Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2022, 21:48   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nexon EV catches fire in Mumbai; Tata Motors releases official statement

With more and more EVs on the roads, fire departments need to adapt to this new reality too. Conventional fire fighting techniques won’t be adequate anymore.

Luckily, EVs catching fire are very rare

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/29/elec...heres-why.html

Quote:
However, when fires do occur, electric vehicles with lithium ion batteries burn hotter, faster and require far more water to reach final extinguishment, Sutcliffe says. And the batteries can re-ignite hours or even days after the fire is initially controlled, leaving salvage yards, repair shops and others at risk.
The Dutch fire brigades have been using a dunk tank. When there is a danger of re-igniting, the car is put in the dunk tank for several days. They have arrangements with special salvage team who provide the dunk tank and monitor the car whilst in there.

We also see concerns from apartment owners and parking garages alike. Having an EV going up in fire in a garage is going to be a very different challenge from a conventional petrol/diesel fire underground.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 23:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keneida View Post
I travel by this road daily, I would say that the Fire dept did a good job of containing the fire, The road has a black patch where the rear of the car would have been. Now DRDO has stepped in for a federal investigation. https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/tops...a67c8b3842646f
Firstly I would like to thank Team-bhp for approving my membership. So glad to be a part of this community. This is my first post.

Yeah you're right. I received a video from my friend who was in West at that time (I was on my way back home after some work in BKC). He saw the vehicle after it was extinguished completely. Attaching some snapshots from the video.

Also I really do hope that this is just an isolated incident. With two-wheeler EVs catching fire even my cousin who was planning to buy a EV scooter has now been planning to buy a TVS Jupiter
Attached Thumbnails
Nexon EV catches fire in Mumbai; Tata Motors releases official statement-whatsapp-image-20220625-11.17.40-pm.jpeg  

Nexon EV catches fire in Mumbai; Tata Motors releases official statement-whatsapp-image-20220625-11.17.42-pm.jpeg  

Nexon EV catches fire in Mumbai; Tata Motors releases official statement-whatsapp-image-20220625-11.17.45-pm.jpeg  

eashan_sg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 14:49   #33
BHPian

My EV Max which was planned for registration on Monday (27.06.22) has been delayed till God knows when, because the dealer in my City has received orders from the parent company to not register any more EV cars till further orders, after the fire incident.
Anybody else facing a similar situation ?
Also any information from experts here as to why they have stopped registration and when they would restart or whether there is going to be any recall would be welcome.
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 19:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Anybody else facing a similar situation ?
Also any information from experts here as to why they have stopped registration and when they would restart or whether there is going to be any recall would be welcome.
I was supposed to take delivery on Sunday 26/6/22 from Madurai.
Friday evening got a call from my SA that they’ve put all deliveries on hold.
My EV max completed RTO registration and accessory installation and is still waiting in the yard.
Manager called me and said they might get some information tomorrow 27/6/22
Frustrating indeed.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2022 at 19:41. Reason: Fixing broken quoted post.
pradheepsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
As per an image floating around in social media, I checked the registration info in Vahan, its a brand new vehicle registered towards end of April 2022.
Does anyone know if this is EV or EV Max ?
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Does anyone know if this is EV or EV Max ?
Considering it was registered end of April and Max wasn't launched until May 11, 2022 or so, it would be the original Nexon EV ie 1.0.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:13   #37
BHPian

Came across this article.

Quote:
In China, 640 EVs caught fire in the first quarter of 2022, up 32 percent, that means that there are seven EVs catching fire per day.
Quote:
Although electric vehicles (EV) are heralded as the future of mobility, however, it seems that EV manufacturers has yet to get a handle on the issue of battery catching fire. It is barely summer in China, the biggest EV market in the world, and yet there are already plenty of reports of EVs catching fire.

Out of 86 reported fire accidents, Chinese brand BYD has the most reported fires. But it is hardly surprising as BYD is the largest EV manufacturer in China.

According to the data released by the fire and rescue department, there are four main types of fire accidents; catching fire while charging, catching fire while driving, catching fire while parked, or catching fire after a collision.

Out of 86 reported incidents only 7 incidents were due to unknown causes while 31 occurred while the car was parked, 22 occurred during charging, 20 occurred when the car was still on the move, and six occurred after a collision.

A further report by the Beijing Institute of Technology also revealed that 38.5 percent of the incidents occurred while in a static state and 27.5 percent of incidents occurred while the EV was charging.

About 66 percent of fire incidents happen in hot months while 34 percent occurred during cold months. Fire occurrences during the winter months is largely due to charging.

Low temperature DC fast charging can cause the battery to catch fire if the electronic control systems failed to preheat the battery. Another cause is lithium carbonate precipitation and the formation of lithium dendrites in ternary lithium batteries and lithium iron phosphate batteries.

As for catching fire after a collision, the China Passenger Car Association explains that the cells in the battery pack might get punctured in a collision causing other components to short circuit.

This will in turn will raise the internal temperature of the batteries causing the pack to overheat and catch fire.

Regardless, the increasing number of EV fires can also be looked at from a positive point of view. The increase in EV fires is proportionate to the increase in EV ownership in China.

In February 2022, EV sales data shows that BYD sold close to 89,000 EVs, that is a year-on-year increase of 749.04 percent. Note that the data only shows for one brand, if you were to take into account other EV brands in China, the number of EVs sold will be in the 200,000s.
Name:  42d6806d97a944649d27d033b32232ec_800.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  39.6 KB

Source:
Torino is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I travel by this road daily, I would say that the Fire dept did a good job of containing the fire, The road has a black patch where the rear of the car would have been. Now DRDO has stepped in for a federal investigation. https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/tops...a67c8b3842646f
So another bit of info: The Fire dept controlled the fire, Smoke was present. They took the car to the nearest RTO police station. The car caught fire again. So the Police, Fire and TATA engineers literally dunked the car in the adjacent storm water drain to contain further chemical reaction and flames.

Owner was compensated with top of the range Nexon EV, Which he calmly refused and opted for Harrier as compensation.
Keneida is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Owner was compensated with top of the range Nexon EV, Which he calmly refused and opted for Harrier as compensation.
Is this true? Compensation with a swanky new car? Then this might open doors to a whole new dimension in customer satisfaction. I guess we have had many incidents of ICE cars catching fire not due to any mistakes/unwarranted unofficial modifications by the customer.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 00:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So another bit of info: The Fire dept controlled the fire, Smoke was present. They took the car to the nearest RTO police station. The car caught fire again. So the Police, Fire and TATA engineers literally dunked the car in the adjacent storm water drain to contain further chemical reaction and flames.

Is this a rumour or a correct news? It would be better if you post a link to the news source.
Old 19th July 2022, 00:49   #41
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Is this true? Compensation with a swanky new car? Then this might open doors to a whole new dimension in customer satisfaction. I guess we have had many incidents of ICE cars catching fire not due to any mistakes/unwarranted unofficial modifications by the customer.
I think this was obvious. Either he makes noise and becomes the headline interview on news channels saying I ran for my life when I smelt smoke etc or he gets paid and sign a NDA. I would have expected him to just take the money he paid for the car but seems Tata wanted to make it look like even the “fire” customer opted for another EV. Guy pushed for a Harrier from the sounds of it.

This is probably the common practice in all EV fires. Get a new car or the money you paid refunded and sign a NDA. With Tata having dealt with the Nano fire bad publicity, they probably would have even gone higher if this guy played hard ball.
Old 19th July 2022, 09:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Is this a rumour or a correct news? It would be better if you post a link to the news source.
Its not a news or Rumor, just the developments of the events which followed. Source : I stay 10 minutes away from the incident site and i kind of know the owner who stays 10 minutes away in another direction.
Keneida is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 17:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I guess we have had many incidents of ICE cars catching fire not due to any mistakes/unwarranted unofficial modifications by the customer.
This is the biggest concern I have with the Nexon fire. It appears to have caught fire spontaneously. ICE fires - correct me if I'm wrong - are usually due to modifications by customers or accidents/impact to the fuel tank.
Old 20th July 2022, 18:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdhikR View Post
This is the biggest concern I have with the Nexon fire. It appears to have caught fire spontaneously. ICE fires - correct me if I'm wrong - are usually due to modifications by customers or accidents/impact to the fuel tank.
There can be many reasons for the ICE cars to catch fire and similar with EV as well. We have to wait till we get any official update from Government or Tata investigations.

Also here is the tracker for the vehicles catching fire within TBhp

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...-india-49.html (Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India)
Old 20th July 2022, 18:53   #45
BHPian

Waiting for an official investigation summary from Tata. A month passed, but they are as tight lipped as a cat running away with a mouse in its mouth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks