Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 00:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review

I’m wondering how the service costs for this car would be. German trio arent exactly known for affordable service costs but being an EV i cant imagine it being more than 20-25,000 per service.
siren373 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will say around 75. But, it will all depend on how many units have they got in allocation.

Looks are subjective, but in person and in the right colours (like Grey) it does stand out. XC40 will appear a little smaller if my memory serves me right. In interior space, it's definitely larger than others.
Woah. That's a pretty steep price.

My bad. I was meaning to type IX but, typed i4 for a comparison but, I know the IX is much higher priced. For some reasons, Merc SUV's never appealed to me personally (except a few AMG models).

I personally feel they outshine BMW's in their sedan department (3 Vs C, 5 Vs E, 7 vs.S) from styling, interiors and luxury perspective.

XC40 might be a tad smaller than this car, it feels a better value for money for what it offers and will probably sell higher than this Merc.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:32   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I was meaning to type IX but, typed i4 for a comparison but, I know the IX is much higher priced. For some reasons, Merc SUV's never appealed to me personally (except a few AMG models).

iX is more like a Rockstar from the inside (but the original Rockstar is coming next month here). No one is going to buy EQB after sitting in an iX but that's going to happen when someone is shopping not with a budget. iX is 1,15 + and this will be much cheaper.

Quote:
XC40 might be a tad smaller than this car, it feels a better value for money for what it offers and will probably sell higher than this Merc.
Absolutely, with someone on a budget. Besides, Volvo might appear more to young buyers and EQB to little mature buyers. Volvo will be cheaper due to CKD, let's see how MB prices this here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren373 View Post
I’m wondering how the service costs for this car would be. German trio arent exactly known for affordable service costs but being an EV i cant imagine it being more than 20-25,000 per service.
Both EQB and GLB come standard with Eight Year warranties on batteries and transmission, respectively. The whole Car Warranty on the Mercedes is Three Years as Standard. EVs by design have very low service requirements. Some of the Yearly replacement costs that I can think of will be Cabin/ AC Air filter and inspection/ cleaning of brakes. So, the labour charges will be lower too. Around 10-15K should be a good guess in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-screenshot-20221202-9.37.12-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd December 2022 at 09:37.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 10:15   #19
BANNED

Quote:
We started our test drive with a fully charged battery showing a 480 km estimated range, which we found rather optimistic, but once we set out downhill from Kodaikanal to Madurai, we actually found the range going up as we drove along! Credit part of that to not using the A/C and the recuperation working well while going downhill, but we offset quite a bit of that with driving uphill on some steep and narrow town roads to picturesque locations. All said, imagine our surprise when we actually reached the foothills with the range estimate showing 540-odd km! The range did drop by about 60 km the moment we turned on the A/C, but the consumption then stayed stable for the rest of our drive, until we eventually parked in Madurai, having driven about 120 km in all sorts of terrain, with 400-odd km of estimated range left. We suspect it'd be a lot less if we'd driven uphill to Kodaikanal instead, but we didn't get a chance to test that. All said, this car should be able to do its rated WLTP range if not a little more with a combination of enthusiastic driving and cruising.
I guess you are new to EV, that's how EV are supposed to work, recuperate energy through regen, which would galore while driving down hill. It means less usage of disc pads too. on the flip side, it would consume more than your average consumption while going up. Physics doesn't differentiate between ICE or EV , it would be same for fuel based vehicles too.
Old 2nd December 2022, 10:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I guess you are new to EV, that's how EV are supposed to work, recuperate energy through regen, which would galore while driving down hill. It means less usage of disc pads too. on the flip side, it would consume more than your average consumption while going up.
Not new as a newbie, I have been driving Model 3 in hills in Canada but have yet to see such regeneration.

Remember, we spent over 2 hours driving uphill on that mountain road as well as some other scenic spots in the city and vicinity. In fact, we were the last ones to reach the lunch point where the cars were to be swapped.

This can be due to

1. How Mercedes has programmed distance to empty (range) like, how it went 60 km down just by switching on the AC. Maybe at the start, the max it's programmed after charging is based on the drive from the past?

2. A better regenerative system than other cars.

3. A better driver (read as Turbanator ). I mean, if we are within speed limits, have no Air-Conditioner and with a very light foot.

Quote:
Physics doesn't differentiate between ICE or EV, it would be same for fuel based vehicles too.
I don't think any ICE car, after being switched on for over two hours and going through the routes we took, will go up the range. I am all in for comparison if Mercedes can lend us two cars again for a day at Madurai.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz India has launched the EQB 300 4MATIC at an introductory price of Rs 74.5 lakhs.

Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-20221202_124332.jpg

Mercedes will offer an 8-year warranty on the battery with the EQB

Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-20221202_124751.jpg

Mercedes is planning to launch many DC fast chargers in India.

Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-20221202_125036.jpg

The company has set up 30 ultra fast chargers across India in the last 3 months with another 10 to be installed by end-2022.

Customers will be offered complementary charging for the first year of ownership.

EQB will be offered with a 3 year residual value guarantee in India.

Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-20221202_125356.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd December 2022 at 12:59.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will say around 75. But, it will all depend on how many units have they got in allocation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mercedes-Benz India has launched the EQB 300 4MATIC at an introductory price of Rs 74.5 lakhs.
So, quite a close guess by us. MB India was completely silent on the prices at the media event though.

Has MB India priced well? Not sure, from the prices of GLB, it certainly looks, MB India is going to keep the savings due to the lower GST to themselves.

EQB is definitely the pick between its siblings as the On-Road prices should be about the same everywhere due to Zero RTO in many states. Also, EQB is well-loaded and future.

Will I buy one? - I will certainly look at Volvo and see what works best for me before going ahead with this.
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:24   #23
BHPian

GLB base model is going to cost slightly less than 80 lacs on road bangalore. I think that is lot of money for 1.3 liter 161 horsepower engine. Next to GLB, EQB is appearing as total value for money.

I'm wondering how GLB price is justified when GLC is at similar price range. GLB doesnt even look good, atleast to my eyes. Only unique feature GLB offers is, extra two seats. And by dimensions, i could sense that it is not a comfortable 3 seater in the middle.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:46   #24
BHPian

Checked out the EQB today at a mall in Bangalore. The third row is non-existent by default. One has to move middle row seats to even get 1 cm on the third seat. If one considers it as a 5 seater then it’s very nice. Dashboard layout is like the GLA and ergonomically satisfying.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-ab3d11c7f90f4d939d326a240b414b01.jpeg  

Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-52f7ebc49ffe4b589dfb8f74e3366f74.jpeg  

Mercedes-Benz EQB 300 4Matic Review-fb1fdb1f67474822a33a05d3322418f7.jpeg  

Old 4th December 2022, 23:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not new as a newbie, I have been driving Model 3 in hills in Canada but have yet to see such regeneration.

Remember, we spent over 2 hours driving uphill on that mountain road as well as some other scenic spots in the city and vicinity. In fact, we were the last ones to reach the lunch point where the cars were to be swapped.

This can be due to

1. How Mercedes has programmed distance to empty (range) like, how it went 60 km down just by switching on the AC. Maybe at the start, the max it's programmed after charging is based on the drive from the past?

2. A better regenerative system than other cars.

3. A better driver (read as Turbanator lol. I mean, if we are within speed limits, have no Air-Conditioner and with a very light foot.
Interesting comparison on regenerative system of MB vs. Tesla Model 3.

Which year and model is your Model 3?

What's the difference do you feel in regen? Is it the overall stopping power or the energy that is put back into the battery?

Also, how many modes of regen EBQ 300 offers? As you know, Model 3 has 3 different options to choose the regen.

In the Model 3 :

My rough calculation is if you drive for 50 miles one-way, the maximum regen that can happen is 2%-3% of battery capacity.

Also, simple math is 1% battery capacity is equal to 2.5-3 miles.

So, do I understand correctly that EQB puts lot more miles back in the battery?

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th December 2022 at 23:25.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 09:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Interesting comparison on regenerative system of MB vs. Tesla Model 3.
No comparison, I just pointed to a fellow member that it was not as if I was driving for the first time.

Quote:
Which year and model is your Model 3?
From 2018, Rear wheel drive.

Quote:
What's the difference do you feel in regen?
I can't make out clearly in the limited period. A new car, a nice location and clean Air. It did not came to my mind to compare. Besides, Tesla is my occasional drive for few months when I am not here. What I wrote about is how the range increased and the reasons, as I understand it.

Quote:
Also, how many modes of regen EBQ 300 offers? As you know, Model 3 has 3 different options to choose the regen.
There are three adjustable levels via the paddle shifters. And another Auto.

Quote:
My rough calculation is if you drive for 50 miles one-way, the maximum regen that can happen is 2%-3% of battery capacity.

So, do I understand correctly that EQB puts lot more miles back in the battery?
Do factor in the terrain on which we drove. What surprised me the most was how much it increased despite us going to other places where power was used. The total range could be confirmed only if we had driven until it got over and on varying roads.

It has to be due to the gradient and the overall light foot we maintained and how EQB charges or shows the range.

Will another EV show a similar increase? Difficult to answer until I drive in similar conditions, but again, this terrain was different. One thing that's sure is no IC engines can do this.

We will have to wait until long-term ownership reviews are out as we drove the car for about 150 km only.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th December 2022 at 09:56.
Old 10th December 2022, 08:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

EQB is definitely the pick between its siblings as the On-Road prices should be about the same everywhere due to Zero RTO in many states. Also, EQB is well-loaded and future.

Will I buy one? - I will certainly look at Volvo and see what works best for me before going ahead with this.
What is your take between the EQB and the i4? I think on GC alone the EQB makes a strong case for itself on practicality. Then of course there is the EV6 too in the mix. All in all some decent options there between these three (i4, EQB, EV6) for someone wanting a full size car (as opposed to Volvo or Mini which are more compact) in the ballpark 70-85L price range.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th December 2022 at 09:56. Reason: Typo. GLB --> EQB
Old 14th December 2022, 09:49   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What is your take between the EQB and the i4? I think on GC alone the EQB makes a strong case for itself on practicality. Then of course there is the EV6 too in the mix. All in all some decent options there between these three (i4, EQB, EV6)
If it's going to be the only Car, my preference will be EQB just because of the practicality due to the GC and other benefits of SUV. Though i4 will have a much longer range, we cannot ignore the practical condition of our roads.

If someone's use case or liking is purely for a sedan, or they already have an SUV, as you have a Jeep, it can be a case for an EV6 or an i4. I haven't driven either of these but as I mentioned before, tough call to spend so much on a Kia. But again, for a youngster like you, the visual appeal and the kind of features EV6 offer, it will be a tough call to pick a winner between those two.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th December 2022 at 09:57. Reason: Updating corrected typo in quoted text.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks