Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 17:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

New BMW suspension system that harnesses electricity going over speed bumps

According to a media report, BMW has filed a patent at the German Patent Office for a new regenerative suspension system.

As the name suggests, the new suspension system from the German car brand is said to be capable of harvesting energy as it absorbs the shock from a bump when the EV travels over a rough piece of tarmac.

New BMW suspension system that harnesses electricity going over speed bumps-bmwsuspensionsystem.jpg

With the auto industry rapidly transitioning to fully electric vehicles, automakers are finding new ways to boost EV range. In this race, BMW is redesigning the suspension, a part which traditionally wastes energy to support wheel movement.

The patent images showcase an innovative design that allows BMW's EVs to produce usable energy while the wheels move in reaction to a speed bump. The harnessed energy from the suspension is then sent to a generator unit that converts it to usable electricity, in turn charging the car's battery.

However, this new suspension system is still in its patent stages. Whether the German car brand will bring the tech to the market needs to be seen.

Source: CarBuzz

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 6th December 2022 at 17:55.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 17:57   #2
BANNED

Re: New BMW suspension system that harnesses electricity going over speed bumps

Looks like a solution well suited to Indian roads, all BMW EVs will be running around with full charge with all the bumps around. LOL
agambhandari is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Would capture lot of energy in our country's road conditions . Not sure if the cost to produce it justifies the energy captured. Also with stiffer suspensions not sure how much energy BMWs will be able to capture.
PreludeSH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

This has been around for a while. There were a bunch of Indian students who patented it and I think a startup claiming a similar product.
v1p3r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 19:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

In India, such vehicles can contribute to national grid, producing excess electricity by simple day-to-day commute.

Mostly people who will be afford such cars will be staying in countries / areas with good roads, so that may negate the cost benefit. Interesting technology, nonetheless!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 21:56   #6
BHPian

Great for Bangalore roads. Owners can now charge their BMW + Their house inverter + another beater electric car and then make money by selling excess electricity to the Grid.

Jokes apart, this is a cool invention, kudos to whoever came up with this idea.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 6th December 2022 at 21:58.
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 00:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It is an interesting idea. I just don’t understand why the BMW boffins chose this mechanical electronic free wheeling generator set up. Seems to complicated to me.

Why not use induction principle? The suspension is constantly moving up and down so add a coil and some pick ups and Bob’s your uncle? Of course, I am not a boffin by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a pretty low tech solution on a very high tech car I think. Maybe it’s the only way they could get a decent enough charge out of this thing?

Would be interesting to see some performance figures when turned into reality

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:13   #8

The inspiration for this must have definitely come from their design and research team's visit to India (and especially Chennai).
Old 7th December 2022, 09:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Why not use induction principle? The suspension is constantly moving up and down so add a coil and some pick ups and Bob’s your uncle? Of course, I am not a boffin by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a pretty low tech solution on a very high tech car I think. Maybe it’s the only way they could get a decent enough charge out of this thing?

Jeroen

It's a very old concept indeed. Audi had a patent in 2016 similar to this, but mechanisms and principles vary slightly. I was discussing to apply for a patent on this around 2016 (overall concept, not exactly the same as this one) and found that Audi had patented it already and my colleagues lost hope though ours's was based on linear generators like you described which could act in reverse as well like the 'magneto rheological suspension' but without the fluid. I then tried to push my previous org to patent something which generates electricity on a different concept (can' disclose), but very few try to understand the differences in methods, many stop at overall concept and say novelty is gone!

New BMW suspension system that harnesses electricity going over speed bumps-audi.jpg
Image for reference only

Source: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...from-movement/

Last edited by saikarthik : 7th December 2022 at 09:56.
saikarthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:40   #10
BHPian

Found few other iterations dating back from 2009.

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/genshock/

This is that time of solution which seems so obvious AFTER it has been proposed.
Very innovative and cool.

This is the type of ground-up redesigning is required when making an EV rather than just plonking batteries and an electric motor.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:01   #11
BHPian

I hope someone implements a system on road which generates power and lights up warning lights on the road humps in this country. A device over which when the car moves at a distance from the hump doing this.

Damping suspension and using it to store power is useful since damping the suspension is the primary function that serves a useful purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks