Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 19:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV400 EV Review

Finally the Tivoli gets its a** back

Mahindra should have released it this way even in ICE format along with a proper AT gearbox rivalling the koreans. Anyways finally it looks proportionate. Am just wondering how exactly will mahindra cater to demand? Their existing lineup itself has 1 year+ waiting

Thanks for the excellent review. Rated 5*.

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th September 2022 at 19:58.
SoumenD is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 21:06   #32
BHPian

So after all that born electric hype, this is it?

This is a significant departure from all other recent excellent products from Mahindra.

1. Why this had to be XUV 300 based or lookalike?

2. Interiors? They look like from a 20 year old Toyota. Well built but boring. More so in an electric (supposed to be more modern/ funky).

3. Pathetic legroom and space management. Lap belt for middle passenger at rear is just not acceptable.

4. Copper finish? Who does that. This is not a demo or a concept. Can't imagine them to look pleasing to eyes to anyone after a year or so.

IMO, Good choice if someone is hell bend to buy electric (pricing will be key factor). Otherwise this looks like a dated toy.

I am 100% convinced within 5 years we will have properly designed EVs from most manufacturers. These converts are simply not convincing for making a switch to electric as yet.
Indepth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 22:24   #33
BHPian

Despite all the negative comments in the looks department, one big thing this has over the XUV300 is the extra 200 mm - Makes such a big difference and looks like a complete car.

Now let's hope with substantial market feedback and rethinking on the color scheme, they will come up with something more pleasing to the eye.
mindshack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 00:12   #34

Came to comment how I disliked design specially that copper colour use and seems the discussion here if full of that. What logic is it that electricity travels through copper and so we will use copper colour - so dumb. At least they should have considered a little better shade if anything.

What to talk about the interior - I have seen close relatives not considering XUv300 with biggest downside being interiors- I was hoping the facelift would change that and XUV400 would be the place to see those new upcoming interiors, but alas.
rtdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 01:01   #35
BHPian

What was Mahindra thinking with the use of copper color? This one neither looks funky to a 20 year old, nor stylish to a 40.

I really want to upgrade my Vento with a subtle looking electric car, and under 15lacs, my options are none. Yes, I find Nexon EV to also have overused the Blue. I hope Tata releases Altroz with minimalistic and clean color.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2022 at 07:42. Reason: Missing punctuation marks.
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 06:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Yes, I find Nexon EV to also have overused the Blue.
So true, still it sells well since it's good VFM. Hopefully, good designers from the years past will rise one day and design EVs that look like normal cars, not like kids' toys. Mahindra is churning out some powerful engines but always missing out on a few desirable features. I would any day trade the sunroof with autodimming IRVM and ventilated seats, even if these cost me more.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2022 at 07:42. Reason: Capitalising.
jazzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 21:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

It was getting tiring to see all EVs sport that blue accent to project image of eco friendliness and all but this copper is worse. Can’t believe I’m saying this, but bring the blue back if there is an obligation to distinguish EVs. Seriously who asked for their EVs to come with accents?
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 20:01   #38

I think M&M succeeded in their attempt to test the waters before actually launching this joke of a car. The car is not production ready so they might have ample time to sort this mess together.

Why they rushed it up & unveiled an uncooked product to the public might be attributed to:
1) They want to have an actual user behavior study with XUV 400 so that, those behaviors, patterns & learnings can be applied to develop future Boxy Electric, oh sorry!! Born Electric (BE) lineup .
2) They have to deliver proof of concept to investors for the upcoming electric segment to increase the faith quotient

3) Or they are not serious about EVs. They are just doing it for the heck of it. I mean look at promotional communications, haphazard launch event, low-cost cringy music video (we go four o o)🤮, all these things make me think they are just sailing with this project with a B-team while A-Team milks ICE market with XUV 700 & Scorpio-N.

In 2024 can we even imagine this car in competition with the likes of Tata Curvv? (only if Curvv makes it to the real world)

Keywords for this one are:
Ugly & Outdated
Old 17th September 2022, 22:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sak8 View Post
Why they rushed it up & unveiled an uncooked product to the public might be attributed to...
I think there's also a factor of Chinese brands (specifically, BYD) making strides in the market: once they start grabbing the headlines, it would be difficult to get the product noticed.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 17:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
The specs for Xuv400:
39.4 kWh Li-ion battery pack powers a 148 BHP & the ARAI claimed range for the Mahindra XUV400 is 456 km.

Nexon EV MAX:
40.5 kWh battery pack powers a 141 BHP & ARAI-certified range of 437 km.

So how does XUV400 manage better range vs NEV Max?

Things that do not add up:
1. XUV is a bigger vehicle
2. Almost the same battery pack
3. More powerful engine/motor for XUV400.
Actually it comes down to the chemistry of the battery packs that are being used in the XUV400 and Nexon EV max. The Manganese copper battery pack is more energy denser than the Lithium Ion pack of the nexon EV max and hence the difference. If you need more details you can check out any such video on youtube and you will be provided with the proper set of energy density values as well .
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 18:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Prices in Jan'23 and deliveries in Dec'23?

So many missing features
  • No regenerative adjustment
  • No fog lamps
  • No wireless charger

A suggestion to Mahindra, please ..
A fine morning and the scene opens with the XUV400 EV project leaders reporting to their boss:

Leader A: "Saar.. the car is ready for beta, do we need to add or remove any feature?"

Leader B: "Saar.. we need to finalize the variants and their trim levels"

Boss: "I have an idea. We ask the Team-BHP guys to test drive this car and review it. The folks there will come up with very useful suggestions."

Everyone's face brightens up except that of a guy in suit. He raises his hand.

Suit: "Excuse me Sir, they will slap us an 8-digit figure as consultant fee."

Everyone laughs.

Boss: "They won't take any monies. You haven't read TBHP forums yet?"

Suit embarrassed: "No sir, I read Bloomberg only. I'm in sales projection. But they'll ask for co-branding, maybe?"

Boss is now irked: "They'll slap a bumper sticker. That's all. Believe me. "

Suit shakes is head: "Too good to be true. Which decal is that? "

Boss is now truly : "Live to Drive!"

Suit exclaims: " Oh Live to Drive?!!. I have seen it everywhere except on the PM's car!!"

Boss is now truly madly deeply Scene cuts when the window pane shatters and the suit lands in carpark along with his chair.
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 21:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Actually it comes down to the chemistry of the battery packs that are being used in the XUV400 and Nexon EV max. The Manganese copper battery pack is more energy denser than the Lithium Ion pack of the Nexon EV max and hence the difference. If you need more details you can check out any such video on Youtube and you will be provided with the proper set of energy density values as well .
Yes, exactly my view.

If an LFP battery of 40KWh is 300kg, then an NMC battery of 40KHh will be say 250kg. With both Nexon EV Max vs XUV400, we have ~40KWh battery. Does XUV400 (a 4.2 car) weigh so much less than Nexon EV Max just due to NMC vs LFP?

Interesting to see once its on road.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th December 2023 at 16:29. Reason: Acronym
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:12   #43
BHPian

For what its worth, this popped up at me on my phone, comparing the XUV400 with the Tata Nexon:
https://www.businessinsider.in/busin...t/94095714.cms

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th October 2022 at 11:49. Reason: Expanded acronym
Old 26th September 2022, 14:48   #44
BHPian

Disappointing to know that M&M went with the NMC battery pack (that too from LG Chem which have had fire issues with the Kona besides having several other disadvantages over LFP). One would expect after having the benefit of more than a decade of experience with electric cars , plus a few EV launches already in India they would have made choices to establish them for the long term. They should also know that the Indian EV buyers is in the early adopter phase and will be a lot more decerning and well informed than their average car buyer. You can't throw a half baked product at them and expect it to succeed.
CCRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 11:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
If you plan to get your car washed from a local shop, make sure you tell them in advance to not pressure wash the underbody:

Name:  2022mahindraxuv40027.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  165.1 KB
Are these vibration dampers or some sort of protectors to prevent impact on battery ?
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed