Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla to charge monthly subscription fee for navigation after 8 years

Customers buying Tesla vehicles on or after July 20 will get the free standard connectivity package for the first eight years only.

The Standard Connectivity package which comes with just the integrated navigation feature was until recently offered free of cost for the entire lifetime of the vehicle. However, Tesla has now decided to offer the feature at no cost for the first eight years only. Customers who want to continue using the navigation feature after 8 years will have to start paying Tesla a monthly subscription fee. The American electric car maker though is yet to announce the subscription pricing for the standard connectivity package.

Tesla to charge monthly subscription fee for navigation after 8 years-tesla.jpg

Tesla also offers its customers a Premium Connectivity package, which includes features such as live traffic visualisation, internet browsing, sentry mode and video & music streaming among others. While the standard package was always free, the premium package costs an additional US$ 9.99 per month or US$ 99 per year. Reports also suggest that Tesla could migrate some of the premium features to the standard package to help attract customers.

Source: Teslarati

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 26th July 2022 at 14:53.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tesla to charge monthly subscription fee for navigation after 8 years

Well a cautious move to slowly make everything subscription oriented (even to make the car run).
In my opinion, ownership model has perhaps outlived its utility.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder what will happen to the owners who buy used Teslas made before the said date?

Will they switch off/disable it since in Tesla's infinite wisdom the second/third owners didn't pay Tesla for the feature. Something like that happened a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Well a cautious move to slowly make everything subscription oriented (even to make the car run).
Not if there is enough backlash from customers. In my mind, the pandemic kinda made many people avoid all these subscription type stuff. Owning is owning. Ofcourse, companies will keep on trying to get on the subscription model. Then again, just like every automobile related regulations USA may come up with some 'right to repair' bills to counter. Or people will just 'hack' to activate the features.
Old 27th July 2022, 00:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
There is a running cost associated with the connectivity service. Tesla pays in bulk to AT&T to keep all their cars connected with 4G LTE connection. My 2018 Model 3 came with free premium connectivity, but this was discontinued, and people pay monthly $10 for this service these days.

This is much different than BMW trying out seat heater as a subscription, when the customer is using his gas and his car to power the heater.

Also, Tesla has allowed transfer of lifetime free charging on the Tesla Model S, even for second and third owners. As far as I know, one could buy a used Model S, and charge for free right now. Part of the reason why some of these cars have crazy resale value.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 12:47   #5
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
There is a running cost associated with the connectivity service. Tesla pays in bulk to AT&T to keep all their cars connected with 4G LTE connection
Does Tesla allow to use Wi-fi tethering from our mobile to do this, since we already pay for mobile data. I understand OTA updates can be done through Wi-fi but why not Navigation as well? or am I missing something
RYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:02   #6
BHPian

Re: Tesla to charge monthly subscription fee for navigation after 8 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Does Tesla allow to use Wi-fi tethering from our mobile to do this, since we already pay for mobile data. I understand OTA updates can be done through Wi-fi but why not Navigation as well? or am I missing something
Yes. Tesla comes with Wifi and Cellular modems. By default when you put the car in park- Wifi is turned on. It connects to my home Wifi for all software updates. When I put the car in gear it switches over to LTE.

For cars without premium connectivity, users can choose to "remain connected to Wifi in Drive mode". This Wifi can be from your tethered phone.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:17   #7
BHPian

So to get this straight, Tesla will now charge subscription-based navigation on a car that neither supports Apple Carplay nor Android Auto.

So the people who choose not to subscribe to the package will be left with either relying on their memory and skills or using one of those phone suction mounts on the windshields in order to navigate them.

Tesla was once a revolutionary company that had absolutely no competition but with these backward moves like removing navigation, offering no FSD while already charging for it, poor quality control, and giving empty-handed promises for the Cybertruck, Roadster, and the Semi all while massively hiking the lineup prices, it sure does seem that its glory days are over.

I would like them to succeed as the more the competition, the better for the consumers but the competition has been very competent and has been offering equally as good or even better products in recent times. The only advantage I currently see owning a Tesla is using the pretty good Supercharger network but even then, thanks to Governments and Corporations, pretty soon there will be better-standardized EV infrastructure or other Brands might come out with their own which will put that advantage to rest as well.
Old 28th July 2022, 02:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTSI View Post
So to get this straight, Tesla will now charge subscription-based navigation on a car that neither supports Apple Carplay nor Android Auto.

So the people who choose not to subscribe to the package will be left with either relying on their memory and skills or using one of those phone suction mounts on the windshields in order to navigate them.

Tesla was once a revolutionary company that had absolutely no competition but with these backward moves like removing navigation, offering no FSD while already charging for it, poor quality control, and giving empty-handed promises for the Cybertruck, Roadster, and the Semi all while massively hiking the lineup prices, it sure does seem that its glory days are over.

I would like them to succeed as the more the competition, the better for the consumers but the competition has been very competent and has been offering equally as good or even better products in recent times. The only advantage I currently see owning a Tesla is using the pretty good Supercharger network but even then, thanks to Governments and Corporations, pretty soon there will be better-standardized EV infrastructure or other Brands might come out with their own which will put that advantage to rest as well.
While I hate the nickel and diming trend we are seeing, there is actually very simple and convenient solution which is turn on Wifi hotspot on the phone and have the car connect to it and Plain old navigation to streaming, all will work except the Live Camera/Traffic/Satellite map visualization. Not too big of a deal in grand scheme of things.
Old 28th July 2022, 05:35   #9
BHPian

Market finds its way out in a matter of time. Only efficient ideas sustain for the long term or better alternatives are found out by innovators. Let's see how this trend stabilizes. Quite similar to the heated seat idea by BMW that we talked about recently.
Old 28th July 2022, 06:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
One gets basic connectivity for 8 years. No satellite maps, live traffic, streaming, browser. But Navigation is not a problem with standard connectivity. To expect Tesla to pay for premium connectivity forever is a bit too much. I was expecting this to end sooner.

There still is wifi that one can use in tethered mode. I have many friends who have not bought premium connectivity, and no they do not need to use primitive methods with suction holders.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 11:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. It really doesn’t make sense to make the customers pay for navigation when they don’t even support alternatives like CarPlay and Android Auto like most other cars do (except the Silicon Valley compatriots like Rivian and Lucid). My worry is that many other car manufacturers use Tesla as a benchmark, so unless consumers react strongly against this, this will be the norm.
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks