Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2023, 17:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
My EV of choice (when bought in india) with an unlimited budget would still be the Atto3 simply for the superior battery tech.
I am with you on this. If by any chance they upgrade the car with cooled seats. I would really consider it with much more interest.

Cooled seats is sorely missed at that price range. They should have somehow retrofitted them. The AUS versions only have heated seats if my memory serves right.
TheRandomGuy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 20:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Why do car companies undermine the importance of a rear wiper on a hatchback / SUV's ?
This is Hyundai scoring an own goal. Their marketing people have tried claiming that the aerodynamics negates the need for a rear wiper but real-world users disagree - it does need one and it's a bit stupid of Hyundai to not provide one.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 21:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
This is a superb car. Two negatives that everyone should consider before buying this:

1. The car has an NMC battery. If I am buying an EV today, I would prefer to have it with an LFP battery. They preserve their health longer and is a lot safer at both higher temperatures as well as after physical damage. They are also more eco-friendly as they dont have Cobalt. Hyundai already has had fire issues with their previous long-range Kona batteries.

My EV of choice (when bought in India) with an unlimited budget would still be the Atto3 simply for the superior battery tech.
There are hundreds of EV models with NMC batteries without any issues. In fact, the same Hyundai Kona's twin sister Kia Niro also has an NMC battery from SK innovation which had no issues. The particular issue was with LG Chem's NMC batteries which also impacted Chevy Bolt. This was due to a manufacturing issue in LG Chem's manufacturing process. LFP batteries are safer compared to NMC in theory but a lot depends on the actual manufacturing as well. There were many incidents with BYD cars in China but you will not see those making much news worldwide just like anything else from China. Tata Nexon has an LFP battery but it still had an incident in India.

Tesla has been exclusively using NCA chemistry batteries for over a decade and even now uses the same chemistry in all its high-end variants of Model 3 and Model Y and all variants of S and X. NMC batteries are relatively safer compared to NCA in theory but Teslas are working fine for more than a decade.

Here are some of the companies that are using only NMC batteries in their cars across the world:
Mercedes,
BMW,
Audi,
VW, Skoda, Seat
Porsche,
Ford,
Jaguar,
Hyundai, Kia, Genesis,
Stellantis (Opel/Vauxhall, Citroen, Peugeot, Jeep,...)
Most of the Chinese brands (Nio, GAC, Xpeng, etc...) in their all high-end models and top-end variants.

The major reason for Tesla switching to LFP batteries for their low-end variants of Model and Model Y is their price and availability. Not for superior battery technology or safety.
sri_tesla is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 22:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 44.95 lakhs.
I've said it before and will say it again. Rupee for rupee, performance for performance, tech for tech, design for design, this has to be one of the most "value for money" cars in India (I'm only talking about cars that are available in the major developed markets).

A car, that competes with the likes of BMW X3, Mercedes Benz GLC, Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 etc. on price, size, performance, and features sells for about half the price in India.

Comparison here.

What's not to like? Bravo, Hyundai!!

PS: Also people who are comparing this to BYD Atto 3, is like comparing Creta to Tuscon. It's just a segment smaller and cheaper.
inwester is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 07:41   #35
BHPian

572 litres of bootspace? Looks like measurement methodology is different here. This definitely does not look like any bigger than Hector's boot space.
Old 14th February 2023, 08:50   #36

The car looks amazing but those rims are hideous in my opinion.
ShashankU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:45   #37
BHPian

If I had 45 lakhs plus to burn, this is the car I would buy. Hyundai reliability, 3 meter wheelbase, ultra comfortable. The only thing missing is a Playstation that I can connect to the screen inside the car.
pepega is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:47   #38
BHPian

Has anyone else been contacted by charger installation company for feasibility study?
Mine was done yesterday and they estimated that wiring needed for my house will be 38 meters out of which only 10 meters will be free and I will have to pay around Rs. 19k for the remaining 28 meters.

Wanted to confirm if this is actually the Hyundai policy or not? And if so where is it documented?
koolkunz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
Has anyone else been contacted by charger installation company for feasibility study?
Mine was done yesterday and they estimated that wiring needed for my house will be 38 meters out of which only 10 meters will be free and I will have to pay around Rs. 19k for the remaining 28 meters.

Wanted to confirm if this is actually the Hyundai policy or not? And if so where is it documented?
The feasibility study was done weeks ago at my place. Yea that is how it works. Basically the company provides 10m of earthing and power cables. You can probably get it done for cheaper with your own electrical contractor. Have a word with him and get the cable pulled to the charging location minus 10m. Use the free cable they provide beyond that point. It will save you some money.

38m is a lot of distance. Check with your electrical contractor if they actually need that much. The people who installed my Kia charger were pretty incompetent as well. All the manufacturers are getting chargers installed by the same third party company out of Delhi I believe. But their services outside Delhi are pretty bad.
venom_op is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
The feasibility study was done weeks ago at my place. Yea that is how it works. Basically the company provides 10m of earthing and power cables. You can probably get it done for cheaper with your own electrical contractor. Have a word with him and get the cable pulled to the charging location minus 10m. Use the free cable they provide beyond that point. It will save you some money.

38m is a lot of distance. Check with your electrical contractor if they actually need that much. The people who installed my Kia charger were pretty incompetent as well. All the manufacturers are getting chargers installed by the same third party company out of Delhi I believe. But their services outside Delhi are pretty bad.
If I get the remaining cable installed by myself, is it okay to have a joint for connecting the two wires?

Edit: Also I just calculated the length myself with a measuring tape and it is only 27-28m. So request everyone to beware and do proper measurements.

Last edited by koolkunz : 14th February 2023 at 12:14.
koolkunz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
If I get the remaining cable installed by myself, is it okay to have a joint for connecting the two wires?

Edit: Also I just calculated the length myself with a measuring tape and it is only 27-28m. So request everyone to beware and do proper measurements.
No no. You’ll have to install a junction box at that location with MCB/ELCBs. They will take power from that junction to power the charger.
venom_op is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 13:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
No no. You’ll have to install a junction box at that location with MCB/ELCBs. They will take power from that junction to power the charger.
Ok I understand, thanks. Will check with my local electrician about this.
Old 14th February 2023, 13:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The feasibility study was done weeks ago at my place.

Is there any reason to select between single phase vs three-phase?

Last edited by srgntpepper : 14th February 2023 at 13:27.
Old 14th February 2023, 13:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Is there any reason to select between single phase vs three-phase?
Based on the supply available the max charging speed will change. If you have a 3 phase it will charge at 11kw. If it’s single phase then it’ll be 7.5kW. It depends on what is available at your install location.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 16:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post

Tesla has been exclusively using NCA chemistry batteries for over a decade and even now uses the same chemistry in all its high-end variants of Model 3 and Model Y and all variants of S and X. NMC batteries are relatively safer compared to NCA in theory but Teslas are working fine for more than a decade.
NCA and NMC were used all this time but I feel there will be a massive switch to LFP now.
Safety is one aspect. There are 3 other reasons why I feel LFP will take over the EV industry shortly.

First one is that it has iron which makes it cheaper and more eco-friendly than cobalt.

Second, is that they degrade much slower. As an owner of an NMC car (ZS EV 2021), my car has lost about 15km out of the initial 336km in about 25000km of driving. Others have experienced similar degradation. My prediction is that it will lose about 10-15% by the time i hit 1L km. LFP batteries dont degrade as fast. Theoretically will last 3 times longer.

Third, LFP batteries dont degrade faster at higher SoC. The above mentioned figures can be achieved if the user keeps the battery between 50-80% as much as possible. LFP batteries have no issue being taken to 100% every time. This basically gives it more usable range and less baby-sitting.

The disadvantage is that they are heavier and perform worse in colder conditions. The latter is not a problem in India.
lina is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks