Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 12:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Tesla cars to lose out on park assist, summon & few other features temporarily

According to media reports, Tesla has announced that it will be moving away from ultrasonic sensors, mainly used for short-range detection to help with collision warnings and parking. Instead, the company will transition to its camera-only "Tesla Vision" tech in the future.

New Tesla cars to lose out on park assist, summon & few other features temporarily-teslamodel3-1.jpg

The EV maker is said to stop installing the ultrasonic sensors on its Model 3 and Model Y in the coming months, while the Model S and Model X will lose out on the sensors sometime in 2023. The functions of the ultrasonic sensors will be taken up by the Tesla Vision tech, which is currently in its Beta phase of testing.

As a result, new Tesla vehicles without ultrasonic sensors will temporarily miss out on features like park assist, Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon. However, once the new tech achieves parity with today's vehicles, the missing autopilot features will be added back via over-the-air updates.

Originally, the autopilot sensors consisted of eight cameras, a front-facing radar and several other ultrasonic sensors all around, required to help achieve full self-driving capabilities. However, the new Tesla Vision tech removes all the ultrasonic sensors and the front radar and uses only the cameras for its autopilot system. Reports state that Tesla believes its vision-based system with artificial neural nets would better replicate human driving without having to pollute the system with radar data.

Source: Electrek

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Tesla cars to lose out on park assist, summon & few other features temporarily

Cost cutting measures after their stock prices tanked I guess. Even with the whole sensor and radar arrays, their cars have sometimes messed up and gotten into serious accidents. I wonder if they will even offer a discount since their new cars are now inferior to the old ones until this new update becomes available.
Old 6th October 2022, 16:38   #3
S2K
BHPian

Re: New Tesla cars to lose out on park assist, summon & few other features temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Reports state that Tesla believes its vision-based system with artificial neural nets would better replicate human driving without having to pollute the system with radar data.
Shouldn't the whole idea with autonomous driving cars be to have better driving and handling capabilities than humans? Replicating human driving would only lead to more issues than solving given the fact that computer programs with such goals tend to perform worse than humans in general.
S2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 09:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend had got a 2023 Model Y and was complaining that the parking sensors weren't working properly. I was surprised. These are pretty basic things that work well in modern cars. I now realize that the Vision Assist without ultrasonic parking sensors could be causing the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Reports state that Tesla believes its vision-based system with artificial neural nets would better replicate human driving without having to pollute the system with radar data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Cost cutting measures after their stock prices tanked I guess. Even with the whole sensor and radar arrays, their cars have sometimes messed up and gotten into serious accidents. I wonder if they will even offer a discount since their new cars are now inferior to the old ones until this new update becomes available.
Yes another example of Tesla releasing software in the wild without enough testing to prove their "theories" and "beliefs". Cars equipped with Vision Assist but NO ultrasonic parking sensors perform worse than older Teslas that had both.

It is unfortunate but not surprising.

Forbes article:https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoe...h=63f6158a6fc6

Example:
“My Model Y with USS [ultrasonic sensors] was totaled and fortunately I was able to get a ‘23 Model Y as a replacement without USS,” a Reddit user recently posted. “I am remarkably impressed how bad park assist it is. 1) takes significant amount of time to load 2) it is exceptionally inaccurate 3) system is randomly too conservative or too aggressive, i.e, can’t map out the surrounding correctly.”
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks