Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2022, 08:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
As for range, this is the current status in full ac and normal reasonably swift driving with s mode usage. (135 kms covered with 28% battery remaining).Please note the tyre pressure for this period was 30 in the front and 33 in the back. Got it pumped to recommend specs just now ( 33 front and instead of 38 ,i keep 37 rear). So that would have some effect also on range.
Based on this it appears that you have been driving on the s mode (is that the sport mode?) and you are calling that reasonably swift. Just curious, how is the driving experience in the standard (eco) mode ?

Also, how is the experience at recommended pressure on typical (patchy) roads?
Old 4th October 2022, 08:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
So how does one safely park an EV on a steep incline (like San Francisco downtown's famous steep incline streets)?
My experience is based on my dzire ags which also doesn't have a parking gear (experts, please comment if its different). What I do is always put the car in D and pull the handbrake before exiting the vehicle. It's become 2nd nature to me. Even if it's in N with handbrake, I've found it holds well on an incline (tested on Simla's steep slopes very recently by the valet ). Since I assume it's the same, I'm comfortable with this and wasn't a deal breaker for me in booking the Tiago ev.
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 09:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyl87 View Post
My experience is based on my dzire ags which also doesn't have a parking gear (experts, please comment if its different). What I do is always put the car in D and pull the handbrake before exiting the vehicle. It's become 2nd nature to me. Even if it's in N with handbrake, I've found it holds well on an incline (tested on Simla's steep slopes very recently by the valet ). Since I assume it's the same, I'm comfortable with this and wasn't a deal breaker for me in booking the Tiago ev.
Parking in D (in the absence of a P gear) may work for automatics bcoz their transmission is always driving the wheels, I believe. Similar to the 1st gear of manual tranny cars (I have a manual tranny car, I always park in 1st gear, regardless of whether level ground or incline).

But EV's have a different mechanism I thought. They're not "always on" in that sense, hence wondering how the "parking" mechanism is and whats the BKM.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 11:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Based on this it appears that you have been driving on the s mode (is that the sport mode?) and you are calling that reasonably swift. Just curious, how is the driving experience in the standard (eco) mode ?

Also, how is the experience at recommended pressure on typical (patchy) roads?
I suggest you do a test drive to understand better. One man's sufficient performance might not be the same for another one. So a test drive should clear those aspects. S mode is used mainly by me on Highway for instant overtakes. Rest all time is in standard drive mode.

Ride feels a bit stiff at low speeds though better than the Tigor petrol that rides on 15 inch wheels. However don't expect limousine soft ride like Manza etc due to stiff sidewalls of eco tyres and the weight of the battery pack. All said and done it is a small sedan so can't expect miracles in the ride quality department. Acceptable and comfortable is what I can say.
Nanolover is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 13:45   #65
BHPian

Just had a call with Autovikas(dealer) here and he said they are expecting TD cars only around end of December. Is that normal? Thks will be a long wait
Old 4th October 2022, 14:29   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyl87 View Post
Just had a call with Autovikas(dealer) here and he said they are expecting TD cars only around end of December. Is that normal? Thks will be a long wait
Yup. Even deliveries are starting from January end 2023 only. I think there will be a huge order backlog.
Old 4th October 2022, 15:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
I suggest you do a test drive to understand better. One man's sufficient performance might not be the same for another one.
I agree that a test drive is indeed needed, but feedback from owners is quite precious. Sometimes, test drive may not cover all use cases, and the tyre pressure may be managed to give a certain experience.
Old 4th October 2022, 17:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I agree that a test drive is indeed needed, but feedback from owners is quite precious.
Yes sir , to your query, the performace in D mode is adequate for city drives and even for steady speed cruising on the highway and should be the default mode if range is your priority. If occasional bursts of ev power is needed for fun or for overtaking in small gaps ( 2 lane highways) then need S mode.

I wish the regen mode was switchable ( heard tigor owners will be getting it as part of the update) since on highways the moment you lift off the accelerator, the car goes into regen and starts slowing down. So you have to always be on throttle.

Performace to summarise is adequate. If more sporty drive is needed, then definitely the Nexon ev is the better choice.

Last edited by Nanolover : 4th October 2022 at 17:58.
Nanolover is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 00:27   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
So there's nothing like a *park* mode or a *parking* gear for EVs? So how does one safely park an EV on a steep incline (like San Francisco downtown's famous steep incline streets)?

The hand brake of any car is not strong at all, it's a well known fact.
Yes unfortunately the parking brake is the only recourse as there in no P option in the non MAX TATA EVs.

While the hand brake has worked well, if there is need of extra confidence then the old way of putting a brick or stone behind the tyre, would be the only other option

Cheers
Old 5th October 2022, 16:04   #70
BHPian

Got a call from TaMo rep against my expression of interest in Tiago on their website.

Not much new information:
booking on website from 10-oct at 21k
Test drives will be available in December
Delivery to start from January
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 16:44   #71
BHPian

I love the Tiago in its ICE form and now the EV is the powertrain I would pick!
As some others have mentioned, torque from electric motors is available as a wide band and there's no gearing, so the 114Nm seems plenty.

As an owner of the Ather 450X (I know it's a scooter), I can easily keep up with my friends on their REs in the city (as long as they're under 60kmph )!
What I've noticed is that torque in EVs, feels much different & sprightly compared to ICE, from a non-technical point of view as well.
rishil.ghurki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_goel View Post
Okay, a noob question.
I stay in an apartment complex in BLR, where there is no provision for EV charging, and let's say that it is something that is not going to get done anytime soon.
Pressurize and convince your apartment association to install common chargers. There is no other way. If they do not do it now, they any way have to do it later.

There are many players who will do the complete installation for free without any cost to the association. ElectricPe is one of them. We went with them.
fordday is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:41   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_goel View Post
Okay, a noob question.
I stay in an apartment complex in BLR, where there is no provision for EV charging, and let's say that it is something that is not going to get done anytime soon.

I do have a public charging option in ~5-10KM vicinity. Does it make sense to go for an EV? Based on my usage (primarily city driving not exceeding 50 KM per day), does it make a compelling case? also, EV (hopefully Tiago/ Tigor) will be a city beater. I have another ICE car for highway runs.
They should allow you to draw a connection from your own power connection (after the meter) to your parking slot. The free installation includes a certain length of wire, you may just have to pay for the additional length of the wire, which should only be a few thousand rupees. This would be the best until the apartment can come up with a common charging solution.

It is not advisable to use fast charging at public charger all the time, and it will not be feasible to slow charge in a public place. EVs need a slow charger at home or at least at work.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

So the wait begins :-) I booked the Tiago.ev yesterday (Oct5) with Derik. Tropical Mist XT 24kwh. After being confused with battery size I decided to go with 24kwh because it will be able to comfortably do the Tvm - Cochin, if i have to, on a single charge.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 12:24   #75
BHPian

So it looks like dealers already accepting booking before Oct 10th.
I am looking to replace my 15 year old Santro AT with Tiago EV. I am little worried about bad stories related to TaMo dealers, hence want to know in Bangalore south which TaMO dealer is best one to deal with? TIA!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks