Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 13:10   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

In addition to the aggressive pricing, the feature distribution across variants seems to be very good. That in my opinion is more important than the starting price.

Almost all features in categories of safety, connected car, digital instrument cluster are standard across variants. Almost all features under infotainment, which is easily the most sought after feature people look for, are standard except the lowest variant. With this, customers will actually be able to make use of the sub-10L pricing (unlike many other car models, where lower variants are meant to just enable a low sticker price but are missing some key features making them impractical).

With this pricing *and* feature distribution, people will actually be able to buy as per their need. For many who buy this as their second car to be used in the city, XT with smaller battery pack @ 9.09L (on road won't be much higher in most states) will be good enough. For those buying this as their primary car can always pay more to get more good-to-have features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav1up View Post
Saw the red hot hatch in the live stream. Interestingly it's not present in the brochure as an option.
+ 1, I do hope the red finally makes it to the line up. All other colors are boring and not aligning with the positioning (young/sporty) they are otherwise going for in the video ads shown so far.

Last edited by tarunjain : 28th September 2022 at 13:17.
tarunjain is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:24   #137
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Apart from the low pricing and great spread of features across the variant line up, Tata have another silent trump card: they are the company with maximum EV experience on INDIAN ROADS (unlike Citroen/Nissan) with an established service/ spares etc ecosystem experience that they have earned with years of Nexon/Tigor sales/service. Others would find that hard to accrue in a short time. Also, with a massive boost to manufacturing due to acquisition of Ford Sanand plant, they have taken care of main bottleneck constraints and should easily cruise ahead of competition that is just releasing tentative concepts/vague launch plans, not even products.
PS: Can Tata electric mobility division have separate showrooms please? Can they have a 'Jet edition' for showroom experience? The present showrooms are already overwhelmed, there's no way they're going to be prepared for this kind of tsunami product!

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 28th September 2022 at 13:38.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:33   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Charging time of 15A vs 3.3Kwh charger

Any idea why there is a difference in the charging time between 15A plus and 3.3Kwh charger? Because 15A plus can provide a continuous power of 3.3KWh!

If we consider the long range variant , the 15Amps charger takes 8.7 hrs compared to the 6.4 hrs for 3.3Kwh charger. I wonder why?!
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:38   #139
BHPian

Does it have hill start assist? Can anyone please confirm?
thugz_doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:44   #140
Senior - BHPian

Tata just nailed it! This car is going to start new Era in Indian Automobile market for sure. Tata has got this perfectly right to start with. This is what market was looking for so long, EV at reasonable price with sufficient range for city use. Now one can actually think of buying one including me.

Even if one get range of 180-200 Kms range for city in real world, it's good enough for most people's needs. Lots of IT companies are providing charging facilities for free at their premises, very good option for people working in such companies. Very good effort by Tata, All the best.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:55   #141
BHPian

I wonder how long before these features are propagated to the Tigor ev top variant at 50k price increase.

And with subsidies for commercial use and near 0 road tax, Tiago ev is a near 10L top variant car with approx 1 Rs/km running cost. A rare occasion in the recent auto industry where solid research is done and translated to the full potential it holds.

While I'm looking forward to roads being filled with these, I'm also hoping (selfishly) that word does get out as much till I can secure my first batch delivery. Else the waiting period is going to be so long.

I would love to build a premium taxi business connecting tier 2 and tier 3 cities using Tiago ev and Tigor ev top variants.
rav1up is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:57   #142
BHPian

Is the infotainment system updated? The pics on the website doesn't look like the existing ones.
Old 28th September 2022, 14:07   #143
BHPian

What is the boot space of Tiago ev?
Joelinf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:10   #144
BHPian

Are there any subsidies on this in Delhi/Gurgaon/Noida?
Old 28th September 2022, 14:15   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Okay so just revisited Tiago petrol BS6 AMT prices for today. It starts at 6.70 lakhs for XTA and tops at 7.47 lakhs for the XZA+ DT variant. Looks like the EV prices will start at 10.99 lakhs, But Tigor Ziptron prices are quite high, it starts at 12.49 lakhs for XE today.
How dare you TML ! Literally shocking prices and good packaging, never expected 8.5 Lakhs. With Ford plant dedicated for EVs now the ball is in TMLs court. Lets see what citroen is planning for tomorrow.

For the record Tiago sold about 4.25 Lakhs till date since 2016, averages around 6-7K pm. This is the 5th powertrain for Tiago after the 1.2 NA , 1.2Turbo , 1.0 Diesel and 1.2 CNG.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 28th September 2022 at 14:17.
TorqueIndia is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:26   #146
BHPian

What a banger!! Sub 10L EV that is not just a box and with claimed range of 250 KMs. Even if the real world range is half of what is claimed, this solves every city dwellers problem and more so for people living the smaller towns and villages. Best thing is that with this Tata finally breaches that lower middle class bastion! The most price sensitive and widest of our market. This is going to result in a EV fest on our roads for sure.
bordeaux is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:32   #147
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly, the Tiago EV misses out on a spare wheel, but gets a puncture repair kit.

This is due to the battery pack taking space in the boot.
payeng is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:35   #148
BHPian

Would have been better had Tata priced it in the 6.5-7.5 ball park. These are merely introductory prices and Tata will in all likelihood increase the prices to ~10L. The wait for an affordable EV continues....sigh!
kushagra452 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:50   #149
BHPian

A wonderful pricing i must say. This car will help democratize the EVs in India for sure.
The things that get in favor of Tiago EV:

- Considerable range for city use
- Compact size for city zipping and interior space is good enough
- Price
- Ownership costs

Issue i see:

- Introductory pricing
- Long waiting time (i suspect people will book this in good number, specially who need it as a second vehicle for city use)
- Issues in ASS (God forbid if something goes wrong then we know its Tata)

All in all Tata has done a remarkable job here and would sure be guiding the EV wave in India.
UD17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:02   #150
BHPian

Re: Charging time of 15A vs 3.3Kwh charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any idea why there is a difference in the charging time between 15A plus and 3.3Kwh charger? Because 15A plus can provide a continuous power of 3.3KWh!

If we consider the long range variant , the 15Amps charger takes 8.7 hrs compared to the 6.4 hrs for 3.3Kwh charger. I wonder why?!
I was thinking about the same. The only logical conclusion i came to was that they probably don't want to pull the full 15A from a socket designed for 15A and might have limited it to 12A (2.64kW) or so. This might be due to two reasons:
  • To keep safety margin for the socket
  • To keep safety margin for the wire leading to the socket. The wire might be old, or undersized, or of inferior quality, etc.

With their own 3.3kW charger, they have control over the above parameters and hence allow the full 15A current.

That's my assumption.
jalsa777 is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed