Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 14:37   #181
BHPian

re: BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Get the E6 only if you need to ferry around a lot of people with you. Think of E6 vs Atto 3 as Innova vs Jeep compass. It's utilitarian and is more suited to businesses looking to carry around their workers for cheap without worrying about them screwing up the car. The bigger is better mentality is an outdated concept.

Purely based on cost analysis, you should probably also try a nexon EV max. It's surprisingly spacious and comfortable inside. Tata's aftersales can be either adequate or terrible but since you are considering a brand new entrant into our market, you are not risk averse to the unknown.

EVs though, aren't that great for high speed long highway trips. So why not:

Also consider an old audi A6. They are going for throwaway prices in major metros now and the rear seat comfort is way better than any of the other cars listed. The 2.0 is pretty frugal and you can get them with air suspension for unmatched ride quality.

A used audi too unreliable for your tastes? How about a pre-owned volvo S60 (old gen)? They can be had for cheap and they are basically bulletproof compared to the current gen volvos.

Diesel is 6rs a km compared to an EV I would get a used Passat or superb but the difference in running costs is massive and it pinches at 4000km a month
Old 1st November 2022, 23:58   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Diesel is 6rs a km compared to an EV I would get a used Passat or superb but the difference in running costs is massive and it pinches at 4000km a month

Then go for the atto 3 eyes closed.
Old 2nd November 2022, 16:14   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Add oil changes and breakdown costs for a used Passat to the 6RS/Km and just about any EV will appeal more to the accounting books!

Haven't been in either of the BYD cars but if it is going to be used 90% for work commute the larger and more spacious E6 is a no brainer. For a few lacs and an extra parking spot you could get yourself yet another project car to keep you occupied over the weekends
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 07:57   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Add oil changes and breakdown costs for a used Passat to the 6RS/Km and just about any EV will appeal more to the accounting books!

Haven't been in either of the BYD cars but if it is going to be used 90% for work commute the larger and more spacious E6 is a no brainer. For a few lacs and an extra parking spot you could get yourself yet another project car to keep you occupied over the weekends
The e6 on the inside feels like a 10 lakh car. While the atto3 although in your face is special on the inside but smaller feels like a downgrade in terms of size from the Jetta.
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 08:38   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
Here are my issues:

1. Where is all the drive info data stored? China? Will they have complete access to our routes etc. of the Indian Cities with a possibility of even videos through the cameras on board. Vehicles like this shouldn't be allowed around defense and sensitive area just like China banned all Tesla's in govt due to the recording function.
Totally agree. In fact the govt should review the data retention and ensure information is not leaving the data centres outside of India. Europe has similar laws and we all know how strict China is when it comes to data. With our vehicles becoming more software than hardware, this is need of the hour. Hope our active transport minister is listening.

Personally, I am skeptical about gadgets in todays cars. Focus seem to have shifted from pure driving fun to all nonsensical features in the name of entertainment, luxury or safety.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:33   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

The e6 on the inside feels like a 10 lakh car. While the atto3 although in your face is special on the inside but smaller feels like a downgrade in terms of size from the Jetta.
Old 3rd November 2022, 21:36   #187
BHPian

Quote:
So I test drove the atto3 as well as the other byd mpv.
Help me decide. I drive 1000km a week chauffeur driven 90% on NH. My workplace is 160km away. Regularly travel at speeds from 100-140kmph using a Jetta diesel currently buying an electric purely from a cost point of view. Would buy a used diesel Passat / superb otherwise which gives me 15+ km/litre on the highway

Atto pros vs e6
More power
Better features

Cons
Lesser range 350 vs 450
Lesser waranty 1.6 lakh kms vs 5 lakh
Smaller interiors

E6 cons
Very bare bones no centre arm rest at the back.
Cheap plastics suited to a 10lakh car rather than a 30+

E6 pros
Range
Waranty
Size

What do you guys think? Both are going to be priced similar around 32 lakhs.
Your dilemma is because of your requirements.
For eg,
EV is a good choice since you do approx. 4K km per month.
EV is a bad choice since you want to drive at triple-digit speeds on highways, every day.

So it depends on what you want to compromise. If you can compromise the triple-digit speeds, I would suggest you go for a Nexon EV (Normal or Max) instead of a Chinese brand (at least for now) for a simple reason - peace of mind. If you choose Nexon, you probably have to charge it at least twice a day since your one-way drive is approx. 160kms. You can also consider ZS EV if you don't like Nexon.
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:23   #188
BHPian

Quote:
So I test drove the atto3 as well as the other byd mpv.
Help me decide. I drive 1000km a week chauffeur driven 90% on NH. My workplace is 160km away. Regularly travel at speeds from 100-140kmph using a Jetta diesel currently buying an electric purely from a cost point of view. Would buy a used diesel Passat / superb otherwise which gives me 15+ km/litre on the highway

Atto pros vs e6
More power
Better features

Cons
Lesser range 350 vs 450
Lesser waranty 1.6 lakh kms vs 5 lakh
Smaller interiors

E6 cons
Very bare bones no centre arm rest at the back.
Cheap plastics suited to a 10lakh car rather than a 30+

E6 pros
Range
Waranty
Size

What do you guys think? Both are going to be priced similar around 32 lakhs.
Let's work out the economics. Assuming your current Jetta sells for Rs 15 lakhs, & the Atto/e6 costs 35 lakhs, you'll have to shell out 20 lakhs from your pocket.
Assuming diesel costs Rs 7/km & an EV costs Rs 2/km, you'll save Rs 5/km. Thus, for monthly 4000 km runs, you'll save Rs 20000, that is Rs 2.4 lakhs in a year. To recover Rs 20 lakhs, it'll take you 8 years, by which time, you'll need a new battery for your EV, which will likely cost a minimum of Rs 10 lakhs (a conservative estimate).
Thus buying an Atto/e6 purely from an economic point of view makes no sense.
It would work had you been buying a Nexon EV max at Rs 20 lakhs. But that would be a huge step down from the Jetta.
Old 5th November 2022, 00:42   #189

You will definitely love the way atto3 drives compared to e6, but as you said its mostly chauffeur driven, I would suggest going with e6 for below reasons

1. the motor is not as powerful as atto3 so your travel experience will be very comfortable and the car and tires last longer than atto3. When you have a fun car chauffeurs will abuse it.

2. the operating range of the battery is more efficient when you have a larger battery pack.

3. rear seat leg room of e6

4. e6 is designed to be a taxi vehicle, so it suits better to our use-case of long journeys.

5. if you are looking at 48k to 55k (assuming you will have some occasional road trips) atto3 battery will be out of warranty in 3 years. This alone is a major reason to go with e6.

6. AC is absolutely bone chilling.

7. huge boot space, yet my toddler kid makes us feel its inadequate, toys and stuff.

Now if you want to compromise on these things for your 10% drive, so be it. you are the better judge of the situation. I did not test drive atto3.
Get some shades on the rear mirrors in e6 and you are good to go.

w.r.t to cons of the e6

1. very soft suspension and roll at corners, I am planning to get a ROGER Rogerab Coil Spring Buffer Kit (available on amazon). Not sure about it yet. Any suggestions from bhp mates would be appreciated.

2. rear seat modification to include an arm rest and some recline functionality, still doing some research on this front.

3. driver seat lumbar support is too high for me, still no thoughts how to get this resolved.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th November 2022 at 02:43. Reason: Please use correct capitalisation
Old 5th November 2022, 09:29   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicerie View Post
You will definitely love the way atto3 drives compared to e6, but as you said its mostly chauffeur driven, I would suggest going with e6 for below reasons

1. the motor is not as powerful as atto3 so your travel experience will be very comfortable and the car and tires last longer than atto3. When you have a fun car chauffeurs will abuse it.

2. the operating range of the battery is more efficient when you have a larger battery pack.

3. rear seat leg room of e6

4. e6 is designed to be a taxi vehicle, so it suits better to our use-case of long journeys.

5. if you are looking at 48k to 55k (assuming you will have some occasional road trips) atto3 battery will be out of warranty in 3 years. This alone is a major reason to go with e6.

6. AC is absolutely bone chilling.

7. huge boot space, yet my toddler kid makes us feel its inadequate, toys and stuff.

Now if you want to compromise on these things for your 10% drive, so be it. you are the better judge of the situation. I did not test drive atto3.
Get some shades on the rear mirrors in e6 and you are good to go.

w.r.t to cons of the e6

1. very soft suspension and roll at corners, I am planning to get a ROGER Rogerab Coil Spring Buffer Kit (available on amazon). Not sure about it yet. Any suggestions from bhp mates would be appreciated.

2. rear seat modification to include an arm rest and some recline functionality, still doing some research on this front.

3. driver seat lumbar support is too high for me, still no thoughts how to get this resolved.
You seem to own an e6. Can it cruise comfortably at 120-140 ?
50% of my journeys is done at that speed.
Old 5th November 2022, 13:20   #191

yes, I test drove the car with 5 members (380 to 400 kg), was able to cruse at those speeds, but I wouldn't recommend it since the car has soft suspension and you can feel the ride bouncy. that's the reason I am planning to get (ROGER Rogerab Coil Spring Buffer Kit), and the body roll at those speeds. this is my fist mpv/suv kind of a vehicle, i am more of a sedan guy. So someone with better SUV handling experience can comment after a test drive. the center of mass is very low due to floor battery and even for the low ride height surprisingly the car never scrapes the bottom (this is due to evenly distributed weight unlike ICE card with front biased weight).

You should definitely test drive it. I test drove the car in all conditions for about 3 hours 5 passengers & zero cargo. high speed tests were done on well banked roads. the Tyres are not that great, will get them replaced after 20k mark.
Vicerie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 01:45   #192

Personally from cost and online reviews perspective E6 is better option with slight modifications to ensure comfort. As after market cruise control kit it will be amazing car to drive for passengers and owners to experience the fun in driving EVs.
Old 6th November 2022, 08:36   #193
BHPian

Test rode and booked BYD Atto 3 earlier this month. Drove it for 28 odd kms and range as shown in MID was close to 450Kms as consumption shown in MID was 13.4Kwh/100 kms after the drive, which to be honest is not bad, considering it was a test ride and I pushed the car hard whenever I could find an open stretch. As far as power delivery is concerned, it was not jerky or EV like but more of linear and smooth surge. Though the pickup is really good, yet cannot be termed sporty (I drive an Octi as well as Superb, both Petrol and remapped to stage 1).

As many fellow BHPians were concerned about the refund of the booking amount, I was assured by the dealer the same will be refunded in full and without any clause, incase I don't like the car or the pricing. Unfortunately most of the sales staff lacks complete knowledge of the vehicle and doesn't know even the basic functions/features of the car. Hence I did most of my research online (post booking). I have been told that maximum bookings are done for White and Grey colours and if I am open about the colour choices then will get the car in the first lot itself i.e. January, 23.

There are too many disparities over the prices, most online websites claim it to be priced b/w 20-25 Lacs, whereas speculations are anything b/w 30-35 Lacs. Heck even sales staff at the dealership also couldn't agree on same amount, one claiming 29.5 (same as e6) and other mentioning 35-40 Lacs. Final pricing will be revealed on 15th, Nov though.

Interestingly, I didn't have any intent to buy one, neither had any idea prior to visiting the showroom. Saw a new showroom, curiosity pulled me in, checked the car and I was sold. Infact my monthly drive is even <1000kms, yet I always feel tinglish and excited with the thought of adding an EV in my garage specially for the city runabouts. Let's hope it turns out to be a worthy addition.

Last edited by Turbo Head : 6th November 2022 at 08:38.
Turbo Head is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 11:36   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Totally agree. In fact the govt should review the data retention and ensure information is not leaving the data centres outside of India. Europe has similar laws and we all know how strict China is when it comes to data. With our vehicles becoming more software than hardware, this is need of the hour. Hope our active transport minister is listening.

Personally, I am skeptical about gadgets in todays cars. Focus seem to have shifted from pure driving fun to all nonsensical features in the name of entertainment, luxury or safety.
Quick question. Which mobile phones are we using. How sure are we that the chips are not reporting data back to China, Korea or US dpending on origin. As part of using an Android or Apple ecosystem, we have already signed up most of our access rights. Add some more browsing, maps, music, search and app usage and there is far more rich profile data that we are already sharing compared to what our car will do.

By this logic, we should not be allowed to walk near defense establishments with phones in our pockets. Because aggregated location data, phone sensor data and audio data can give away a lot.

I think this entire "China Bad" logic is very superficial. Open up any gadget next to you and most of the critical chips will be made in China, Taiwan, US, EU.

Should India have strong security laws on data privacy. Definitely Yes.

Do our actions on buying and usage change anything on the data privacy and security front. Sadly, no.

The moment we start using any piece of technology and it's corresponding software, we are signing of most rights to privacy and future actions, at the time of purchase.
ashishpotdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 12:05   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishpotdar View Post
Quick question. Which mobile phones are we using. How sure are we that the chips are not reporting data back to China, Korea or US dpending on origin. As part of using an Android or Apple ecosystem, we have already signed up most of our access rights. Add some more browsing, maps, music, search and app usage and there is far more rich profile data that we are already sharing compared to what our car will do.
That is exactly my point. I am not blaming a single country here and only suggested bringing data protection laws like in Europe/China. My only concern here is that the policies that our govt might already be having should be extended to automobiles as well(if they haven't already) since the gadgets on these automobiles are becoming another extension of us.

There are no free lunches here, either some rich billionaire or some state sponsored actors(or both) are munching on all our profiles now and least the govt can do is have some accountability to protect its citizens interest.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks