Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2022, 13:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Electric cars re-ignite a full week after flood damage

According to media reports, the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in Florida, USA, last week still seem to be mounting. Amongst the widespread destruction, EVs are now starting to spontaneously explode into flames all around the state. These latent fires are attributed to the mixture of electricity and salt water.

Reports suggest, no large lithium-ion battery pack is designed for long-term submersion in salt water. This, along with lithium's inherent volatility, makes dousing an EV fire an arduous process. Even when the flames are completely extinguished and the batteries are doused with water and foam, the fire can still re-ignite itself.

Electric cars re-ignite a full week after flood damage-newsnationscreengrab.png

The reason for the fire is that saltwater corrodes the wires and the battery components, causing exposed wiring or a short, which even with a small spark could turn into a raging fire. This eventually results in a thermal runaway igniting the entire battery pack. Some departments quarantine EVs for 24 hours or submerge them in fresh water to stop re-ignition.

Reports state that while the problem could happen on almost all EVs, the focus has been on Tesla only because of their sheer number of sales compared to other EV brands.

Jimmy Patronis, a Florida State Fire Marshall, shared a letter on Twitter, calling flood-affected cars "ticking time bombs" in the caption. The letter asks federal regulators to share information about the risk posed by EVs in floods to first and second responders, while also asking if the EV companies are communicating these potential dangers to their customers.

Source: Road&Track / News Nation

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 19th October 2022 at 13:10.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Electric cars re-ignite a full week after flood damage

In the area where I live in Kolkata, severe rains always result in some temporary flooding.
This is what prompted me not to book OLA S1 Pro despite my wife's insistence as this is what I was paranoid about, that I can't drive it in water unlike ICE Scooters and the scooter might have issues once it's drenched in flood waters.
EVs have a long way to go as flood water isn't the plain water in which the components are tested and ratified for IP67. The sewage and toxins from the drain mixed with the rain water is bound to screw the batteries up.
I doubt if the Motor Vehicle Insurance companies will take care of that and it will be definitely total loss.
HooghlyBoy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 15:04   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After having one of my cars damaged in the floods (Sunny), I have realised that water is very, very stubborn. It will reach places in a car which are impossible for human hands, and also areas that take way too long to dry. I've parked the Sunny under the sun for days together, yet when the mechanic opened her up, there was water accumulation in some crevices.

Quite scary what that can do to an electronic device, which is what an EV essentially is.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 15:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had this query for long - the survival of EVs after submersion in flood water. No one had a clear answer but only quoted ratings.

IP67 (Nexon ev) or IP69k (MG ZS) rating talk about occasional water splash or high pressure water spray or at best, submersion for a couple of minutes under few metres of water. A natural flood condition is far more extensive and worse.

Under similar conditions, unlike an EV, an ICE vehicle gives a clear indication of failure - it stutters or simply refuses to start. An EV exploding into flames weeks or months after exposure to water is scary to say the least.

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th October 2022 at 15:52.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 16:30   #5
BHPian

EV's, in my understanding, are water-resistant and not waterproof.

Additionally, EV's real-world on-road timeline is still not matured enough to understand the real-time, factual, and practical PROS and CONS. EV technology is still in its nascent stages. Who knows, probably in another 10 years, the current battery technology may become obsolete.

Can someone clarify the below?
1. What will happen, if an EV meets with a bad accident? How safe it is that it will not explore or fire? The chances of an ICE vehicle exploding or catching fire is very minimal.
2. Natural calamities like floods, heavy rain, and storms are common in India - what will happen to the EV if it is submerged? (Similar to what happened in the US now).
3. Can the battery cooling technology fail/malfunction in an EV? What will happen then? In an ICE car, if there is a problem with the cooling system, the engine won't start or there will be a warning at least. In the worst-case scenario, the engine can only seize and not explode/catch fire.
4. How will EV recycling - battery recycling be done? https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63245150
If this is the current situation, will EVs not make it worse? What do we do then? Are EVs really a viable and right option?

And many more..... I strongly believe that currently, globally, people buy EVs only for 2 reasons - low fuel and low maintenance costs. Of course, some additional lifestyle mindsets like no/low noise, etc.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 16:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

This has to do with salt water, not normal rain water flooding. Tesla itself states you can drive in flood water for few minutes. Tata and Mahindra showed water wading capabilities, where the battery pack is completely under water, Ather used to proudly exhibit battery pack under water in their experience centres.

I guess (as reported) this has to do with more rusting, needs some investigation to avoid such scenarios.
SKC-auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 17:34   #7
BHPian

The current fire issue is due to salt water corroding the casings, wires etc. Even normal ICE vehicle would be unusable once submerged. While EVs can cope up with normal rain water, very long submerged time might create issues.
These two are different scenarios imho, while submerged for few hours, EVs might be ok, but for longer duration in corrosive environment, it might create issues.

Manufacturers should probably do full testing of battery and bms of submerged vehicle.
ritesh_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 20:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
Even normal ICE vehicle would be unusable once submerged.
Not true. If the ICE vehicle's engine was not hydrolocked, it could be as simple as cleaning everything up, replacing all fluids and starting the car.

I know of a couple of cars fully submerged by flood waters during 2015 Chennai floods (water above roofline) and they are still running today

Best Regards
Games Goblin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 08:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Tesla itself states you can drive in flood water for few minutes. Tata and Mahindra showed water wading capabilities, where the battery pack is completely under water, Ather used to proudly exhibit battery pack under water in their experience centres.
Urban flooding situations have been far worse. One might have to wade longer stretches or could be caught off guard in severely flooded underpass and abandon car. Car could be completely under 10-20 ft water in the basement. What happens next?

In an EV, two major questions:
1. By looking at the car, how do I know for sure the battery was not impacted?
2. Given we know about thermal runaway, how do I control the fire if and when it happens in a crowded or enclosed parking area?

In an ICE car, you flush everything out, dry the components, replace few electronics if required, run the risk of some rusting or worst, declare it total loss and move on.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 11:02   #10
BANNED

I was all gung-ho for the new strong-hybrid car tech but now I worry that a simple water crossing (not major flooding) can cause hidden damage with potentially catastrophic consequences. What if one has children or pets in the parked car and you step away? The spontaneous combustion is scary as hell! At least an ICE car if totally flooded is plain dead and not drivable but anything with lithium batteries can fool you with minor damage that makes the car look useable but unsafe.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed