Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 08:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Tesla Model Y Performance- 2022 Model

Let's start the thread with some positives and negatives.

Positives

1. Eye Popping Acceleration (especially in performance model)
2. Battery Technology (Proved to last until 200K miles with 94% battery used)
3. Loaded with Technology & Gizmos
4. Full Self Driving and Auto Pilot Capabilities
4. Excellent Performance
5. Broad Network of Superchargers and decent charging timelines
6. Every Tesla vehicle has achieved NHTSA 5-star safety rating

Negatives

1. Tesla design is subjective and not liked by all
2. Quality Issues like panel gaps, rattles, and paint issues are a common problem.(They are improving but, one odd issues always found by owners)
3. Interior quality is not equivalent to price paid
4. Lack of instrument cluster is quite distracting
5. Lack of ambient lighting inside cabin at night takes getting used to
6. Expensive-Price has been steadily rising every few months since launched
7. Tesla’s insurance is expensive compared to ICE cars
8. Tesla repairs are exorbitant

I’m not sure if you read my recent post on driving a Tesla Model 3 (Basic Model) that I test drove a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link of that post :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5356682 (Driving Impressions | Kia EV6 & BMW i4)

A quick background, I have driven the Tesla’s several times with first being a Model X back in 2018, Model 3 (A few times in past) and once a Model Y in 2020. However, all those times I was in a different state of mind and drove them just to enjoy the experience and never drove it from an enthusiast perspective nor from a perspective of a buyer.

As is human nature, you start showing interest in something only if you are consider acquiring it.

Frankly speaking, we don't have a real need for another car but, I was thinking it's finally time that I add an EV to our garage to complete an ICE & EV Portfolio.

Over the last few months, I have driven the following EV's to get a hang of what's out there in the market :

Polestar 2

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5309676 (Polestar 2: Volvo teases Tesla Model 3 rival)

Kia EV 6 GT

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5317218 (Kia launches EV faster than Porsche’s Taycan 4S)

As you know, both these cars are expensive EV cars and buzzing with praises on the internet by several reviewers. In my opinion, they are great choices for EV buyers with a budget of $60,000. However, after driving my BMW, I am rather spoilt with some great driving characteristics and a really powerful engine. Due to this factor, I am not easily impressed with most cars that I have driven since last 1.5 years because my BMW is now a benchmark for me personally and would like the next car to be as impressive as BMW or better.

If you have followed my ownership reports on the forum (Have plenty of them on both cars and motorcycles), all those purchases have been purely from heart and I have decide to buy an auto only if it struck a chord with me and usually most of my purchases have been impromptu including my BMW. With this purchase, I decided to change my buying modus operandi and think strategically and more importantly buy from a long term perspective as I seem to lose interest in my vehicles after 2-4 years at maximum.

Both Polestar 2 and EV 6 GT Line (Top of the specs line) were nice to drive but, it left me wanting for more. I’m looking for an exhilarating experience when I sit behind the wheel and neither of these cars gave me that feeling.

I recently test drove the Tesla Model 3 (RWD Version) and it was an amazing experience and came close to what I was looking for. It was a base version and also despite the fact that TD vehicles of Tesla come locked at 85mph for top speed, it was a very nice experience. As per clarification provided by Tesla sales person, top speed lock at 85mph does not rob us from the acceleration joy that Teslas are famous for which was a big relief.

I was working with Jason who is a sales rep at Tesla Showroom in Seattle (uDUB area) and he was an amazing guy. I did a TD of the 3 just because I had some time to kill and was in that area that particular day of the weekend and he was really amazing and helpful with information and helping me get the car out on the road for an hour.

After the 3 RWD Test Drive which I enjoyed, I told Jason, I need something that shakes me up a bit so requested him to gimme a call when performance versions are available for Test Drive.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from Jason within 2-3 days and he told me they got a couple of brand new Tesla Model Y Performance (Hereafter, will refer to as YP) in stock and he wanted to know if I can keep them overnight to enjoy the full experience. Which BHPian denies such an opportunity? I jumped at it and grabbed it with both hands. LOL!!

However, there was a caveat. He said , he can do only Sunday as rest of time the vehicles are needed for test drives. So last Sunday, I picked up a lovely YP at around 2:00pm and spent the whole Sunday (until almost midnight) driving it around various areas like :

1.Seattle Downtown

This area is like a roller coaster ride. Road goes up and then down. It’s an amazing place to enjoy the city life and also drive the car around.

2. Snoqualmie Falls and Pass Area

Nice fast freeway (Interstate 90 so the speed limits are higher), Plenty of backroads and sweeping mountain roads to get a feeling of how the car performs in terms of acceleration, handling and ride quality.

3. Area near my home which is wooded and lots of backroads and tight turns.

Other aspects of driving experience which was important is :

Parking in my garage (To evaluate if it fits in my smallish garage)
Experience charging the car in a Supercharger

With that said, let me share a brief experience of some of major details of how a Tesla Model Y 2022 drives. There are plenty of reviews and videos on YT so will keep this brief.

Acceleration

Tesla’s are loved, adored and worshipped primarily for their “Instant Acceleration”. Being an EV vehicle, there is nothing called turbo lag. There is literally no difference from touching the pedal to car lurching forward. It happens instantly.

It was a great feeling in Polestar 2 and EV 6. But, Tesla Model Y performance acceleration is a completely different level. We are talking of nearly 500 HP with a timed 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.

When you step on gas, the car feels like its launching and takes off with an insane rush and if you are not prepared, it feels like your brain is squished against your skull.

This has to be experienced to know the feeling. It’s one of the key feature for which its bought by everyone.

Steering Feel

Steering Feels lovely to hold. Coming from a BMW, I would like it to be little more chunkier but, its still nice. Their is tons of feedback from the steering and is extremely direct. Sometimes, I felt the steering was too direct for my liking. Also, the play is fast, accurate and direct.

I mean when you turn the steering even an inch, you know what the front wheels are doing. Well, I think that’s a bit extreme. I would like to turn the steering more before the feedback starts coming in.

Nevertheless, awesome steering feel in Sports mode.

Braking is one of best feeling of EV's. I drove the car for little over 250 miles and I may have touched the brake 5-6 times at the most. But, I can tell you they are not that great. Regen braking is more than enough to control your car and bring it down from any insane speeds to standstill depending on regen mode used. It may take a little while for new drivers but, once you are used to regenerate braking, it is impossible to go back to normal braking style, it's that good.

Handling

When I took the car and was driving it on freeway and was in ‘Chill Mode”, I felt a little bit of bobbing (like the car is going up and down) but, when I moved to sports mode, the car felt way more planted and stuck to corners pretty good.

I realized later there is no change to suspension from Chill to Sports so it might have been a placebo affect or due to road condition.

But, handling is extremely good considering the low center of gravity as all battery packs are bang in middle of the car to give a nice distribution of weight.

Ride Quality

It rides on 20” Ubertine Wheels (Love these wheels) with red brake calipers. It feels little hard if the road conditions are bad which is pretty rare out here.

To put it plainly, It's neither plush nor too harsh. It feels somewhere right in dead-center. I was pleased with this set-up.

Build Quality

I was keen to know if quality has improved as there is so much talk about panel gaps, sound insulation etc. There was no complaints at all in my TD car on panel gaps which might be for obvious reasons.

Cabin was deathly silent except for that light hissing sound from battery. My mom who rode with us for a long time enjoyed it so much that she started complaining about my BMW and said it was so noisy and felt dangerous etc..etc. This car is so quiet and nice. She asked me to buy it ASAP. I told her if she is paying for it, I will for sure. Haha!

Music System

This is one of best stock music system I heard in any car till date. My BMW’s H&K feels pedestrian in front of it.

Not sure if its due to silent cabin but, I am an amateur audiophile and I know a little bit about music quality (Spent lot of time and money on ICE during my initial car days). Sound quality and volume level is seriously amazing.

There is a couple of videos with music on so you get a feel of the sound quality. Listen with headphones on. Hope YT does not stop the music or downgrades the bitrate.

Interior Space

There is tons of space in YP, both at front and rear. There is no bump in rear which is dreaded by all of us from ICE cars. I was super impressed with space in front, rear and even boot is humongous.

Panoramic Roof

Another biggest USP of Teslas is the amazing single glass of pane they use for roof. It looks surreal and feels like sitting in an aquarium. There is a small portion in one of videos covering the panoramic roof shot by my wife.

Technology

It literally feels like driving a computer. It’s an amazing feeling with so much technology with cameras all around the vehicle warning on various things like Blind Spot, Cars in next lane, Cars in front and back. It even shows the traffic lights, traffic cones on road etc.

Feels like you are smothered with a layer of security. Lol!

Night Driving

I was bit shocked at first as cabin was pitch dark and I had a tough time to adjust my eyes as there is literally no lights inside cabin except the 15” IPAD. Haha!

I’m used to a lovely cabin of my BMW with ambient lighting and different color modes. This is absolutely stark in contrast. Light throw and spread is phenomenal lighting up the entire road ahead. No complaints there. I reckon this will take some getting used to.

Parking

I have an EV charger at home but, I could not experience it as the wire/adapter was not available in showroom. Ours is a smaller garage and Y should fit in albeit little tightly.

Supercharger Experience

Next day (Monday), I had to return the car to showroom so enroute, I stopped at a supercharger and spent 20-25 mins charging the car. I was shocked to know the superchargers can charge the car at 265 miles per hour. Some superchargers do it at even higher speed (I think up to 500 Miles/hour).

While charging , I spent that time playing a car game to kill the time. It was super fun.

Pricing

I was shocked to know that a Tesla Model Y Performance in Seattle will come at a landing price of $85,000. <<Shocked>>. One of the primary contributor is high sales tax in Washington state which is 11% and Tesla removing the $7,500 EV rebate.

Gosh, what is the world coming to? They don’t want us enthusiasts to buy these amazing products. This is some real big money for a Tesla and my enthusiasm has taken a serious dip after building the car.

To summarize, it was a brilliant experience and after driving a Tesla, it’s hard to go back to other EV’s in same segment as the pros are simply too many to ignore. No wonder the Teslas are selling like hot cakes and always on back-order with demand being multiple folds than supply.

Driving towards Snoqualmie Falls.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3709.jpg

Side Profile of Tesla Model Y Performance @ Snoqualmie Falls, WA.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3744.jpg

Side by Side with a Mustang- Mustang looks like a Miata.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3733.jpg

Y is a big guy. Will be a tight fit in our garage.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3767.jpg

Spacious front seats. I am extremely impressed with space in front as passenger can stretch their legs quite far ahead.

You walk into a Y as opposed to fall into a Model 3. lol!

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3799.jpg

Equally spacious interiors for back seats.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3800.jpg

Y getting supercharged at 265 miles/hour.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3791.jpg

My first experience charing an Electric Vehicle. It was simple and lovely feeling.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3789.jpg

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3788.jpg

Charging and listening to my favorite music.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3787.jpg

Took the family out for a lovely "Indo-Chinese" meal in the Y. The food here is exactly like how we get in India. Masaledar (Spicy) Indian style Chinese.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3748.jpg

Heading out in the morning to return the car with a hot cuppa of coffee to give me company.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3770.jpg

Playing a car game while waiting for car to get supercharged. You can use the steering wheel to play the game and use brake/accelerator pedal to stop or accelerate.
Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3795.jpg

Technology is amazing. Camera picks out every object on road including those traffic cones.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3782.jpg

Comfortable driving position with great visibility.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3706.jpg

Live camera comes on each time you switch on indicator.

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_3779.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2022 at 07:16. Reason: As requested
mobike008 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 08:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Here are some videos of the test drive of the YP.

Cheers !!

As we approach Seattle downtown. This view always takes my breath away. we exit a dark tunnel and suddenly this view comes in front, bridge with lake on both sides. There are multiple ways to enter Seattle and this is by far most favorite entry point into the city. Surreal !!

This route is Interstate 90 with broad freeway lanes that is not just straight but, keeps winding every few miles with mountains and trees on both sides and is a gorgeous stretch to drive and also letting you keep up a speeds of 80mph or more. This route takes us to many other beautiful spots other than Snoqualmie Falls.

Headphones are recommended. Check the stock ICE of Tesla Model Y Performance. Mind-blowing Sound Quality !!

Panoramic Roof of YP- Feels like being inside an aquarium. Amazing Experience!!

Driving the YP at night- It was a different and dark experience.

Lights are extremely powerful and have a pretty wide throw. It's the dark cabin that needs getting used to.

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd July 2022 at 01:59.
mobike008 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 23:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

My first brush with a Tesla.

This was back in April 2018 when we visited my sister in Boston. Her close pal had recently bought the Tesla Model X and she came to my sister's home and we all were excited to see a Tesla as it was pretty novel back then.

She gave us a demo of a unique feature where the Model X dances to a Christmas tune and we were flabbergasted to see this feature and kids loved it like anything.

Then she took us for a ride and I happened to drive this car briefly also and I was floored by the acceleration.

Its price ($120,000) made be cringe.

They still have this car and I get to see and ride in it whenever we visit Boston.

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th July 2022 at 23:09.
mobike008 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 07:18   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Electric Cars section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 11:32   #5
BHPian

Great write up, it matches my own experience of owning an identical MYP for last month or so. The car is amazing and there is nothing like it out there if one is willing to ignore minor paint quality/panel gap type issues. I'm loving every single second of owning it.

Got its delivery on June 18 2022 right at Fremont factory. Was built on June 15 2022 so 3 days total between it getting built at factory to getting it into customer hand. Of course it set me back by close to 73K but its damn worth it considering some people are paying 60K for Telluride and Rav 4 Primes of the world.

Last edited by lexusES350 : 25th July 2022 at 11:34.
lexusES350 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Tesla Model Y Performance- 2022 Model

Let's start the thread with some positives and negatives.

Positives

1. Eye Popping Acceleration (especially in performance model)
2. Battery Technology (Proved to last until 200K miles with 94% battery used)
3. Loaded with Technology & Gizmos
4. Full Self Driving and Auto Pilot Capabilities
4. Excellent Performance
5. Broad Network of Superchargers and decent charging timelines
6. Every Tesla vehicle has achieved NHTSA 5-star safety rating

Negatives

1. Tesla design is subjective and not liked by all
2. Quality Issues like panel gaps, rattles, and paint issues are a common problem.(They are improving but, one odd issues always found by owners)
3. Interior quality is not equivalent to price paid
4. Lack of instrument cluster is quite distracting
5. Lack of ambient lighting inside cabin at night takes getting used to
6. Expensive-Price has been steadily rising every few months since launched
7. Tesla’s insurance is expensive compared to ICE cars
8. Tesla repairs are exorbitant
Here is my take on it after owning a Model Y (long range AWD 2021 model, on 20" inch wheels) since late 2020.

Agree with most of your points. On the pros, especially on acceleration, technology, space for passengers and cargo, audio system etc. I do not agree with the "performance" part of it though, yes it does 0-60 in 4 secs, but that's only one dimension of performance.

However, it falls short on everything else for me. Intolerable ride quality is the main culprit, and I can only imagine what it would be on MYP with 21"s (I don't think they have 20"s). Range is never over 200-230 miles in real life at full charge, forget the 300+ they claim. The handling is poor as well, except in straight line. The steering doesn't inspire confidence at all and at high speeds its downright dangerous and car doesn't handle well, IMHO. Any European car, with some luxury or sport heritage, handles FAR better than Teslas' in my opinion, definitely Model Y is the worst handling car among all Teslas'. Self driving / Auto Pilot is basically useless and completely overrated in my experience. Cadillac, Volvo, Hyundai etc. have way better ADAS systems that actually works in real life. There are a lot of rattles, creaks, gaps, fit and finish, paint, panel gap issues etc. which is a sore point for an expensive car. Yes, it will save money at the pump, but also consider that the cost of insurance / repairs of this car is almost twice as a similar ICE car. For instance, I pay roughly $400/6 mos for a 2020 Volvo XC90 and $800/6 mos for Model Y with Geico.

I bought the car in 2020 before all the price increases for $55,900 (MSRP, not including taxes) and now at $70,000 it simply isn't worth it . To each their own.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion because this brand and the CEO has a lot of fan following. All said and done I ended up terminating the lease 2 weeks ago and returned the car (I still had about a year left). I do miss the occasional shenanigans at the traffic lights, but, good riddance overall.
inwester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 23:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
Great write up, it matches my own experience of owning an identical MYP for last month or so. The car is amazing and there is nothing like it out there if one is willing to ignore minor paint quality/panel gap type issues. I'm loving every single second of owning it.

Got its delivery on June 18 2022 right at Fremont factory. Was built on June 15 2022 so 3 days total between it getting built at factory to getting it into customer hand. Of course it set me back by close to 73K but its damn worth it considering some people are paying 60K for Telluride and Rav 4 Primes of the world.
Wow. Congratulations for becoming an owner of a Model Y Performance. It's astonishing to know it was built and delivered in 3 days?

Were you referring to actual build time or order to delivery timeline? I'm little confused here.

Also, how come it costed you only $73K in California? What is sales tax percentage in California? And, do you guys get the EV rebate? It's not available in WA.

MYP in Seattle is $84K with all taxes and fees included for a build that does not include the FSD or Advanced Auto Pilot.

Finally, it would be great to see some pictures of your car (Interiors and Exteriors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Here is my take on it after owning a Model Y (long range AWD 2021 model, on 20" inch wheels) since late 2020.

Agree with most of your points. On the pros, especially on acceleration, technology, space for passengers and cargo, audio system etc. I do not agree with the "performance" part of it though, yes it does 0-60 in 4 secs, but that's only one dimension of performance.
Thanks for sharing your feedback. It’s always great to hear from owners who have actually owned and lived with a vehicle as that feedback becomes the most important.

Glad you agree on above points.

Quote:
However, it falls short on everything else for me. Intolerable ride quality is the main culprit, and I can only imagine what it would be on MYP with 21"s (I don't think they have 20"s). Range is never over 200-230 miles in real life at full charge, forget the 300+ they claim. The handling is poor as well, except in straight line.

The steering doesn't inspire confidence at all and at high speeds its downright dangerous and car doesn't handle well, IMHO. Any European car, with some luxury or sport heritage, handles FAR better than Teslas' in my opinion, definitely Model Y is the worst handling car among all Teslas'.

Self driving / Auto Pilot is basically useless and completely overrated in my experience. Cadillac, Volvo, Hyundai etc. have way better ADAS systems that actually works in real life. There are a lot of rattles, creaks, gaps, fit and finish, paint, panel gap issues etc. which is a sore point for an expensive car. Yes, it will save money at the pump, but also consider that the cost of insurance / repairs of this car is almost twice as a similar ICE car. For instance,
This is quite surprising feedback especially on handling part. Ofcourse, it is an SUV and slightly taller than normal but, even then it felt pretty steady and not overtly bobby on turns and this is coming from my 250 miles drive experience.

Also, I haven’t come across any ownership reviews on YT who have complained about poor handling experience.

I do agree on the slightly harder ride but, I drive a BMW and I am used to a slightly firm ride and actually like it. Anything soft for me is intolerable as it drastically hampers the handling experience.

I did not explore auto pilot much as I didn’t want to risk on a test drive vehicle with family in car so it was engaged to minimum and it worked perfectly fine for me.

I’m curious to know which other European ADAS systems you have experienced in person and what are the key differences? Would be nice to know why and how you think they are better in comparison?

Quote:
I pay roughly $400/6 mos for a 2020 Volvo XC90 and $800/6 mos for Model Y with Geico.
Never use Geico. They are expensive.

Do try Progressive and they are usually 40%-50% cheaper than Geico.

Quote:
I bought the car in 2020 before all the price increases for $55,900 (MSRP, not including taxes) and now at $70,000 it simply isn't worth it . To each their own.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion because this brand and the CEO has a lot of fan following. All said and done I ended up terminating the lease 2 weeks ago and returned the car (I still had about a year left). I do miss the occasional shenanigans at the traffic lights, but, good riddance overall.
I completely agree with you pricing. Tesla slowly but, steadily increasing the prices and now they stand on par with European luxury car maker price bracket.

For example, a BMW i4 M50 would be a tad more expensive than a fully loaded Tesla Model YP and their build quality is leagues ahead.

Now its a good question, whether Tesla's can command that price? From the insane backlog of cars on order and drastic limitation of supply, it seems they are laughing all the way to the bank.

I know quite a few friends who own a Tesla and I have never see them unhappy with their car. They have been only gushing (sans the minor complaints that we all know about) about it and how they can never go back to an ICE car.

But, seeing you're feedback, it's always good to know a different perspective.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 00:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
This is quite surprising feedback especially on handling part. Of course, it is an SUV and slightly taller than normal but, even then it felt pretty steady and not overtly bobby on turns and this is coming from my 250 miles drive experience.

Also, I haven’t come across any ownership reviews on YT who have complained about poor handling experience.

I do agree on the slightly harder ride but, I drive a BMW and I am used to a slightly firm ride and actually like it. Anything soft for me is intolerable as it drastically hampers the handling experience.

I did not explore auto pilot much as I didn’t want to risk on a test drive vehicle with family in car so it was engaged to minimum and it worked perfectly fine for me.

I’m curious to know which other European ADAS systems you have experienced in person and what are the key differences? Would be nice to know why and how you think they are better in comparison?

Never use Geico. They are expensive. Do try Progressive and they are usually 40%-50% cheaper than Geico.

It's pretty well documented. Too bad I didn't read all this before I bought, neither did a test drive as it was during the middle of pandemic in 2020 and I just bought it online basically. So I have no one else to blame for this outcome.

Car and Driver - While the Model Y offers impressive acceleration, it doesn't deliver the same level of driving satisfaction as the Model 3. The SUV body creates a higher center of gravity, which dulls the sharp edge of the Model 3's handling, and the Y's ride is considerably rougher over road imperfections as well.

While the Model Y's acceleration and skidpad grip of 0.94 g are in line with gasoline-powered rivals like the X4 M Competition and the GLC63 S Coupe, it feels clumsy and increasingly unhappy as you probe its cornering limits. The Tesla's ride is noticeably flintier and less refined, and tire impacts resonate through the structure. The Model Y can't hide its 4439-pound weight. Pressing toward that 0.94-g number taxes the Pirelli P Zero rubber, and the suspension never seems to settle down.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Motor Trend - There are other prices to pay, though. As we mentioned in our First Drive report, the Long Range rides surprisingly stiff. Thank goodness Tesla keeps improving its seats because you feel every inch of imperfect pavement even on the small wheels in the non-performance model. Tesla says the ride gets better if you put more people in it, something we can't do right now, but the principle does work for pickup trucks, some of which ride smoother than this thing.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

Autotrader - Rory Reid's review mostly echoes my sentiments. I would say he is pretty accurate.

Its surprising that you drive a BMW and yet find Model Y's handling satisfactory. This was my wife's car who had an 2018 Audi Sportback before and this thing cannot hold a candle to that in terms of handling.

On ADAS, I personally drive a 2020 Volvo XC90 which comes with their Pilot Assist 3.0 and I find that a lot useful and generally more practical than Tesla autopilot (I didn't pay for FSD, so can't comment on that). For instance, Tesla doesn't change lanes for you and the slightest intervention will disable the autosteer and you have to reengage it again. Volvo will not change the lanes either, but it will temporarily let you switch lanes and then it will reengage autosteer automatically. Tesla will slow down on exit ramps, but it doesn't do it always. Volvo doesn't do this at all. I've also experienced Cadillac Super Cruise, which is the industry best in my opinion. Hyundai's Highway Driving Assist is also a great system. I haven't driven the new 2022 Mercedes Benz S / EQS yet, but that's the first car in the world with Level 3 autonomy. Audi tried it with their A8 a couple of years ago and finally gave up. All others, including Tesla is only Level 2.

Look, I'm not a brand loyalist nor an apologist and these are my honest opinions after having the car for almost 2 years and around 25,000 kms (about 16k miles).

Here are some photos.

Btw, insurance is very subjective and depends on a lot of factors, but I did try them all and I found Geico cheaper for me, by a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-20201213_165127.jpg  

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-20201123_193629.jpg  

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-20210214_101420.jpg  

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-20210214_101655.jpg  

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-20201121_124813.jpg  

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-20201121_142311.jpg  

inwester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 01:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up!

I just had a thought cross my mind. After wider implementation of EV’s in India, I’m just wondering the fate of those Petrol pump personnel. While the existent workforce would exist, it wouldn’t certainly be in large scale, don’t you think?
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 03:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. Congratulations for becoming an owner of a Model Y Performance. It's astonishing to know it was built and delivered in 3 days?

Were you referring to actual build time or order to delivery timeline? I'm little confused here.

Also, how come it costed you only $73K in California? What is sales tax percentage in California? And, do you guys get the EV rebate? It's not available in WA.

MYP in Seattle is $84K with all taxes and fees included for a build that does not include the FSD or Advanced Auto Pilot.

Finally, it would be great to see some pictures of your car (Interiors and Exteriors).
My original order date was March 2022 when its price was 63,990 + Tax before the latest round of price hikes. Its barebones MYP in Midnight Silver Metallic color without any options. My original order was for LR but with Induction wheels which was taking too long so I switched to MYP in early April 2022 and finally got the delivery in June 2022 during Q2 delivery rush.

In CA where I live, tax rate is approximately 10% plus some registration charges etc. so I paid about 73K or so. In CA $750 Clear Fuel Car rebate is offered so I effectively got a discount of $750 (Not $7500 rebate as that is expired long back).

The date I'm referring to actual build date at the factory which was June 15, 2022 while the delivery date to me was June 18, 2022 as I took delivery right at the factory in Fremont, CA at their direct delivery center. Basically, it had 2 miles on the odometer and mostly they drove right out from their assembly line to other side of the factory to their customer delivery area.

Quote:

However, it falls short on everything else for me. Intolerable ride quality is the main culprit, and I can only imagine what it would be on MYP with 21"s (I don't think they have 20"s). Range is never over 200-230 miles in real life at full charge, forget the 300+ they claim. The handling is poor as well, except in straight line. The steering doesn't inspire confidence at all and at high speeds its downright dangerous and car doesn't handle well, IMHO. Any European car, with some luxury or sport heritage, handles FAR better than Teslas' in my opinion, definitely Model Y is the worst handling car among all Teslas'. Self driving / Auto Pilot is basically useless and completely overrated in my experience. Cadillac, Volvo, Hyundai etc. have way better ADAS systems that actually works in real life. There are a lot of rattles, creaks, gaps, fit and finish, paint, panel gap issues etc. which is a sore point for an expensive car. Yes, it will save money at the pump, but also consider that the cost of insurance / repairs of this car is almost twice as a similar ICE car. For instance, I pay roughly $400/6 mos for a 2020 Volvo XC90 and $800/6 mos for Model Y with Geico.

MYP 2022 model ride quality is leaps and bounds better than 2020 early built LRs. You should try going to Tesla Service center and take one out for the spin to check it for yourself. Mind you, mine is with 21" Uberturbines with PZero tires so supposedly the worst of the lot of various combinations of Wheels/Tires and I find its ride quality sufficient and I came from Lexus ES350 which is known for its plush ride quality. This car is just different, it cannot be compared to Volvos or Audis of the world.

You are really a minority who disliked MYP or perhaps you got a car which wasn't great (Tesla is known to produce lemons quiet too often) and hence you had a sore relationship with it. Nothing wrong as we all are unique so we'll have different tastes. Sorry to hear that you didn't like it but so far my own experience with Tesla has been fantastic and so much so that I placed an order for M3 SR+ just last week to replace my highlander.

My own insurance on MYP is about $650/6 months which granted is expensive but not out of ordinary for the car which costs 70k. I'm with state farm but Costco Connect was actually quiet lot cheaper than this rate, may be you should try getting competitive quotes to see if you could reduce your premium. I stuck with State farm as I have other policies with them so it just makes it more convenient.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2022 at 05:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
lexusES350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 03:51   #11
BHPian

As requested, sharing some pictures of my MYP

Day 0 after getting it home -

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2088.jpg
Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2095.jpeg
Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2089.jpeg

Interior Driver's View -

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2105.jpg
Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2104.jpg

Interior Panoramic Roof -

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2107.jpg

Day 35 - Getting it home after Ceramic Coating

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2138.jpeg

Test Drive : A day with the 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance-img_2139.jpeg

Last edited by lexusES350 : 26th July 2022 at 03:53.
lexusES350 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As requested, sharing some pictures of my MYP
Looks awesome !! Thanks for sharing. This is my second most favorite color in Tesla albeit with White Interiors.

Quote:
My original order date was March 2022 when its price was 63,990 + Tax before the latest round of price hikes. Its barebones MYP in Midnight Silver Metallic color without any options. My original order was for LR but with Induction wheels which was taking too long so I switched to MYP in early April 2022 and finally got the delivery in June 2022 during Q2 delivery rush.

In CA where I live, tax rate is approximately 10% plus some registration charges etc. so I paid about 73K or so. In CA $750 Clear Fuel Car rebate is offered so I effectively got a discount of $750 (Not $7500 rebate as that is expired long back).

The date I'm referring to actual build date at the factory which was June 15, 2022 while the delivery date to me was June 18, 2022 as I took delivery right at the factory in Fremont, CA at their direct delivery center. Basically, it had 2 miles on the odometer and mostly they drove right out from their assembly line to other side of the factory to their customer delivery area.
I agree that Long Range Tesla’s have the longest waiting period with some > 6 months which is insane despite they producing the vehicles at a fast pace especially after the TX giga factory.

Essentially you got the MYP in 2 months from day of placing order which is not bad at all.

Craze for Tesla is so much that people are booking a Tesla and selling the bookings for minimum $5K premium. I never saw people wanting a product so bad they are willing to pay a premium rather than go through the waiting period as I assume 9/10 Tesla buyers would already own a vehicle and it would not be their first car.

However, IMO the desire to own it “quicker” is what is making them pay a premium.

After Apple, Tesla is probably only other brand that has so much desirability attached to it.

Quote:
MYP 2022 model ride quality is leaps and bounds better than 2020 early built LRs. You should try going to Tesla Service center and take one out for the spin to check it for yourself. Mind you, mine is with 21" Uberturbines with PZero tires so supposedly the worst of the lot of various combinations of Wheels/Tires and I find its ride quality sufficient and I came from Lexus ES350 which is known for its plush ride quality. This car is just different, it cannot be compared to Volvos or Audis of the world.

You are really a minority who disliked MYP or perhaps you got a car which wasn't great (Tesla is known to produce lemons quiet too often) and hence you had a sore relationship with it. Nothing wrong as we all are unique so we'll have different tastes. Sorry to hear that you didn't like it but so far my own experience with Tesla has been fantastic and so much so that I placed an order for M3 SR+ just last week to replace my highlander.
I echo your feelings. It was quite surprising to seeing INWESTER’s feedback as I am yet to come across somebody who is not happy with a Tesla and his opinion is probably the first that I came across who is so dissatisfied with the car that he returned it.

For a tall and big car, MYP drove very impressively both from an acceleration and handling perspective.

Older models of Tesla definitely had lot more issues but, MYP of 2022 that I drove was brilliant from most aspects.

Quote:
My own insurance on MYP is about $650/6 months which granted is expensive but not out of ordinary for the car which costs 70k. I'm with state farm but Costco Connect was actually quiet lot cheaper than this rate, may be you should try getting competitive quotes to see if you could reduce your premium. I stuck with State farm as I have other policies with them so it just makes it more convenient.
I casually checked with my insurance company (Progressive) and they gave me a quote of $82/month or $470/6 months. I was pleasantly surprised with this quote.

Darn, this is cheaper than what I pay for my BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Nice write up!

I just had a thought cross my mind. After wider implementation of EV’s in India, I’m just wondering the fate of those Petrol pump personnel. While the existent workforce would exist, it wouldn’t certainly be in large scale, don’t you think?
Noble thought. Firstly, India will probably take another half a decade minimum to come to levels of maturity of US market which itself is somewhere in between a nascent and mature stage.

Who knows like we have some full service pumps (New Jersey, Oregon etc) we might still employee people in India to charge the EV vehicles.

Quote:
It's pretty well documented. Too bad I didn't read all this before I bought, neither did a test drive as it was during the middle of pandemic in 2020 and I just bought it online basically. So I have no one else to blame for this outcome.

Car and Driver - While the Model Y offers impressive acceleration, it doesn't deliver the same level of driving satisfaction as the Model 3. The SUV body creates a higher center of gravity, which dulls the sharp edge of the Model 3's handling, and the Y's ride is considerably rougher over road imperfections as well.

While the Model Y's acceleration and skidpad grip of 0.94 g are in line with gasoline-powered rivals like the X4 M Competition and the GLC63 S Coupe, it feels clumsy and increasingly unhappy as you probe its cornering limits. The Tesla's ride is noticeably flintier and less refined, and tire impacts resonate through the structure. The Model Y can't hide its 4439-pound weight. Pressing toward that 0.94-g number taxes the Pirelli P Zero rubber, and the suspension never seems to settle down.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Red is my favorite color in Tesla. Unfortunately, they charge a bomb for it.

As LexusES350 mentioned, Please do try to test drive the latest MYP and do share your feedback. It would be interesting to note your observations.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2022 at 07:53. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 12:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Looks awesome !! Thanks for sharing. This is my second most favorite color in Tesla albeit with White Interiors.
Incidentally my LR order was for White with black but then changed to MSM. I now think this is best color choice second only to Red but not worth the 2k premium.

Quote:
I agree that Long Range Tesla’s have the longest waiting period with some > 6 months which is insane despite they producing the vehicles at a fast pace especially after the TX giga factory.

Essentially you got the MYP in 2 months from day of placing order which is not bad at all.

Craze for Tesla is so much that people are booking a Tesla and selling the bookings for minimum $5K premium. I never saw people wanting a product so bad they are willing to pay a premium rather than go through the waiting period as I assume 9/10 Tesla buyers would already own a vehicle and it would not be their first car.

However, IMO the desire to own it “quicker” is what is making them pay a premium.

After Apple, Tesla is probably only other brand that has so much desirability attached to it.
I'm not sure if those rumors of people selling their reservations is true as Tesla is not allowing Transfer of Reservations/Titles as far as I know. Leaving that aside, there are definitely scalpers who buy Teslas and immediately put them in resale market and make slight profits.

Quote:
I echo your feelings. It was quite surprising to seeing INWESTER’s feedback as I am yet to come across somebody who is not happy with a Tesla and his opinion is probably the first that I came across who is so dissatisfied with the car that he returned it.

For a tall and big car, MYP drove very impressively both from an acceleration and handling perspective.

Older models of Tesla definitely had lot more issues but, MYP of 2022 that I drove was brilliant from most aspects.
Trust me, it handles very well and has good enough ride quality. I was in two minds about ride quality between LR and P and did test drives of both models many times. However, even between my test drive (March 2022 VIN#423* block) to my own car (June 2022 VIN#494 block) ride quality has been made better. There are numerous reports out there as well which claim that they have improved upon the ride quality in MY's. Perhaps they tweaked the tune a bit to make it less bumpy and rough. Its noticeably smooth than the car I drove on test drive.

Quote:
I casually checked with my insurance company (Progressive) and they gave me a quote of $82/month or $470/6 months. I was pleasantly surprised with this quote.

Darn, this is cheaper than what I pay for my BMW.
That's an excellent news, you've got a great rate. If Tesla Insurance is available in your area, check them out. They were very competitive too when I was shopping around. As I said, I decided to stick with State Farm due to bundling I have with them.
lexusES350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 14:24   #14
BHPian

Thanks mobike008 for putting together a comprehensive write-up of your Model Y Performance test drive. I am glad to hear a lot of positive things from a BMW user .

Quote:
Quote:

However, it falls short on everything else for me. Intolerable ride quality is the main culprit, and I can only imagine what it would be on MYP with 21"s (I don't think they have 20"s). Range is never over 200-230 miles in real life at full charge, forget the 300+ they claim. The handling is poor as well, except in straight line. The steering doesn't inspire confidence at all and at high speeds its downright dangerous and car doesn't handle well, IMHO. Any European car, with some luxury or sport heritage, handles FAR better than Teslas' in my opinion, definitely Model Y is the worst handling car among all Teslas'.
It sounds like you are a perfect candidate for model 3, but somehow ended up buying a model Y and regretting it. Allow me to explain why model Y is not suitable for people who love to drive dynamically. Tesla made the model Y suspension too stiff to compensate for the bigger body and the expected higher load bearing capabilites. Because of this stiffer spring/damper combo, the primary ride (High amplitude low frequency variations ie think of large potholes appearing in small number on the road) is improved, whereas the secondary ride (Low amplitude and high frequency ie smaller undulations occuring at high speeds) is degraded. Because of this the car feels a bit noisy, harsh and prone to more vibrations at high speed. Also the natural weight transfer during acceleration (rear dipping a bit at launch) and cornering (outer side dipping) are prevented due to this increased stiffness. This gives a very synthetic dynamic handling behaviour.

I guess this is also something you experienced and before writing off model Y as a bad car, I think you might not be the target audience for such a car in the first place.

The above disadvantages are not existing in model 3 from the past. Only 3P used to have a bit stiffer suspension tune but nowhere near model Y. Very recently, I test drove both M3P and MYP and it seems Tesla has tweaked their suspensions and M3P feels much livelier dynamically than the older model 3. MYP felt to me as still too stiff for my taste. It seems to have a go kart type suspension without any feedback.

Regarding steering, I cannot compare as they are 2 different classes of vehicles and the tune is completely different. I felt more connected to the road with M3P than MYP.

I sincerely recommend you NOT to write off Tesla and may be suggest you to try a lightweight model 3 SR+. May be your perspective will change. I agree that some European cars are built better in quality, but when it comes to first principle design, engineering and thinking, Tesla is much ahead of the German crowd, IMHO. Germans are still scrambling to make a proper ground up EV, except for the Porsche Taycan IMO.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 31st July 2022 at 14:34.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 15:11   #15
BANNED

Subjective opinions aside, here is the Model Y undergoing the "moose test" and absolutely acing it. According to the magazine, Model Y is one of the best cars they have done this test with.

It also aced the test when compared with BMW iX3, admittedly a common platform being used for both ICE and electric and the Chinese NIO ES6. And its not even the Performance model.
https://insideevs.com/news/494943/co...o-es6-bmw-ix3/
akhilesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks