Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 20:54   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered

Sorry folks for delayed response as I was traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
The term NEMA 14-50 can be misleading. It only says the outlet can handle 50A. Everything depends on the breakers installed. In my house two 20A breakers were free, they were jumpered together to allow for 40A max. The car limits itself to drawing 32A based on this max 40A it is able to draw. If there are three 20A breakers free, its possible to draw 60A max. If the house is 15+ years old this is unlikely.

Avinash,
Sure, I will send you a PM with the image. Is your home a 100A home or a newer 200A home with 50A free? If you have an older 100A home, please have an electrician explain what breakers are free and how he plans to jumper the breakers and achieve the 40A.

Also talk to him about peak usage. You dont want to deal with fires as a result of peak usage (AC at night, plus washer/dryer, refrigerator use while you are charging). Do not bank on manually eliminating simultaneous use.

Please get work that is ready for inspections and permits from the city, and comply to the city code. We live in houses made of paper and straw. If there is a fire, and the house/neighborhood burns down, you will go bankrupt, and judge can also garnish your future wages, if he proves that you were negligent. Even if you do not draw electric permits from the city, make sure it is ready to bring it up to code.

I have had Solar for 6 years, and my Model3 for 4.5 years now. Both needed electric permits from the city. I have spoken/referred lots of friends who get a NEMA 14-50 socket installed. One of them went his own semi DIY way, and had huge burns on his hands while he messed around the breaker. So, please take extra care, we dont deal with high voltage on a daily basis, the 110V sockets are harmless, but not these. You have a lot of time before Tesla delivers the car, you can get the outlet installed after decent amount of research.
Thanks for this awesome input GG. Ours is a brand new home and I am not sure if its 200A or 100 A. How do I find out myself?

I understand about putting load on breaker by using all appliances at same time. But, I doubt if that is going to ever happen as I plan to charge my Tesla from 10pm or 11pm (Just before hitting the bed) to early morning as that is a shut down period for all appliances.

Also, here in Seattle and while our home is centrally air-conditioned, we hardly use it even now (Peak Summers) as it’s rarely super hot. As an example, in the last couple of months, we might have used Air Conditioner a dozen times for 4-6 hours and that is also during late afternoons.

Quote:
Avinash, Please look at regulations that apply to your city
Thanks. I will look into it. However, I did not understand the permission part. When I get the delivery of Tesla. Do I need to inform the local utilities department? Is that a mandate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Well, luckily the degradation is not linear. The initial degradation is faster and it slows down gradually. You can read about the degradation test of Bjorn Nyland's model 3 LR here.

AFAIK, Tesla does not have any recommendation when to change the battery. At the current rate of degradation we are seeing, 300k miles + is easily doable without compromising too much on range.

SoC is state of charge.
Thanks Karthik. This looks no different than my iPhone Battery.

Initially it takes a plunge and then settles down. Anyways this was just a good to know information as I know that during the life of ownership, a situation to change the battery will never come.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 03:15   #32
BHPian

re: Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for this awesome input GG. Ours is a brand new home and I am not sure if its 200A or 100 A. How do I find out myself?
Open the cover of the breaker box. You will see a bunch of breakers. Each breaker is for 20A, add it up. As it a new home, it is most likely 150A or 200A. The guy installing the NEMA 14-50 will definitely do this and let you know.

Quote:
Thanks. I will look into it. However, I did not understand the permission part. When I get the delivery of Tesla. Do I need to inform the local utilities department? Is that a mandate?
If you don't install a new NEMA 14-50 outlet, there is nothing to do (inform/report) after buying a EV. The city regulations and permits are all for adding a new electric outlet. In theory you need a electric permit for any electrical work (in wall outlets) done in the house. Building permit are needed for household repair as well. Most people do not do this. But the work that you get done, should be compliant to city code, and worthy of passing inspections. You can tell the electrician that you will be getting the permits, and calling the city inspector. Some electricians give you a separate quote to do this (permits & pass inspection) themselves. Just keep this in mind when you get quotes, and when you get this work done.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 26th August 2022 at 03:20.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 22:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Open the cover of the breaker box. You will see a bunch of breakers. Each breaker is for 20A, add it up. As it a new home, it is most likely 150A or 200A. The guy installing the NEMA 14-50 will definitely do this and let you know.

If you don't install a new NEMA 14-50 outlet, there is nothing to do (inform/report) after buying a EV..
Here is a picture of our set-up.

I assume there are 10 breakers (How do I count them as some of them look different than others. Is it more than 20V for some of them as they are combined?)

I think the total should add up to more than 200V.

Also, I didn't understand one thing. You keep saying "If" you install a new NEMA 14-50 outlet? I already have a NEMA 14-50 outlets already installed. Please see my post a page before in this thread.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-img_6772.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 22:30   #34
Team-BHP Support

15 Amp will be for lights, 20 Amp for plugs, 30/ 40 for Dishwasher, washing machine/ dryers, furnace.

50 Amp must be for your EV charger. All these will have separate wires going to individual points. The one coming from power company maybe rated 100 Amp or higher but you will need to do a new wiring to your garage if you want higher than 50 Amps as your EV point is wired for 50 Amps. To be 100% sure that it’s the same 50 Amp circuit, just switch off and see if you still get the voltage on EV port. If not then you will be good.

50 Amp will be good enough for your daily use.

You already have a right plug. Just tell Tesla folks how excited you are and if they can help you giving a priority delivery

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2022 at 22:32.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 02:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a picture of our setup
I think the total should add up to more than 200V.

Also, I didn't understand one thing. You keep saying "If" you install a new NEMA 14-50 outlet? I already have a NEMA 14-50 outlets already installed. Please see my post a page before in this thread.

Attachment 2351934
Ah, nevermind. Nothing to do when your house already has NEMA 14-50 outlet. Just buy the mobile charger and you are all set.

The breakers are based on amperage and not volts.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 09:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You already have a right plug. Just tell Tesla folks how excited you are and if they can help you giving a priority delivery.
Quote:
Ah, nevermind. Nothing to do when your house already has NEMA 14-50 outlet. Just buy the mobile charger and you are all set.
Thanks guys for your quick responses. Appreciate teaching me like how you would a kindergarten kid.

Turbanator-Elon Musk is coming in my dreams daily these days. As soon as I get up in the morning, first thing I do is "Refresh" the Tesla App.

Here is the latest update. The timelines have shrunk. So the "D" day isn't too far away.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-img_6905.jpg

I don't mind getting it in October as it will allow me that much time to enjoy with my BLAU RAKETE. I am sure, it will take a back-bench for a while after this red beauty comes home.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 21:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

With the "D" day around the corner.

Look what came in yesterday.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-img_7724.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 00:02   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance-Delivered

Happy Diwali to all in advance- Couldn't get any better time for delivery of a new car.

Well, it so happened that delivery date kept moving and always with some crazy wide date ranges. In my particular case, the delivery date moved 7-8 times since I booked the car in July’2022.

As my luck would have it, delivery confirmation happened when this entire week I was in Dallas, TX.

I got a text on Oct 19th late afternoon (I was 2 hours ahead in CST timezone) giving me options for delivery for literally 3 days- App grays out all other calendar days. :

Oct 19th
Oct 20th
Oct 21st

I was like, what the heck !!

According to others including my cousin sis whom I met in Dallas in this trip- they got a Y in May'2022 and went through a lot of drama as their delivery date was scheduled on day they were traveling to India. LOL!!!

It is take it or leave it situation.

I was super busy in client meetings and wining and dining them and in between I was calling my bank doing paperwork (which didn’t work, btw) so switched my finance strategies which made the purchase of M3P literally in a few minutes.

Believe you me, I paid the money through Tesla app “In-Flight” on my way back to Seattle and it was transferred instantly through their Plaid system.

I still cannot believe we live in this kind of technology advancement. Whew !!!

I preponed my flight by a day and got back home late night on Thursday and scheduled delivery the next day.

We (along with couple of my colleagues) reached the Tesla Delivery Center on scheduled time and signed exactly in 3 places and delivery formalities were completed.Voila, as easy as that!!

It took less than 3 minutes to close our transaction. And, she was OUR’s

Before accepting delivery in app, we all did a through check of the car (Lot's of Tesla horror stories on build quality) but, thankfully we got ours "unblemished" with < 5 miles on the odometer.

Final Screen where all tasks/steps are completed in the Tesla App

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-img_9947.jpg

Lot's of beautiful confettis fall when you accept the delivery of the car.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-img_0006.jpg

Here is our beauty..guess what- it is a 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-fullsizerender.jpg

P.S : A big shout out to LexusES350 and Carthik1000 for answering all my dumb questions through the process.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th October 2022 at 08:36. Reason: Extra smiley deleted. Thank You.
mobike008 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 06:10   #39
BHPian

Re: The unique booking experience of Tesla | Tesla Model 3 Performance booked (2023 MY now delivered

Welcome to the Tesla owner’s club Avi. I’m sure you will have tons of fun with your red beauty.
lexusES350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 14:29   #40
BHPian

Re: Unique Tesla booking experience | Tesla Model 3 Performance booked (Now delivered: 2023 model)

So a Diwali present without smoke or spark!

Keep us posted on what you think about the car's quirks, advantages and disadvantages etc. after a month or so. The more things to read, the better

Safe and fun miles!

PS: I am curious to see what mileage you did after a year with your X3M and M3.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 23:38   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
Welcome to the Tesla owner’s club Avi. I’m sure you will have tons of fun with your red beauty.
Quote:
So a Diwali present without smoke or spark!

Keep us posted on what you think about the car's quirks, advantages and disadvantages etc. after a month or so. The more things to read, the better

Safe and fun miles!
Thank you to both of you. I think the Tesla passion comes out quite evidently from your ownership reports and also from tons of information you shared with me.

Hope to enjoy this ownership similar to yours.

Will share an ownership report on the forum soon.

Quote:
PS: I am curious to see what mileage you did after a year with your X3M and M3.

I'm truly scared for my BMW. I love it so much but, I am afraid Tesla might take a big chunk out of that love. LOL !!

I have already clocked 200 miles in 3 days. And, yup the experience of driving this car is very different and addictive to say the least.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 00:14   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered

Quote:
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance-Delivered

Happy Diwali to all in advance- Couldn't get any better time for delivery of a new car.
Congratulations, and Happy Diwali indeed!

Going by your inclination towards tech, I am certain Tesla is going to keep you busy, and possibly, away from the Beemer.

Looking forward to a full fledged thread for the red beauty!
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 00:42   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congratulations, and Happy Diwali indeed!

Going by your inclination towards tech, I am certain Tesla is going to keep you busy, and possibly, away from the Beemer.
Thank you so much buddy.

Since childhood, I have always loved gadgets and tech stuff (but, on contrary I am not a techie and absolutely not a DIY person ).

I just like to enjoy the best of the tech gadgets out there in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looking forward to a full fledged thread for the red beauty!
Absolutely. Will be writing a ownership report soon.

But, waiting for a photoshoot to complete and weather out here is not that great for a photoshoot. so let's see when that happens.

P.S: Btw, small correction. Beemer is BMW bike and Bimmer is BMW car.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:56   #44
BHPian

Slightly delayed happy Diwali! Hearty congratulations on your car too, it looks beautiful in that shade of red. Wishing you many happy and zero-emissions (just like our Diwali celebration this year) miles on this car and I shall be looking forward to a full-fledged review.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 22:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Slightly delayed happy Diwali! Hearty congratulations on your car too, it looks beautiful in that shade of red. Wishing you many happy and zero-emissions (just like our Diwali celebration this year) miles on this car and I shall be looking forward to a full-fledged review.
Thank you so much for the warm wishes. And, wish you also a belated Diwali greetings.

I am traveling for next 2 weeks but, trying to take some time out to pen a review. Hopefully, the full fledged review should come up in 2 weeks.

In the meantime, I have already clocked 450 miles in little over a week.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-img_0847.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed