Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 01:38   #136

Re: Citroen eC3 Review

The debate on whether eC3 is well priced or not is fascinating. It shows the first mover advantage.

Tata's aging platforms, basic BMS (the need to slow charge battery to 100% to re-balance cells), crappy engineering (e.g. dangling HV lines, charger release issues etc.) and compromised practicality in Tiago and Tigor (no spare tire or smaller boot) are forgiven because of the feature list.

Tata has trained Indian consumer expectations of an ev. Since Citroen didn't follow the playbook it faces heat.
Magicallyme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 01:38   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
C3 Live and eC3 Live : Rs.5.5 lakh (EV has less power)
Tiago XT and Tiago.EV XT LR : Rs.2.5 lakh (EV has more features)
Tigor XZ and Tigor EV XT: Rs.5.8 lakh (Both are evenly matched)
Nexon XM and Nexon EV Prime XM : Rs.5.7 lakh (EV has more features and power)
To be honest this comparison would have been fairer if automatic transmission petrol variant price was compared to the EV counterpart, due to similar driving experience.

But eC3 Live having less power than C3 Live and the whopping price difference of 5.5 lakh is a deal breaker for sure for private buyers. Raking up the requisite kilometers to justify the 5.5 lakhs additional acquisition cost would be near impossible to achieve for most buyers in the ownership timeline.
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 05:41   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Why are people comparing eC3 to Tiago?

Completely different in size and space.
EV scale in India is too small to define segments at every 20 cm length. There is not enough demand to do bifurcation on length , body type , 4x4 capability , GC etc.

I believe the current product line up have sole purpose of increasing adoption. As on today I see ZS ev, Nexon, XUV 400, Kona in same segment. I would judge C3 on whether it can compell an ICE buyer at its price point.
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 07:21   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Why are people comparing eC3 to Tiago?

Completely different in size and space.
Had tried to answer that below-

It was Citroen themselves that created the comparison by pricing petrol C3 close to tiago petrol models. People always tend to compare cars by price bracket. Because the petrol models were in a comparable price range, most people expected electric C3 to be close to tiago ev, plus some extra for larger battery.
Old 1st March 2023, 09:44   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Had tried to answer that below-

It was Citroen themselves that created the comparison by pricing petrol C3 close to tiago petrol models. People always tend to compare cars by price bracket. Because the petrol models were in a comparable price range, most people expected electric C3 to be close to tiago ev, plus some extra for larger battery.
Wierd logic ... sub4 meter segment and a small hatch segment are clear seperate whatever price band.
Old 1st March 2023, 10:04   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
To be honest this comparison would have been fairer if automatic transmission petrol variant price was compared to the EV counterpart, due to similar driving experience.
Well, I wanted to do that but couldn't. No AT on the C3. But hey, the trim level is *exactly* the same so that experience is comparable.
Old 1st March 2023, 10:16   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Wierd logic ... sub4 meter segment and a small hatch segment are clear seperate whatever price band.
Citroen has always called C3 a hatchback with suv type styling. Not positioned it as a Venue type micro SUV.

The rear seat width on neither C3 nor tiago is really comfortable for 3 abreast. So, both cars are also perceived as 4 seaters. The taller stance onviously gives C3 more headroom vs tiago's tapering roofline.

As for price bucket based comparison, it may sound wierd to you, but it is how most Indian families shop for a car. Can't wish away the market reality. You can find ample evidence in team-bhp forums for cross shopping across completely different segments if the pricing is in roughly similar price bracket. I have also personally seen people comparing buying Nexon EV/Max with Honda City/Hybrid! I would have thought those two are too far apart to figure in the same buyer's thought process .
Old 1st March 2023, 10:22   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Citroen has always called C3 a hatchback with suv type styling. Not positioned it as a Venue type micro SUV.
Actial dimensions and not how people have perceived its positioning

C3 is clearly way bigger than Tiago
Old 1st March 2023, 16:23   #144
BHPian

Re: Citroen eC3 Pricing Poll

Looks like everything about pricing pros and cons has already been said. Time for an opinion poll. Perhaps, the admin can create something like this, so we know team-bhp membership view on eC3:

1. Share your view of eC3 price compared to your expectation before the pricing announcement:
A. Good Price: Less than or same as what I expected
B. Bad Price: More expensive that what I expected

2. Vote only if you held a pre-booking for eC3:
A. Will buy it at announced price
B. Prefer Cancellation

Last edited by guptad42 : 1st March 2023 at 16:25. Reason: grammar, clarity
Old 1st March 2023, 16:28   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Actial dimensions and not how people have perceived its positioning

C3 is clearly way bigger than Tiago
Going thru the thread, it seems that the discussion has veered a little OT here.

My two cents - yes the C3 is "larger" than Tiago, but in the same context it is "smaller" than the Nexon. It is somewhere in-between, which puts it squarely up against the Punch. Now because Punch doesn't have an EV variant, we end up comparing the C3 to the only two EV's available at less than 20L. Try asking an ICE Nexon owner how their car compares to the ICE C3, you'll surely get a few chuckles

I would say, sizewise even though the C3 is larger than Tiago, the way Citroen have packaged it doesn't scream aspirational in any way. I had one of the first bookings of C3 petrol and I was one of the first ones to cancel it too.

Let's say that the eC3 is in a different category, somewhere in between the small hatch that is the Tiago, and the compact SUV that is the Nexon. Any comparison will be injustice to all three of them, because it's an apple-to-pear comparison from the start itself.

However, yes, the eC3 does come across as overpriced about 10-15% the same figure as what I felt for the ICE C3 as well. Paying the premium needs to be justified, and as someone said earlier in this thread itself, I am not very confident if Citroen will even be in the market till the 7-year battery warranty period that it currently offers.

So, at the end of the day everyone can choose as per their requirements, but there is no denying that the eC3 (and the C3 product lineup in general) is a wee bit overpriced.
crazydevil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:14   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
Going thru the thread, it seems that the discussion has veered a little OT here.

My two cents - yes the C3 is "larger" than Tiago, but in the same context it is "smaller" than the Nexon. It is somewhere in-between, which puts it squarely up against the Punch.
Nexon is 3993mm length
C3 is 3981 mm length
Punch is 3827 mm length
Tiago is 3765 mm length

no way c3 is same size as punch

c3 is a sub4 meter hatchback to take on magnite kiger nexon venue sonnet

tiago is a small hatchback

punch is a mini cross hatch with high gc
sagsaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:51   #147
BHPian

Citroen eC3 Review-img20230301wa0002.jpg

Citroen eC3 Review-img20230301wa0001.jpg

Citroen eC3 Review-img20230301wa0000.jpg

A quick Excel comparison of the dimensions. We need to consider more than just the length.
crazydevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 23:09   #148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
[

A quick Excel comparison of the dimensions. We need to consider more than just the length.
Length and width can be made up just by bumpers or side cladding. Most cars sold in the US is longer then the same EU or Asian model just due to the bumpers.

What you missed out in your excel comparison is the wheelbase which directly relates to the interior space such as knee and leg room, where the C3 has the edge.

A Honda Amaze has less interior space then a Honda Jazz or WRV due to wheelbase advantage of the Jazz platform and due to packaging, Jazz has more knee room then say a VW vento despite the vento having a edge in wheelbase.

So its not all black and white.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 23:16   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
What you missed out in your excel comparison is the wheelbase
WB = wheelbase, GC= ground clearance.

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough earlier.
crazydevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 01:31   #150

I think the problem with c3 both electric and petrol are they don’t tug at your heart strings. When some one pays around 10 lacs for a car they expect the interiors to be decent and have some basic features like adjustable mirrors etc. I test drove the c3 petrol turbo and absolutely loved it to bits, amazing suspension , great power train but it misses out on stuff my 6 year brio has like adjustable mirrors and manual dimming orvms etc. I was expecting the ev to improve on these aspects. It’s an amazing product all it needs is a bit more of everything. Bit more features, bit more power for the ev. Would I pay a lac more and buy a c3 turbo if it gets some essential features? Absolutely! eyes closed. Same argument can be extended for the ev as well
crimemastergogo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks