Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 12:14   #196
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Pricing is very good indeed! Will attract a lot of buyers, especially those who look for a second car for city commutes. Real world range of 180 to 220 kms should be more than enough for daily usage within city.

Thought process of TATA is very commendable . Small hatchback EV's will be very successful in our country. I think there will be a lot of buyers for XT variants (both short and long range).

I'm thinking to book one on OCT10th. Have to work on a strategy to convince the boss at home
dvr08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:20   #197
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Is this understanding correct that the Tiago EV will not have a spare wheel? What is the solution?
To give you some level of comparison, I would say that anyone buying this new Tiago EV will experience a situation similar to mine. My little 10 year old Mini Cooper doesn’t and has never had a spare wheel/ tyre. It also offers very tiny luggage space, just like the Tiago.

In India, as Ive said earlier Runflat tyres are a risk. Luckily my car has regular tubeless tyres. For the most part one simply carries a tyre inflator and this ought to solve the problem of those oh-so-possible tyre punctures.
shankar.balan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:35   #198
BHPian

What a paradigm shift in Tata's marketing strategy!

Nano failed because it was marketed as the cheapest car so no one bought it because no one wants a cheap car.

Now, even with the Tiago's super aggressive starting price, the whole launch just talked about the telematic features all across the range, premium leatherette seats, Harman system etc. There was no mention of how 'cheap' the car is. They just announced the price and let people decide what they want to think of it; cheap OR Incredible value!
anshumandun is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:55   #199
BHPian

My initial excitement is fizzling out a bit because of the following. I am just wondering if its better to wait for gen 2/3 that would be launched in a few months/quarters.

Not having a spare tyre/wheel is a big red flag for me.
Quote:
Speaking to Autocar India at the launch, Shailesh Chandra, managing director of Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles division, says, “This [the Tiago EV] will be the last Gen-1 product. Now, we enter Generation-2.”

In Tata parlance, Gen-1 refers to quick conversions of the company’s existing platforms and fitting battery packs as cost effectively as possible. As Chandra puts it, "Our strategy has been to evolve with electrification, so at the start, with the low market size, we have ICE conversions to profitably deliver products at lower volumes." For example, the Tiago EV features a custom split-battery pack nestled in the fuel tank space and boot floor, but leaving no space for the spare tyre.

On the other hand, Generation-2 is all about “taking ICE architecture but extensively modifying it to create orthogonal spaces for a bigger battery pack.” So, expect things like a flat floor in Gen-2.

Gen-3 would ultimately be the born-electric vehicles.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 29th September 2022 at 13:00.
ajayc123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 13:04   #200
BHPian

This can only be a city car at the best. But absolutely efficient city car. I'm planning to book one, but worried about Tata ASS and wait times for real time delivery. Regarding other things, I think Tata has proven with success of Nexon that they can do decent electric vehicles. They are giving an additional drivetrain option for Tiago. I'm currently in nothing wrong in booking one mode. To be honest there aren't any options for an electric city car unless we are willing to more than double on the price. This is a true beater car for in city runs.
destinykid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 13:20   #201
Senior - BHPian

One starts to see the value of an EV immediately once he/she actually sits down to calculate the running costs (existing vehicle vs. EV). On one hand, there is so much hue and cry about fuel prices with per km (petrol only) cost going beyond INR 10-12 rupees for many cars. And here, Tata is offering a well-tested (in ICE form) EV which not only brings your running costs down but also keeps your initial capital expenditure low which was not the case with Nexon.

Just for the sake of it, lets compare the costs (EV vs. ICE):

My Santro returns around 11kmpl in city traffic. If I run 1000km a month and petrol is at INR 100 per litre - thats around INR 9100 of fuel costs per month.

Comparatively, an EV charged at home will consume around 120 units (please correct me if I am wrong) of electricity to run 1000kms. That around 1000-1500 bucks a month.

So you save around INR 8000 approx. a month and close to a Lakh in a year. The running costs deems the Tiago a no-brainer.

The savings are even more if the running increases. For e.g., my daily commute has increased to 75kms and I spend close to 700-800 bucks every day which can reduce to 80 bucks ~ 90% savings. I will be saving more than INR 2.5L a year I guess. That is just mind boggling.

The only drawback for an EV right now (for me personally) is the infra to set up individual charging points in large apartment societies. If I manage to resolve that and get an individual charging point in my parking spot, I may book one TODAY.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th September 2022 at 13:23.
Pancham is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 13:28   #202

Wondering what Altroz EV could do to this jam packed mid size 4m market? If priced correctly just like Tiago EV, it would even become the best seller. All those who want a Electric car and has charging facility at home would opt for either Tiago or Altroz in EV trim.
vamsi.m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 13:28   #203
BHPian

Quote:
My initial excitement is fizzling out a bit because of the following. I am just wondering if its better to wait for gen 2/3 that would be launched in a few months/quarters.

Not having a spare tyre/wheel is a big red flag for me.

It's totally based on your requirement. If you have a car that can be used for the next 2-3years then it would be smart to wait.

But the next-gen cars (Gen2 or Gen3) are not going to be cheaper than the current EVs. It will come with a better range and features but will surely have a higher price tag too. Tiago EV will remain the cheapest EV for the near short term.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 13:37   #204

Hi all, this would be my first post on Team-Bhp. Truly happy to be a part of this family

I believe the launch of the Tiago EV is a true game changer and we could see more manufacturers wanting a bite of this pie.

However, i would still hold on to my cheque for the Altroz or Punch EV. A couple of lakhs would most probably get you a spare tyre / additional boot space / flat floor / more space and a Gen 2 EV. I am also quite keen to see how does the suspension of the Tiago deal with all the extra weight, thats another reason i would wait for Altroz or Punch EV which would hopefully have a better ride quality considering better distribution of weight of the battery pack.
Nikhilvm4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:10   #205
Senior - BHPian

Did a quick calculation on how much would be running costs for my daily 30km usage vs. a small ICE car and this is what it looks like. Assuming this is the way to do the quick math and i made no errors.

I considered the smaller battery and the max unit rate for electricity in MH if you exceed 300units/mth of consumption which I do.

Makes absolute sense to me as the primary run about car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range-ev-cost.png  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:12   #206

All in all, this pricing has made it a very lucrative offer for city drive/second car. Saw some BHPians giving very detailed calculation highlighting the economics over ICE. I was just curious on the "Battery Replacement cost" part of an EV ownership.
When does typically an EV battery need to be replaced, and how much that would cost? Will that cost eat up the savings made over the last running years?
Thanks in advance for whoever can enlighten me please.
pronad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:16   #207
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Is this understanding correct that the Tiago EV will not have a spare wheel? What is the solution?

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-motors-425883
This is for cost reduction and also helps in packaging battery packs properly. Anyways spare wheels are very rarely used nowadays. I did not used mine in last 12 years. we will see this trend in many other cars including ICE.
satish.gawai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:21   #208
Senior - BHPian

I recently spent some time in the US and stayed with my friend who has a Tesla Model 3 and realized the potential savings and contribution to environment by using an electric, automatic car for city roundabouts and usual chores.

The pricing under 10 lakh INR makes is 'affordable' to certain set of people like me who need a beater car for the ladies in the house.

I see a Tiago EV in my parking garage 3-4 years down The pricing is so good that if had no other priorities and one extra parking space, I would have booked this one right away!!
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:22   #209
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

That is insane pricing from Tata Motors. I am sure they will be worried about their production capacity in the coming months. It is great to see EVs at the same price range as its ICE version (sooner than expected). Tata will continue its dominance in EV market for some more time. Hope other players are tying their shoes tight.

Yesterday I was at Tata Motors for some work, guess what is next coming to us. THE PUNCH EV.

Cheers.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th September 2022 at 16:13. Reason: Post formatting
satish.gawai is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:29   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
This is for cost reduction and also helps in packaging battery packs properly. Anyways spare wheels are very rarely used nowadays. I did not used mine in last 12 years. we will see this trend in many other cars including ICE.
Just for peace of mind. I would like to avoid a situation there is some sudden tyre damage that cannot be repaired.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks