Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 16:59   #166
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV400 EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Congratulations on getting home the XUV400. Could you share a few photos during delivery and otherwise too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Do consider starting an ownership thread on the 400. Is there any news of ESP being introduced any time soon? That was something Mahindra definitely had to give in this car, considering the torque delivery it's capable of.
Yes, I intend to start an ownership thread including photos - but for now it's parked away, waiting for number plates and charger installation, so not got a chance to click any.

ESP was to be introduced for production models as per the TBHP review and other reports from the 2022 media drives. One guy at the dealership mentioned they are likely to provide software updates in the future - for features like hill hold control and ESP. I'll take that with buckets of salt though. Maybe some Mahindra insiders can help answer this. Is ESP activation possible only by software?
sidoxic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 17:19   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
Happy to report that I have got home the XUV400.
Heartiest congratulations!!!

Which variant? Top end?
Old 28th March 2023, 22:22   #168
BHPian

Looks like Autocar India has done a range test of the 400. They are hinting it somewhere around the 250 kms mark. Their range test with Nexon EV max concluded the average range at about 260 kms. This link gives more info.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 28th March 2023 at 22:25.
Old 11th April 2023, 20:09   #169
BHPian

Autocar India has done a comparison between the Nexon EV max and the 4OO, the former coming across as a more rounded offering. An interesting perspective on the seemingly rushed nature of the 4OO's launch is that this is being done for Mahindra to meet the CAFE norms. There could be an updated 4OO in the cards addressing the niggles soon.

OT: The Autocar India video describes the suspension setup as 'soft'. IMHO it is anything but soft. My definition of a soft suspension would be the erstwhile Hyundais. My Fluidic Elantra has a soft suspension. In my mind, the 4OO suspension felt very robust with a hint of firmness. It didn't have the usual undulations after climbing up a speed breaker. Settles into a nice flat ride at lower and higher speeds...felt very Compass like. Can someone really show some light on how to gauge suspension setups? Would really love to expand my horizons on the same and correct any misinformation that I may have imbibed.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 11th April 2023 at 20:21.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 00:50   #170
BHPian

Quote:
An interesting perspective on the seemingly rushed nature of the 4OO's launch is that this is being done for Mahindra to meet the CAFE norms. There could be an updated 4OO in the cards addressing the niggles soon.
CAFE NORMS FOR ELECTRIC?

Is this something new that has come up from the Government?
Old 3rd May 2023, 07:37   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
CAFE NORMS FOR ELECTRIC?

Aren't the CAFE norms based on the sales volume weighted average of the manufacturer? If they are not meeting the norms, heavy fines can be imposed it seems.
Old 3rd May 2023, 08:57   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CAFE NORMS FOR ELECTRIC?

Selling EVs allows the manufacturer to sell more diesel and large SUVs, very much needed for a manufacturer like Mahindra.

https://www.autocarindia.com/industr...portant-424423
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:03   #173
BHPian

Isnt it easier for MnM to go in for ISG hybrid, start stop system, regen braking which carry points as well as I guess carbon neutral manufacturing I think.

Selling Electrics to be able to sell more Diesels will take a lot of time given the cost and infra India has.

Also with 10000 XUV400 bookings they have already achieved 20000 units sale ability given that credit for each BEV is 3.

Dont know if Commercial is also added as they are the highest selling in India for EV three wheelers.

Last edited by sagsaw : 3rd May 2023 at 09:07.
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:09   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
Yes, I intend to start an ownership thread including photos - but for now it's parked away, waiting for number plates and charger installation, so not got a chance to click any.
Awaiting eagerly for your ownership thread.
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:11   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't the CAFE norms based on the sales volume weighted average of the manufacturer? If they are not meeting the norms, heavy fines can be imposed it seems.
I really don't think MnM is crazy enough to launch a rushed product for sure.

And that too a new technology as EV.
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:35   #176
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I spent a couple of days with the XUV400 & thoroughly enjoyed it. For v1 of a proper EV from Mahindra (e-Logan & Reva rubbish don't count), they have done a darn good job.

- The first thing I wanted to observe was the ride quality since the media drives were on a track. I intentionally took it on bad roads and am happy to update that ride quality is compliant. I was worried that Mahindra might have stiffened things up too much for the battery's weight, but was at ease after driving the car.

- The interiors feel terribly boring & dull. The touchscreen is also too small, while the speakers are rubbish.

- Brake pedal is very sharp. It will take some getting used to when you are new to the car.

- Loved "L" mode in which you can literally drive with just the A-pedal (one pedal EV driving).

- Auto hold was sorely missed on a steep incline in my compound. Club that with the instant torque & sharp brake pedal, and it led to a tricky situation or two.

- The power delivery in "fearless mode" (cheesy, I know) is fantastic! You will enjoy the acceleration. You will enjoy the tyres chirping when you floor it.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2023 at 11:36.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 16:13   #177
BHPian

Real World review of the range by Zigwheels.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 16:14   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Loved "L" mode in which you can literally drive with just the A-pedal (one pedal EV driving).

My favourite too

When in an EV drive like an EV and L mode for EV.

Fun real fun to do single pedal driving.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 19:14   #179
BHPian

Quote:
I really don't think MnM is crazy enough to launch a rushed product for sure.

And that too a new technology as EV.
I hope so too. But the missing stuff when compared to its immediate rival, Nexon EV max, is glaringly obvious. Forget ventilated seats, EPB, auto hold, digital instrument cluster and even something as rudimentary as automatic climate control, I don't get it why Mahindra has not provided ESP for what is essentially an instant torque monster. The NMC batteries being provided when M&M themselves have confirmed LFP for their EV model lineup due for 2025 launch is also another sore point. Maybe all this was done for some competitive pricing advantage. Mechanically though, it felt much superior to the Nexon. Waiting with bated breath for an updated 4OO covering the missing points.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th May 2023 at 22:41. Reason: a word
GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 22:31   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I hope so too. But the missing stuff when compared to its immediate rival, Nexon EV max, is glaringly obvious. Forget ventilated seats, EPB, auto hold, digital instrument cluster and even something as rudimentary as automatic climate control, I don't get it why Mahindra has not provided ESP for what is essentially an instant torque monster. The NMC batteries being provided when M&M themselves have confirmed LFP for their EV model lineup due for 2025 launch is also another sore point. Maybe all this was done for some competitive pricing advantage. Mechanically though, it felt much superior to the Nexon. Waiting with baited breath for an updated 4OO covering the missing points.
You have covered most of the differences but you have missed one of the crucial things - Cruise control. It is very important in an EV car and it helps in extending range.

Most Viewed