Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2022, 16:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
If the handbrake is not strong enough to prevent rollback, how can we park the car safely on a incline as the car does not give a 'P' mode?
This is just so basic that hard to believe Tata did not think through. Hand brake must be strong enough to hold the car in an incline.

Please do not believe the reviewers as it is. Most of them do not have any idea how to drive an ev. I have gone through almost all videos in YouTube and online before buying Max. After living with it for about three weeks and 3000+ kms including a long drive from Bangalore to Nizamabad and back, I can tell you, most of the reviews are not correct. be it range or be it anything else. There are few reviewers like NoiseFaktory who are good and know how to drive ev.

I always wondered earlier why people pay 15 lakhs plus for just 200 kms range. After three weeks, I can tell you, living with EV as only car is also quite ok. I am barely driving XUV now and taking the EV for all drives. As long as you avoid sudden acceleration, you should be able to get good range also. As per my experience of driving MAX, with avoiding sudden acceleration, irrespective of speed you are driving, it should be possible to extract 220+ kms from Tiago long range with Regen 3.

With a 24 KW battery, maintaining 109 wh/km should give you 220 kms of range. Add to it Regen, you should be able to get good range. Maintaining 109-120 wh/km is not that hard. If an novice like me can achieve this, so can you.

Last edited by sumannandy : 25th December 2022 at 16:54.
sumannandy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 18:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Oh Jesus, that's one way to completely mess up a good product. Did they not test it in any manner? This is such a critical flaw. Imagine being stuck on an incline helplessly because there is a delay between brake and accelerator which the computer won't let you override. Good luck if you are parked on a slope between 2 cars. I hope the people asking for ADAS in safari/harrier know what they are in for
the intriguing part is that only 1-2 youtubers pointed out this hill hold issue. I watched about 20 plus reviews and none of them even mention it (not even in the replies to comments on youtube). Someone mentioned that it may work better in sports mode but I digged through the comments on that youtube video and saw that the reviewer experienced the problem in sports mode too and sports mode won't work once the battery gets below 25%. I wonder if this hill hold function can be implemented via a software update like they did for cruise control?
oli.ferns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 11:37   #48

IMHO, if the roll back is true as shown in one of the youtube video (where the road is at a 14deg incline), Tiago cant be a suitable city car. Most cities could have flyovers that has traffic blocks and this roll back issue would end up in more cancellations than expected. At least, I face bumper to bumper traffic jam in a flyover everyday.

For exact results, everyone must test drive in such inclines and then take a call.
gsriram.avis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 23:10   #49
BHPian

The above link by team Plug in india provides the data from charging test of the Tata Tiago.ev.

Link :

Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-721505e0f76a426e9963bce3f84c63ee.jpeg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-ee275f24783545c2827c9939feb68f62.jpeg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-2ff4e033440e4b79af5771289f9998b0.jpeg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-d6523a1b54fc4017b09e96afa7741707.jpeg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-723b6ba151064774ac7b2007c14efc1b.jpeg  

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 26th December 2022 at 23:14.
XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 09:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It was demonstrated in one of the test drive videos. Solution demonstrated was to use handbrake+throttle. But it was also mentioned handbrake wasn't that strong to hold on its own.
I took a test drive recently and sadly discovered this even in Nexon EV (prime, not max). The TD car was parked in a basement, so I took it halfway up the incline (about 15-18%). The moment I released the brakes, the car rolled back quite a bit! I tried the handbrake, and strangely, even with the handbrake engaged, the car seemed to roll back. The salesperson/executive asked me to release the brakes completely, saying there's "hill assist" -- what happened was that, the car rolled back by 1.5-3 feet! -- and after that, it started slowly creeping forward. I suspect they are calling this "hill assist". Then I asked about hill hold and was told, "If you want hill hold or auto hold, you need to get EV Max, which gets an auto hold button. This was a deal-braker for me who was otherwise considering the Nexon EV. I am surprised how the hundreds of owners or thousands of reviews are not mentioning this anywhere.
Surprisingly (or maybe not), the petrol Nexon AMT does seem to have "hill hold" -- it held for 2-3 seconds, giving enough time to shift the leg to the accelerator.
prasi55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 11:19   #51
BHPian

The AMT stands for “auto” Manual Transmission. It has the characteristics of a manual transmission except the action of pressing the clutch and shifting the gear-lever is automated.
Like all manual transmissions, it roll’s back in inclines and should be used with hand brakes.
Old 29th December 2022, 14:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi55 View Post
I took a test drive recently and sadly discovered this even in Nexon EV (prime, not max). The TD car was parked in a basement, so I took it halfway up the incline (about 15-18%). The moment I released the brakes, the car rolled back quite a bit! I tried the handbrake, and strangely, even with the handbrake engaged, the car seemed to roll back. The salesperson/executive asked me to release the brakes completely, saying there's "hill assist" -- what happened was that, the car rolled back by 1.5-3 feet! -- and after that, it started slowly creeping forward. I suspect they are calling this "hill assist". Then I asked about hill hold and was told, "If you want hill hold or auto hold, you need to get EV Max, which gets an auto hold button. This was a deal-braker for me who was otherwise considering the Nexon EV. I am surprised how the hundreds of owners or thousands of reviews are not mentioning this anywhere.
At least one owner has mentioned about it in T-BHP itself. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5133835 (Review: The Tata Nexon EV)

This post was more than a year ago. So this is definitely not specific to Tiago and Tata should have known about this.

Apparently many AMTs also have this issue. So is Tata thinking that most people are ok with this issue ?
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 15:44   #53
BHPian

I think this issue is being blown out if proportion. Anyone who is used to driving will immediately press the accelerator upon releasing brake on an incline. Agreed hill hold might be the best solution but in the absence of it , pressing the accelerator should suffice. Else handbrake and accelerator on extreme steep slopes.

The reason is because the torque delivery is calibrated in such a way so as to not cause wheelspin and overwhelm the tyres ( remember electric motors produce maximum torque at startup).

Proper use of handbrake is necessary for extreme steep slopes,else be smart with brake accelerator and you should be fine. This is basis my experience with the tigor ev
Nanolover is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 18:05   #54
BHPian

Hi, after extensive research i have come to the following conclusion

There will be a 2.5L difference variant to variant in Tiago.ev (new pricing) vs Punch.ev

Range of LR will be more or less same (+20kms in punch)

Battery pack will be slightly bigger but will be needed since SUV'ish body styling and resultant coefficient of drag

Space is considerable more in Punch.ev

Dash and interiors look better in Punch.ev (subjective)

Now my question is, I do not urgently need an extra car right now, (I have one) but DO need in 6 months time

I have booked in introductory pricing. Should I go for Tiago.ev or wait for Punch.ev*till*april-23

Benefits of Tiago.ev
1. I will get Introductory Pricing (+30k Savings)
2. I will get Central Govt Interest Deduction (+50k Savings)
3. Lower EMI

Benefits of Punch.ev
1. New Platform (EV focused)
2. More Efficiency
3. Better looking dash (My view)
4. Better Space (Boot and otherwise)
5. Better ground clearance
electric.O is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 18:16   #55
BHPian

These all are mere speculations considering the supply chain & production constraints tata motors have its wise to go for Tiago.ev if you are expecting its delivery by February.

Punch.ev may arrive or not arrive by end of 2023 nothing is confirmed.
XRoader_001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 16:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Shailesh Chandra, Managing Director, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles Ltd has announced that

Quote:
Tiago.ev received tremendous response, post the bookings opening during the quarter; deliveries to start in Jan’23.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st January 2023 at 16:53.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 18:02   #57
BHPian

Did any of the dealers give update on the expected TD timelines? I am one of the first ones in queue at my local Tata dealer ; in early December the sales exec mentioned that TD vehicles are expected in last week of December and the deliveries are supposed to start on 26th January, coinciding with the national holiday. However, it's already 2023 and there are still no signs of the TD vehicles.

Last edited by crazydevil : 1st January 2023 at 18:03. Reason: Punctuation error
Old 1st January 2023, 19:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
I think this issue is being blown out if proportion. Anyone who is used to driving will immediately press the accelerator upon releasing brake on an incline. Agreed hill hold might be the best solution but in the absence of it , pressing the accelerator should suffice. Else handbrake and accelerator on extreme steep slopes.

The reason is because the torque delivery is calibrated in such a way so as to not cause wheelspin and overwhelm the tyres ( remember electric motors produce maximum torque at startup).

Proper use of handbrake is necessary for extreme steep slopes,else be smart with brake accelerator and you should be fine. This is basis my experience with the tigor ev
Yeah that’s what I thought too but apparently there is a safety mechanism that ignores accelerator input while pressing brake. And the ECU takes a second to disengage this mechanism after letting go of the brakes during which time it will roll wherever.

This safety mechanism to prevent simultaneous accelerator + brake input is not some new technology. My 7 year old i20 also has it where it cuts the accelerator input if you press the brake pedal for a few seconds. But Hyundai has smartly programmed the car to only do this after a few seconds of input which gives you more than enough time to do whatever manoeuvre you intended and it disables immediately on letting go of the brake.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
Did any of the dealers give update on the expected TD timelines? I am one of the first ones in queue at my local Tata dealer ; in early December the sales exec mentioned that TD vehicles are expected in last week of December and the deliveries are supposed to start on 26th January, coinciding with the national holiday. However, it's already 2023 and there are still no signs of the TD vehicles.
I had booked the Tiago EV in October, and just got a call from the showroom executive that the vehicles have been dispatched and will most probably be available for TD this weekend (7th Jan)
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:20   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric.O View Post
Benefits of Punch.ev
1. New Platform (EV focused)
2. More Efficiency
1. It is not EV focused, it was made as ICE platform.
2. No, the efficiency will be lower than Tiago due to the body shape and weight. The drag will be higher on this one than tiago.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks