Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 15:56   #151
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan007 View Post
Hi Raghav,

Appreciate your willingness to help. I joined a few weeks back; hence I do not see the option to DM.

Is there a way you can DM me, I think then I can reply.
I also could not send a message to you. Best, method to get a quote from Sundaram is to generate a quote on their website. Somebody will call you in response to that. They will give you 8-10% lesser quote (after you confirm your vehicle engine and chassis number to them) with additional insurance features thrown in.
raghavv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:13   #152
BHPian

At this price, Ioniq 5 is an incredible value for money. I can’t think of any other car that gives a better bang for buck at the moment. BMW just hiked prices for X1 by massive 3 lakh.

If we discount CKD vs CBU argument. I can only think of two main features that Kia has over Ioniq 5. AWD and Head up display.

This is where Ioniq scores:

-100 mm Longer wheel base practically translates into more space. Ioniq 5 is easily more spacious of the two cars.

-Vision room coupled with light grey interiors almost feel like japandi aesthetic of a corner facing apartment glistening with abundant day light. Hyundai wanted to create that living room ambience.

-Proper integration of relaxation seats (zero gravity). Relaxation seats won’t fully activate if rear seat isn’t pushed back completely. For this reason in Ioniq 5 there are buttons on the passenger seat so that rear seats can be slid back and forth from the front itself. I’m assuming EV6 doesn’t have these buttons.

-Electrically sliding and heated rear seats

-Ottoman seats for front

-Rear window curtain.

-20 inch wheels against 19 of Kia

-larger boot space

-Max charge rate of 350 kw against 230 of Kia

-Magnetic plate on dashboard may be irrelevant for some but is my personal favourite. Has immense potential to stick your phone flat.
chohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:24   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavv View Post
I also could not send a message to you. Best, method to get a quote from Sundaram is to generate a quote on their website. Somebody will call you in response to that. They will give you 8-10% lesser quote (after you confirm your vehicle engine and chassis number to them) with additional insurance features thrown in.

Alright, let me try that.

Again appreciate your help and quick reply.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:31   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanbabu View Post
Went through the entire thread( I own a Ev6 AWD and clocked 5k on it) and have been sore since I heard ioniq launch.
Personally liked ioniq 5 looks originally, and but at that time it was not even announced for India. But now quite happy about Ev6, but comparison with ioniq is mixed bag
  • Ev6 performance and range is much better
  • CBU)(better quality?) vs CKD
  • ioniq is definitely pocket friendly and has all bells and whistles at an unbelievable price
  • looks wise it is polar opposite, and retro vs future
  • looking at specs, it seemed like ioniq has a few more create comforts? Rear seat ventilation, 12 point adjustment (against 10 on ev6)?

Some pointers
- the whirring sound is not from the motor, it's artifically added to give a sense of speed, and you can turn it off or choose different sounds
- the interiors are super quality, and wasn't expecting this from Kia
- if you're an "economic ICE driver", you see poor range on this. What I mean is my driving where I coast and use brakes minimally and don't revv the car much didn't help in my range. Fellow drivers were getting 7km per unit (battery is 78.4 units), I was barely getting 6.
- the charging speed is not a major issue. I charge occasionally on 50kwh or 130kwh chargers when I spend less than 30min in sessions (if I have at least 30-40% charge), but one AC chargers (7/11KWH) it takes over 8-10 hours.
- AC chargers also rebalances cells which increases range
- there is a hidden "engineering mode", similar to unlocking/rooting mobile phone and it opens at least few dozen features which are otherwise not available
Glad to see you here!

I’m picking up my Ioniq on the 17th. So I can do a side by side with my EV6 soon.
venom_op is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:50   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chohan View Post
At this price, Ioniq 5 is an incredible value for money. I can’t think of any other car that gives a better bang for buck at the moment. BMW just hiked prices for X1 by massive 3 lakh.

If we discount CKD vs CBU argument. I can only think of two main features that Kia has over Ioniq 5. AWD and Head up display.

-100 mm Longer wheel base practically translates into more space. Ioniq 5 is easily more spacious of the two cars.

-Vision room coupled with light grey interiors almost feel like japandi aesthetic of a corner facing apartment glistening with abundant day light. Hyundai wanted to create that living room ambience.

-Proper integration of relaxation seats (zero gravity). Relaxation seats won’t fully activate if rear seat isn’t pushed back completely. For this reason in Ioniq 5 there are buttons on the passenger seat so that rear seats can be slid back and forth from the front itself. I’m assuming EV6 doesn’t have these buttons.

-Ottoman seats for front

-Rear window curtain.

-larger boot space

-Magnetic plate on dashboard may be irrelevant for some but is my personal favourite. Has immense potential to stick your phone flat.
I want to confirm, does the Indian edition do come with rear seat ventilation? If yes, that is really awesome!! I don't know how many cars in India (even at a 1Cr price range) has this feature.

You missed on major pointer that EV6 has over Ioniq - 321 HP (read 0-100 in 5sec), Ioniq has half the power (7sec+ 0-100). You can really get the "pin you in the seat..." thing that thesidmania mentioned, experience in EV6, in fact that's one of the party tricks I show every time I get a new "guest" in my car. Switch to sports mode, slow down and then one push! You can do it in a short 200m stretch also

Also, in the last ~6Months of ownership, I found very incremental value between at high charging speeds. Firstly it is rare to find chargers above 130Kwh (Shell pump chargers are 130, other common DC chargers I find are 50). And it is also not linear time difference as you increase wattage (50 doesn't take 2x of 130kwh, 130 to 230 was maybe 25-30% faster).

But yeah, overall I agree Ioniq5 is the winner if you consider all aspects!
narayanbabu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:51   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chohan View Post

-Ottoman seats for front

-Rear window curtain.

-larger boot space

So some points:

- 100mm wheelbase doesn’t make as much of a difference as the height of the cabin. The EV6 has a low sleek silhouette but the legroom is already massive. So the legroom benefit in the Ioniq won’t be apparent. But the overall space is definitely better.

- The relaxation seats work perfectly because the EV6 doesn’t have a sliding rear seat! So it will work perfectly every time. No need to worry about if the seat is all the way back.

- Ioniq will definitely be more comfortable, especially in the back. That is why we have chosen it for the boss of the house. While heated seats seem impractical for India, let me just say, it feels quite nice to turn on the AC on full blast but turn on the heated seats after a long day at work. Feels like a hot stone massage, melting away the stress. Or maybe it’s just me.

- The 20s are actually more of a detriment than a benefit. While they look cool, they are bad for both the ride and the range. The Ioniq already has less range than the Kia because of the slightly smaller battery (72.6 in the Ioniq vs 77.4 in the Kia). But the range further reduces with the bigger wheels than on the Ioniq. Also you’ll have to be more careful on speed bumps and bad roads than the EV6. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about bad roads when driving the EV6. The car has taken some bad roads with aplomb. The side walls are pretty thick thanks to the 19 inch wheels.

- Since both cars share the same architecture, the charge rate is actually 235KW DC charging for both. And practically it is one of the BEST features of these cars. The only other cars that have the 800V architecture are the Taycan and e-Tron GT, both of which costs upwards of 2cr.

- I didn’t try using the magnetic plate with my iPhone but I’m pretty sure it won’t work the same way as MagSafe. But honestly I’d love to be proven wrong. It would make life easy. Probably needs a third party mount.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:52   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I want to confirm, does the Indian edition do come with rear seat ventilation? If yes, that is really awesome!! I don't know how many cars in India (even at a 1Cr price range) has this feature.
Rear seats are heated only (no ventilation unfortunately)
Front seats are heated and ventilated both.

Last edited by koolkunz : 14th April 2023 at 19:56. Reason: Trimmed quote
koolkunz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:53   #158
BHPian

Quote:

You missed on major pointer that EV6 has over Ioniq - 321 HP (read 0-100 in 5sec), Ioniq has half the power (7sec+ 0-100). You can really get the "pin you in the seat..." thing that thesidmania mentioned, experience in EV6, in fact that's one of the party tricks I show every time I get a new "guest" in my car. Switch to sports mode, slow down and then one push! You can do it in a short 200m stretch also

Also, in the last ~6Months of ownership, I found very incremental value between at high charging speeds. Firstly it is rare to find chargers above 130Kwh (Shell pump chargers are 130, other common DC chargers I find are 50). And it is also not linear time difference as you increase wattage (50 doesn't take 2x of 130kwh, 130 to 230 was maybe 25-30% faster).

But yeah, overall I agree Ioniq5 is the winner if you consider all aspects!
It has rear seat heating. Not ventilation.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:54   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Front seats get ventilation and heating. Rear seats get only heating.

While EV6 feels sportier in the front seats, Ioniq 5 has a much better rear bench experience IMHO.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:54   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
It has rear seat heating. Not ventilation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
Rear seats are heated only (no ventilation unfortunately)
Front seats are heated and ventilated both.
Still awesome, my verdict stands :-)
narayanbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:02   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Still awesome, my verdict stands :-)
I feel like it’s advantageous for families with people who are perennially cold.

You can turn up the AC the way you like and just have them turn on the seat heating to stay warm.
Old 14th April 2023, 20:06   #162
BHPian

Got the charger installed! Here are some pics:

Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review-b27af788a8674082931c921ea529cbd4.jpegHyundai Ioniq 5 Review-ef9f0292e30e4960aadae624756f528a.jpeg

The light turns blue when switched on, and blinks while charging.

There are two RFID tags for access control.

The mobile app supposedly works too using Bluetooth, but right now the SpinEV app on both iOS and Android just hangs after punching in the OTP. I’ll try again after a few days.
ricky_speed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:08   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
Got the charger installed! Here are some pics:

Attachment 2440135Attachment 2440136

The light turns blue when switched on, and blinks while charging.

There are two RFID tags for access control.

The mobile app supposedly works too using Bluetooth, but right now the SpinEV app on both iOS and Android just hangs after punching in the OTP. I’ll try again after a few days.
Can you please measure and report how the long the charging cable is. Need to decide where to put my charger based on that.
Old 14th April 2023, 20:14   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
Can you please measure and report how the long the charging cable is. Need to decide where to put my charger based on that.
It’s 4.5m, but you don’t want to have it hanging in the air so people and animals don’t trip. So account for distance to floor and back up to the charging port.

Hyundai offers 10m cable from your 40amp-3phase MCB till the Exicom charger free of cost. My original estimate was 12m, but it turned out to be 10m so I will be given a refund for the excess amount I paid.
ricky_speed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 13:56   #165
BHPian

Hyundai is Messing up big time. Just got a call that the car is still in transit and won’t be here before the 16th. Then they want to take the car, drive it down to Nashik. Register it. Take it back to thane and then call us for a celebration. Which will take 3-4 days and is pointless because I’m flying out of the country on the 18th! Such horrible lethargic behavior from them! This is despite their Electric vehicle department manager promising me delivery by the 14th under any circumstance.

Ridiculous planning on their part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks