Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2023, 18:15   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Toyota claims going all-in on electric vehicles is bad for the environment

Solid state batteries have been made in R&D centers but so far even limited pilot run production has not yielded any good results, they are still too expensive and atleast some companies are still trying to solve the poor half life. Mass production dates have been slipping, with realistic prediction some time in 2030 or more.

Although in that article they mention 400kw charging speed. Rimac Nevera can charge at 500kw speed with existing battery tech, the only issue is that there is no 500kw chargers in the world yet in CCS 2. Tesla semi will be the first to use such powerfull chargers but may have a proprietary connector.
Old 8th February 2023, 12:19   #47
BHPian

Re: Toyota claims going all-in on electric vehicles is bad for the environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_eagle View Post
My relative in the US bought a Volvo XC40 last week.

Time to fully-charge the car - 6hrs; On fast-charging - 2hrs;

I rest my case (for now) against EVs.
The Volvo XC40 recharge supports 150 KW charging, where 10% to 80% would only take 28 minutes, that gives a range of 240 to 300 kms. Even with 50/60 KW chargers commonly available even in India, 1 hour of charging will give close to 200 Km range. If you start with 100% charge, then you can do ~350 Km, then +200 with 1 hour charging. How often do people do more than 550 Km in a day, even in US? The max/day we have hit on a one week road trip in US was ~300 miles/480 kms.

There will always be folks for whom the current EV ranges are not enough, but fact is there are enough people for whom this is sufficient and hence every EV currently produced is getting sold and most have waiting time.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed