Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2023, 10:20   #136
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

MG ever since they showed concept, had clearly said it will not come cheap if I remember clearly Rajeev Chaba had said it loud and clear in all interviews.
Old 6th May 2023, 11:17   #137
BHPian

Quality of vehicle, Next gen features, superb after sales support and complaint handling aka customer care / RSA makes MG stands apart from its competitors. As a result it gives niggle free experience and peace of mind to the customer.
And given the features & pricing of Comet with all above mentioned attributes, I would say it’s a very good deal.
FiatDiesel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 20:09   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

This feels like Reva reborn. I always wondered what could possibly push people over the edge to buy that car. Why can't we get cars like this!!

MG Comet EV Review-honda.png
androdev is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 21:14   #139
BHPian

In my opinion, this would have been a great deal if they offered in the 5 lakhs range. This steep price increase from the 7.98 L is simply absurd and would be hard to justify over Tiago EV.
Sandeep M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 03:55   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This feels like Reva reborn. I always wondered what could possibly push people over the edge to buy that car. Why can't we get cars like this!!

Attachment 2447881
You're posting an overpriced car with low range to complain about an overpriced car...

The posts won't be too different if Honda launched it here.
Formula1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 07:57   #141
BHPian

Makes me wonder whatever happened to the Mahindra Reva E2O?!

The E2O Plus in our team-bhp 2016 review does look a little crude. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Mahindra e2o Plus : Official Review)
([edit] production stopped in 2017)

But it’s 7 years now. If Mahindra (reva) comes back, I feel it will definitely have a much better finish & a viable alternative.

Last edited by viggienomad : 7th May 2023 at 08:25. Reason: Missing info added
Old 7th May 2023, 08:32   #142
BHPian

Adding my 2 Cents :
I feel that MG has deliberately priced the comet so steep. The reason why Nano flopped was because of the 'cheap car' image it had. The comet, at 10L ex, clearly demands a premium over the Tiago MR. May change people's perception about it
Comet is a very cute car and I'm sure it will do good numbers.
Eco_boost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 08:53   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
You're posting an overpriced car with low range to complain about an overpriced car...
The EV industry needs to stop obsessing about range. There are many urban cars in India that do less than 10KM in the morning and come back home in the evening.

Quote:
The posts won't be too different if Honda launched it here.
Maybe, but it won't be worthy of a meme.

MG Comet EV Review-meme.jpeg
androdev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 11:57   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep M View Post
In my opinion, this would have been a great deal if they offered in the 5 lakhs range. This steep price increase from the 7.98 L is simply absurd and would be hard to justify over Tiago EV.
5 lakhs is not happening ... check Bloomberg report saying December 2022, battery prices for the first time in a long time increased to $151 per kWh.

Form looks etc. dont decide the price.

Many factors like build quality, sales and after sales experience fscilities apps etc etc all add on to the cost. Add high inflation and exchange rates.

For profit competitive companies don't spend out of pocket.
sagsaw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 12:58   #145
BHPian

6.75 lacs for base variant, 7.50 for mid and 8.25 for the top variant would have been decent pricing.

To protect margins offer a basic warranty and have a variant wise differential pricing for the 3-3-3-8 warranty (15k to 25k).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2023 at 12:05. Reason: Please close sentences with full stops.
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 17:27   #146
BHPian

Excellent review and amazing photos.

I had almost made up my mind for this car as it suits my daily run of around with 50 kms. We have all fuel guzzlers (Compass S 4X4 and Ecosport P AT) at home, except for Ecosport S Diesel manual. We had thought of Comet as a 3rd car at home for local intra city and office runs which is done mostly by Ecosport Petrol AT.

Comet had almost all basic needs covered and looked life a good package. Now that pricing is announced, I feel Tiago.EV is more VFM package and a complete car. The top variant of Comet should have not costed more than 7L OTR in Maharashtra where there is no road tax for EVs. Goodbye MG Comet for now!
knightfurry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 17:41   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The EV industry needs to stop obsessing about range. There are many urban cars in India that do less than 10KM in the morning and come back home in the evening.
This.
I don't get why they could not have released different battery configurations (say 75/100/125+ km ranges). The consequence would have been that the price of the low end would also have fallen into reasonable ranges.

First thought that came to me was, this would be a good option for my family for neighborhood runs, replacing the scooter. That is out of the window due to the current price and the exposed wires and motor, looks dangerous. Irrespective of the motor's IPx rating, we have bandicoots and dogs in our cities that can have a go at those wires.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 19:19   #148
BHPian

Today I went to MG showroom in Delhi to have look at MG Comet. You sit perched up like a bus driver with your right leg having constant pain due to narrow footwell. Also acessing back seat is a pain. With no fast charge, steep price IMO Tata Tiago is a better choice for people who are looking at affordable EV.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 08:07   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshgoel View Post
May be you are right. But I don't know when we would stop comparing price with size of car. I remember buying Jazz in 2010 at 7.5 lakhs. Everyone around me was saying why buy a small car for so much money. But I still have it and it's quality is matchless.
It is not about size but practicality. Tiago EV is also a small car but it is practical with 4 doors and usable boot space. Comet EV only has 2 doors so getting in rear seats will be a pain and on top of that it has no usable boot space.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 12:12   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
This.
I don't get why they could not have released different battery configurations (say 75/100/125+ km ranges). The consequence would have been that the price of the low end would also have fallen into reasonable ranges.
The range given is ARAI, in real life you get only ~75% of that (in city). It is recommended to charge once you go below 25% and mostly before 10%. If you follow this recommendation, you will always have usable 15% range. You want this 15% to be more than most of your city trips. Otherwise you have to deal with the annoyance of not having enough range before a trip.

For Comet EV the ARAI range is 230 Km, so real world range of ~173 Km and 15% of that is ~26 Km. This is reasonably large to cover most people's city trips. That is why even the Tiago EV MR, has a range of 250 Km.

If you have an ARAI range of 125 Km, then real world range is ~94 Km and 15% of that is ~14 Km. Excluding nearby grocery/shopping most of my city trips are above 10 Km, so 14 Km is kind of cutting it close but maybe manageable.

Anything below like 75/100 Km, would not be feasible. My guess is the use case for replacing short two wheeler trips with small car is not very big and there is unlikely to be cars with such low ARAI ranges.

Of course you need not follow the recommended charging and can decide to charge it well above 25% SoC, but at this stage of EV and BMS maturity this comes with its own set of issues.

I have a Nexon Max, which gives around ~300 Km in city, 15% of that is 45 Km. My office commute is ~50 Km, this works out well and I end up charging mostly between 10% to 25%, but once in a while it becomes below 10%. That takes care of the recommendation to go below 10% once a month or every 3 or 4 cycles. So no planning/thinking, I just charge when I see SoC in orange (below 25%). I need to plan only when going on long trips.

Last edited by wocanak : 8th May 2023 at 12:13.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks