Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 11:59   #166
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Cruise control logo/display doesnt confirm the cruise set. It should show the speed also in a particular color. Once you set the Cruise ON mode, then press down button on the Cruise speed increase/decrease to set the cruise on at a particular speed.

On the RHS, there are of 4 buttons. Cruise On/Off and Speed set-increase/decrease. Use the latter.
Yes, thanks. I had worked it out today. It’s working so it’s a relief. Nice little package by TATA but one can always krib for a little more range.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 12:54   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Yes, thanks. I had worked it out today. It’s working so it’s a relief. Nice little package by TATA but one can always krib for a little more range.
Once cruise it set, use right most up/down buttons to increase/decrease Cruise set speed by 2 kmph.

If you press brake and cruise gets off, always come back again pressing down button instead of up button so that you don't get confused by sudden revvs.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 13:34   #168
BHPian

I have a doubt. While taking delivery, how do we ensure that the vehicle being delivered is the same variant as the one we paid for? I understand that the name of the variant is nowhere mentioned on the vehicle.
Old 25th February 2023, 22:38   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_xyz View Post
I have a doubt. While taking delivery, how do we ensure that the vehicle being delivered is the same variant as the one we paid for? I understand that the name of the variant is nowhere mentioned on the vehicle.
By ordering a particular variant, one should already be aware of the features they get and don't?! Ex: Rear Wiper, Push-start button, Leatherette seats/steering wheel, Wheel Cap design, Fog lamp, door request sensor, black roof, etc.

Or you can download a copy of brochure and have it handy during delivery to cross check.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 11:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshalage View Post
Hey,

Thanks for bringing the attention on the rear parking sensors. I have a similar problem with Tata Tiago XZA+ model. They don't provide rear parking sensors and there is no audio alert. They just provide rear camera.

Without audio alerts, I feel its of not much use to avoid accidents, you could accidently hit a pole, a child, while taking reverse as you may not focus everytime.

I have raised this concern to Tata Motors and to the dealer, both of them have an attitude of don't care for customer. There is no standard accessory from Tata Motors for rear parking sensors, Strange!!!

I am more frustrated to know Maruti provides rear parking sensors + beep for all its models like Alto, Spresso, WagonR.

What's the point of calling a 4* safety with no parking alerts + sound beeps.

Here is the email reply from Tata Motors:
Attachment 2421366

Attachment 2421367

I got an afterMarket rear parking sensor from Amazon for 550Rs and got it installed in Tata Service Showroom for 1250Rs service charges.

The installation was not perfect, they couldn't read the manual properly, the spacing between the sensors is not well aligned.
Do you know if it can be integrated into the infotainment display unit? The lower variants get parking sensors and the audible and visual alerts are shown in the display (it shows how close you are to the obstacle, video below). Also is it confirmed that fitting a reverse parking sensor will affect the warranty? Not sure why it would as the lower variants already come with reverse sensors:

Last edited by oli.ferns : 27th February 2023 at 11:46.
Old 27th February 2023, 11:58   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_xyz View Post

Check the sales invoice. The invoice mentions the variant. If you cross verify the chassis number on the invoice with that of the physical car, then you know that the dealer delivered the correct car.
sridhga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 17:10   #172
BHPian

Took delivery of my white XZ+ Tiago.EV yesterday. It replaces by VW Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG so it has big shoes to fill!

Tata Tiago Electric Review-image_6487327-1.jpg

Very pleasant experience with the Prerana Motors Tata showroom at Jakkur. After the initial booking hiccup, everything was sorted out nicely and since then it has been a nice experience dealing with them. Special thanks to Manoj, Chinnappa and Manjunath for their professional and customer centric approach during the whole process.

I saved around 30k in insurance cost by opting for Acko (20k for Zero depreciation) instead of going with the 52k quote from the showroom.

Oh and did I mention that the car is a hoot to drive in "S" mode! It's performance is at par with GT TSI (my other car) till 80kmph after which the performance tapers off.

Another thing that I loved is the sci-fi motor sound when you drive in the silent basement parking. This car is a vehicle from the future

I had actually booked the LUX version but my booking wasn't confirmed for 2 months and after several follow ups when I finally received the confirmation email, it had the XZ+ variant in the email. In these 2 months, I had forgotten that the top variant was named LUX and assumed that XZ+ must be the top end. It was only when the car arrived that I realized the goof up in the online booking process. I just let it go as the upgrades in the LUX are merely cosmetic and went ahead with the XZ+ variant. I am planning to use the saved 50k for upgrading the wheels. I personally feel that the 14 inch steel wheels don't do justice to the otherwise handsome design.
anshumandun is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 21:41   #173

Hello

Finally after a lot of deliberations we got home the Tiago EV XT LR. This car is going to be a replacement of the Celerio AMT that served us for over 8.5 years. We only needed a car for city commutes since for the longer drives we have the XUV700 which I absolutely love to drive.

Selecting the Celerio Replacement
The new car needed to be small (sub 4 meter) for city commute and had to be an automatic. With the shoddy experience of the AMT gearbox in the Celerio it was clear that any car with an AMT was ruled out straight away. That left us with only 2 mainstream options Altroz DCA and i20 CVT in the price range of Rupees 10 to 12 lacs all in. Honda Amaze was not considered as it was not so much fun to drive it and was uncomfortable for me since the driver’s seat didn’t slide back as much as I would like.

With the launch of the Tiago EV in similar price range (Rs 10 to 12 lacs all in) it made a lot of sense albeit the slightly smaller interior space. Overall it seemed as a good option and was priced just right for us to experience the joys/hassles/unknowns of using an EV before we purchase a more expensive EV as a mainstream car.

Thus we booked the Tiago EV and were among the first 20,000 customer with the price guarantee.

Change of Mind??
Towards the end of Jan/early Feb 2023 we were more driven towards the Citroen eC3 primarily due to its larger interior space and a better exterior styling viz a viz the Tiago. While our Tiago was about to be allocated this dilemma was pushing things by a week.

But after some deliberations and little research decided to stick to the Tiago EV primarily to the below reasons:
- The battery of the EV is the most expensive part covered under warranty and this is the part that might have a significant chance where we need to invoke the warranty after 4 to 8 years (Citroen eC3 offers 7 years warranty viz a viz 8 years for Tiago EV). I was much more comfortable with the extended warranty of 8 years(or 7years in case of Citroen) from Tata than from Citroen India – the probability of Tata Motors continued presence in India after say 5 years is significantly higher/almost certain compared to that of Citroen in India.
- While I am not qualified to comment here, but with the little reading I did I was of the opinion that the Tiago EV battery being liquid cooled is superior to the eC3 having air cooled batteries. IMO this might have an impact on the level of degradation of the LFP batteries over the years with the liquid cooled Tiago EV battery degrading to a little lesser extent over the years. Correct me if I am wrong here.
- The timeline of the launch/pricing/commencement of deliveries of eC3 was constantly getting delayed. Hence by the time I could get the eC3 was not clear. Currently Maharashtra has no subsidy but it has a waiver of registration charges in case of an EV, but I don’t know how long that will last and hence was not too eager to wait longer.
- The raised flooring of the eC3 on the rear seat is not good since I find my friends Nexon EV Max very uncomfortable in the back seat precisely for this reason.

Delivery
Selected the Tiago EV XT LR with the insurance policy taken from my side via Acko as dealer could not match the price I was getting and the only accessories from the dealer were the mud flaps, rubber mats and the rear parcel tray.

The showroom mentioned that the scheme/rates for the extended warranty for the car for 4th/5th year (apart from warranty on battery/motor) was not yet offered by Tata and hence could not take it.

Car was charged to 100% before delivery and had 80 kilometres on the odometer.

Telematics was not ready due to some backend work ex Tata and the dealer said it will take 3 days before it syncs with my app.

Positives
- Pleasant to drive and also feels very easy to zip around in the city.
- ICE car riders will really enjoy the quiet ride.
- Its at a good price point to get a real life feel of owning an EV before purchasing a more expensive EV.
- For normal running “D” mode is more than adequate. “S” mode is for when you want to have some fun.
- Ride quality/suspension setup is very good
- Relatively more environmentally friendly

Negatives
- Anxiety on range and charging would remain for EVs in the near term. Having driven for 110 kilometers in 3 days I expect that I will end up with a range of approx. 150-160 kilometers in the first cycle. Slightly below my expectation but I hope that once we go through the learning curve of the EV driving it might improve. This expected range that I mentioned is with driving neither too conservatively and nor too aggressively and 90% of the time in D mode, Regen Level 3, in medium to heavy Mumbai traffic and AC on 100% of the time. Its maybe too early to conclude anything as yet, will try to update after driving for another 1 month.
- While the seat cushioning is nicely firm, the ergonomics of the front seats could surely have been better in the area of lumbar support. I would not like it for long drives. But my wife does not feel the same way for these seats and hence maybe its subjective.

Overall it’s a good buy IMO at this price range and can be an ideal second car for the daily city runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-front.jpg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-side1.jpg  

BS777 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 21:54   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Took delivery of my white XZ+ Tiago.EV yesterday.

I just let it go as the upgrades in the LUX are merely cosmetic and went ahead with the XZ+ variant. I am planning to use the saved 50k for upgrading the wheels. I personally feel that the 14 inch steel wheels don't do justice to the otherwise handsome design.
Congrats! Wish Tata had provided a nice set of alloy wheels. Even the normal Tiago 15" alloy wheels still look great and if one can get JTP alloy, nothing like it!
Not sure if Tata skimped on it for the range as they have otherwise given so many nice-to-have features. Hope someone upgrades soon and does a range test.

For the 50K, Tech Lux gets the below over XZ+, which is well worth in my opinion. But maintaining that white leatherette will be a pain but looks really nice.
  • Keyless Entry
  • Electric tailgate
  • Push start button
  • Black Roof
  • Leatherette Steering wheel
  • Leatherette Seats
  • Remote immobilization from app

Would it be a bad idea to upgrade the dampers to NRG's? They are different parts as per Boodmo and can probably help in a 10 mm raise in ground clearance (165 --> 175 mm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS777 View Post
Finally after a lot of deliberations we got home the Tiago EV XT LR.
Congrats!
This color looks sweet! not sure how tough is it to maintain though. A nice set of alloy is all it needs. Apparently, not many Tropical Mist going by recent deliveries, wondering why(?!) given that Tata promoted that colour so much.

Last edited by ganesc : 28th February 2023 at 21:55.
ganesc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 09:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Congrats! Wish Tata had provided a nice set of alloy wheels. Even the normal Tiago 15" alloy wheels still look great and if one can get JTP alloy, nothing like it!
Not sure if Tata skimped on it for the range as they have otherwise given so many nice-to-have features. Hope someone upgrades soon and does a range test.

Thanks. I will be the one to test the change in range after changing to alloy wheels. Have ordered the 15" OEM Tiago Alloy Wheels from Boodmo.
Old 1st March 2023, 09:32   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
  • Electric tailgate
What do you mean by electric tailgate??
Is it the type present in the likes of fortuner, or am I misunderstanding it?
Old 1st March 2023, 10:23   #177
BHPian

Just wanted add some more feedback regarding the drive. This time for excessive hill assist. I took the delivery of my tiago ev yesterday and just loved every bit of the initial drive. However, there was something I thought I should share as part of the review. I need to park the car on a slope and the slope is not steep but enough to make the car roll back slightly. This is outside the society boundary wall. So if I'm like 1 foot away from the wall and release the brake, the hill assist kicks in and even in D mode, its a little more agressive and the car moves forward quickly so there is a chance (if not alert or an inexperienced driver, I'm thinking of my wife who will be driving the car mostly and this is her first car) to crash into the wall. Would appreciate if tata could have or can provide hill hold instead of hill start assist or atleast turn of hill start assist in situations like these.

Last edited by oli.ferns : 1st March 2023 at 10:26.
oli.ferns is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:39   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
Just wanted add some more feedback regarding the drive. This time for excessive hill assist. I took the delivery of my tiago ev yesterday and just loved every bit of the initial drive. However, there was something I thought I should share as part of the review. I need to park the car on a slope and the slope is not steep but enough to make the car roll back slightly. This is outside the society boundary wall. So if I'm like 1 foot away from the wall and release the brake, the hill assist kicks in and even in D mode, its a little more agressive and the car moves forward quickly so there is a chance (if not alert or an inexperienced driver, I'm thinking of my wife who will be driving the car mostly and this is her first car) to crash into the wall. Would appreciate if tata could have or can provide hill hold instead of hill start assist or atleast turn of hill start assist in situations like these.
Hill hold needs lot more hardware like electronic parking brake etc which is probably difficult to add for the price. Your seems to be more of a one off requirement and driver skill related.
Old 1st March 2023, 13:16   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Hill hold needs lot more hardware like electronic parking brake etc which is probably difficult to add for the price. Your seems to be more of a one off requirement and driver skill related.
thanks for the info. Yes it's a rare situation. Another practical situation I can think of is parallel parking on a slope between two vehicles. I will be relocating to another society soon, with a dedicated parking, so it won't be an issue later on.
Old 1st March 2023, 14:00   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS777 View Post
Finally after a lot of deliberations we got home the Tiago EV XT LR.
Congrats!

We also got home the Tiago EV XZA+ a while back today, in the same colour as yours'. We booked it on the 18th Feb and took delivery today, so not bad at all from Tata Motors. The 12 km drive back home saw the battery dip from 99% to 92%.

Last edited by roy_libran : 1st March 2023 at 14:22.
roy_libran is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed