Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 20:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Crossing 5000Kms on the Odo

Another 1000+km trip and completing 5000Kms

Back from another 1000+km long drive over the weekend. Also the Lightfury completed 5000kms during this trip.

I was in Mysore on Friday for personal work that didn’t materialise and my weekend suddenly was free. So planned a last-minute trip to the coast and included temple visits for my Parents.

Started off with a full charge and left Mysore at 4:30AM and reached our hotel in Udupi at 11AM which included a breakfast stop of 30 mins. That’s a distance of 307Kms with an average speed of 51kms. SOC was down to 26% when we reached Udupi.

The hotel I stayed has a DC fast charger within the premises. This helped quite a bit. By the time we freshened up and had lunch, the car was charged to 98%, this was sufficient for our afternoon drive which included temple visits at Murudeshwara, Idagunji and Kollur, this was a round trip of 274Kms. This was completed in about 7hrs drive time including a 35mins idling time with AC while we waited for the rain to subside. SOC was 27% by the time we reached the hotel for overnight stay.

Charged the car fully in the morning for the return journey back to Mysore. Opted to drive through Charmadi ghat. This was largely on 2 lane roads with some bad patches thrown in and some monstrous potholes near Belthangady. The ghat was beautiful with multiple waterfalls and lush greenery all around, this made the drive a pleasure. My Mother loved watching the rain and fog through the sunroof as we drove through the ghats (paisa vasool for the sunroof).

Driving an EV up the ghats is such a pleasurable experience. There is no lag and overtakes are dealt with efficiently with a finer input on the throttle. This helps in clearing slow moving heavy vehicles as soon as a gap opens up. Though the Energy consumption was higher during the climb up, it was well within the numbers that I had anticipated. For the climb up the ghat, the range dropped from 280kms to 198Kms for 41Kms, this is with AC and wipers at full speed due to heavy rains. We stopped for lunch at Hassan and charged for about 25mins in Hassan while we had our lunch. Reached Mysore after a total distance of 339Kms with a drive time of around 7hrs. Average speed for this leg of the journey was 48kms, SOC stood at 16%.

As part of the World EV day, Jio BP was offering Fast charging at 1Rs/KWH, so opted to charge at their new fast charger in Mysore. Charged the ZS from 12% to 91% in an hour’s time and left for Bangalore. SOC stood at 54% when I reached Bangalore. That added another 150Kms added to the weekend drive totalling 1071Kms over the weekend. Also the odo crossed the 5000kms mark on the way to Bangalore. This has come up in 44days of owning the Lightfury.

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-5000kms.jpg

Final stats:

• Distance: 1071kms
• Driving time: 22 hrs
• Avg speed: 48KMPH
• Avg consumption: 7.4Km/KWH

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-trip-info.jpg

Charging costs:

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-charging.jpg

For the entire distance I drove just like I drive an ICE car. AC was on for 90% of the time. Since there was heavy rain, Wipers and headlamps were on for more than 7hours of the total drive time. I did not have any range anxiety as I had planned the charging stops well in advance with backup plans. All charging was done during our rest stops, so it didn’t affect the overall time taken for the trip.

Unlike my earlier drive to Hyderabad, this trip included a mix of Four Lane National Highways, Two lane National Highways, 2 Lane State highways, narrow roads, potholes and broken roads. This included elevation changes from a high of 1200M to sea level of 0M. In spite of all this, Lightfury performed flawlessly and was a pleasure to drive.

Signing off with a pic of the Lightfury at Maravanthe Beach.

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-20220912_173007.jpg

Last edited by speedmiester : 12th September 2022 at 20:59.
speedmiester is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 10:42   #32
BHPian

Re: Crossing 5000Kms on the Odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
[b] I did not have any range anxiety as I had planned the charging stops well in advance with backup plans.
Thanks a lot for the useful information.

Your lightfury is really performing the duties with great sincerity. The charging time is not a lot and can be easily managed during the breaks as you have explained. Planning is the key+ some luck. In our recent trip to Kolhapur (from Pune), my friend in his Nexon EV planned such stops but the charger never worked and he really struggled and we lost lot of time.

The cost component is just mind boggling and will be very very significant if one is frequently on the roads.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 10:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive

Just amazing to read how you you manage to munch miles without having to worry about range anxiety. Good planning is a key.

I felt that EV are definitely becoming a good choice for city usage, however your highway runs are confidence inspiring. I have always had the doubts on EV performance on Ghats (Especially I drive Udupi-Bangalore once a month) so a real world range of 420-450kms considering steep ghat inclines is something I fear. Hopefully in couple more years, we will have the technology that can offer me that.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 11:17   #34
BHPian

Re: Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive

Lovely trip log!

I think I bumped into you at Malnad Cafe, Banakal.

I had some urgent work in Bangalore, so I was on a Speed run on the Citroen C5.
Old 14th September 2022, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Thanks a lot for the useful information.

Your lightfury is really performing the duties with great sincerity. The charging time is not a lot and can be easily managed during the breaks as you have explained. Planning is the key+ some luck. In our recent trip to Kolhapur (from Pune), my friend in his Nexon EV planned such stops but the charger never worked and he really struggled and we lost lot of time.
Thanks. Planning and luck is very important and it played an important role during this trip.

On the return leg, I had planned to charge for a bit at Hassan. So I didn't drive conservatively from Udupi to Hassan. This involved using sports mode in the ghats, multiple quick overtakes to pass heavy vehicles and using AC and wipers continuously. I had only about 105Km range left when I reached Hassan after climbing Charmadi ghat. Mysore was further 116kms away.

When I reached the Fast charger in Hassan, there was a power cut. So decided to hypermile to reach Mysore. But luckily the charger was online as soon as we sat for lunch, so I could charge a bit for a comfortable quicker drive.
If I had driven a little slower, I would have reached Mysore without a charging stop.

The other alternative to hypermiling I had was to use the Zeon fast charger which was further 20Kms away and take an alternate route to reach Mysore.
It is always good to have backup plans till there are sufficient fast charging options.

Quote:
The cost component is just mind boggling and will be very very significant if one is frequently on the roads
Though the fast charging costs are higher than charging at home, I am not worried about costs. This is still significantly cheaper compared to a diesel car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Just amazing to read how you you manage to munch miles without having to worry about range anxiety. Good planning is a key.

I felt that EV are definitely becoming a good choice for city usage, however your highway runs are confidence inspiring. I have always had the doubts on EV performance on Ghats (Especially I drive Udupi-Bangalore once a month) so a real world range of 420-450kms considering steep ghat inclines is something I fear. Hopefully in couple more years, we will have the technology that can offer me that.
With the ZS, Bangalore to Udupi can be done in a single charge as you will be going downhill. But on the return, one might need a quick topping up. There are enough Fast chargers between Hassan and Bangalore, these are conveniently located at good restaurants, so these top-ups can be done during a meal break.

We will be seeing more EVs with higher range and a rapidly developing fast charging network soon, this will make the transition to EVs easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRISRI_90 View Post
Lovely trip log!

Yes, I remember you overtaking me at Belthangady. C5 is a rare car on our roads and easy to remember. Looks like you were quite a hurry.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 14:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I remember you overtaking me at Belthangady. C5 is a rare car on our roads and easy to remember. Looks like you were quite a hurry.
Yes I was in quite a hurry, infact I wanted to apologise to you for the stupid overtake I pulled on you. But you were busy on the phone and helping your parents. so I didn't want to disturb you.
Please do accept my sincere apologies now.

Those narrow roads till ujire, I didn't want to be held up by others, so I was rushing through.

Unfortunately, got held up in the traffic jam up ahead at Charmadi near the roadside waterfall. So decided to take a break and soak in the scenery.
SRISRI_90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 16:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I was in quite a hurry, infact I wanted to apologise to you for the stupid overtake I pulled on you. But you were busy on the phone and helping your parents. so I didn't want to disturb you.
Please do accept my sincere apologies now.

Those narrow roads till ujire, I didn't want to be held up by others, so I was rushing through.

Unfortunately, got held up in the traffic jam up ahead at Charmadi near the roadside waterfall. So decided to take a break and soak in the scenery.
No worries there. It's okay.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:53   #38
BHPian

Thank you for the update. Good read. I ll keep the backup plan in mind while i plan my trips. Thank you once again.
Old 14th September 2022, 23:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Another 1000+km trip and completing 5000Kms

Charged the car fully in the morning for the return journey back to Mysore. Opted to drive through Charmadi ghat. This was largely on 2 lane roads with some bad patches thrown in and some monstrous potholes near Belthangady. The ghat was beautiful with multiple waterfalls and lush greenery all around, this made the drive a pleasure. My Mother loved watching the rain and fog through the sunroof as we drove through the ghats (paisa vasool for the sunroof).

[/ATTACH]
Was it you at Malnad Cafe at Banakal around 1-2 pm on Sunday the 11th? I was telling my friend that EVs are no more a headache on long trips when I, my wife and my friend stopped at the place in a Thar 700. Could be you, or someone else, but sure was happy seeing an EV drive up the ghats.
Vikki@Hyderabad is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 23:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely trip log!

Oh, I saw the C5 at Malnad Cafe as well. I was just drooling over the C5 and the MG.
Vikki@Hyderabad is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
Was it you at Malnad Cafe at Banakal around 1-2 pm on Sunday the 11th? I was telling my friend that EVs are no more a headache on long trips when I, my wife and my friend stopped at the place in a Thar 700. Could be you, or someone else, but sure was happy seeing an EV drive up the ghats.
Yes, that was me. I stopped for a quick coffee break at Malnad Cafe. I remember the Thar. I need to get the Team-Bhp stickers soon
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 15:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
Oh, I saw the C5 at Malnad Cafe as well. I was just drooling over the C5 and the MG.
Quote:
Yes, that was me. I stopped for a quick coffee break at Malnad Cafe. I remember the Thar. I need to get the Team-Bhp stickers soon
Hahaha, Yes, The ZS EV especially was looking lovely in that gloomy weather.

On a lighter note, Impromptu Team Bhp meet at Malnad Cafe, where no one spoke to each other
SRISRI_90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 17:06   #43

Great to know that drive was most pleasant. However I felt that somewhere you were also cautious about battery consumption. As there were multiple mentions of consumption; significant time loose while charging.

May be I felt that way. But again glad to know that your parents enjoyed trip and that is the most satisfying.
Old 16th September 2022, 19:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Second Free Service Update:

Lightfury was due for the second free service post covering 5000kms. This is a general inspection service. Booked a slot for service at MG Service Station at Electronic City. Car was taken in swiftly.

I have been observing a small sound from the steering on turning, raised the complaint with the SA. Though this was not observed during the short test drive, I will keep an eye on it should this persist.

The left rear tyre had a slow puncture which got picked up on the TPMS. The service centre was kind enough to fix the puncture free of cost. Also, a scratch on the front bumper was polished and fixed during the service.

Though the wash was not great, I am satisfied with the overall experience.
The car was ready by 3PM, but there was delay in getting my car out as a flood affected car had to be towed away from the premises.

• Cost of service: 0/-
• Service quality and experience: 5/5.

Hope this continues through the ownership journey.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 11:59   #45

Quote:
Second Free Service Update:

I have been observing a small sound from the steering on turning, raised the complaint with the SA. Though this was not observed during the short test drive, I will keep an eye on it should this persist.

Hope this continues through the ownership journey.
Is it a clicking sound that you are hearing just like in this video? If so, I suggest you get it fixed soon. Could see similar issue behind reported in mgev forums as well.

bionics is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed