Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 13:04   #121
BHPian

re: BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh

I don't understand the logic behind the product launch without price. Did we move the launches to a twostep process? In first step the product is announced and then based on the feedback or bookings, the price will be announced at a later stage. To me the launch along with price makes more sense. For someone to have a holistic idea of a product price is an important make or break component.
destinykid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:17   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh

BYD Atto 3 electric SUV secures 5 star rating in Euro NCAP tests.

BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh-1.jpg

BYD Atto 3 electric SUV to be launched this festive season. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 34 lakh-3.jpg

Quote:
A five-star rating for the newcomer BYD ATTO 3 (in China known as Yuan Plus) continues the run of success for Chinese brands in Euro NCAP, following similar results for WEY and ORA in the last publication. An acronym for “Build Your Dreams”, BYD has in fact had a presence in Europe for over a decade in the form of buses, but the arrival of the ATTO 3 is the vehicle that will bring BYD to the masses. The budget friendly EV is performing well in Euro NCAP crash tests and comes fully equipped with latest ADAS technologies

Quote:
The passenger compartment of the ATTO 3 remained stable in the frontal offset test. Dummy numbers demonstrated good protection of the knees and femurs of both the driver and passenger. BYD showed that a similar level of protection would be provided to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions. Analysis of the deceleration of the impact trolley during the test, and analysis of the deformable barrier after the test, revealed that the ATTO 3 would be a moderately benign impact partner in a frontal collision.
In the full-width rigid barrier test, protection of all critical body areas was good or adequate, for the dummies in the driver and rear passenger seats.
In the side barrier test, protection of all critical body areas was good and the car scored maximum points. However, in the more severe side pole impact, protection of the chest was rated as weak, based measured values of rib compression. Control of excursion (the extent to which a body is thrown to the other side of the vehicle when it is hit from the far side) was found to be adequate.
The ATTO 3 has a counter-measure to mitigate against occupant to occupant injuries in such impacts. The system performed well in Euro NCAP’s test, with
good protection of occupants’ heads. Tests on the front seats and head restraints demonstrated good protection against whiplash injuries in the event of a rear-end collision. A geometric analysis of the rear seats also indicated good whiplash protection.
The ATTO 3 has an advanced eCall system which alerts the emergency services in the event of a crash. The car also has a system which applies the brakes
after an impact to avoid secondary collisions.
Source:Euro NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th October 2022 at 13:31.
volkman10 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:24   #123
Team-BHP Support

Just on a point of principle, I don’t think its cool to charge a cancellation fee when bookings are being taken without final price being announced - or for that matter, till the final product is actually seen first hand by prospective customers who have booked.
Axe77 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 15:31   #124
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
So this means we can see a very competitive price right? <25L perhaps.
That would just be too good to be true.
No way. The MG ZS EV starts at 23L Ex-showroom. This car is bigger, more powerful and longer range. Assuming most of the parts are similar quality, it will be priced higher.

I am expecting 29.99 "introductory" offer.
m8002? is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 16:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Just on a point of principle, I don’t think its cool to charge a cancellation fee when bookings are being taken without final price being announced - or for that matter, till the final product is actually seen first hand by prospective customers who have booked.
Booking should be taken only after price announcement like usually done by Mahindra / Tata.

I find it quite amusing to start taking bookings before price announcement leading to so much wasted time for everybody (like HyRyder / Grand Vitara where we are seeing many cancellations now).

Fair or unfair, I don't care, but BYD must have a solid reason for a hefty cancellation fee for bookings prior to price reveal. Did anybody comprehend the reason?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 12th October 2022 at 16:33.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 17:16   #126
BHPian

I mean really? Fooling around with customers?
Attached Images

wheeledwanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 17:23   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

Fair or unfair, I don't care, but BYD must have a solid reason for a hefty cancellation fee for bookings prior to price reveal. Did anybody comprehend the reason?
May be to sell in other countries, they recently launched in other RHD markets like Thailand and Australia. The demand and the purchasing power is higher in those countries and even higher in LHD markets. In most countries demand is more then supply for Evs. So considering the shipping time and demand for sea shipping these days, I guess BYD is looking for firm customers.

So imaging if they do a refundable booking amount, even a Tiago EV customer would book it and then cancel it. Much like you saw in Ola scooters.

Many people around the world also booked the cybertruck. Knowing people in India they will also book the cybertruck, but do you think Tesla will ship and make so many RHD models due to this.

Last edited by aim120 : 12th October 2022 at 17:24.
aim120 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 17:49   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Booking amounts should always be refundable. Any customer who is open to booking a car from an essentially unknown manufacturer with negligible presence on ground, without seeing, touching or feeling the car, without a test drive and without even a price reveal, is more than committed enough. BYD can increase the booking amount to 1lakh, but it has to be 100% refundable.

50% cancellation charge on booking amounts reeks of arrogance, and can easily backfire. Especially since they are targeting premium private buyers who are used to top class treatment.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 18:10   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think the company is overconfident & feels it can pull off a Scorpio N. Prospective customers should simply give the booking miss until they get a test drive & have been informed about the price. Right now it's simply a case of buyers beware.
superbad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 21:28   #130
BHPian

I have another line of thought with why BYD is taking 50% from booking charges in event of a cancellation.

With waiting list for cars going on for years, atleast BYD is making sure that the prospective buyer is actually sure of buying if they have booked it with this move. This way the waiting period of car would reduce drastically.

Their cars initially would be in limited numbers and most probably would sell well in cities only due to better charging infrastructure. Also, they would have limited showroom initially and it would be a logistical nightmare for them to transport a car to a region where buyer isn't serious enough to buy.

I might be completely wrong with my above opinion as I am not fully aware about how logistics works for a car.

Good start by BYD by providing a 5 star rated car as their first mass market launch. Atleast they are starting with a bar higher than others.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 23:03   #131
BHPian

The same car with 60 kWh battery launched in Thailand claims 420 km WLTP range, whereas the ARAI figures is 521km range. What explains this difference?

https://paultan.org/2022/10/11/byd-a...ariant-rm147k/
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 23:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The same car with 60 kWh battery launched in Thailand claims 420 km WLTP range, whereas the ARAI figures is 521km range. What explains this difference?

https://paultan.org/2022/10/11/byd-a...ariant-rm147k/
ARAI figures are highly bloated and nowhere near the actual real world range. WLTP figures are much more realistic. Don't really know in detail how the testing differs but this has been observed in other ev cars with ARAI range also.
koolkunz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 05:15   #133

One question I have, Nexon EV Max has an ARAI range of 437 with 40kw, BYD Atto 3 with 60kw has only ARAI range of 521.
There is a huge hype on blade batteries as Next Gen than the regular LFP batteries. So Tata's ZIPTRON tech is better than blade technology or better optimisation or is this due to higher power output, more luxurious features, increased vehicle dimension and weight of BYD?

This comparison more or less applies to all foreign brands,

Please help to understand. Thanks I advance.
Old 13th October 2022, 11:25   #134

I Guess the battery chemistry is different between the two (BYD and TATA). Tata sources their battery from LG Chem and the battery is LiNMC type, which has a better energy density than LFP (blade battery) used by BYD. Where the blade battery is better I guess is in safety and lower production cost, guess it is cell to pack type....Thus the range of Nexon Max vs BYD Atto 3 and their battery size (or KM/KWh) might not be directly comparable....

Last edited by Sg01 : 13th October 2022 at 11:29.
Sg01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:41   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg01 View Post
I Guess the battery chemistry is different between the two (BYD and TATA). Tata sources their battery from LG Chem and the battery is LiNMC type, which has a better energy density than LFP (blade battery) used by BYD. Where the blade battery is better I guess is in safety and lower production cost, guess it is cell to pack type....Thus the range of Nexon Max vs BYD Atto 3 and their battery size (or KM/KWh) might not be directly comparable....
Tata also uses LFP chemistry batteries from a Chinese company (Gotion Hitech).

It's difficult to conclude the real-world range just based on some standard. Few vehicles get higher ranges in some methods compared to others. ARAI (India), NEDC (old European), CLTC (Chinese) standards are some of the worst standards for measuring EV ranges. WLTP which is the current default European standard is the most accurate and closer to real-world usage and is measured at a higher top speed, higher average speed, almost equal ratio of urban and suburban conditions, wider temperature ranges, etc...

WLTP ranges for different cars:
Hyundai Kona (39.2 kWh) = 305 km
Hyundai Kona (64 kWh) = 484 km
MG ZS (49 kWh) = 320 km
MG ZS (68.3 kWh) = 440 km
BYD Atto 3 (49.92 kWh) = 345 km
BYD Atto 3 (60.48 kWh) = 420 km

As you can see, Hyundai Kona is clearly the most efficient car compared to ZS and ATTO 3. It has an NMC battery from LG. MG ZS and BYD atto3 have similar ranges/efficiency under ARAI but as per WLTP, Atto 3 is slightly more efficient.
sri_tesla is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks