Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 15:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot

Stellantis is said to have overtaken Tesla in electric vehicle sales in Europe during the first half of 2022. According to reports, Stellantis managed to slot itself in the second position, easily beating Tesla in terms of sales volume, while trailing behind Volkswagen, which continued to dominate the EV segment.

Carlos Tavares, CEO of Stellantis, stated that the company is now looking to fight for the top spot in BEV sales in the European market. The conglomerate managed to register sales of 105,413 units in the first six months of 2022, compared to Volkswagen, which sold 116,307 units. Tesla, however, sold 78,227 units during the same period.

Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot-fiat500e.jpg

The success of Stellantis was led by their electric Fiat 500 offering. The small electric hatchback managed to register sales of 32,315 units in the first half - a 72% increase compared to the same period last year. The electric Fiat 500 was also the best-selling EV in Italy & Germany during the second quarter of 2022. Other important models for Stellantis were the Peugeot e-208 and Opel Corsa-e, both of which, managed to sell 21,918 units and 13,380 units, respectively.

Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot-teslamodely.jpg

Tesla's quarterly sales figures fell to their lowest in two years. The reason for the drop in sales was mainly attributed to the lockdown in China during the early part of the year. Having said that, the Tesla Model Y with 39,969 units has managed to retain its title of being the best-selling EV in Europe. The Tesla Model 3, on the other hand, registered a 25% drop in sales with 38,280 units.

With the lockdown in China now lifted, Tesla is said to make a comeback in the second half of 2022. However, Stellantis has a number of new products lined up, which could help boost its sales.

Source: Automotive News

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 4th August 2022 at 15:48.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot

It might help to add the below bit of information; not everyone is aware of the name "Stellantis".

Quote:
Stellantis N.V. is a multinational automotive manufacturing corporation formed in 2021 on the basis of a 50-50 cross-border merger between the Italian-American conglomerate Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA Group (owner of Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel and Vauxhall brands)
References 1

Small EVs are definitely the mass market item that seems to be selling across the globe and have the maximum potential wrt the EV future.
ninjatalli is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 18:14   #3
BHPian

Re: Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot

With over 16 different brands including Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Mopar, Opel, Peugeot, Ram and Vauxhall, we shouldn't be surprised be if they overtake VW very shortly.

It is noteworthy though, because their American brands were the slowest to move into any form of electrification (although they kept postponing plans since they were cash-strained) and kept pushing more & more powerful gas guzzling vehicles in a bid to keep the sales ringing.
daywiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 07:24   #4
BHPian

Good going, Stellantis! Bring 'em on! From an India perspective, the success of the Peugeot e-208 is promising since the upcoming Citroën e-C3 for India will be based on the same CMP from Stellantis.

Quote:
Auto Express UK has reported that an all-electric variant of Citroën C3 will be launched in 2023. It is likely to be named 'e-C3' and will be based on the CMP platform from Stellantis. It is expected to have a power figure of 134 bhp and a range of 360 Km from a 50 kWh battery pack.

Let's wait and see the specifications of the e-C3 that's going to be launched in India

Last edited by denny_ace : 5th August 2022 at 07:29. Reason: Quoted a previous post
Old 5th August 2022, 07:28   #5
BHPian

Does anybody know what kind of capacity is being setup for Citroen eC3 in India, and how much of that is expected to be made available for India market?
Old 5th August 2022, 09:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
With over 16 different brands including Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Mopar, Opel, Peugeot, Ram and Vauxhall
Opel and Vauxhall are the same. Vauxhall is only in UK, Opel in mainland Europe.

Out of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and DS. Jeep is probably the only visible brand you'll see in mainland Europe, even those are very limited volumes of Cherokees.

Mopar does not make street legal cars.

Even though Volkswagen would have much lesser logos on their powerpoint slides, they have a much better brand perception than PSA or FCA brands in Europe. Italians prefer a VAG brand (mostly Volkswagen) over homegrown Fiat, Alfa Romeo or Lancia.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2022 at 21:46. Reason: Typo
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:51   #7

Stellantis always does good(always the mediocre position). It's just that their cars are usually not very exciting. They make machines which are great for A to B. But in my view every EV right now is more concerned with A to B than with the actual driving experience. The only good thing Stellantis has got going is the Alpha Cars.

Tesla is the same. So I am least concerned for EV market right now. It needs to mature more. Give it two years and it would be a great space for cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2022 at 18:04. Reason: Quoted text deleted - not required
Lightning66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 12:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Finer details of Models sold in H12022:

Quote:
Tesla Model 3 is not Europe's top-selling electric car anymore. This year it has been dethroned by the Tesla Model Y, as it already happened in USA and China.

Fiat 500 came third, and closer to the second position than to the fourth position, occupied by another Stellantis car, the Peugeote208. In the case of the Fiat, the electric version represented 38% of the model's total registrations in H1, vs 21% for the Peugeot. The French B-Hatch increased the gap with the Renault Zoe, its closest rival.

Dacia Spring hits the top 10 sending the VWI D3 out. The German hatch posted a 44% decline vs H1 2021, when it was the second most popular. Other big drops include the Volkswagen e-Up (-56%), Nissan Leaf (-21%), Smartfortwo (-35%), and Mercedes EQC (-29%).
Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot-fzoi72lwyauyxvj.jpg

Stellantis overtakes Tesla in BEV sales in Europe; To challenge VW for No.1 spot-fzoi72pwaaixv_2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 16:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Opel and Vauxhall are the same. Vauxhall is only in UK, Open in mainland Europe.

Out of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and DS. Jeep is probably the only visible brand you'll see in mainland Europe, even those are very limited volumes of Cherokees.

Mopar does not make street legal cars.

Even though Volkswagen would have much lesser logos on their powerpoint slides, they have a much better brand perception than PSA or FCA brands in Europe. Italians prefer a VAG brand (mostly Volkswagen) over homegrown Fiat, Alfa Romeo or Lancia.
Totally agree. I have always been of the opinion that they need to slim down their portfolio. From the time Chrysler merged with Fiat, and now with the PSA, they still have got too many brands that kind of overlap each other.and unnecessarily large number of models. They really need to chop. Already, they are already quite late to the electrification party. Let's hope with the combined resources of Stellantis, they are able to take on the bigger players.
daywiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 15:54   #10
BHPian

Excellent information shared on this thread.

Good to see EV s are making good steady but sure progress in auto market.

Happened to see the vintage auto show on Regent street last november.

The only modern vehicles displayed in the august line up of vintages were electrics if i am not mistaken apart from two simulation trucks giving surreal experience of F1 Merc cars.

Fiat 500 was a looker in that line up.

No wonder it is 3rd in sales.
Old 6th August 2022, 22:02   #11
BHPian

Light EV’s with small batteries like the 500, nexon, etc., make a lot of sense economically and environmentally. Luxury and sports cars which have limited running are worse of as EVs using up large heavy batteries and much higher environmental footprint from the manufacturing stage compared to ICE equivalents. For eg. one EQS battery would suffice for 3 nexon evs. The subsidies/incentives should take this in to consideration and investments should be more directed to increase the charging network reducing the need for large batteries.
Old 8th August 2022, 14:06   #12
BHPian

I've seen a fair few Vauxhall e-Corsa's and Peugeot e-208's around Manchester and Chester. Last time I was in central London I saw a fair few Fiat 500e's - makes sense given the strict ULEV restrictions (and the fact that the 500 was a very popular city runabout anyway).

I do agree with a lot of the commentators here that post merger, PSA group probably should cull a few of the brands they inherited from FCA. I have to say under Tavares pre Stellantis, PSA group has been on a real roll. I mean Peugeot has been making some of the sharpest looking cars I've seen from them in years and it's been reflected too in the number of new ones I see on UK roads. Similarly Vauxhall has had a mini revival (at least based on my own anecdotal observations) because I see a fair few new ones plying the road.

When it comes to FCA group brands though, really it's only the Fiat 500 and derivatives that I see about, with the occasional Jeep and Alfa.

Coming back to the EV's, see a lot of Stellantis EVs available on EV subscription services like Onto here in the UK. Good to see the proliferation of small EVs, I think they're perfect for Europe. I seriously thought about getting one (and despite having inherited a perfectly adequate set of wheels I still think about getting a small EV).
ads11 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed