Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 10:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

BYD delivers 700 Atto 3 EVs in India in just 2 months

China-based BYD has delivered more than 700 units of the Atto 3 electric SUV in India in just 2 months.

BYD delivers 700 Atto 3 EVs in India in just 2 months-atto-3.jpg

BYD currently offers two EVs in India. These include the e6 MPV and the Atto 3. The latter is priced at Rs 34 lakh (ex-showroom).

The Atto 3 comes with a 60.48 kWh battery pack that offers a range of 521 km (ARAI). It powers an electric motor mounted on the front axle. It makes 201 BHP and 310 Nm. BYD claims the Atto 3 can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 7.3 seconds.

BYD has also introduced its all-electric heavy-duty trucks in India. The company has orders for over 600 Q1R electric heavy-haulers. It has also supplied over 1,000 buses equipped with BYD powertrains and batteries.

BYD India has over 2,000 employees and operates 24 outlets across India. The company aims to expand to 53 outlets by the end of 2023.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th March 2023 at 11:01.
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BYD delivers 700 Atto 3 EVs in India in just 2 months

That's quite incredible! I didn't expect an expensive 35 - 37 lakh product from a totally unknown brand to sell 350 / month! Will be interesting to see what the numbers finally settle down to (after the initial spurt). To put things in perspective, the ZS EV with a lower price & far more famous brand is currently selling ~500 units each month.

BYD is very ambitious in its plans for India. Worldwide, it sells over a million EVs each year and frequently jostles with Tesla for the no.1 title.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:47   #3
BHPian

Isn't this not really 2 months bookings but rather all the combined bookings since it was announced last October or so?

Just the deliveries started in jan/feb. So they are simply fulfilling their order backlog.

Its really commendable they are able to garner that many orders, even I am a prospective buyer for the Atto3 as my next car.
TheRandomGuy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's quite incredible! I didn't expect an expensive 35 - 37 lakh product from a totally unknown brand to sell 350 / month!.
Yes indeed, its quite an achievement! I think the customers for BYD would definitely know about the brand. People paying 35+ L would definitely know the difference between current offerings from Hyundai and MG and still consider BYD for the technology its offering.
travelling owl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 13:57   #5
BHPian

I saw.one parked in my basement in shiny red, I was confused since I never came across the name of the company but it's such a looker and amazing presence, good luck BYD
kippu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 14:43   #6
BHPian

https://sg.byd.com/wp-content/upload...1/Q1R_SPEC.pdf

The 600 unit sales of Q1R is the highlight to me. If they can gather a good reputation in this market, there is a huge potential in even the short haul market e.g. garbage trucks, dumpers etc which run 24x7 but does not cover long distances on any given day.
Contrapunto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I didn't expect an expensive 35 - 37 lakh product from a totally unknown brand to sell 350 / month!
People are quite open to trying new brands these days. I doubt if many are thinking in terms of product longevity anymore. If the product looks good and is well equipped, they will buy it.

BYD are doing well in Kiwi land. Its a small market compared to India. So are GWM's Haval, though I have not seen Haval EV's to date. They sell a model called Jolion and it looks superb.

We have a ride share company called Mevo. Their EV fleet consisted of Tesla's and Polestar's. The fleet now has BYD Atto 3's as the highest in number.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 11:29   #8

China is facing a slowdown and EVs prices are coming down very fast.

Link

Could be a reason as to why BYD is looking for an alternate market. Although numbers in India are not big, but they will try to build the Indian Market.
Old 29th March 2023, 11:35   #9
BHPian

I saw an Atto 3 in my town and was surprised at how good it looks. I've seen a couple of E6 cars as well, which is surprising because there aren't any BYD showrooms at least for 200 kms near where I live.

I can imagine the brand meeting with more success in the years to come as they expand across India.
Old 29th March 2023, 11:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Isn't this not really 2 months bookings but rather all the combined bookings since it was announced last October or so?
Eventhough the bookings opened in October, the price was revealed only by December. Many expected the price to be below ₹30L. So they took 100% refund once they knew that it would be 36L. Though I was tracking them from October, I made booking only in December after taking at least 2 test drives. I took the delivery in early February and it is really been an awesome experience so far.

BYD also revealed around mid February that they have about 2000 bookings.

Last edited by rknair : 29th March 2023 at 11:43.
rknair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 11:57   #11
BHPian

You should pen a review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
I took the delivery in early February and it is really been an awesome experience so far.
Old 29th March 2023, 12:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
You should pen a review
I will do one soon. But here is one post I did regarding my charging experience during my 1200+ km trip in the Atto3.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/did-12...perience-costs
rknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 13:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
BYD also revealed around mid February that they have about 2000 bookings.
Yes, I remember this statement too. So after the price release, close to 1000 bookings were cancelled. The price reveal played spoilsport.

Also, congrats on your new Atto3, I am also actually a prospective buyer of the Atto3, I will be reaching out to you with hundreds of questions about the car
TheRandomGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 22:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I doubt if many are thinking in terms of product longevity anymore.
Quite the opposite actually. BYD is the best option in terms of longevity. It is future proof to a large extent due its skateboard platform, terrific battery and ‘real range’, a big screen and OTA updates. BYD Atto 3 has rave reviews all over the world, and it is a great EV choice. I’m sure most of the early buyers are fully aware of BYD, which is poised to be a EV world leader (like Toyota in ICE) in few years.

The price is a hard pinch though

The rest of the EVs currently being sold (Tiago EV, Tigor EV, Nexon EV, ZS EV, XC40 Recharge, etc) are modified versions of their ICE counterparts, are mostly inefficient and will be obsolete by 2026…when most brands will launch their skateboard EVs with LFP or Sodium-Ion or Solid state batteries.

The best options right now, considering longevity are BYD Atto 3, Hyundai Ioniq and Kia EV6.

Last edited by evolvo : 29th March 2023 at 22:15. Reason: minor edits
evolvo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
I’m sure most of the early buyers are fully aware of BYD, which is poised to be a EV world leader (like Toyota in ICE) in few years.
100%. I have been closely following EV market in India for the past 2+ years. All the models that were available so far just feel short of my range expectations. Arrival of Atto3 changed all that. The style, the safety features, the range, the comfort, the performance - all were perfect for me. It took me a while to convince my wife since she had an aversion to Chinese companies and the price was much beyond her expectations. But couple of test drives in the car and the first hand experience really changed her mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
The price is a hard pinch though
This is several notches above the Tatas and MG ZS Ev in terms of features, comfort and safety aspects. My coworker recently got a Mercedes Benz GLA for ₹58 L and this is comparable in terms its features and comfort. He himself remarked that if he had known about this, would have considered this one. Another friend of mine who had already booked a Volvo C40 Recharge is considering Atto3 after a ride in my car.
rknair is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed