the garage but if I were to take 2 cars and travel which I would need to, and one being EV had limitations then this just turns into a headache. I hope in the next 2-3 years there is an improvement in the charging infrastructure, options of long range EV in different price brackets.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks