Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 17:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla App unlocks someone else's car & drive away with it

According to a media report, Canda-based Tesla owner Rajesh Randev, unlocked and drove away in a white Model 3 only to realise later that it was someone else's car.

Tesla App unlocks someone else's car & drive away with it-teslamodel3.jpg

Parked on a Vancouver street with two almost identical Tesla Model 3s, Randev used the Tesla App to unlock what he believed was his car and drove off to pick up his kids from school. 15 minutes into the drive, Randev started noticing unfamiliarities inside, like his missing phone charger and a cracked windscreen.

Only after the actual owner of the Model 3 called Randev, did he figure out his mistake. What's surprising is that the other person was also able to unlock Randev's Model 3 using his Tesla App and find Randev's phone number via a document inside.

Reports state that Randev was able to pick up his kids and drive back to the Vancouver street where the cars were parked - a full 90-minute drive, without a hitch.

Source: BusinessInsiderIndia

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 16th March 2023 at 17:37.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 20:09   #2
BANNED

Re: Tesla App unlocks someone else's car & drive away with it

A really funny and a scary incident indeed. Imagine if the other guy was an thief or something, he would have just drove off. That's why I personally feel that cars should have some bit of mechanics in it, not all computerised stuffs. On a side note, how could one not realise it wasn't his own car , I mean they should have known that. I mean among two similar cars, I could easily recognise mine. Anyways, Tesla should provide an explanation regarding this serious security issue. And recall the cars if necessary.
DR Manabendra S is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 13:49   #3

Why should everything to be controlled by softwares? Even the glove box in Model 3 and Y requires the tap on the touch screen to open it. These things have to made illegal in my opinion.

It is also easy to screw up a software than making a precision mechanical part.
aslampr07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslampr07 View Post
Why should everything to be controlled by softwares? Even the glove box in Model 3 and Y requires the tap on the touch screen to open it. These things have to made illegal in my opinion.
It is also easy to screw up a software than making a precision mechanical part.
We suspiciously have an entire market of smartTV's with no chance to buy a dumb one. Same for mobile phones.
Today it takes a huge effort just to remain untracked by corporations and governments.

And each and every such major company is connected to USA, with the exception of Facebook and few more, I think we can only conclude that USA wants to keep an eye on everything around the world.
Edward Snowden played on his life to expose this, and it seems the plan is still on.

So what will happen? Tesla will apologise and issue a software update probably, or a vehicle recall. Just don't expect them to go to mechanical systems, it doesn't fit their country's agenda.
Samarth 619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 10:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
We suspiciously have an entire market of smartTV's with no chance to buy a dumb one. Same for mobile phones.
Today it takes a huge effort just to remain untracked by corporations and governments.
This might be a little off topic but, Vizio did release TV Panels without smart features just a few years back as majority of the users preferred Roku or Apple TV. It just didn't sell that well.
vellatechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 10:52   #6
BHPian

My TVS Jupiter's key can unlock one of my colleagues Jupiter and even drive off. An if we remember the cheap Chinese pad locks, one key can unlock another easily.

Be digital/ mechanical there is bound to be spill overs/ overlaps. In this case it's just a probability which worked out spot on.
Old 18th March 2023, 12:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Suggestion for Tesla owners.

Tesla App unlocks someone else's car & drive away with it-bean.jpg
mukeshgoel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 15:30   #8

Aah, this reminds me of the time back in college when I borrowed my friend's Splendor. Took the bike from parking and returned to a different parking; forgot to inform him about this.
Surprised that he found the bike where he originally parked.
Surprised that his bike was black. I rode a red one.
Sorry for the owner of red bike
5hank3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:35   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hank3r View Post
Aah, this reminds me of the time back in college when I borrowed my friend's Splendor. Took the bike from parking and returned to a different parking; forgot to inform him about this.
Surprised that he found the bike where he originally parked.
Surprised that his bike was black. I rode a red one.
Sorry for the owner of red bike
Yes. I remember the news about Hero company bikes during the year 2000's. My friend was having a passion and he was able to unlock Splendor using his key. There was a news speculating the same as well.
Old 22nd March 2023, 17:42   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Tesla can easily put a two factor authentication with finger print as second security after the car is unlocked from the app. May be little hard on folks in Canada where gloves will need to be removed.
It’s something they will address quickly, I am sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks