Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2023, 17:40   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

I went for a test drive in Hyderabad. The car was ZX+ Lux variant In Teal Blue colour. This colour also looked good (the other being Tropical Mist). It had around 230 kms Odo reading.

It had 91% charge and was showing a range of 150 kms with AC off and 130 kms with AC on.

It seems that the SA joined recently and was not aware of many things. In fact, when I pointed out to the Tiago EV and asked her if this was the test drive vehicle. She said it was the Nexon EV. Turned out it was a Tiago EV being prepared for delivery to customer.

Driving it felt easy in the city traffic. I felt that the different levels of regen is a very good feature. Little disappointed that the Android Auto is not wireless.

Tested it out on a moderate slope after bringing the car to a complete halt. Car rolled back around 1 foot before starting again. It had 4 adults and 1 kid inside. Tried it again with the parking brake on and there was no rolling back this time.

No one in the show room had the Zconnect app installed for trying it out.

SA told me that booking can be made even now at the introductory prices and that the waiting period is 4 months. She could not tell me what would be the price of the extended warranty. She also could not share with me the list of Accessories.

On the whole, I felt that the TD felt very good. A knowledgeable SA could have made the experience better.

Waiting for my car to be delivered.
abc_xyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 21:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_xyz View Post
It had 91% charge and was showing a range of 150 kms with AC off and 130 kms with AC on.
Driving it felt easy in the city traffic. I felt that the different levels of regen is a very good feature. Little disappointed that the Android Auto is not wireless.
Tested it out on a moderate slope after bringing the car to a complete halt. Car rolled back around 1 foot before starting again. It had 4 adults and 1 kid inside. Tried it again with the parking brake on and there was no rolling back

On the whole, I felt that the TD felt very good. A knowledgeable SA could have made the experience better.

I had a good test drive experience with a knowledgeable sales guy (from Wasan Motors in Mumbai). Explained everything well.

We had the similar experience of 89% charge and 140km range showing up. This is very much a city car.
Tried sports mode for a very short stretch. Good fun and is it amazing how quickly the range drops.

Test drive was exceptionally smooth. The dealer agreed to send the car to our neighbourhood, which is full of paver block uneven roads, dozens of irregular speed breakers, and some steep slopes. The car felt so smooth and easy to drive that I think Tata Motors should just concentrate on getting maximum people to do longer test drives. It feels like a step down to go back to a petrol car. This baby is born for the chaotic Indian urban jungle.

One wish - Even the 3rd level regen is not strong enough to use as a near-stop in normal city traffic driving. If TaMo is listening, this car will be unbeatable for busy city commutes if had a single pedal mode with AEB/adaptive cruise at slow traffic speeds. I can happily sacrifice the connected car features to get this.

One disappointment - It is not an issue on the open road, but in bumper-to-bumper traffic the roll back is enough to cause repeated hits at the rear! We faced this during the test drive, and had to use the hand brake to avoid an autorickshaw kissing the tiago's rear bumper. Tiago.ev is not a replacement for a proper automatic in traffic on a slope. We might end up cancelling our booking for this reason.
guptad42 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 11:17   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post

One disappointment - It is not an issue on the open road, but in bumper-to-bumper traffic the roll back is enough to cause repeated hits at the rear! We faced this during the test drive, and had to use the hand brake to avoid an autorickshaw kissing the tiago's rear bumper. Tiago.ev is not a replacement for a proper automatic in traffic on a slope. We might end up cancelling our booking for this reason.

1. traffic on steep slopes is rare and 90% of manual drivers cannot move the car forward without rolling back on steep slopes, so everyone is cautious already and maintain more distance on a slope.

2. I test drove and specifically stopped on a flyover ramp and it rolled about only about half a foot atmost before taking off... a flyover ramp is obviously not the steepest of slopes like in a parking lot of a mall but in a mall if someone stops on ramp everyone behind automatically maintains 5-6 feet distance.

obviously could not test all scenarious but did not feel it as a deal breaker at all... Initially, i was also worried when everyone was talking about it but after TD, i don't even consider it a problem... this is not even 20% the roll back of all the stupid drivers we see on a daily basis.
vj_v3 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:13   #124
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors ends introductory pricing for Tiago.ev

Press Release

Tata Tiago Electric Review-smartselect_20230210131148_drive.jpg
Venkatesh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 15:41   #125
BHPian

I booked a Tiago EV (LR Tech LUX pack) two days ago, so just in the nick of time. Still 20K is not a major difference and would have booked it anyways.

Started searching for a second car for my wife to drive sometime around the end of last year. This car would be an 'intra-locality' car (not even inter city) with max round trips being in the range of 5-10 kms (but frequent) with our office(s), school, banks, hotels, shopping malls and recreation, all falling within this radius.

The criteria,
a. It has to be an automatic car.
b. Should be much smaller than my XUV500 AT.

With this started searching,
a. Everyone's favorite 'intra-city' car the S-Presso was just terrible in its AMT avatar. Plus the bare minimal interiors and its terrible looks did not help either.

b. After driving all AMT's, the only AMT which was 'reasonable' is the NIOS i10. This car came to around ~ 10 OTR for the sportz model. Still even this car struggled to climb up the ramp to my house and did not like the 'AMT' head nods either.

c. i20 DCT was good, gearshifts were imperceptible (almost as good as the torque convertor in my XUV 500) and had no issues climbing up the ramp to my house. But this (N-line model) came at ~15 lakhs on-road with just a 3 star safety rating.

I was not specifically looking for a EV but when Tiago EV was launched, took it for test drive.

Requested for a test drive in the Tiago EV page, within a day got a call from Tata motors on the nearest showroom, which happened to be PPS motors Pallikaranai. The SA from PPS motors exceeded my expectations where i took a test drive on a Sunday evening with just a one hour heads up. He then precisely showed up at my place at the given time to do the 'ramp' test and his followups were polite and un-intrusive.

Coming to car itself, i was presently surprised to see how far Tata's have come. My first car was a Tata (Indica DLS non-turbo), then had a Nano. So have some experience with them .

a. The pickup was really good. Its initial acceleration is better than my XUV500.

b. Sufficient amount of torque. Many ICE cars struggle to climb up the ramp in my house. Tiago EV was effortless in climbing up the garage.

c. Torque delivery is linear and its super easy to drive.

d. NVH is beyond belief. Have driven Tesla's in US but seeing something like this at ~10 Lakhs in India by an Indian manufacturer is amazing. In all fairness, on dirt roads, I could hear stones hitting the cladding, so underbody insulation could have been better (maybe).

e. Excellent interiors. This has all the the features of my XUV500 and more (like Apple car play).

Now waiting for delivery of the vehicle. Was promised delivery in ~60 Days.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 10th February 2023 at 15:45.
Aceman82 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 16:31   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Now waiting for delivery of the vehicle. Was promised delivery in ~60 Days.
Booking 2 days ago does not guarantee old price if you were not part of the first 20000 booking. You will pay the price prevalent at the time of delivery. So, if they increase by another 20K by the time your delivery happens in 3-4 months, you will have to pay the price prevalent at that point.

People within the first 20000 bookings go an email from Tata confirming introductory pricing.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 19:14   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post

People within the first 20000 bookings go an email from Tata confirming introductory pricing.
I was among the first 10000 to book. I booked through the dealer. But, I didn't receive any confirmation mail from Tata. I took up this issue with my dealer. Dealer says that I have to pay the introductory price only, nothing more.
abc_xyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 14:20   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_xyz View Post
I was among the first 10000 to book. I booked through the dealer. But, I didn't receive any confirmation mail from Tata. I took up this issue with my dealer. Dealer says that I have to pay the introductory price only, nothing more.
Yeah, they messed up some email ID's and stuff. I think the price shows up on their CRM app when delivering.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 21:59   #129
BHPian

Took delivery of Tiago EV XZ+ Tech Lux today with 30 KMs on the ODO, now it stands at ~70 KMs.

Did not buy any accessories from the dealership, planning to get Floor Mats and Mud Guards. Do let me know if anyone has recommendations on good Floor Mats and any other must have accessory for an EV.

Impressions so far:
  • The NVH is decent, there's some Tyre Noise and I found the AC blower to be loud. Need to check if the Tyre is overinflated.
  • The pickup is adequate for a city car in the 'Drive' mode, haven't tried the 'Sports' mode yet.
  • The car does roll back ever so slightly on an incline when switching from brake to accelerator. Nothing alarming but use of handbrake will be prudent.
  • There's going to be a bit of learning curve to extend the drivable range and the use of regeneration levels.
  • Before today, my only other experience driving an EV was the short test drive of Nexon EV last year. Overall happy with the purchase.
Now for some pictures

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_1111.png
Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_1112.png
sumithb is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 08:49   #130

Congratulations to everyone who have received their vehicles.

Is anyone aware regarding the subsidy in Haryana for Tiago.EV? My dealer keeps on telling me that it is valid only for EVs with ex showroom >= 16L and hence the only subsidy for Tiago.EV is on RTO charges (that too 20% currently but planned to 80% in future).

On Googling, I read that the Haryana EV policy mentions about subsidy on EVs less than 16L (which is 15% of Ex-Showroom) - so not sure why the SA is adamant that there is not any significant subsidy.
silvy_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 12:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvy_rider View Post
Congratulations to everyone who have received their vehicles.

Is anyone aware regarding the subsidy in Haryana for Tiago.EV? My dealer keeps on telling me that it is valid only for EVs with ex showroom >= 16L and hence the only subsidy for Tiago.EV is on RTO charges (that too 20% currently but planned to 80% in future).

On Googling, I read that the Haryana EV policy mentions about subsidy on EVs less than 16L (which is 15% of Ex-Showroom) - so not sure why the SA is adamant that there is not any significant subsidy.
Hey, Could you point me to a place where it mentions about subsidy for vehicles less than 15 lakhs as this document mentions for subsidy beyond 15 lakhs only.
https://investharyana.in/content/pdf...icy%202022.pdf
Old 13th February 2023, 09:58   #132
BHPian

Quick update, took delivery of my Tiago XZ+ Tech Lux on Friday, 10th Feb from KHT (They had 48 deliveries that day apparently, could only spot about 3-4 EVs!). Car was dispatched from factory, made the full payment and was registered all within a span of 10 days. Except for the registration process at KA51 RTO the entire process was pretty smooth at KHT Brookfield, which I believe is one of the most efficient Tata Dealerships in Bangalore.

Will post observations on the car after driving it for a week or so, but immediate response is that at 11.5 Lakhs on Road, Tata seems to have a great car for city purposes. I also feel the dimensions are perfect for the city. The refinement and the ease of city driving in an EV is mind blowing, after having driven a Diesel Innova Crysta for the past year or so!
Mile10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 10:20   #133
BHPian

Congratlations @sumithb and @Mile10 and others who have got their Tiago EVs. Wish you all many many miles of happy, safe and trouble free motoring.

Kindly post any updates about the experience with the vehicle. I deferred by purchase by an year but if everything with this vehicle seems to be going well (unlike issues reported in Nexon and Tigor EVs) I am eager to reverse by decision earlier as this is a very compelling package as a city-only car due to the EV experience and small footprint.

Last edited by mohan41 : 13th February 2023 at 10:22.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 10:53   #134
BHPian

Test Drove Tiago.ev and Nexon EV Prime back to back yesterday. Will keep it short and crisp.

Talking about Tiago.ev, the car was peppy and drivable at city speeds. Didn't feel like we are driving a small car. The acceleration in drive mode was decent. The moment you switch from D to S while keeping constant acceleration, you will realise it has enough grunt to make easy overtaking manoeuvres while being at city speeds. At low speeds, it was comparable with subtle overtaking performed in an Octavia 2.0 TSI.

Also tried the infamous incline test, with 3 adults on board, did a stop-and-go on a slope. Basically just released the brake pedal with no throttle input. The car did roll back maybe for an inch or 2 but started crawling up with a bit of a strain but didn't disappoint me. I felt something similar in Nexon too, but neither of these observations was concerning for me at least. As per the SA, the brake pedal has to be fully released for the crawl to begin.

The one con that I felt was around the learning curve in using the drive selector, I felt the need to get my eyes off the road and I didn't like it.

Post Tiago, we test-drove Nexon EV Prime. It definitely feels more premium and has better road presence but wrt to drive, I didn't find too much of a difference. Personally, I am okay with either of them but my wife being the primary user of this new acquisition is inching towards Nexon more, owing to better road presence and higher stance and an upgrade from her previous car, which was an EON.

I thought the ownership of a green number plate car was in itself a niche category to be in but keeping home minister happy is more important.

Guess I should have stuck to an at-home test drive.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2023 at 08:54. Reason: Grammatical errors
rahul1407 is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th February 2023, 15:21   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile10 View Post
Quick update, took delivery of my Tiago XZ+ Tech Lux on Friday, 10th Feb from KHT (They had 48 deliveries that day apparently, could only spot about 3-4 EVs!). Car was dispatched from factory, made the full payment and was registered all within a span of 10 days. Except for the registration process at KA51 RTO the entire process was pretty smooth at KHT Brookfield, which I believe is one of the most efficient Tata Dealerships in Bangalore.
Did you get any email from Tata that car has been allocated and dispatched etc from factory?

My dealer is trying to be shady, so wondering if there is any communication from tata directly.
vj_v3 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed