Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2022, 02:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsivj View Post
More particular my question or thoughts are around the charging station and types. Do they vary based on each car? If they are designed to support any car model, I think that's more practical. Also once I invest in a good fast charger and have set it up, it should be supportive to use any car model and customers should not be forced to buy a new one each time. I may even share my charging station between two of my electric cars or may share it with a neighbour/friend. Charger cost - is this free from insurance cost, road tax, additional Cess? If yes and buying a charger is compulsory, then each time we end up paying more money with no proper justification to some of the taxes.
All EVs sold in India use the same CCS2 charger so the charger cables are compatible across them. A Hyundai Kona charger cable can be used to charge any Tata EV for example.

All fast charging stations or slow charging stations hence supports all the EVs on the road. So anything you setup privately too will.

Currently charging cable comes free with the car or rather you don't pay anything separately for them. Eventually car manufacturers may stop giving charging cables just as the phone manufacturers have. But that scenario will be atleast a decade away.

Third party cables cost around 15K currently and will decrease over time. Tata's cable costs around 30K which seems to be extra marked up. The charging cables are covered under warranty and you will only need to shell out any money to buy only after warranty is over.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 09:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Unfortunately for me this is a deal breaker in an otherwise excellent package. The rollback is more than what I have experienced with my Torque Converter Santro AT. This with just one person in the car and on a not so steep slope of 14 degrees. It could be much worse with two people at the back.
The only way to avoid this rollback is to have hand brake up and then start off. Also, have noted your concern on the product across multiple posts. Let me put it in the best way possible and sorry if it sounds blunt.

If a smooth trouble free drive and painless ownership is the primary concern, then i suggest you forget about EV and get something like an i20CVT. Tata electric cars will not be a painless ownership experience like Hyundai autos as electric is an evolving technology, you will have to take the car to service centre for various updates ( which manufacturers learn over time), service centers are not perfectly equipped to handle electric cars, charging infrastructure gaps and errors that pop up in car due to fast charging and leaving you stranded etc.

Buying a reasonably priced EV is still a gamble and if you are willing to risk it, its worth the effort like I did. If you are expecting trouble free product like a gasoline car that has been developed over 100 years and perfected, that can be forgotten for now.
Nanolover is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 11:45   #33

Hello experts

I am also in dilemma of waiting for Punch EV or getting Tiago EV. According to you, at what price would Tata roll-out Punch EV, if they do in 2023?

My assumption is that for 350km claimed range (more range because of ALFA platform), Punch EV will start at 14L ex-showroom. If that is the case, I would go with Tiago EV because it's a perfect car just to dip our toes in EV bandwagon (due to significantly less price). Also, I will get tax benefit if I get the car before 31st March, 2023.

But if Punch EV is similarly priced, then I would regret my decision in retrospect.
drivertriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 15:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
The only way to avoid this rollback is to have hand brake up and then start off. Also, have noted your concern on the product across multiple posts. Let me put it in the best way possible and sorry if it sounds blunt.
Hi Nanolover, thanks for your attention to my concerns. Your response is definitely not blunt, actually I really appreciate it. I am still sitting on the fence regarding the final decision. I have a Santro AT which has been trouble free so far and seems to be capable of running few more years, so I fully agree with what you say. TC ATs are most reliable although with low FE.

Regarding rollback, there is some hope based on the Autocar India review where they mentioned that rollback is less in S mode. I will test drive the car myself and check.
Old 23rd December 2022, 18:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nanolover, thanks for your attention to my concerns. Your response is definitely not blunt, actually I really appreciate it. I am still sitting on the fence regarding the final decision. I have a Santro AT which has been trouble free so far and seems to be capable of running few more years, so I fully agree with what you say. TC ATs are most reliable although with low FE.

Regarding rollback, there is some hope based on the Autocar India review where they mentioned that rollback is less in S mode. I will test drive the car myself and check.
Great. Do keep in mind that sports mode can be activated only if charge is >25%. Below that SOC sports mode is not activated. On the positive side,the smoothness of electric is unmatched.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 20:05   #36
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai on-road prices of the Tiago EV :

Tata Tiago Electric Review-screenshot-20221223-200207.png
Omkar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 20:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately for me this is a deal breaker in an otherwise excellent package. The rollback is more than what I have experienced with my Torque Converter Santro AT. This with just one person in the car and on a not so steep slope of 14 degrees. It could be much worse with two people at the back.
I don't get it. Why can't we just hold the brakes and then press the accelerator like we have been doing for the past 50 years on hills? There is not even a clutch to juggle and the power delivery is immediate so no waiting for the clutch to engage etc either like in an AMT.
Cresterk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 21:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I don't get it. Why can't we just hold the brakes and then press the accelerator like we have been doing for the past 50 years on hills? There is not even a clutch to juggle and the power delivery is immediate so no waiting for the clutch to engage etc either like in an AMT.
The issue is perhaps that not everyone would be trained to handle this on a parking ramp, and a sliding car will cause panic leading to slower response rates.

Good to see the car delivering the expected range. Let’s hope that this vehicle does better than the other TML products in terms of basic quality of materials and reliability.

Let’s also hope that the company releases any test reports about the battery longevity so that customers do not face the usual nasty TML experiences after the warranty is over.
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a dimwit drive by wire system. If the brakes are pressed, even if you floor the accelerator, no power will go to the motor because of the brake input sensor. When you release the brakes, there is a momentary delay after which the car registers your accelerator input and decides to give the requested power to the motor.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 23rd December 2022 at 22:09.
padmrajravi is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:06   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
It was demonstrated in one of the test drive videos. If one keeps brake pressed and apply throttle motor does not get power and it will still roll back. Brake overrides throttle. Solution demonstrated was to use handbrake+throttle. But it was also mentioned handbrake wasn't that strong to hold on its own.

Anyways I had given the cancellation request for Tiago on Dec 10th, refund yet to come, not surprised. I booked with Derik Tata on Oct 5 for the XT LR variant.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It is a dimwit drive by wire system. If the brakes are pressed, even if you floor the accelerator, no power will go to the motor because of the brake input sensor. When you release the brakes, there is a momentary delay after which the car registers your accelerator input and decides to give the requested power to the motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It was demonstrated in one of the test drive videos. If one keeps brake pressed and apply throttle motor does not get power and it will still roll back. Brake overrides throttle. Solution demonstrated was to use handbrake+throttle. But it was also mentioned handbrake wasn't that strong to hold on its own.

Anyways I had given the cancellation request for Tiago on Dec 10th, refund yet to come, not surprised. I booked with Derik Tata on Oct 5 for the XT LR variant.

Oh Jesus, that's one way to completely mess up a good product. Did they not test it in any manner? This is such a critical flaw. Imagine being stuck on an incline helplessly because there is a delay between brake and accelerator which the computer won't let you override. Good luck if you are parked on a slope between 2 cars. I hope the people asking for ADAS in safari/harrier know what they are in for

Last edited by Cresterk : 23rd December 2022 at 22:26.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:35   #42
BHPian

Would suggest everyone to atleast test drive and see for yourselves before reaching any conclusions. Also, a 10 L hatch will behave and run like a 10L car, so its important to keep that in mind too.
Old 24th December 2022, 13:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
May be this is done to avoid damage to motor ? For TC ATs also it is advised to avoid pressing accelerator while brakes are pressed.

They should have just given proper hill hold.

Last edited by mohan41 : 24th December 2022 at 13:48.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 08:51   #44

Not sure if it would be a problem for all, but in one of the videos, the car also demonstrated the steering-center problem aka the steering not shifting to centre position automatically after a u-turn.

The youtuber repeatedly mentioned it being designed by Maruti Engineers ��
Old 25th December 2022, 16:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

If the handbrake is not strong enough to prevent rollback, how can we park the car safely on a incline as the car does not give a 'P' mode?
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed