Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 23:30   #151
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mahindra XUV400 EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by advant View Post
The EC variant comes with a battery size of 34.5KWH whereas the EL variant comes with 39.5KWH. if the TD vehicle has the same capacity as the production vehicle, it should have the 34.5KWH battery. Otherwise, a projected 0-100% range of 262Km (dash showed 184Km with 70% SOC) is significantly short of the advertised range of 453Km for the EL variant.
Range shown depends on how it was driven by previous test drive customers and most customers who are test driving it will have a lead foot.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 23:37   #152
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has showcased the XUV400 Formula E edition ahead of their very first home race this weekend.

All changes are cosmetic-only and are inspired by the M9Electro Formula E race car’s livery.

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965923100.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965925921.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965928459.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965947639.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965950980.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965954170.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-fb_img_1675965959306.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 11:27   #153
BHPian

Can someone confirm if ESP is available in the 400? IIRC, the September media drive vehicles didn't have one and it was said that Mahindra is still fine tuning the ESP for customer cars. Now that the car has hit showrooms, there's no mention of ESP anywhere in the brochure. Multiple reviews and even the showroom guys have reported that it isn't available. Is it the case?
Old 20th February 2023, 18:55   #154
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Siddharth Devnani for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I have shortlisted the XUV400 as a contender as I'm looking at a decently sized (read spacious interior) and feature-rich EV under 23 lakhs OTR in Mumbai. I took test drives and spent good time observing the display model to see if it checks all our boxes. Booked it without thinking too much just to get the launch offer.

- Booking experience was smooth. Booked online within the first 5 minutes of the website opening up with no website issues or traffic choking the servers (wow, right?). I'm sure they have under-advertised this launch. Even the buzz in the showroom was nil to be honest. Initially, the booking acknowledgement email from them didn't commit to the launch price assurance, but 15 days later the login on the website had it.

- As per the sales executive, this is a 100% Mahindra-managed allocation process (heard this too many times - we know better) and it includes a survey for a charger setup. He asked me to await their call. I wanted to know about chargers like how's the setup, how much wiring they'll provide, which brand, etc. But no information has been shared with the showrooms. No quotation for OTR price is available either at this stage.

- There is definitely no ESP. In addition, there is no hill hold or hill descend control of any sort. No auto hold either unless it's on "L gear" for max regen. I observed roll back on minor slopes at signals during the TD as well. Whether this effects the driving experience depends on what you are used to, so I’m not getting into that. The discussion on Tiago EV thread fully applies here.

- Overall ride quality is good. M&M knows the suspension game well.

- For driving performance, my judgment is limited to 1-2 km test drives. Honestly, I felt the XUV400, ZS EV and Kona are almost at par, but the Nexon isn't too far behind - especially in the city. In the age of charger uptime anxiety, who's flooring EVs to utilise the 8 second 0-100 km/h time on highways anyway?

- There is shockingly no Android Auto & this has not been highlighted in any review. It's there in the brochure and website but not in the infotainment menu. The sales executive mentioned that it's not coming later either. It's almost the biggest reason for me to cancel the booking! No Google maps is a deal breaker. I really hope this is not true, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

I wasn't able to test Apple CarPlay without an iPhone, so I’m not sure if it's available at launch or coming soon, but at least it's there in the infotainment menu. If anyone else has a different experience on test drives, please do share.

- The music quality (not an audiophile) is average and nothing to speak much about. Preferred the Kona here.

- Biggest boot space, rear leg room, cabin width and roominess compared to Nexon & Kona, but also the most aged looking cabin.

- It's missing out on many creature comforts which makes me want to cancel the booking - no auto dimming IVRM, 2010 era MID, no ventilated seats, no Android Auto, boring dashboard design, and of course, there's the lack of confidence in a high-tech first-gen launch from M&M. Off topic - we got the XUV700 at launch but weren't as concerned as we trust M&M with ICE drivetrains and are happy to report zero issues 1+ year later except for minor bugs in Adrenox, which is tolerable if your expectations aren't super high. But with an EV, the whole drivetrain is what we become beta testers for. But, I must also say that I didn't see any glitches in any XUV400 I checked out and they have time till the they start delivering in case any turn up. I have high hopes of reliability and wish the best to M&M and XUV400 customers for stress free ownership.

- Overall what works for the XUV400 is good suspension, more than just 2 front airbags, decent cabin & boot space - and that's about it. The Nexon or Kona wins on all other parameters! I strongly feel the performance on paper and range advantage is unlikely to woo customers away from the Tatas and MGs, as the real life difference is pretty minor and all the EVs are anyway far head of their ICE alternatives' performance.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 20:34   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Siddharth Devnani for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
The website clearly states the infotainment supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. https://mahindraelectricautomobile.c...400#technology That miscommunication highlights the problem with Mahindra dealerships. They are clueless about EVs most of the time. It is not on their money making priority sales list either.
Old 24th February 2023, 07:47   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
We have had a very disappointing experience with Mahindra Electric.
We own a Nexon EV personally so bought a Mahindra Treo 3-wheeler for ferrying our staff from the nearby villages. This is a 3+1 seaters which looks like a proper 3-wheeler and not the usual e-rickshaw contraption. Plus it has a Lithium battery unlike the Lead Acid ones on other 3-wheelers.
Welcome to the world of Mahindra electric. These guys bought maini for the Reva but missed the knowledge transfer. They are manufacturing faulty vehicles since e2o plus. I am one of the victims. I purchased an e2o plus. And in the first year of ownership faced so many issues I've not faced with my Punto in 12 years of ownership.
First rain the car stops charging, found out that the roof had leakage and water dripped on the charging board under the passenger seat. Solution: silicon was used to fill the gaps that the factory missed!!
After 2 months, exact same thing that you faced, car charged at night,won't move in the morning. Got it towed to service centre, got it back after 3-4 days.
This repeated 3 more times in the year. I used to just believe what service centre did to fix the car. During first service, i went to the service centre myself with the car, saw a few more e2o plus victims, then i dug into the service records for my car to understand what was the previous fixes.
Those geniuses have replaced a 10amp fuse with a 20amp fuse because it blew up first time. Second time 30 amp, third time 40 amp. This time the whole cable harness where the fuse holder was, had melted. Luckily I wasn't in the news for being burnt down alive in the car.
Sold the car the very next day.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th February 2023 at 08:20. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Mighty_Eagle is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:48   #157
BHPian

No cruise control is a deal breaker for me. M & M should provide this basic feature in this car. I had visited the showroom, but got disappointed after knowing this.

The front design of the car looks odd too, resembling a blind person... could have been done better.
Old 17th March 2023, 15:15   #158
BHPian

Came across this review by Faisal Khan. I am not a diehard fan or anything as such, but I like his POV reviews. But this review, I find it a little strange. I have briefly glanced the TBHP review of the XUV 400 when it was published, and I dont remember reading so many gremlins. Also, the car looks a little cheap in the video, like the interior bits, charging flap. I have seen this car at the E-expo in Hyderabad, and I remember it was much better than how I see it in the video.

I am surprised by the bashing( correct me if wrong) that he has done.
Old 17th March 2023, 20:23   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
https://Youtu.be/DE2OW2V1X_U

Came across this review by Faisal Khan. I am not a diehard fan or anything as such, but I like his POV reviews. But this review, I find it a little strange.

I am surprised by the bashing( correct me if wrong) that he has done.
Same pinch! I like that POV style of video that he does. Kinda gives a first person perspective of things. But the wailing and whining...not a fan. Watched this review yesterday and couldn't help feeling the exact way you did. I had multiple test drives of the 4OO and it's competitors like Nexon EV max and Kona (yet to do the ZS drive). From what I could make out, his bashing did seem a bit too harsh. That doesn't mean the 4OO is without flaws. The interiors are definitely a big let down. The difference is night and day when you get out of a 4OO and into the Nexon EV. Kona feels a cut above both of them in this regard. But the 4OO has its strengths - loads of performance, space and safety (lack of TC & ESP not withstanding). The parts where I disagree the most with Faisal in the above video is the ride quality and braking. Regarding ride quality, he was on a well paved road and still managed to complain about it. My TD experience was just the opposite. There's a section of road close to my home with uneven road surface for quite some distance. During TD, I took all 3 vehicles through this section and the 4OO was the most comfortable. I expected the Kona to be least comfortable, but it was the Nexon EV which took the cake in that regard, so much so that I started feeling sick, most probably due to overinflated tires. The 4OO felt like a proper, rugged SUV with a pliant ride. My folks were also really impressed with its ride quality. Regarding the braking, it was highly predictable too and I could notice zero inconsitencies. Even during my initial TD of the 4OO, I could stop the car predictably. Not sure what he's talking about here. The steering is a bit too light for my liking, but it's manageable. The NMC battery chemistry is a bit worrying, especially since future M&M models are touted to have LFP batteries. Overall, I felt that the car has got its mechanical basics right, but there's nothing cutting edge here that you would normally relate with an EV.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 20:26   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Same pinch! I like that POV style of video that he does. Kinda gives a first person perspective of things. But the wailing and whining...not a fan. Watched this review yesterday and couldn't help feeling the exact way you did. I had multiple test drives of the 4OO and it's competitors like Nexon EV max and Kona (yet to do the ZS drive). From what I could make out, his bashing did seem a bit too harsh. That doesn't mean the 4OO is without flaws. The interiors are definitely a big let down. The difference is night and day when you get out of a 4OO and into the Nexon EV. Kona feels a cut above both of them in this regard. But the 4OO has its strengths - loads of performance, space and safety (lack of TC & ESP not withstanding). The parts where I disagree the most with Faisal in the above video is the ride quality and braking. Regarding ride quality, he was on a well paved road and still managed to complain about it. My TD experience was just the opposite. There's a section of road close to my home with uneven road surface for quite some distance. During TD, I took all 3 vehicles through this section and the 4OO was the most comfortable. I expected the Kona to be least comfortable, but it was the Nexon EV which took the cake in that regard, so much so that I started feeling sick, most probably due to overinflated tires. The 4OO felt like a proper, rugged SUV with a pliant ride. My folks were also really impressed with its ride quality. Regarding the braking, it was highly predictable too and I could notice zero inconsitencies. Even during my initial TD of the 4OO, I could stop the car predictably. Not sure what he's talking about here. The steering is a bit too light for my liking, but it's manageable. The NMC battery chemistry is a bit worrying, especially since future M&M models are touted to have LFP batteries. Overall, I felt that the car has got its mechanical basics right, but there's nothing cutting edge here that you would normally relate with an EV.
I have a feeling he didnt receive his payment from Mahindra. I mean, in some of the comments he himself was mentioning about other youtubers making paid reviews and stuff. But I feel he is bashing Mahindra for not receiving his share. I also remember him bashing the Vstrom 250 SX in a similar manner(please correct me if I am wrong).
Old 17th March 2023, 20:36   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
he himself was mentioning about other Youtubers making paid reviews and stuff.
I stopped watching his videos after his extremely hateful video about EVs, where everytime he shows an EV with fire, children mining etc, and shows Fossil fuel cars running on nice mountan roads or empty city roads.

I am sure this guy is paid heavily for making such a hateful video against EVs either by that car company which started selling Hybrids or by the oil industry. It's ironic if he is crying that others are doing paid reviews.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 11:42   #162
BHPian

Re: My disappointing experience with the Mahindra Electric Treo

Mahindra got to know about the problems we were facing, thanks to this amazing forum.
I was contacted by Mahindra people through Team-BHP and then the responsibility of getting the problems rectified finally fell on our area's manager. He called up and was concerned about our charging point having improper earthing and I assured him that my business involves usage of so much electronics and other machinery that I have 24 Earthing points on my campus!
A date was then setup and he arrived with an engineer in tow on the appointed date.
They got a taste of the problems and were thankfully able to diagnose them.:
The BMS was updated and brake switch was changed.
They then charged it fully and left it overnight and were able to see for themselves the battery drain issue. There was a current leak somewhere in the wiring and that was also identified and rectified.
They also showed the driver how to 'reboot' the machine!

The Treo has been functioning properly since then and I hope that it will keep working like this!

The Mahindra guy was very concerned about my post on Team-BHP. I told him that I wrote a very normal post without using harsh words. I do not like the sense of entitlement that many people feel just because they have bought something from a company and feel that the company is beholden to them for life. I told him that the most important thing is that organizations have a system of following up on feedback and ensuring that the customer's grievances are listened to, if within reasonable limits.
I am really happy to benefit from Mahindra's response but would like them to ensure that the rest of the Treo customers are also accorded the same courtesy as a Team-BHP member.
That would be the greatest satisfaction!
Alfresco is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 06:30   #163
BHPian

Happy to report that I have got home the XUV400. The deliveries started yesterday and and was happy to prepone on the dealer's request to avoid Gudi padwa rush, getting one of the first deliveries as a consequence. Booking, PDI, payment, delivery ceremony - all super smooth with Mahindra and the dealer NBS.

After a long drive through Mumbai traffic and a short spin later at night, some initial observations. Hopefully followed by an ownership review.
- it infact has Android Auto thankfully
- ESP and traction control is missing. Was expected to made available for the final production variant as per reviews from last year.
- Air-conditioning is great. Glad to have no compromise here
- fun mode (eco) is really tuned for economy. Will start by default each time. Fast mode (normal) is needed for an ev experience.
- L mode (single pedal) helpful in bumper to bumper. It is like switching on auto hold from an automatic gearbox and forcing it on 1st for lots of engine braking. It doesn't prevent roll back though. Hill hold is missed.
- electronic parking brake not missed as the P gear is a button which does the same job. Manual handbrake is additionally available for parking.
- D to R to D will take some getting used to due to the BMWish great selector. Instead of going 2 notches (DNR or RND) it is actually 2 button presses. Maybe it needed a few micro seconds to go via N or maybe in doing it wrong. Feels premium but not intuitive as of day 1.
- drive quality is on point - beautifully absorbing broken roads.

Overall ignore the naysayers, this seems like a solid mature product so far, despite the shortcomings in feature list & aged cabin. Safety, space, performance and drive makes it VFM as a family car. Except for ESP, it has all the essentials.

If anyone has questions or wants to know anything specific I'll be happy to report back
sidoxic is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:58   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
If anyone has questions or wants to know anything specific I'll be happy to report back
Congratulations on getting home the XUV400. Could you share a few photos during delivery and otherwise too?
Torque_Curve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 21:15   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
- ESP and traction control is missing. Was expected to made available for the final production variant as per reviews from last year.
Except for ESP, it has all the essentials.

Congrats on your purchase. Do consider starting an ownership thread on the 400. Is there any news of ESP being introduced any time soon? That was something Mahindra definitely had to give in this car, considering the torque delivery it's capable of.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks