Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Tesla EVs coming soon; To be smaller & more affordable than the Model 3

According to media reports, Tesla is said to be working on its "next-generation vehicle".

Speaking at the company's Q3 earnings call, Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, is said to have mentioned that the next generation of offerings from the company will be smaller & significantly cheaper than the Model 3 & Model Y currently on sale.

Next-gen Tesla EVs coming soon; To be smaller & more affordable than the Model 3-teslamodel3.jpg

Reports suggest the new models will be underpinned by a brand-new EV architecture. This new platform, combined with the reduced production cost, could translate to a lower cost for the customers as well. Tesla is aiming to introduce new EVs at 50% of the cost of the current Model 3. This means that the next-generation Tesla EV could have a starting price in the range of US$ 25,000 - $30,000.

Elon Musk even stated that with the engineering for the Cybertrucks & Semi now complete, the vehicle development team will now focus primarily on the next-gen vehicles. It will take its learnings from Model 3, S, X & Y, which should help it achieve its price target.

In addition, Musk also stated that the new platform aims to produce more volumes than "all of Tesla's vehicles combined".

Source: Electrek

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 21st October 2022 at 15:46.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-gen Tesla EVs coming soon; To be smaller & more affordable than the Model 3

Even as a big fan of the man, I'll take whatever Elon says with a pinch of salt. He's got a history of it, including claims of the Cybertruck coming in 2021 or that hallowed $30,000 Model 3 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
This means that the next-generation Tesla EV could have a starting price in the range of US$ 25,000 - $30,000.
Not to forget, inflation will ensure we never see a $25,000 Tesla.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-gen Tesla EVs coming soon; To be smaller & more affordable than the Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even as a big fan of the man, I'll take whatever Elon says with a pinch of salt. He's got a history of it, including claims of the Cybertruck coming in 2021 or that hallowed $30,000 Model 3 .
Yes, considering it is a Tesla, takes a couple of years to move from idea to concept, and to production, and then another couple of years of post-launch fine-tuning.

With mainstream manufacturers catching up fast (in the EV space), the only key advantage I see with Tesla is their charging infrastructure.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
With mainstream manufacturers catching up fast (in the EV space), the only key advantage I see with Tesla is their charging infrastructure.
I heard this Nth time, yet when I look at the sales figures there is no other company coming close to Tesla, not even in the year 2025.
SKC-auto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:30   #5
BHPian

Not sure what exactly is the point. Tesla has earned its name as a relatively premium brand, so a cheaper model would basically end up like Tesla's version of the A-class. Also, given the poor interior quality of the model 3, I shudder to think how a cheaper version would look!

Moreover, other companies already have a head-start here!
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed