Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 14:37   #1
BANNED

Tata Motors rolls out 50,000th EV

Amazing achievement by Tata Motors, to roll out 50k EV in little over two years and with a pandemic even!
Looking forward to the next 50k EV in half the time it took for them to deliver the first 50k.

Source: https://twitter.com/Tatamotorsev/sta...20902764789760

Tata Motors rolls out 50,000th EV-fg8cm7rvqaescwt.jpg

Last edited by DarthVeda : 7th November 2022 at 14:39.
DarthVeda is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 15:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors rolls out 50,000th EV

Would really like to know the story behind it all.

With so many global players in the market, how an Indian OEM managed to sell 50,000 electric vehicles.

Mahindra bought Reva in 2010, they are nowhere in the market today. Someone, somewhere in the Mahindra world, made some wrong decisions, thats for sure.

I have heard other OEMs belittling the EV market, that it is still in a nascent stage, that the monthly sales percentage share is miniscule, that there is still time for the segment to mature.

All that talk, and then we see that Tata Motors just sold an additional 50,000 vehicles by making the right decisions, at the right time.

Yes, there will be more players joining in. There might be another segment leader, sooner or later. They will catch up.

But, we will have to give it to Tata Motors for taking that first step, making EVs a common sight on Indian roads, and make the other OEMs notice.

I will use my allotted emojis wisely.

Two thumbs up, Tata Motors!
ashutoshb is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 15:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

FY 2021 3805 Nexon EVs sold
FY 2022 13879 Nexon EVs sold

Total of 17684 Nexon EVs sold, estimating sales in current FY with still 4 months left is 50000 - 17684 = 32316, they will reach 50K total sales only in FY23.

I believe Tiago will see similar growth.
SKC-auto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
FY 2021 3805 Nexon EVs sold
FY 2022 13879 Nexon EVs sold

Total of 17684 Nexon EVs sold, estimating sales in current FY with still 4 months left is 50000 - 17684 = 32316, they will reach 50K total sales only in FY23.

I believe Tiago will see similar growth.

You are missing the count of Tigor EV's sold . THey supplied a lot of the initial 10,000 that were ordered by EESL. Then quite a few Xpres-T's as well.

So 17XXX Nexon EV;s,
15XXX - Xpress T's
15XXX - Tigor EV's and you are close to the 50,000 figure.

It says 50000 EV.s not 50,000 Nexon EV's

Last edited by torquecurve : 7th November 2022 at 19:16.
torquecurve is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Would really like to know the story behind it all.

With so many global players in the market, how an Indian OEM managed to sell 50,000 electric vehicles.

Mahindra bought Reva in 2010, they are nowhere in the market today. Someone, somewhere in the Mahindra world, made some wrong decisions, thats for sure.
A very good documentary on TATA EV's.

jeepster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:23   #6
BHPian

Though I'm happy to see the 50,000th TATA EV rolling out, I'm appalled by the lack of interest from general public towards EV cars.

The main reason I see is the delusion of 'Range Anxiety'. I even see many members of our forum are fence sitters than embracing the future way forward. Coming to the range I would say a practical range of 300KM is optimal. Because, with a practical range of 300KM one drives crazily, we can expect at least 200KM range which is more than enough for 80% of car owners. Just go back and see how many days you have traveled more than 200KM within the city in a single day? There may be some outliers like during marriages or some functions or some other needs..but we have a growing super charger network at least in cities.

Also, the Range is directly proportional to Battery Capacity which is in turn directly proportional to the cost. What is the use of a car with 400+ KM range when 90% of the days it sees only < 200KM a day? Thus, in order to keep the cost, weight (and there by range) under control I said a practical range of 300KM is sufficient.

And now coming to the electricity part, people aren't realizing that we aren't in pre-2010 era and most of the cities are getting near 24 hour power. Again there may be some outliers here & there but we are slowly and definitely improving. Now the so called naysayers who claim that electricity is generated from coal, again we are slowly moving away from it and adding hydro, Solar & nuclear energies. Even when compared with Thermal Power stations and an IC engine, we need to consider efficiency. Anyway we had lengthy and detailed discussions in this very forum.

All my worry is to ensure that our country spends the minimum on petroleum dollars. In fact by using Petrol/Diesel vehicles, we are the ones funding the Desert Dreams (The line) and Football tournaments (Human Rights - what's that?). India has many other places to fund rather these. As a country we have a very long way to go and reducing the oil expenditure is very essential.

Let's embrace the BEV revolution with an open mind.

Kudos to TATA in achieving this and wishing them all the best in reaching the 1,00,000th vehicle pretty soon with Tiago.EV & Other new upcoming EVs.

Last edited by G V Krishna : 7th November 2022 at 22:26.
G V Krishna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
Though I'm happy to see the 50,000th TATA EV rolling out, I'm appalled by the lack of interest from general public towards EV cars.
Sir, don't take all the concerns from our members at face value. Every single EV has a lengthy booking period now and Indians have always been ready to adopt new technology for cost savings more than anything else.

India is currently at the start of the EV boom and there is no turning back. Companies like Tata are making large investments because they see the amount of demand in the market.

The low taxes are providing a great incentive for early adopters like us to take the leap. Once everyone has a friend or two using an EV, the mainstream crowd will definitely jump in.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of EV taxis like Blusmart. I believe they will be one of the biggest reasons for people to adopt EVs once they experience the bliss of traveling in one.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Also, don't underestimate the impact of EV taxis like Blusmart. I believe they will be one of the biggest reasons for people to adopt EVs once they experience the bliss of traveling in one.
Exactly..imagine most of the airport taxis in metros are electric vehicles. There itself we can save 10000 liters of petrol/diesel in a single day (looking at you BLR & HYD Airports) all over the country. A fast charging station at every airport taxi hub would ensure full and fast charging. There are multiple successful use-cases like these. Now people should lap them up and then the Industry should up the number of cars rolled out.
G V Krishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 23:26   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Tata can sell 10k EV a month but they can't due to supply chain issues for that scale of sales.

Electric motors like the one found in 2019 Tigor, Xpress T and the Tata Ace EV all have Induction motors, which just has aluminium, iron, copper, paper, varnish as BOM. These type of motor manufacturers are abundant in India and the supply chain is in India itself and is quite huge.

But when you take the Nexon EV, this one has a PMSM motor and there is very limited manufacturers of this kind of motor in India and the raw materials for this like rare earth magnet have to be imported. I wouldn't be suprised if the rotor assembly is directly imported, with only the stator made in India or both coming as SKD.

Just to give you an example, the Nexon EV motor costs around Rs 4 lakh vs the Tigor EV motor which costs around Rs 95k both prices are taken from boodmo spares.

The Inverter units or the motor controller are also imported or assembled in India (not made in India). Semiconductor production in India is in nacent stage, I hope EV will help transition this effort.

Then there is the battery, there is zero manufacturers of cells in India. Even by the end of this decade when one or two start making cells in India, the battery price will not fall, infact I wouldn't be suprised if it costs more then cells imported from China. Because their scale of manufacturing and procurement at raw material stage cannot be matched by any other country.

So when the local battery manufacturers start making cells, they will lobby the government to put high import duties on cells imported from China and South Korea.

The same thing happened in solar cells because Indian manufacturers cannot compete in prices, the government raised the import duties this year on solar cells and the prices jumped. Due to this the solar panel prices now cost the same as it was 5 years back.

So those who are waiting or hoping battery prices to fall once its made in India, thing again. Also don't forget inflation will make sure every component needed to make a EV will go high.

The best time to buy EV is now due to low taxes.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2022 at 18:03. Reason: As requested
aim120 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 01:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Appalled, really? Bemused, I'd understand, but definitely not something that should cause you disgust. Now, this isn't supposed to be an affront to your view, I'm just trying to present you an alternative view for why one (or many) might not be jumping on the EV hype train.

I'm not jumping on it anytime soon and will buy an ICE car as long as they're on sale, regardless of budget considerations wrt an EV.
Quote:
The main reason I see is the delusion of 'Range Anxiety'. I even see many members of our forum are fence sitters than embracing the future way forward. Coming to the range I would say a practical range of 300KM is optimal.
Only if you're a city dweller or live in the metros and only go out for vacations. People around the country need to travel for simple things, like I have to travel ~250km up down in a day often, even for medical checkups and stuff like that. Cars as city transport have a limited future given how crowded India is, public transport is the only sustainable option for commuting.

The recharge times concern is oft repeated but even as an "environmental friendly" option, EVs aren't there yet in India. When you're able to recharge your EVs entirely with solar/wind/nuclear, yes there will be a solid argument for that but batteries, battery replacement and mining elements for them is going to be a big problem. India's renewable energy share target for 2030 is 50%. ICE cars, for now, have more longevity and it's probably better for the environment to keep driving the car you've already bought a few years ago than going and changing it for an EV. A well maintained NA car from any of the Japanese OEMs can last you 20-25 years.

A mechanical breakdown is also easier to fix in most parts of the country for someone who doesn't live around the "developed" pockets. EVs may in general be more reliable than ICE cars, but the latter are more fixable around the country. For people who work in the public sector, remote location postings are normal and even buying something like VW can be "overly techy", let alone an EV.

Quote:
All my worry is to ensure that our country spends the minimum on petroleum dollars. In fact by using Petrol/Diesel vehicles, we are the ones funding the Desert Dreams (The line) and Football tournaments (Human Rights - what's that?). India has many other places to fund rather these. As a country we have a very long way to go and reducing the oil expenditure is very essential.
And EVs will be largely funding the Chinese government, arguably our biggest geopolitical enemy right now. There's no "ideal" option if you want to go ethical, I suppose. The best option for that is, as mentioned, public transport.

Now, I'd like to re-iterate that this isn't supposed to be a contentious response, I was a little taken aback by the "appalled" because I find it perfectly reasonable to stick to ICE cars for the time being. Of course my mind is open to being changed with newer inventions in battery tech. But as things stand right now, I'm going to give it a hard pass.

There's also a personal apprehension I have with respect to EVs and that's from the point of view of Right to repair and the potential of "gadget-ying" the cars with the BEV revolution, turning them into things only the OEM can open and repair. Tesla has definitely shown us that that's a legit worry. I don't trust the Germans with it either. People have become more obsessed with the tech aspect of cars than their primary function! Not that that's a bad thing on its own, but it can bum out a petrolhead who enjoys driving that the driving experience itself is taking a back seat.

There's valid reasons to be excited for the new developments in the EV space and I'm always happy about new launches and am very keen on the advancements being made. However, there are also reasons for being reservations.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 11:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
The recharge times concern is oft repeated but even as an "environmental friendly" option, EVs aren't there yet in India. When you're able to recharge your EVs entirely with solar/wind/nuclear, yes there will be a solid argument for that but batteries, battery replacement and mining elements for them is going to be a big problem. India's renewable energy share target for 2030 is 50%. ICE cars, for now, have more longevity and it's probably better for the environment to keep driving the car you've already bought a few years ago than going and changing it for an EV. A well maintained NA car from any of the Japanese OEMs can last you 20-25 years.
First off, I agree EVs are not for everyone and there are many valid reasons to choose ICE vehicles. But "they are as bad as ICE at polluting" is not one.

Because EVs are more efficient they already emit slightly less C02 for the national grid mix over their life time including manufacturing emissions. There are regional variations in the grid power mix because of which they are worse in some regions and much better in others, but the directions is towards more renewables and it will only get better in future.

And its in your control to make it 100% renewable today by just putting a 2KW solar roof top for ~1.2 Lakhs to generate enough power for ~1500 kms/month. Even apartments associations can do this for EV charging. You don't have this control with ICE or even Hydrogen in future.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 13:14   #12
BHPian

Mod note: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability especially on mobile devices. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Appalled, really? Bemused, I'd understand, but definitely not something that should cause you disgust.
===
There's valid reasons to be excited for the new developments in the EV space and I'm always happy about new launches and am very keen on the advancements being made. However, there are also reasons for being reservations.

The change is the fact that everyone is now looking at EVs as an option when buying a new car. And this has been possible only due to Tata Motors taking the risky first step (which MnM must have taken 5yrs back).

If EVs are really better than ICE, are they less polluting, range anxiety, cost ..etc are things everyone has their own view. You may say no today, but surely your next car will be an EV due to the sheer driving experience and running cost benefit.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2022 at 13:24. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability especially on mobile dev
Old 30th December 2022, 12:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tata's 50,000th EV delivered to Group Chairman N Chandrasekaran

Last month, Tata Motors celebrated the rollout of the 50,000th electric vehicle from its Pune plant. The milestone vehicle, which happened to be a Nexon EV, has now been delivered to Tata Group Chairman N Chandrasekaran.

Name:  nexonev500002.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  83.4 KB

The Nexon EV is available with two battery options. The Nexon EV Prime uses a 127 BHP electric motor powered by a 30.2 kWh battery pack. It is claimed to offer a maximum range of 312 km (ARAI certified).

The Nexon EV Max uses a 40.5 kWh lithium-ion battery pack that offers an ARAI-certified range of 437 km on a single charge. It powers a permanent magnet synchronous AC motor that has an output of 141 BHP and 250 Nm.

Name:  nexonev500001.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  89.9 KB

Tata Motors is one of the leading EV makers in India. The brand offers a range of pure-electric models based on the Tiago, Tigor and Nexon. The carmaker is now gearing up to launch the Punch EV sometime during the third quarter of 2023.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th December 2022 at 13:11.
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 13:23   #14
BHPian

Indeed a significant achievement. Now that the first steps have been taken, it will be interesting to see if they intend to scale up quickly and take advantage. Also will be interesting to see if others plan on taking big steps or small tiny steps for now. Hope there will be major progress soon. Way to go Tata for now!!
Old 30th December 2022, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
With the frankly horrendous after sales and horror stories, not gonna touch Nexon EV with a barge pole right now. The EV issues are frankly disconcerting, poor QC and engineering with poor after sales make for a really bad combo. Let them sort those out first and win people's trust. Plus shocking issues like rollback in Tiago. Only Nexon EV Max makes sense for me, but a lot of us don't have the money to shell just to be early adopters, especially with the kind of money

This is setting aside all the general drawbacks of EVs at this point in time. Sure, it's technologically superior and is most likely the future, but there's nothing appalling about people hesitating to adopt one, especially in India.

I could see adopting ZS EV or any other competitors who can provide affordable and reliable options with good after-sales. Until then I'll get my last ICE car and enjoy it while it lasts!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks