Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 18:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
Congratulations for being an early adopter, speedmiester!

All things considered, my impression is that EVs will turn out to be only marginally lower cost, but AWESOME !
Thanks, EVs are not yet for everyone. It is better suited for folks with secure parking premises and has an option to install at least a 16A socket.

Personally, cost was not a factor in my purchase. I absolutely love the driving experience of an EV and that's what I went for. The lower running and maintenance cost is just an added advantage that comes with an EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Thank you for a wonderful, in-depth review and ownership experience of the MG ZS EV.

Cannot add anything more to your comprehensive review. To all those EV sceptics out there, I have only one thing to say : test drive the car, do some research of your own about the burgeoning EV charging infrastructure and simply go for it!

It is a delightful vehicle to drive and will give you an entirely new driving experience!
Congrats on your MG ZS.

As you rightly said, many people don't even consider test driving an EV.
Some of my relatives and friends who took a short drive in my car are positively considering an EV for their next purchase.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:43   #17
BHPian

Re: Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive

Nice review. Thanks for the detailed info.
The tire price seems insanely high IMHO.

While EVs have indeed come a long way, I still can’t get my head around “fast charging” taking an hour+, when I can refuel my ICE car in 10 mins or less.
Old 6th September 2022, 20:22   #18
AZT
BHPian

Great review of a car I don't get to see much on the roads. 5 Star Thread!
Old 6th September 2022, 21:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuator View Post
Is there a way of ascertaining the overall battery health in either the car or the app, like the number of charging cycles and other such metrics?What is the battery attrition rate when the vehicle is stationary with the Aircon On, such as in a traffic
Using a compatible OBD2 adapter and a couple of specially created apps, you can monitor the battery SOH (state of health), voltage of different cells, temperature and many other parameters. See the sample screenshots below. Using aircon when stationary would use around 1KW per hour. This can obviously vary depending on outside temperature as well as the set temperature on AC. So expect about 1 to 2% battery usage per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Regarding battery health, MG mentions a degradation of 3% every year. This again depends on the driving conditions, charging cycles, slow vs fast charging etc. Frequent driving with heavy foot will also have an adverse effect on the battery. As of now, battery health cannot be monitored through app. MG Service centers will be able to do a battery health checkup. Using AC will consume about 1% charge per hour, that's about 500w/hour.
Your new vehicle has a LFP battery. This type of battery has lower degradation but is more prone to other issues like SOC drop. The earlier model has an NMC battery. That battery starts degrading around the 15 to 20k kms mark and the SOH falls rapidly to around 93% within a few months. After that the degradation slows down. We have been recording and monitoring this in various forums and websites.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-89dfddfe630b4f4894ca85875b8dc777.jpeg  

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-34911591617e45b5981e1a08da378ed4.jpeg  

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-7411ee2a59434cd7a8711faf173b252d.jpeg  

Last edited by Lobogris : 6th September 2022 at 21:34.
Lobogris is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 00:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Using a compatible OBD2 adapter and a couple of specially created apps, you can monitor the battery SOH (state of health), voltage of different cells, temperature and many other parameters. See the sample screenshots below.
Hi, is it possible to share the app and information on the OBD2 adapter? Does it make sense to use this information in a PDI to check the health of the battery before taking delivery?
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 09:02   #21
BHPian

Great writeup. Gives me a lot of confidence as I am taking delivery of a white MG ZS EV today. I have also asked the dealer to remove the "Internet Inside" and "Electric" stickers from the car.

Like you, my main driving is on the highway between Chennai and Ranipet. I plan to do the Chennai Hyderabad trip during the December holidays and also a Chennai Dindigul trip in a month or so. I will use plugshare as you suggested.

We've puchased a tire inflater so that we do not need to go to the petrol bunk for this reason.

I have two questions

1. Is there a sunglasses holder in the car?

2. Many others have opted to reduce the tire pressure to 35, are you comfortable with the 41 that the car came with?
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 09:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Great writeup. Gives me a lot of confidence as I am taking delivery of a white MG ZS EV today. I have also asked the dealer to remove the "Internet Inside" and "Electric" stickers from the car.

I have two questions

1. Is there a sunglasses holder in the car?

2. Many others have opted to reduce the tire pressure to 35, are you comfortable with the 41 that the car came with?
Congrats on your new car. Wishing you miles of pleasurable drive.

1. There is no sunglass holder as it's space is used for sunroof control

2. I am comfortable with 40psi as the tyres are on made for EVs. Try driving at the recommended pressure and you can always reduce it if you are not comfortable.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 10:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Superb review 5 stars from me. Can you clarify on the max charging rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Nice review. Thanks for the detailed info.
The tire price seems insanely high IMHO.

While EVs have indeed come a long way, I still can’t get my head around “fast charging” taking an hour+, when I can refuel my ICE car in 10 mins or less.
You need to realize that it did not take 1 hour 15 mins to charge(first stop), it would have taken atleast 40mins for breakfast and washroom. So the extra time it took for him waiting for the car to charge is 35mins on a relatively slow charging speed of 30kw. While using EVs in the city saves many 10mins of refuelling times, EVs need a new thinking.

I am of the impression that ZS EV can charge at a max rate of 70-80kw, there will be zero wait times if we have the infra with 100kw chargers.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 7th September 2022 at 10:04.
SKC-auto is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 10:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Superb review 5 stars from me. Can you clarify on the max charging rate.
Max charging rate is 50KW. On a 50KW charger, the charging time form 10-80% is around 40mins.

Quote:
You need to realize that it did not take 1 hour 15 mins to charge(first stop), it would have taken atleast 40mins for breakfast and washroom. So the extra time it took for him waiting for the car to charge is 35mins on a relatively slow charging speed of 30kw. While using EVs in the city saves many 10mins of refuelling times, EVs need a new thinking.
Second it. Even if you consider a range of 300kms, that's a 4-5 hour driving time, a break of 1hr after 300kms is pretty normal.
Coincide it with a meal stop, there will hardly be any difference in time taken for a drive between a ICE and EV cars.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-scs.png
Aditya is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 16:21   #26
BHPian

ZS EV can charge faster than 50kW. I think the max speed is 75kW. I have personally experienced a max speed of 60kW at Fortum Audi showroom in Goa between 30-50%. The below screenshot is from this charger. The car is drawing 146 Amps at 409V which works out to 59kW.

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-img_9536.jpg
lina is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 17:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
ZS EV can charge faster than 50kW. I think the max speed is 75kW. I have personally experienced a max speed of 60kW at Fortum Audi showroom in Goa between 30-50%. The below screenshot is from this charger. The car is drawing 146 Amps at 409V which works out to 59kW.
Thanks, I have not used it on a 60KW charger yet. This will bring down charging times even further.
Jio BP pulse is setting most of it's chargers at 60KW, so this will be useful
Old 9th September 2022, 11:39   #28
BHPian

Amazing ownership review and as a fellow ZS EV owner, I can relate to 100 percent of your observations. Very well written. Wish you many more happy miles. I am sure this review will help a lot of fence sitters. As mentioned by many in the thread, test drive an EV and you will be a convert
JitendraW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 20:20   #29
BHPian

Wonderful ownership review! I'm sure ownership reports like yours will give a lot of people the confidence to make the leap towards EVs.

How was your experience with back seat comfort especially on longer drives? Did the low seating height trouble you / family ? We are a tall family and hence this is my biggest worry.

Also have you faced any rattles so far especially from the sun roof ?

As regards the headlights are there any upgrade options possible ?

Wish you many many happy miles with your steed !
Old 12th September 2022, 11:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
How was your experience with back seat comfort especially on longer drives? Did the low seating height trouble you / family ? We are a tall family and hence this is my biggest worry.

Also have you faced any rattles so far especially from the sun roof ?

As regards the headlights are there any upgrade options possible ?

Wish you many many happy miles with your steed !

Thanks.
Backseat comfort is fine. My Mother says it is better compared to my earlier EcoSport. It is not Sedan level, but nevertheless not a deal breaker.

No rattles so far. Touch wood.

I don't think much can be done for the headlamps. Will look at higher wattage LED bulbs down the line
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed