Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 21:39   #121
BHPian

Re: Tyre rotation

Interesting topic, it seems the main confusion is regarding whether to do a cross rotation with radial tires. While going through an old Maruti 800 service manual this is what I found:

Tyre rotation-tyre-rotation.jpg

Maruti it seems only recommends cross rotation of Bias tires (aka nylon tires). For the radial tires it doesn't recommend cross rotation, though it recommends that the spare tire be rotated with tires from one side.
Old 9th March 2018, 00:13   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Maruti it seems only recommends cross rotation of Bias tires (aka nylon tires). For the radial tires it doesn't recommend cross rotation, though it recommends that the spare tire be rotated with tires from one side.
Wrong info brother. Just checked the owners manual(both soft copy and hard) of 2000 M800 and 2013 SX4

This is what they had to say:

Tyre rotation-cp1.jpg

Tyre rotation-cp2.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 08:50   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Wrong info brother. Just checked the owners manual(both soft copy and hard) of 2000 M800 and 2013 SX4
After seeing your post I also went through my 01 Zen's owners manual. The diagram on that thing is the exact same diagram you shared from your 00 M800's owners manual, even the little code written on the bottom is same.

The photo I shared initially is from a Maruti 800 5 speed service manual, its a 644 page long pdf file. I am uploading the pdf here, please check page no. 185. The document looks authentic to me, what do you think? If this document is correct, then it seems even the Maruti guys were confused about this topic.

Maruti 800 12V MPFI Service Manual.PDF

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th March 2018 at 08:52.
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:18   #124
BHPian

Bumping up an older thread.

My Vento TSI runs on 185/60R15 Vectra. Completed the second service at 21000 kms. I specifically asked for wheel rotation during my last service and I have marked the tyres previously to know which side they are in before rotation.

After the service I did not see notice any rotation and all tyres are in the exact same place as before. When I enquired with the service advisor, he told me that he rotated the tyres and found the steering to be tilting towards left and he moved them back to initial position.

Am I being taken for a ride here?
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:10   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post

My Vento TSI runs on 185/60R15 Vectra. Completed the second service at 21000 kms. I specifically asked for wheel rotation during my last service and I have marked the tyres previously to know which side they are in before rotation.

After the service I did not see notice any rotation and all tyres are in the exact same place as before. When I enquired with the service advisor, he told me that he rotated the tyres and found the steering to be tilting towards left and he moved them back to initial position.

That answer is definitely an excuse for him not having done the work. If he had done it and found the car tilting, he could have done WA and WB. Definitely don't pay for the tyre rotation labour he claims to have done.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:50   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post

It is possible that they didnt bother doing it and gave some excuse when questioned.

However, traditional tyre rotation can cause pulling issues as well.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

A tyre is made of multiple layers of rubber, nylon cords, steel belts and whatever else tyre companies use. When a tyre is run for a few thousand kms, it develops a force within which would cause that tyre to pull either straight, right or left.

When you swap tyres from one location to another, the "forces" which have been more or less neutralised by each other are suddenly imbalanced and this can cause your car to pull either left or right.

Any of you who have driven for years may have observed this funny behaviour:

After Alignment, Balancing and rotation, the car is pulling to one side and when you go back to the tyre store, they check the alignment and find that it is perfect. To eliminate the pull, the technicians then swap the front tyres to the back or the left to the right or any combination possible.

After this swap, they take a test drive and see if the pulling has been eliminated.

This is done to identify TYRE related pulls and then using a high tech method of trial and error, find the best position of the tyres on your car

So, personally I believe that tyres shouldnt be swapped between the left and right when doing a blind rotation. A simple front to back is enough.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:14   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

This is done to identify TYRE related pulls and then using a high tech method of trial and error, find the best position of the tyres on your car
The road force equipment at shop helps eliminating this right? Have you seen cases where this phenomenon persists even after road force procedure?
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:32   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The road force equipment at shop helps eliminating this right? Have you seen cases where this phenomenon persists even after road force procedure?
The Road Force Balancer helps us in identifying tyre related pull and makes a recommendation based on the measurements. It cannot eliminate the pull. The pull of a tyre is mainly because of two reasons: Tyre conicity and Ply Steer.

The final decision is still ours. If we decide to rotate the tyres, then the equipment will inform us in advance if the car will go straight or pull to one side. Depending on the magnitude of the pull, we can take a call.

In some cases, we have noticed that if we rotate the tyres, there is a huge amount of pull to one side. In this case, we have two options:

1. Run the car with the pull for a few hundred kms and hope the pull goes away or reduces. (by changing the inherent pull within the tyre due to either of the above mentioned reasons)

2. Dont do a rotating and keep that tyre at the rear itself so that the car goes straight.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 10:32   #129
BHPian

Does anyone know how does the tire rotation affect the TPMS.
More specifically does the Tire Pressure Monitoring System still reflect the correct wheel locations, after we rotate the tires and reset the TPMS system?
Has anyone done this one a BMW?
Thanks a lot.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:57   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Does anyone know how does the tire rotation affect the TPMS.
More specifically does the Tire Pressure Monitoring System still reflect the correct wheel locations, after we rotate the tires and reset the TPMS system?
Has anyone done this one a BMW?
Thanks a lot.
If your tpms doesn't allow you to change the location, I was suggested by a tire technician to get the Tyre changed and keep the alloys in the same place. This way you only rotate the tyres.
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:18   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
If your tpms doesn't allow you to change the location, I was suggested by a tire technician to get the Tyre changed and keep the alloys in the same place. This way you only rotate the tyres.

that will be too much of effort, dismounting and mounting them again, there has to be a better way to rotate with hybrid Rims
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 12:50   #132
BHPian

Wheel rotation for Nexon EV max

My specific question is related to Nexon EV max tire rotation however it has nothing to do with the EV part and is applicable to all cars with similar tire configurations.

We have been using the Nexon EV max since last (i.e. 2022) Dec with an ODO meter reading of about 7500 km. It is with the stock tire (MRF Wanderer 215/60 R16) and the stepney is of the same size as well. Therefore I would have like to do a 5 tire rotation. However the stepney is on steel rim where as the main tires are on alloy rims and hence 5 tire rotation would mean removing the tire from the steel rim and putting it on to the appropriate alloy rim which is a complication.

As an alternative I could go with a 4-tire rotation but I think the stepney will then go wasted in the process which I do not like.

I want other more knowledgeable BHPians to comment Other information that might be relevant

1. The car comes with an indirect TPMS

2. I had a single low leakage puncture on the front right tire in this duration which was
patched (an ordinary patch not a mushroom patch) at a tire shop (I would not have
noticed it but for the TPMS warning).

Also any recommendation for good tire shop in Palakkad is also welcome.
Old 24th April 2023, 00:05   #133

Re: Wheel rotation for Nexon EV max

Tire rotation must be done at around 10k-12k kms if you do some spirited driving, but otherwise i think 15k-18k kms would be ideal.

And rotating your spare wheel won't make sense as you would pay more to get it from steel wheel to the alloy, plus a new tire would stand out among the used ones. This is how my father has been doing since beginning and it works just fine. You can use the stepney when you would go to a new set of tires after few years (if you keep it till then).
Old 9th May 2023, 18:59   #134
BHPian

I have my Grand i10 NIOS bought in March 2022 and it completed 5000 Kilometers just last month. When should I get the tyres of my car rotated and how to do it, as in which tyre goes where?

In US, I think I used to get it done every 5000 miles.
Old 9th May 2023, 21:07   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I have my Grand i10 NIOS bought in March 2022 and it completed 5000 Kilometers just last month. When should I get the tyres of my car rotated and how to do it, as in which tyre goes where?

In US, I think I used to get it done every 5000 miles.
Your user manual should include a 'tire rotation' section with manufacturer recommendations.

Standard practice for a 4-tire rotation (assuming you're using bidirectional tires) is front tires go to the back on the same side, rear tires go to front on the diagonal side. (Uni)Directional tires are only swapped same-side front to back & vice versa, no diagonal swaps.

For a 5-tire rotation (if you have a full-sized spare to use), same steps as above plus the 5th (spare) gets swapped with the rear left at the last step.

Check out this link for a pictorial reference.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th May 2023 at 21:13.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks