Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview

Here's a real life acceleration clip of the Tiago EV (at 7:56)

It went from 47-72kmph in 5s, and from 60-80kmph in 5.2s. I drive the ICE Tiago and this definitely doesn't feel the least bit slower. Although I don't have the exact figures to compare it doesn't feel as sluggish as a few people have speculated, at least till 84kph.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd October 2022 at 11:26. Reason: Updating timestamp for a better clip
sravankrishnan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

The biggest drawback in the ICE Tiago was its not-so-smooth engine and with this that bit is taken care of. With single speed transmission on EVs even the jerky AMT issue is gone. Was already the safest in its segment, has features from segment or two above like cruise control, rain sensing wipers etc.

Is this the ‘perfect city hatch’ now in EV guise?

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd October 2022 at 10:42.
SoumenD is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
Here's a real life acceleration clip of the Tiago EV (at 7:56)

https://Youtu.be/LoqhFd_BtSw

It went from 47-72kmph in 5s, and from 60-80kmph in 5.2s. I drive the ICE Tiago and this definitely doesn't feel the least bit slower. Although I don't have the exact figures to compare it doesn't feel as sluggish as a few people have speculated, at least till 84kph.
This is a clickbait video. The part where acceleration is show is from the Tigor ev. If you notice the video closely the bar on the LHS side of the instrument cluster is different for Tiago ( see team bhp review) . Tiago has space for regen bar also. And this guy is harping about hill hold and hill descent and all. None of which are in the Tiago or tigor.
Nanolover is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
The part where acceleration is show is from the Tigor ev.
You're right, I mistook the battery level indicator in the Tigor for the regen level indicator in the Tiago.
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
This is a no-brainer car for me but it's difficult to convince my wife that it will not be similar to 100s of Taxis on the road. I see these being the new Indicas in Bangalore soon.
I don't believe TATA sells to the taxi market anymore.
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:47   #36
BHPian

In the Tiago.ev tvc or the video brochure below :

Tata has shown :

* Alloys
* Red Color

In the current brochure nothing is mentioned about the Alloys (instead it’s Hyper style wheel covers) & Red Color as an option.

Brochure Link :

https://tiagoev.tatamotors.com/wp-co...v-Brochure.pdf

Initially tata updated the variant wise & price chart image mentioning charger as KWh which was later corrected to Kw.

Even the Ziptron cover is missing on the Tiago.ev which is present in all its Ziptron Evs.

Let’s hope in run up to the launch things are clarified by tata.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-5d8f5ff5286e40d3aa42b612ad18d397.jpeg  

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-d5c0a6366a674e5294911bbe20782e42.jpeg  

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-fc46e689e00841cfa7fe703c4390ca27.jpeg  

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-fea41432ed5d4f89aca5fb739118f04b.jpeg  

Attached Images

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th October 2022 at 14:04. Reason: Duplicate image removed. Thank you!
XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 15:12   #37
abg

This will be a game changer for sure!

Probably the most appropriate city hatch in the market.

WFH is being stopped by many companies, and we are forced to commute daily to our offices. With most of the apartment complexes and office buildings in cities like Bangalore already having charging infra setup, this is going to be the choice of office goers.

ICE car sellers, please check your pricing!

Congratulations TATA!
abg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

A Noob question - what is the Exide battery in the engine bay for? Is it for some other function or for emergencies?

Spot on pricing for the car - a good alternative for existing city hatchback cars!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 2nd October 2022 at 16:04.
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
A Noob question - what is the Exide battery in the engine bay for? Is it for some other function or for emergencies?

Spot on pricing for the car - a good alternative for existing city hatchback cars!
All in car electrics( horn ,wiper,lights) are run from standard 12 v battery same as petrol. This is so that the wiring harness and all remain same and the same architecture is maintained. Remember , this is an IC engined car converted to electric. Also it sort of is a failsafe in case there is some problem with main battery pack , at least the essentials continue to function.
Nanolover is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:

The exide battery in the car, is present in every EV. It is used to run all the cabin related features, just like in a regular ICE car. This is to be able to run the auxiliaries without having to tap into the battery which is used for propulsion.
This Exide battery is charged directly from the main propulsion battery.

If this battery would have been removed and power for cabin auxiliaries taken directly from the propulsion battery, it would have caused issues with voltage management as the load on the propulsion batteries is variable as per demands for speed and acceleration, requiring a more robust voltage stabilization system. The Exide battery negates this requirement, by providing a stabilizing function for the same.

P.S it can obviously any brand battery, used the name Exide for easy distinction
kosjam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT_Dwarka View Post
Now I wonder, where did you get this detailed technical info from, I'm quite curious, and have never come across such depth in the public domain so soon after launch, when even drive reviews aren't out yet.
Not everything available in a single place. It needs to be gathered and deduced. I assure you everything I have posted is available in public domain.

Quote:

Are we interacting with Indian Sandy Munro?
I can only wish! I'm a manufacturing systems engineer in a small factory.

Quote:
Also, the cylindrical cells bit is highly interesting, this seems to be a departure from their earlier prismatic approach. Would you by any chance be aware of the reasons? What format are these cells?
TATA uses 32 x 135 mm cylindrical cells. IFR32135-15Ah series from Gotion High Tech limited. I'm not aware about the prismatic packs used by TATA [I started following this very recently.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
my impression is that in real world the torque generated by the PMSM motor diminishes beyond a certain rpm and even the product of the torque and rpm starts flattening out and gradually starts going down. Under such circumstance, the vehicle may find it harder to overcome the friction and wind resistance at higher speeds. Hence my curiosity.
Why do you think that the constant power/ torque dropping region occurs during the highway speeds? The gear ratios may be chosen that the Constant power region occurs after 120kmph. We don't know it yet! Lets not conclude that until we have data.

actually to get the PMSM motor to operate in the constant power region you need to have FOC control in the motor controller. Controller needs to reduce the field generated by the rotor magnets to control the back EMF generated to avoid the inverter voltage saturation.

This mode of operation is less efficient than the constant torque region operation and needs electronic protection circuitry incase case loss of field control current which generate massive back EMF and fry the Controller. To be frank, I'm not even sure TATA has implemented the FOC control in the Tiago EV! we need to wait to make conclusion once we have enough data.

So constant torque region and constant power operation depends upon the motor construction, thermal/cooling performance and inverter sizing etc.

Quote:
So as per my impression a higher powered motor running at lower rpm is better than a lower powered motor at higher rpm.
Actually it is the opposite. Higher torque means higher peak currents. This means thicker conductors, high current handling electronics and higher I^2R losses and fundamentally less electrical efficiency.

mechanically high torque means low RPM, larger motor size, large and heavy gears to withstand higher torque. Higher rotating mass which blunts performance etc. whole systems becomes heavy and less efficient

There is a reason the Latest gen EVs are moving to 800V Architecture with screaming high RPM motors even though you need to have expensive boost converters to charge from household AC lines.

Quote:

1. What's the top rpm of a motor with characteristics similar to the one in Tiago?

2. Is there any reference graph of the torque vs speed for the motor in question, something similar to the second graph that I had put for Tesla where it appeared that the torque rapidly dropped after 40 mph?

In a nutshell, back to the same question, will this car be able to overtake vehicles on highway say at 80-90 kmph comfortably or will it struggle?
1. I'm not sure! I don't have any information on this yet. I calculated the base speed RPM assuming TATA uses the standard rating in the brochure not some marketing trickery.

2. Tesla Model S P85 uses Induction motor which needs "slips" to operate. The curve you attached is not of PMSM motor. and I don't have any curves with me. Just like you I also want to see it!

3. We don't know yet! we need to Test drive the car and find out!

Quote:
While others have given you answers, I will answer in a slightly different tangent.

Using 12V system for ancillaries allows economy of scale to reduce the cost and no need to do expensive R&D and Certification for high voltage components.

Why reinvent the wheel when you have sea of 12v standard parts to choose from? Just throw in a 12V battery and you are good to go!

Even Tesla which never made an ICE car still uses 12v system just like TATA.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd October 2022 at 20:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
SatheeshBHP is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Does the Tiago EV get low rolling resistance tyres compared to its ICE counterpart? Also, I find it rather unusual to have halogen bulbs on an EV and not energy efficient LEDs inside out
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Does the Tiago EV get low rolling resistance tyres compared to its ICE counterpart? Also, I find it rather unusual to have halogen bulbs on an EV and not energy efficient LEDs inside out
Yes willl get the same ev specific low roling resistance Apollo tyres as in tigor ev. Tigor gets full led taillight though and one important change in the Tigor is the reverse light for tigor ev is also led compared to halogen one in the petrol tigor.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:55   #44
BHPian

Bringing this info of mine here for any of our members who are interested to know tigor performance and ownership experience.

Having had the Tigor EV for a month now, I can confirm on the fact that it is the ideal size for city use, the Tiago will definitely be better than that. Also, the electric motor in one full sweep, removes the worst part of the Tiago/ Tigor - its underpowered, inefficient and noisy petrol engine and gearbox ( can vouch for this having owned both petrol Tigor and Tiago amt).

Now you can really get to enjoy the smooth gliding experience, no gearchanges ( the throttle is extremely well calibrated). In fact for city driving, i feel it even beats the best automatics since there are no gears at all, just glides along. Plus sport mode is really fun !

Extras added
- Elegant cord 2D mats
- Frameless wipers
- Steering wrap
- Hella Chrome trumpet horns

MISSING ITEMS
- Second remote keyless key. Reason cited is chip shortage. NO COMMUNICATION/ASSURANCE as to when/ IF I will ever receive the key

Now, inevitably being a Tata, worse followed by the bad and the good

SAFETY HAZARDS:

- Simple things like push/ pull windshield wash/ wipe. The wiper activates a long time AFTER the water is sprayed, leaving you blind and almost thinking the control is broken ! This is a safety hazard on highways and the problem WAS NOT PRESENT IN MY EARLIER TIGOR !
- Keyless entry sensor is useless sometimes, as it needs truck like force to engage and half the time, I end up locking with the remote key. Worst part is, if it doesn't lock it activates the horn 8 times and creates quite a racket for passers by ( made even worse by the fact that I have upgraded the stock horns to Hella Chrome trumpets)
- No Park mode meaning you have to be vigilant and engage the handbrake every time to get out. Always in the back of your mind as to whether you accidentally forgot to engage the parking brake. MUST convey this to any parking valet if you hand over the car to them, which I don't obviously as never trust valets
- Rear door design as it protrudes out a long way and you should be careful to move your kids out of the way before opening the rear door, else it will be a straight hit on their head
- Again, on the subject of head, DON'T hit your head on the trunk latch when taking out the charger. It really gives a solid whack!

The Negatives

- There is a creaking sound from the boot area when going on rough roads ( sprayed WD40 on the boot hinges but no effect)
- An irritating rattle from the driver's side seat belt area ( need to take it to the service center, which I always loathe)
- Auto ac needs constant adjustment to keep the temperature you need ( on hot days you need to lower it by 1 degree every 30 mins, worst is you don't know what temperature you are in as the display is hidden in the touchscreen
- Stiff ride on the super potholed roads of Trivandrum. The solution is to slow down to a crawl and then its typical tata cushy cushy
- Hopeless rubber beadings and fit and finish in some areas which really dont do justice for a 14 lakh plus car
- Rollback on steep slopes, unless you are really quick with the accelerator or use the handbrake
- Losses 2 to 3 psi tire pressure every 2 weeks ( on account of the weight and road pounding perhaps)
-Z-connect App not working. Have raised complaint with Tata Motors helpline and SLA is 2 to 3 working days for resolution

Now the POSITIVES-

- Silent powertrain lets you really enjoy the solid build of the car. Feels like you really are driving around in a safe
- Compact size and maneuverability
- Range:

Have covered close to 600 kms now with the car. Now I have never driven in an eco friendly manner. My go fast mode ( With Ac set at 24 degree all the time, 10 times use of S mode and a 60 km run on the by pass plus rest in city), you can expect a range of 130 kms . Mind you this is the worst and the battery charge was 100 to 18 % before i plugged it again.

In sensible mode, with ac on and reasonably swift progress you can get 170 kms in the city ( 100 to 20% drop). Didn't go below 20 % much as car has to run 60 kms plus a day and don't want to be stranded
- My driver who with his gentle Zen like driving can squeeze 200kms ( 100 to 20%) with ac ( 80% drive is on the highway)

OTHER POINTS:
- Don't expect royal dealership treatment ( at least in my case) when you go to buy this car. The experience I had was just like buying an autorickshaw. Remember, product only counts. Only plus with the dealer is they don't push for accessories or insurance ( unlike Maruti).Yet to receive refund of 13 K even after a month of delivery ( delay reason have been a to z and now its aa, ab reasons). Brother also yet to get his booking refund of 5k for the Nexon after 1.5 months
- Didn't consider Nexon as it is impossible for my kids and mother ( knee and joint issues) to climb into the back seat past the extra wide rear door sills and also the height
- The charger installation is neat and the whole product looks sturdy and well engineered
- The radiator fan does a 5 second run every time you open any of the doors/ trunk. You have to learn to live with it. Maybe part of pre-diagnostic checks
- Getting the long charger cable back into its pouch calls for some huff puff ( especially for OCD type people like me who just don't want to throw it in the boot). And 9/10 times you will end up banging your head on the trunk latch while doing so
- Don't know if its my case, but some folks just don't like them being overtaken ( especially in S mode where you blitz past them) by an EV. They honk and try aggressive overtakes to prove that their cars are obviously superior to my milk float !

CONCLUSION:
-Since its a new technology and in fact a new experience for the family in the EV space, we are keeping the Celerio also as back up for 6 to 12 months till the transition to EV is smooth and understandable. ( will be changing over to Tiago EV after that)
-Its a zero stress car to drive in the city with smooth controls, very light steering and good maneuverability plus the safety feel.
- Will whole heartedly recommend Tiago/ Tigor to anyone as a SECOND car with planned running < 200 kms in city/ highway limits.
Nanolover is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Bringing this info of mine here for any of our members who are interested to know tigor performance and ownership experience.
I was going through your post on the Tigor thread just the other day and read about your experience with Trivandrum Motors. What is your opinion of Derik Motors and did you consider them during purchase evaluation?

I am thinking of booking Tiago EV but totally confused regarding which battery variant to choose - 19 or 24kwh? The claimed range for the 19kwh model is enough for city but worried about range drop as it gets older.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks