Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 02:24   #1

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review

Context:

I purchased Audi Q4 40 SUV 2023 in Dec 15, 2022. Around that time my office required me to be there 3 days / week. Apart from those 3 days I’ve to take my son 3 days for extracurricular activities.

• Total commute per week is around 550miles – 600 miles.

My commute every morning:

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7550.jpg

• Monthly commute is going to be 2200-2400 miles (3520 km- 3840 km)
Gas prices in US was soaring and I decided to go for EV. The reasoning
was, I’ll save on gas prices and that money will go towards new car
EMI.

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7534.jpg

Why AUDI:

Audi was not the choice. I was driving a Mitsubishi Outlander since 2016. It did not give me any trouble except routine maintenance. It had around 46000 miles(I was living in a different area where commute was minimal). I had plans to keep this vehicle and buy a Chevrolet Bolt EUV.

Chevy EUV recently slashed their price, and it was coming around $34000 which is cheapest. However, it only had 50 KWH battery and the charging speed was significantly higher in todays standards. 0%-80% would take more than one hour where other cars typically take 30 mins.

The biggest selling point was the price and range. It had range of 247 miles which is more than enough for daily driving. Then we can charge overnight. Road trips will be difficult because of slow charging speed. I went ahead and booked with $500 and delivery time was 1st week of Jan.

My wife was kind of unhappy with my decision. Some of my friend recommended to sell gas car and get a better EUV. Wife suggested AUDI Q4 which had a starting price of $49000. This for an AUDI is significantly cheap considering its full electric.

I’m 5’11, 198 LB. My friend got a Tesla Model 3 and tried to squeeze myself in driver seat. Unfortunately, it was too uncomfortable for me. I was sad that this was the only Tesla model I can afford and now I can’t fit in. Trust me, I tried 5-6 times and even thought of toning down so I could fit in Model 3. So, the only option was a Model Y, which was significantly expensive.
With Tesla out of question, Audi Price tag of $ 49000 was very welcoming.

Buying Experience:

On a Sunday afternoon we 3 went to local Audi dealership. Took a test drive and were satisfied. Please mind that I’m coming from Mitsubishi, never driven a proper German brand. There were 4 color options, White, Black, Blue, and Gray. I picked on Grey because I liked it and it’s the only one that’s free. (You know which one took precedence).

This time I came to know that Audi has 3 trims:
Base Premium: This one is $49000, surprisingly has all things which I need.
Premium Plus: Has Sonos sound system, AUDI puddle light when you open door, Interior lighting package Adaptive Cruise assist and other goodies. This one is $57840.

Prestige: Has all bells and whistles.

Base model is not available at all, Period. It has waiting period of 1 year. More on this later. I had to go for next trim @ $ 57840. They said they have one available at a different dealer and get things ready in 3 hours. I agreed and they told us to wait.

After waiting for an hour, they informed that they’ll update me next day. I requested for buying process and was told that I need to get preapproved from lender (Bank) or I can go for Audi Finance.
Audi finance gave me interest of 6.99 and $7000 for Outlander. I declined and told them I’ll arrange my own finances.

Spoke to Bank of America and they offered 6.24 %and another lender 5.74 %. I got the preapproved letter ready which is typically valid for one month.
Days passed by and I did not hear any news from Audi dealer. I started calling all SF Bay Area Audi dealer and even Sacramento. None had the Base Model, all of them gave me a reason that there is no demand for Base Model.
I work in Supply Chain IT and understand that demand is triggered from the lowest echelon and cascades to the upper organizational echelons. Typically, then S&OP sessions tries to gauge demand for next 18-24 months. If I believe Audi, then all the customers are asking for higher price trim and none are interested in lowest trim. Even through lowest trim has most of bells and whistles. Anyways, it is what it is.

I got a call from San Jose AUDI which is near to my office and 70 miles from home that they have 2 grey ones available. I decided to go that evening after office.Went there, took a test drive (I’ve already taken test drive earlier). The sales agent started explaining the buying process. To his surprise, I told him that I already have approval letter from lender.

I’ll try to narrate the conversation below:

Agent: If you’ve approval, you can buy today. Just pay the deposit and drive home.

Me: I’m not carrying cash or cheque, I just came from office and If I drive Audi, what’ll happen to the Outlander. How can I take it to my home?

Agent: Let me talk to finance head, see what he recommends. I stay near to your house; I can drive your car to my home. You can collect it tomorrow. Any one of your friends can drive you to my house.

Me: That works for me.

Finance head: Looking at your credit history, we can let you pay 50% of down payment through Credit Card and rest you can pay via cheque tomorrow.

That was it, I drove an Audi paying through Credit Card and dropped cheque next day at the sales agents home and picked Outlander.
Later sold Outlander to a company called SHIFT at $13485.
Imagine the surprise my wife and kid had when I showed up in an Audi that evening.

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7535.jpg

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7645.jpg

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7647.jpg

Ownership experience:

Please understand where I’m coming from. I’m a person who had driven Maruti Wagon R, Mitsubishi Outlander, and few rental cars in my initial days.
I always dreamt of owning a German brand especially BMW, and here I am driving an electric Audi.

Tesla is an obvious choice when going for electric. I also contempolated on buying a Non tesla but eventually felt Audi is a better 'Vehicle'.

Fit and Finish is way better than Tesla. The same day my neighbor bought a Tesla Model 3, sat in Audi, and was visibly upset and regretted buying Tesla.
Other friend (who suggested to sell gas car and buy good one) bought Model Y. Buying experience was horrible for Tesla. They give you the parking lot number, which is an open parking lot. It doesn’t matter if it’s raining, hot or snowing. That day it was raining. They tell us to download Tesla app and go from there. That’s it. You’re all by yourself. I was holding the umbrella as he was trying to figure out how to open the door. Then took a drive to become familiar and then drove off. No one was there. His brand-new Model Y had wind coming from windshield. There was a gap and Tesla decided to fix it, it’ll take 4 weeks. He’s now fighting for a loaner. Another friend’s model Y had the front bumper came off when he tried to move through a puddle. We all realized that you buy Tesla for technology and infrastructure and not for the vehicle.

For me ride and comfort in my Audi is excellent. My decision may be biased as this is my first luxury vehicle and I don’t have anything to compare it with. What I want to check is, how Audi holds up with high mileage. This is a daily drive for me.

Positives:

• Charging time is ok for me. Audi claims 0%-80% in 35 mins, which is
acceptable.
• Ride comfort and SUV like feeling.
• SONOS sound system.
• QUIET- no engine, minimal road noise.
• Handling
• Space: Back seat is way comfortable compared to other cars. Audi has
really managed space.
• Audi provides charger.

Negatives:

• Electrify America has largest non-Tesla charging infrastructure in US.
They are part of VW group. Audi only gives 250 KWH of free charging. I
was expecting to get more free charge.
• My Audi app: they need to step up their game.
• If they’re advertising lower price, they need to make sure customers
have the option to choose from. It’s sad that customers don’t have the
option.
• No spare tire.

Remarks:
I’m happy camper. I spend almost 4 hours daily and Audi driver seat is a good place to be in. I don’t care about gas price anymore.

Audi Q4 is not at all popular, my car is kind of exclusive on road.
Good thing is, Tesla opening supercharger for non-Tesla cars. Now we can charge at a Tesla supercharger location.

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7648.jpg

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7651.jpg

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7652.jpg

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7663.jpg

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_7664.jpg

Thanks for reading.
See you on the road.
CARNAMA is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review

Thanks for sharing! Thread moved to the Electric Car section.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 00:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNAMA View Post

I’m 5’11, 198 LB. My friend got a Tesla Model 3 and tried to squeeze myself in driver seat. Unfortunately, it was too uncomfortable for me. I was sad that this was the only Tesla model I can afford and now I can’t fit in. Trust me, I tried 5-6 times and even thought of toning down so I could fit in Model 3. So, the only option was a Model Y, which was significantly expensive.
With Tesla out of question, Audi Price tag of $ 49000 was very welcoming
Congratulations. That is a beautiful looking Audi. I really liked the front and interiors of the car. Also, the lovely matt grayish finish.

Good to know about this model as I never even heard about a Q4 Full Electric. I guess all OEM's other than Tesla are really stepping up the EV game.

However, just a quick point to your Tesla Model 3 comment. I'm 6ft.1 Feet and around 220lbs and I am super comfortable in the Tesla Model 3 (In fact, the seats are so comfortable that it feels like cushions and not seats which in a way is not a good thing as mine is a performance).

Only hiccup with the car is ingress and Egress which I am still getting used to as lost the habit of a sedan 5+ years ago.

I'm curious to know how is the technology in the car compared to a Tesla. It would help if you can list down all the cool features that make owning and living with the Audi more fun.

Also, what's your feedback on the SONOS music system? I am a huge fan of SONOS and first time I am hearing of an OEM with a SONOS.

Btw, as I type this, I am in your neck of the woods.

Cheers and Enjoy this beautiful car.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 02:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Context:
It doesn’t matter if it’s raining, hot or snowing. That day it was raining. They tell us to download Tesla app and go from there. That’s it. You’re all by yourself.
Congratulations on the new car!

Although it's revolutionary that Tesla has made dealerships obsolete, Tesla's delivery experience can be compared to what we usually get when taking delivery of a Honda Activa.

The Audi Q4 e-tron is the first car with SONOS audio, and I am very eager to know how it fares.
da3mn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 03:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulations. That is a beautiful looking Audi. I really liked the front and interiors of the car. Also, the lovely matt grayish finish.

Good to know about this model as I never even heard about a Q4 Full Electric. I guess all OEM's other than Tesla are really stepping up the EV game.

However, just a quick point to your Tesla Model 3 comment. I'm 6ft.1 Feet and around 220lbs and I am super comfortable in the Tesla Model 3 (In fact, the seats are so comfortable that it feels like cushions and not seats which in a way is not a good thing as mine is a performance).

Only hiccup with the car is ingress and Egress which I am still getting used to as lost the habit of a sedan 5+ years ago.

I'm curious to know how is the technology in the car compared to a Tesla. It would help if you can list down all the cool features that make owning and living with the Audi more fun.

Also, what's your feedback on the SONOS music system? I am a huge fan of SONOS and first time I am hearing of an OEM with a SONOS.

Btw, as I type this, I am in your neck of the woods.

Cheers and Enjoy this beautiful car.

Here you go, I've listed cool features.

- Traffic sign recognition .In some places, it shows traffic light and also
weight time at the signal. It's really cool.

- Audi adaptive cruise with lane assist. You can drive hands free. At regular
interval , just have to tap the wheel. No need to grab it.

- Interior warning: It'll anounce if you've left your mobile inside vehicle.

- Vitual Cockpit: We can get AUDI navigation map in gauuge cluster. (not
Apple/Gmap)

- Dual pane acoustic glass for noise reduction.

- Heated steering wheel.

- Ambient lighting: I think this has become quite common.

- Wireless charging

- Wireless Apple car Play/Android Auto

- Audi Etrom route planner: Takes in to account current charge and proposes
routes including charging destinations.I can also set up EA as my preferred
charging location.

- Hands free tailgate.

- Full panoramic roof which can be opened as well.

SONOS: I'm not audiophile, but this is pretty good. I can play loud and there is absolutely no distortion.
CARNAMA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Context:

I purchased Audi Q4 40 SUV 2023 in Dec 15, 2022.

The biggest selling point was the price and range. It had range of 247 miles which is more than enough for daily driving.
Love it!. Beautiful car, color and overall a decent package.

Smart buy and congratulations!

I definitely would've bought this Audi Q4 e-tron (or the 50 version) when I purchased the Model Y (late 2020) if it was available. I think that time only the regular e-tron was available.

How much range are you getting in real life? See Model Y may claim 316 mi, but I hardly ever got more than 250 mi which is close to yours if you get the full claimed range. Would like to know what's the true efficiency you're getting in mi/kWh or Wh/mi?

Enjoy and happy motoring!
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Love it!. Beautiful car, color and overall a decent package.

Smart buy and congratulations!

I definitely would've bought this Audi Q4 e-tron (or the 50 version) when I purchased the Model Y (late 2020) if it was available. I think that time only the regular e-tron was available.

How much range are you getting in real life? See Model Y may claim 316 mi, but I hardly ever got more than 250 mi which is close to yours if you get the full claimed range. Would like to know what's the true efficiency you're getting in mi/kWh or Wh/mi?

Enjoy and happy motoring!
I'm getting as advertised. Audi seems to be pretty conservative. My regular miles/ kwh is 3.4. As i hit heavy traffic it shoots up to 4.5. Also these are direct import from Germany. In Europe the same model has 316 miles. I searched different forum and they say that European WLTP is much lenient than American EPA. That's why in the US range is 265 miles.

I simply divide 265 by available KWH which is 77. For me ideal miles/ kwh is 3.4. I get that in my daily commute . But in elevation that'll drop to around 2.4. Need to take it out on a long road trip.
CARNAMA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I’m 5’11, 198 LB. My friend got a Tesla Model 3 and tried to squeeze myself in driver seat. Unfortunately, it was too uncomfortable for me. I was sad that this was the only Tesla model I can afford and now I can’t fit in. Trust me, I tried 5-6 times and even thought of toning down so I could fit in Model 3.

Buying experience was horrible for Tesla. They give you the parking lot number, which is an open parking lot. It doesn’t matter if it’s raining, hot or snowing. That day it was raining. They tell us to download Tesla app and go from there. That’s it. You’re all by yourself. I was holding the umbrella as he was trying to figure out how to open the door. Then took a drive to become familiar and then drove off. No one was there.
First of all, safe and happy miles with your new ride!

Very surprising that you did not fit in a model 3. I am 6'3" and about 200-210lbs and I fit very comfortably in a model 3. Even have a lot of room at the max position. Only I cannot sit behind myself with driver's seat in my position.

And too bad about some of your Friend's experiences with Tesla. I personally think Tesla's no non-sense delivery approach to cars is one of my favorite things. Have heard the same from a lot of other Tesla owners. I can understand not everyone will be happy with this approach. It is what it is
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 15:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I personally think Tesla's no non-sense delivery approach to cars is one of my favorite things. Have heard the same from a lot of other Tesla owners. I can understand not everyone will be happy with this approach. It is what it is
Like you said it's a love it or hate it type of thing. I didn't find it particularly easy as I didn't watch a lot of videos prior to going for Tesla delivery. e.g. I didn't know how to "start" and drive off, or adjust mirrors or steering etc. Figured it out in a few minutes and we were out but if someone had explained it to me in a couple of minutes it would've been better.

For the record I also don't like the extravaganza in India with cake and ribbon cutting and unveiling and family pictures etc. and chose to just pick up the car without the ceremonials this time at Kia. I also told them to remove 100% of the plastics and stickers (like how they do it in the US).

Personally for me, it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other, i.e. leaving you alone high and dry vs. whole town partying at the dealership, but hey, whatever floats ones boat.
inwester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine the surprise my wife and kid had when I showed up in an Audi that evening.
Congratulations on the new car and happy motoring.

The best part is surprising your family by driving home in the new car, specially after the initial delays at the other dealer. The expression of your kid must have been priceless.
SteeringWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 20:41   #11

Congrats on your purchase - I'm sure you'll love this car! And welcome to the Etron club!

My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_1171.jpg

I personally have an E-Tron that I picked up back in May '21. I'll probably do an ownership review at some point. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about that frustrating myAudi app!
tecfrek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 23:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This moment is worth cherishing
Old 4th March 2023, 03:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I purchased Audi Q4 40 SUV 2023 in Dec 15, 2022.
Tesla is an obvious choice when going for electric. I also contempolated on buying a Non tesla but eventually felt Audi is a better 'Vehicle'.
Positives:

• Space: Back seat is way comfortable compared to other cars. Audi has
really managed space.
Negatives:
• My Audi app: they need to step up their game.

Good thing is, Tesla opening supercharger for non-Tesla cars. Now we can charge at a Tesla supercharger location.
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm in the market for a Model Y and even though I get some pretty good incentives for buying a Y right now (being a Tesla employee + potentially qualifying for federal $7500 rebate), I am still curious about checking out others. Recently checked out Mustang Mach E, have driven the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq, and now very curious about the Audi - didn't even know this one existed!

Can you share some pictures of the rear seat? Have you tried long distance drives with people in the rear seat yet? (If yes, would be great to hear their feedback - especially around the rear middle seat comfort, floor hump in the middle of the rear floor if any etc) Finally, how's the trunk and frunk space? (If it has a frunk)

What are the features available through the app? Is it free to use? Would like to know where the Germans are w.r.t app technology.

Yeah Superchargers opening up definitely bodes well for other EVs - more the merrier!
Old 9th March 2023, 02:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm in the market for a Model Y and even though I get some pretty good incentives for buying a Y right now (being a Tesla employee + potentially qualifying for federal $7500 rebate), I am still curious about checking out others. Recently checked out Mustang Mach E, have driven the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq, and now very curious about the Audi - didn't even know this one existed!
Interesting. When I was researching to buy an EV, I was quite adamant that I will not bow down to the pressure of buying only a Tesla which seems to be the default choice out there in the EV market.

So, I took a test drive of the Kia EV6, Polestar 2, Ionia and briefly sat in the Mach E ( did not test drive as it was brand new and delivered to a friend in Chicago)

Only car that I missed test driving was the BMW i4 /i4 M450, as it was way beyond my budget and I didn't want to get a BMW EV. Apart from it's high price, I had low confidence in a new player like BMW to build good EV's.

Never knew existence of this Audi.

After above test drives, I drove the Y and 3 back to back and immediately realized that Tesla is 5X (if not 10X) times ahead of the competition from all aspects (Battery Technology, Charging Convenience, Performance, Handling, In-Car Technology etc).

The only aspect I loved about the other EV brands is they definetly have a better build quality over a Tesla.

Would be curious to know what you decide finally. Goodluck !

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th March 2023 at 02:36.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 01:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Would be curious to know what you decide finally. Goodluck !
Yeah I am definitely trying my best to NOT let my Tesla-bias creep into my decision and trying to make an objective choice here - my Model 3 was an equal split between brain and heart, but for this next purchase I'm trying to simply buy the most practical vehicle I can considering family needs for next few years.

Mach E quote came out to $66k for the California Rt 1 edition (single motor RWD, 312 miles), and my wife is a Ford employee so gets some $2k off due to that (still bigger discount than free FSD lol because its a discount on base price rather than giving me an add-on that I may not even want) - but we were put off by the dealership experience here at Fremont Ford because the sales and finance guys were pressuring us with usual sales tactics ("offer only stands until Sunday evening, then prices will go up")
My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-849d3a8b0c624b779c87835b3ab4decd.jpg

Model Y that I already placed an order for (just before the latest $1500 price increase in Feb) is also adding up to the same cost with options (tax not shown below) (I added tow hitch, white interior [less claustrophobic] and 7 seats [because Y not, I'm the tallest in my family at 5'6"]).
My Audi Q4 E-Tron EV Review-img_1303-1.png

So it's currently a toss up between the two, I only lose $250 deposit if I cancel the Model Y order.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks