Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2022, 15:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Tata Motors announced that the .EV will be Tata Motor's new sub branding for their electric cars from now on. It will be added to the existing Nexon and Tigor EVs as well. Tata may do away with blue accents in the future as EVs are becoming mainstream. This will also allow them to bring the EVs in more colors.

Source:
https://www.autocarpro.in/news/ev-is...b-brand-113640

Tata Motors is also aiming to double the monthly EV production to about 8,000-10,000 units per month. With the Nexon and Tigor EVs, Tata Motors has already reached an annualised rate of 55,000 to 60,000 units per annum, now with the addition of the Tiago EV, the company is looking at an annualised rate of 1 lakh units by FY24. As per Autocar Professional, with the recently launched the Tiago EV as well as the Punch EV planned for 2023, Tata Motors is gunning for 1 lakh production of EVs in the next 12-18 months, which will lead to an EV penetration of over 15 percent for the company. If it manages to sustain the sales momentum, then the EV business could potentially generate about Rs 12,000 crore to Rs 15,000 crore of revenues – which is almost equal to the business its conventional car business generated just three years ago.

Source:
https://www.autocarpro.in/news/tata-...duction-113641
sri_tesla is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 15:17   #17
BHPian

One aspect of EVs, is the option of a "frunk". Not sure why Tata decided to waste so much space in the front by using the same layout as a regular ICE vehicle when it could have easily created a storage area.
Bhodrolok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 15:19   #18
BHPian

Rated 5 stars for the review, Tata motors has the advantage of being a 1st mover but they need to correct/update/rectify errors reported by customers on a continual basis.

TML needs to do away with their image of being a lack luster performer when it comes to after sales service records.

Rest will surely fall in place.
SulemanP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 15:47   #19
BHPian

High-voltage cables should've been covered up properly. Leaving them exposed is unsettling:

Excellent review, thanks for sharing! Tiago EV can be a good city car for folks with 100-150 km of daily commute. While it is good to know that TATA is updating its cars based on customer feedback, wish they could have rectified High-voltage cable cover up issue as well.
karan0009 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 15:51   #20
BHPian

Great review! Been waiting for this. I booked the car in October but final decision to buy or not will be based on test drive once the car arrives in showrooms. But this review definitely instills confidence that it will be a decent car to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
One aspect of EVs, is the option of a "frunk". Not sure why Tata decided to waste so much space in the front by using the same layout as a regular ICE vehicle when it could have easily created a storage area.
Frunk can be designed while building an EV from scratch (mostly with a skateboard platform) because then you have the design liberty to pack everything into the dedicated EV platform. Same thing can't be said about regular ICE cars converted into EVs. I don't think Tata has the option to pack the Motor and Controller into any space other than the hood. Even for the battery, they had to use a split design arrangement to be able fit it into the Tiago platform.
anshumandun is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 16:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
I think the hill start assist might be a deal breaker for some. Even though its a city car and probably there won't be a situation where it has to be driven in the hills, we still have malls, flyovers and other situations that can cause panic during the roll back. The nexon ev max gets hill hold. Not sure why it wasn't given here. The roll back can be quite a lot as demonstrated at time 23:00 in this video on a 14 degree incline:
https://Youtu.be/1WRA8cubzV8?t=1378
Unfortunately for me this is a deal breaker in an otherwise excellent package. The rollback is more than what I have experienced with my Torque Converter Santro AT. This with just one person in the car and on a not so steep slope of 14 degrees. It could be much worse with two people at the back.
mohan41 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 18:45   #22
BHPian

Looking at the initial impression and the well detailed review of the car, I feel personally this is a near perfect city car. Ample range for city runabouts, office trips (even if we consider car pooling range loss will be negligible), adequate power, and the equipment list. Boot space is sufficient and good enough for shopping trips. Also multi mode regen is impressive here.

I said near perfect because I feel it lacks some things that could make it an absolute cracker of a car:

1. Low torque output compared to Tigor EV. Despite the Tigor EV having more torque at 170 N.m., the range of the car is similar to the long range Tiago EV in the real world around 200 km. Even though the review points that the sports mode is peppy, I feel that this could make it better for cities to make a quick start from traffic. This would have made it quite a bantamweight of a car. Fast yet efficient. If there is wheel spin (High chances are that it would especially in Sports mode), give traction control.

2. Lack of spare wheel. Again pointed out in review. I feel that this should not have been given a miss, where due to some unforseen reason if the side wall gets cut or god forbid a tyre burst. This should not have happened. I feel that Tata could have pushed the battery pack a little forward so as to accomodate the spare then it would have been alright.

3. Hill start assist. Well for the cost we pay, I feel the hill hold from Nexon should be offered here. At least we can hold for 3 seconds approx where as here currently the rollback is quite a bit, which is alarming. As per the review I saw in ACI, to overcome this we need Sports mode, which kind of reiterates my first point of criticism, to avoid quick battery discharge.

Well these are my thoughts on improving Tiago EV.
ergon_9700 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 21:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always, The Tiago EV is just the right second car one can have for city commute and gives an idea of things to come in near future: Compact, safe electric cars will be costing between 7.5-9 lakh Rupees with a range of 150-200 km.

I am sure there must be a lot of people who need a second car for their partners and the Tiago EV makes a lot of sense.

Tata should give underbody protection for electric cars on urgent basis, at least as an accessory. I cant imagine driving this car in rains and exposing the wires to all the elements or harsh Indian conditions. There must be a maintenance schedule to replace the wiring's plastic covers as they will harden and crack over the years.

P.S. I think Tata should suffix the name with just 'E' as in 'Tiago Electric' instead of EV as V (vehicle/version) is redundant information now
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 02:29   #24
BHPian

I am in a bit of dillema now guys.
Booked the Tiago EV XZ+ variant, but I can wait for Punch EV if it launches by end of 2023. I think it might be better to wait since it is on second gen platform, battery should be under the floor, no transmission tunnel etc?

Please help out with your suggestions to either go ahead or wait by the year end.
Old 22nd December 2022, 08:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Tiago EV prices set to go up by 4 percent in January.

The introductory prices were valid for the first 20,000 bookings.

Quote:
the hike is not just related to the introductory prices. Another factor is that “battery prices have increased by 30-35 percent, and it is not fully passed on to the buyers
Quote:
Tiago EV's bookings comprise 30 to 35 percent of all Tiago bookings. However, for other EVs in its line-up, it hovers around the 20 to 25 percent mark.
Quote:
it is planning to commence deliveries of the electric Tiago hatchback by mid-January, and expects to complete delivery of the first batch within four to five months.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd December 2022 at 08:24.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 09:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The Tiago EV has a service interval similar to that of the Tigor EV which is 6 months / 7,500 km
This one thing is really bothering me. I have a monthly running of 2000 kms which means that the car needs to visit service center 3 times a year for regular maintenance

I hope the service interval will be changed to 15000kms. There is not really a lot of service needed anyway for EVs.

What is the service interval for Nexon EV, MG ZS EV and Hyundai Kona?
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post

What is the service interval for Nexon EV, MG ZS EV and Hyundai Kona?
My ZS EV has a service interval of 10k/1 year and so far at the SC, all they do is drive it around, fill air, clean it and give it back. at 40k there is a scheduled battery coolant change.
lina is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:32   #28
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
I feel like the pros and cons list for EVs should be specific to EVs, and not comparing against ICE vehicles
Absolutely correct, Ashish. If EVs are going to be present, charging stations will eventually be in abundance. Two different technology platforms cannot be directly compared. Nonetheless, this is a great review by Omkar .

With a decent kilometre range, believe this to be the ideal city EV. I could be mistaken, but I picture this as a 1990s Santro/Zen. In my opinion, more women will sign up for this.

My question may be trivial, but will adding the same amenities as an ICE car here not have an impact on the vehicle's km range and pickup?
Old 22nd December 2022, 13:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
I am in a bit of dillema now guys.
Booked the Tiago EV XZ+ variant, but I can wait for Punch EV if it launches by end of 2023. I think it might be better to wait since it is on second gen platform, battery should be under the floor, no transmission tunnel etc?

Please help out with your suggestions to either go ahead or wait by the year end.
In a few weeks time ie. Jan 13, the 2023 auto expo begins and the rumours are that Tata has a plethora of new launches/concepts lined up. This should give one a good idea of the specifications and timelines for future products coming into the market.

Also it might take Tata a couple of months to allocate your Tiago.ev, not sure where you sit in the booking hierarchy. This should give you plenty time to plan your next purchase.

There's no need to worry, there's a perceptible shift in car buying choices happening everywhere. A big chunk of the car buying population is struggling with this dilemma, you aren't the only one.
shortbread is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 22:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Meta comment: With the advent of EVs, I feel like the pros and cons list for EVs should be specific to EVs, and not comparing against ICE vehicles.
Just my 2 cents.
Right now, I'd assume almost all prospective buyers would be migrating to this (or any other EV) from an ICE car, like myself. Though we do understand the common pros and cons of EVs, the current format serves to reinforce these points, helping in the first time migration.
Would agree with your point when EVs are far more common place, and most buyers would be swapping one EV for another or adding a second EV to their garage.
srikanth.vemuri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks