Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Kia EV6 104 39.39%
BMW i4 160 60.61%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2022, 18:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Kia EV6 vs BMW i4 | Which EV would you choose?

Voted for the EV6.

Its a rebadged Ioniq 6 which is getting rave reviews. My friend is trying to buy one of those for a while and finding one has been extremely hard.
Old 21st June 2022, 03:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting comparison of these new EV kids in the block.

Since EV's are invoking a lot of interest not just in the market but also for me from a personal level as I am exploring albeit a little "unhurriedly" for an EV as our second car option.

My vote is going to be slightly different keeping multiple parameters in mind.

India Market- It will be a Kia EV6 without blinking an eyelid as its easily the superior car amongst the two from almost every aspect except only from one- Build Quality which will be superior in a BMW.

US Market- There is no i4 here but, directly an i4 M50 which is an M Performance EV with some mind boggling performance numbers. However, it's very expensive as its starts from $67,000 onwards. Knowing BMW, I will end up at $80,000 mark if I start building my car. This will be way superior even to Kia EV6 GT (Upcoming release of their performance version by end of 2022)

General and Overall Perspective- I would vote for Kia EV6 as we really need something fresh in the market that breaks the monopoly of Tesla's with similar tech to boot. Another reason is, I got tired of looking at Teslas.

Here in Seattle, almost every 2nd or 3rd car is one.

Lately, I started seeing a lot more EV6 on road. Yesterday, I spotted two of them (White and Red). Red looks gorgeous.

Kia EV6 vs BMW i4 | Which EV would you choose?-img_1968.jpg

I enjoyed driving the Kia EV6 GT Line.

Nice car and enjoyable performance. Tech in car is fabulous. I was impressed with Augmented Reality HUD and actual cameras for Blind Spot Monitoring. Both are very useful technology.

Except for some shiny bits, interiors are also beautiful.

I was given a quote of $67,000 (a markup of $8,000) over MSRP if I want to order one. This definitely is in my shortlist and will wait for the initial brouhaha to die down before deciding if I should order one.

mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 17:31   #18
BHPian

Have planned test drives for EV6 (24-06) and i4 (01-07) in the coming weeks as I already decided Ioniq 5 is not for me (link (Driving Impressions : Hyundai Ioniq 5)). The test drive i4 will be the edrive40 version, but I am not sure if it is the one with air suspension or not. Kia EV6 will be an RWD model with largest pack.

I am quite looking forward to both these test drives as EV6 (1885kg) seems to be ~240kgs ligher than i4 (2125kg) on paper, but not sure how the suspension kinematics + body type going to affect the drive. Anyway, my benchmark will be my current Tesla model 3 SR+ which is a RWD model weighing in at about 1740kgs. Though I voted for i4, I would still give a chance to EV6 just because it is lighter.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 21st June 2022 at 17:34.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 19:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Have planned test drives for EV6 (24-06) and i4 (01-07) in the coming weeks as I already decided Ioniq 5 is not for me (link (Driving Impressions : Hyundai Ioniq 5)).
Would love to read your driving impressions Carthick. Look forward to a detailed post on the experience and the review.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 00:44   #20
BHPian

One major issue with the i4 will be the ground clearance. UK Spec is 125mm of ground clearance which would mean it has 10mm less ground clearance than a Huracan! Also mind you this is supposed to be UNLADEN height.

Unless you live in a city with absolutely pristine roads and no speed breakers, I don't see how one would feel comfortable babying the car on every speed breaker/pothole. If they raise the suspension for India, the ride and handling would be affected as well. Yes, the interiors will be leagues ahead in terms of build quality and brand value, but those are the only areas where it'll be ahead.
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have planned test drives for EV6 (24-06) and i4 (01-07) in the coming weeks as I already decided Ioniq 5 is not for me (link (Driving Impressions : Hyundai Ioniq 5)). The test drive i4 will be the edrive40 version, but I am not sure if it is the one with air suspension or not. Kia EV6 will be an RWD model with largest pack.

I am quite looking forward to both these test drives as EV6 (1885kg) seems to be ~240kgs ligher than i4 (2125kg) on paper, but not sure how the suspension kinematics + body type going to affect the drive. Anyway, my benchmark will be my current Tesla model 3 SR+ which is a RWD model weighing in at about 1740kgs. Though I voted for i4, I would still give a chance to EV6 just because it is lighter.
Nice to know about your scheduled drives of the EV6 and i4. Do you have the regular i4 in Europe? Here in US, I see only the M version and not the regular version.

Would be interesting to see your comparison as its Apples vs. Apples as almost each and every spec stacks up to each other. Comparing it with an i4M 50 would not be fair.

Your reviews are pretty detailed and exhaustive. I just don't have that much of patience to put down so much details.

Looking forward to it 2/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
One major issue with the i4 will be the ground clearance.
What happened to your EV buying decision? Are you getting one anytime soon?

Also, I don't recall which part of US you reside in?
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What happened to your EV buying decision? Are you getting one anytime soon?

Also, I don't recall which part of US you reside in?
Hey. I am still considering options but just to clarify I'm in India, Not the US. My brother lives in the US, and I spend 2 months a year there. He owns the Polestar 2. He is in the Bay Area.

Honestly, the EV6 is the only practical option here in the semi-luxury segment. The i4 will be too impractical with its GC and space. The XC40 Recharge is too small albeit the most powerful car on offer.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Would love to read your driving impressions..
Quote:
Looking forward to it 2/7.
Thanks. Will try to do justice for the expectations

Quote:
Do you have the regular i4 in Europe? Here in US, I see only the M version and not the regular version.

Would be interesting to see your comparison as its Apples vs. Apples as almost each and every spec stacks up to each other.
Yes, we get the regular i4 eDrive40 too and it is one of the most sought after here, as it is fast enough, RWD and has more range than i4 M50. From an executive sport sedan point of view, the eDrive40 makes more sense from business/work+family users. I looked at the US website and both the versions are available there too.

In India, we get the adaptive M suspension for the launch edition (along with some other goodies), but it is a 640EUR option for the eDrive40 here in Europe. This is interesting because, I presume tweaking the ride height is much easier with the adaptive M suspension than with the regular one.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 15:35   #24

Quote:

Hello, Just curious if you were able to test drive both the cars? If so, what's your opinion ?

Thanks,
anishpraji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 17:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishpraji View Post
what's your opinion ?
As mentioned in one of my previous posts, EV6 drive is done. I will write a detailed post once the i4 test drive is done this Friday.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 28th June 2022 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks