Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Kia EV6 104 39.39%
BMW i4 160 60.61%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 07:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

Kia EV6 vs BMW i4 | Which EV would you choose?

Name:  Kia EV6 vs BMW i4.png
Views: 880
Size:  20.3 KB

At present, in the Indian EV market, there are only two cars competing in the Rs. 50 lakh - Rs. 1 crore price bracket - the Kia EV6 and the BMW i4. Both have been launched in the recent weeks only.

Kia EV6:

The EV6 is Kia’s first ground-up EV. It is a crossover, based on Hyundai Group's Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP) and features Kia's "Opposites United" design philosophy. The car is equipped with adaptive LED headlamps and LED tail lamps with an LED light bar as well as sequential turn-indicators. The car rides on 19-inch alloy wheels. It is available in 5 colours – Moonscape, Snow White Pearl, Runaway Red, Aurora Black Pearl and Yacht Blue.

Features include a panoramic dual 12.3-inch curved displays, a head-up display, a Meridian sound system with 14 speakers, an electric sunroof, electric seats with 'Zero G' function, cruise control with stop & go functionality and vehicle-to-load. On the safety front, the EV6 comes equipped with 8 airbags, 360-degree camera, adaptive LED headlights, all-wheel disc brakes with ABS and brake assist, ESC, hill-start assist control, multi collision brake assist, VSM as well as ADAS.

It is offered with a permanent magnet synchronous motor and a 77.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack offer a maximum range of 528 km (WLTP cycle) offer a maximum range of 528 km (WLTP cycle). The battery supports ultra-fast charging, which adds 100 km of range in 4.5 minutes. It can be recharged from 10% - 80% in 18 minutes using a 350 kW fast charger, while a 50 kW fast charger takes 73 minutes for the same.

In India, the EV6 is offered in single motor and dual-motor variants. The single motor RWD variant packs 226 BHP and 350 Nm, while the AWD version produces 321 BHP and 605 Nm. The car is priced from Rs. 59.95 – 64.95 lakh (ex-showroom). While the car itself is very competent, would you pay Rs. 65 lakh for a Kia?

Link to Preview

BMW i4:
Kia EV6 vs BMW i4 | Which EV would you choose?-bmw-i4.jpeg

The BMW i4 is a liftback sedan based on the company's CLAR architecture. The car is available in 3 colours - Mineral White Metallic, Skyscraper Grey Metallic and Black Sapphire Metallic. It comes with aero-optimized wheels. Customers can also opt for the M Aerodynamic Kit, which includes M aerodynamic bumpers, 18 or 19-inch M light aerodynamic alloy wheels and M elements in high-gloss black.

Features include a 14.9-inch touchscreen infotainment system with the latest iDrive 8 interface and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. It comes loaded with features like 3-zone automatic climate control, wireless charging, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, Harman Kardon sound system with 17 speakers, Parking Assistant with reverse camera and Reversing Assistant.

The BMW i4 uses a single electric motor with an output of 335 BHP and 430 Nm. It is powered by an 83.9 kWh battery pack that is said to offer a maximum range of 590 km (WLTP cycle). BMW claims a 0-100 km/h time of 5.7 seconds.

The battery can be recharged from 10-80% in 31 minutes using a 205 kW DC charger or in 83 minutes using a 50 kW DC charger. An 11 kW AC charger takes 8.25 hours to charge the battery completely. The car comes with a complimentary wall box charger. The i4 comes with a 2 year / unlimited km warranty. The battery has an 8 years / 1,60,000 km warranty.

The i4 is available in a single eDrive40 Sport variant priced at Rs. 69.90 lakh (ex-showroom). While this makes it more expensive than the EV6, it must be remembered that the BMW badge has a much higher snob value compared to Kia.

Link to Discussion
Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 09:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Kia EV6 vs BMW i4 | Which EV would you choose?

The Kia EV6, without a doubt . Ignore the badge advantage of the BMW, and you'll see the EV6 AWD as a car that is vastly superior. Better looking (hate the BMW grille), built on a proper EV platform (unlike the i4 which is on a modded 3 / 4 Series platform), faster performance, more space, more technology & features. Not to forget, its 800v architecture is a generation or two ahead of what BMW is offering.

The superior EV here is also 5-lakhs cheaper, which will take care of maintenance, tyres & more for 10 years.

Regardless of which way this poll swings, I'm just happy that:

1. There are more options in the 60-70 lakh price bracket. It was completely empty earlier, with the MG ZS EV on one side and a straight jump to the Mercedes EQC on the other.

2. Kia being compared to a BMW? Wow, that says a lot about where Hyundai-Kia have come. What the heck are the older stalwarts like Honda & Toyota doing? Selling newer generations of the same old cars they've been selling for decades (City, Innova, Fortuner).
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia EV6 vs BMW i4 | Which EV would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Kia EV6, without a doubt, built on a proper EV platform
We should wait for test rides (if that’s an option even) on normal roads before we can have a conclusion. From my limited experience with Model 3, I can feel the extra weight of the batteries affecting the suspension. BMW has done the right thing by giving an Air suspension. For youngsters like my son, this is not important, and they look at only technology, so I guess BMW will appeal more to older adults like me and Kia to youngsters like you

Long-term reliability on Kia can be a question mark too. Also, as I mentioned before, due to the number of hatches we have, EV6 will gel more with regular cars, whereas i4 will scream attention with that big mouth.

With Volvo XC40 coming in, we are looking at a change in EV space in the next 12-24 months.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2022 at 10:45.
Turbanator is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

I would want to see both the cars in person, drive both cars and understand their respective tech specs very closely before I can decide which one gets my vote. Definitely wont be swayed by badge value alone, either way.

In terms of looks (from what is evident from photos), the EV6 stands head and shoulders above, including on overall design, spot on proportions - its just incredibly handsome. Internal space also seems to be superior (to the extent one can judge from pics) as does the boot space (important to me).

Separately, isn’t it a class of three and not two, even pending the XC 40 Charge launch? With the electric Mini Cooper also in this 50L -1cr groupset?
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The Kia EV6, without a doubt . Ignore the badge advantage of the BMW, and you'll see the EV6 AWD as a car that is vastly superior. Better looking (hate the BMW grille), built on a proper EV platform (unlike the i4 which is on a modded 3 / 4 Series platform), faster performance, more space, more technology & features. Not to forget, its 800v architecture is a generation or two ahead of what BMW is offering.

The superior EV here is also 5-lakhs cheaper, which will take care of maintenance, tyres & more for 10 years.

Regardless of which way this poll swings, I'm just happy that:

1. There are more options in the 60-70 lakh price bracket. It was completely empty earlier, with the MG ZS EV on one side and a straight jump to the Mercedes EQC on the other.

2. Kia being compared to a BMW? Wow, that says a lot about where Hyundai-Kia have come. What the heck are the older stalwarts like Honda & Toyota doing? Selling newer generations of the same old cars they've been selling for decades (City, Innova, Fortuner).
Also don’t forget the very innovative V2L feature! I can see myself using the outdoor adapter for chilling with friends at a beach or dam or even a farm house. Not to mention playing savior in case someone you know has a dead EV and needs that little charge to get to a proper charger. Also the indoor plug can be used to work on the go to power your laptop etc. This one guy in the Uk actually managed to power his entire RV with the EV6 overnight.

Also the vehicle has a feature called Utility Mode, which basically allows you to shut off all driving functions and aids to save power and run the climate control and lights only. Basically saving precious juice if you’re sleeping in the car itself. I believe the also sell an air mattress in Korea that’s custom designed for the EV6.

This is above and beyond the other qualities mentioned by you.

I feel sadly Toyota threw its lead in the clean car space. They’ve been sleeping on it for whatever reason. Their new Bz4x(makes sense but what a terrible name) looks as weird as it’s nomenclature and probably won’t have mass market appeal. With their lead with the Prius they should’ve had a BEV by now. But I guess they’ve woken up from their slumber and announced a line up for the near future!

Last edited by venom_op : 17th June 2022 at 11:31.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 14:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

It's Kia EV6 for me. It is a ground up EV and will be a better in many aspects compared to i4. Also the impractical 125mm GC is a deal breaker.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:55   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Separately, isn’t it a class of three and not two, even pending the XC 40 Charge launch?
Volvo not launched yet. Pricing unknown, though a leak hinted at a ridiculous 75 lakhs.

Mini = too small, and too limited an allocation for India (30 units), so really inconsequential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
BMW has done the right thing by giving an Air suspension. For youngsters like my son, this is not important, and they look at only technology, so I guess BMW will appeal more to older adults like me and Kia to youngsters like you
BMW has air suspension just at the rear, correct? I think it's more about handling the load of the batteries than the usual air suspension reasons (ride comfort, handling, GC).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 19:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Volvo not launched yet. Pricing unknown, though a leak hinted at a ridiculous 75 lakhs.
They will do lower than 65, local SA is pretty sure. They may give a surprise launch at 60 as well.

Quote:
Mini = too small, and too limited an allocation for India (30 units), so really inconsequential.
Correct, range is very short too.

Quote:
BMW has air suspension just at the rear, correct? I think it's more about handling the load of the batteries than the usual air suspension reasons (ride comfort, handling, GC).
Right, no adjustments though, as it is just on the rear, same like what they used to do in previous generation 7 series.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th June 2022 at 20:08.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 11:07   #9
BHPian

The BMW looks like a generic sedan with one distinguishing visual element, the hideous grill. The Kia is beautiful. No comparison.
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 12:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

For that money definitely a BMW. How much ever capable is EV6, I wouldn’t spend 50+ lakhs on a Kia.
And since EV’s are generally loud to look at, I feel i4 stands out in the crowd than EV6 (personal opinion though).
Also I have more confidence on BMWs engineering capability and feel it will age better too.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th June 2022 at 12:31.
sunikkat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted for EV6. It is a better car and is cheaper as well. The transition to EV will nullify a lot of advantages that the traditional luxury brands had. Engine was a big area that Germans had an advantage over Koreans. The incremental engineering needed for higher output was very high in the ICE era. With electric power trains, even the chinese manufacturers can get access to this raw power.

The only area where Germans have an advantage is the ride and handling department. And that difference is not perceivable to average joes like me. I will prefer the cheaper and more powerful Kia compared to BMW.
padmrajravi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 18:35   #12
MrA
BHPian

KIA might be the shiny/flashy new thing but unless they’ve made some big changes it’s no match to the build quality of BMW. Car looks good though but that’s not everything.
MrA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 20:31   #13
BHPian

OT: Pretty much how we see reviews on mobile comparing an X70 pro+ with an S 21 Ultra in that last section of alternatives and conclusions!!!
IMHO, Kia might have ventured into that premium territory of BMWs, Mercs, and Audis. As of now, the poll results affirm that. The performance gain on EV6 is theoretical while having a smaller range (still an important consideration). At the end of the day, the brand allure of a BMW is also a strong factor in this segment.
Only if they could have shaved off just a million from that sticker price EV6 would have become a best seller in that segment again.
Nevertheless, God bless competition, be it mobiles or cars.
Cheers
Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 21:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrA View Post
KIA might be the shiny/flashy new thing but unless they’ve made some big changes it’s no match to the build quality of BMW. Car looks good though but that’s not everything.
I agree. Also specifications don't say everything about the car. Android Phones have much better specifications but the iPhone still beats them with it's seamless OS. The EVs are also now more electronics and less of mechanical components. Looking forward to the real-life reviews.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 12:04   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for the BMW, I am sure that the beamer will have much better quality interiors and will noise levels will be lower than the Kia. I am not sure how much kia has improved in the past decade or so, but, my old experiences with Kia cars in the US was fairly poor in terms of interior quality.
I would be happy to be proven wrong though and then BMW would have a fight on its hands.
The EV shift will level the playing field among the germans and the Koreans as they have always lagged in terms engine quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks