Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 17:30   #76
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Thanks for the review.

Coming to my question - Does anybody know if such weird looking cars have succeeded in terms of good sales figure in any particular country?

Or any similar looking cars that come to your mind that are popular enough among masses?

Thanks.
Old 28th April 2023, 17:39   #77
BHPian

I've said this on other forums as well, if this can sell at 8 lacs, a Nano EV with 5 doors DEFINITELY can do too!

Bring it back!
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:43   #78
BHPian

I was looking for a city car that offered something different from the usual Maruti ,tata, hyundai models, something that would be truly exclusive and premium. That's when I came across the MG Comet, and I have to say, it fits the bill perfectly.

What I love about the MG Comet is its exclusivity - it's not a car that you see on every street corner. And I would be even happier if it remained a scarce and exclusive club, with higher variants crossing the 10 lakhs to 12 lakhs mark. This would ensure that those who invest in the vehicle are part of a select group of individuals who appreciate luxury and exclusivity.

Overall, the MG Comet is a perfect proposition for anyone looking for a city car that offers both exclusivity and premiumness. I would highly recommend it over regular 4 door city cars.
vishal9999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:55   #79

Hope TATA looks at this and brings the NANO in its E form! On the other hand MG has struck gold! The low cost EV market needs options, Other than Tiago and the useless e-C3 this will be a refresher to the ppl who are looking for a low cost EV!

Last edited by Aditya : 28th April 2023 at 22:40. Reason: Quoted text deleted
WasherNut0402 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 18:30   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Was this pic taken with some underbody protection/cladding removed? If not, it is a matter of grave concern. For a city car having these many cables and components be exposed in this way is gross negligence. We have pothole water/slush, rocks, dirt and what not hit the underside all the time, what happens if there is a short with a 17Kwh battery on board?
Exactly my point.
also the unsprung weight is increased due to motor mounted on the differential. This is not a very technically sound design.
norhog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 19:07   #81

I have spoken with the local dealer and registered my interest. The following is what I have gathered so far:

1. 7.98lks is for the car we have seen in the media drives and mentioned in the brochure, easily available. If other versions are launched they could be bare bones and lower priced or might come with a convertible option at a premium.

2. Bookings will start officially from 15th May, dealer is accepting booking to queue you ahead if you want.

3. Display car and Test Drive vehicle is not yet available, it should be available next week. I have asked them to schedule a test drive as soon as possible.

Having gone through the thread some pointers.

Yesterday i went to pick someone at the airport, he had 1 suitcase and 1 hand baggage. I even had some groceries in the car, looking back could I have achieved this in the comet? I think so. Just the way SuV became flavour, I think this is the beginning of a urban commute micro cars for the city trend. Though the real trend might take some time to emerge, but smaller is better should come in now.

I am not saying that comet is a perfect car, all I am saying is lets not be an arm chair enthusiast, and check the thing out before coming to conclusions. I was in need of a second car and i think rather than spending 12lks on a loaded tiago, this makes a lot of sense. Obviously no decision can be made till i see the car for myself and drive it. Till then lets hold our horses.
AnandSancheti is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 19:11   #82
BHPian

Excellent review! The MG Comet is a very interesting product, but one that does not seem to have a clear target demographic. A middle class buyer will balk at buying a two-door car, especially as it would probably be the family's sole car. This two-door concept may find more takers as a second/third car filling in as a city runabout, but the poor ergonomics of the rear and limited boot might be a pain point, and this is a rather niche market.

I don't think it would be a particularly good niche/halo to build a brand around, either.

In any case, I'm happy that such a car was launched - it will help determine how much quirkiness the Indian car market can accommodate today.
ryzen7@5800u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 19:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulemanP View Post
The Tata Nano is way better looking car than MG Comet, if Tata considers bringing back Nano in EV avatar it could instantly connect with the masses..
Tata is fiddling around with the Nano. There's a test model in Goa, of which there's a review on YouTube
That, too, is not great on the bhp
Old 28th April 2023, 19:40   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdas808 View Post
Everything you mentioned is great except for pricing. The 8L ex showroom pricing unveiled is for Base variant, the top variant which is being advertised in media drives will hit 7 digits. There will be 3 variants. Please update
Your infographics so that people don't get a bad idea.

No, the media drive vehicle is the Top variant and the price revealed is of Base variant. Please don't hold your horses, as the top variant with all the functions is going for 7 digit amount.
I was under the impression there's only one variant.

The CometEV has too many compromises compared to the TiagoEV. Without the pricing and feature advantage, it's not even a competition. Tiago becomes the better option by a mile.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 19:46   #85
BHPian

I live in an apartment complex, so this car is out of the question for me
The main problem is, I think it's out of the question, for this precise reason, for most city dwellers in India, too
This is essentially an import, from concept to demographic, from an entirely different context, where everyone has access to power points everywhere
For India, practical considerations alone make this an exotic, occasional creature
SanSabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 20:08   #86
BHPian

Comet! This name takes me back to 2004 when Hyosung launched Comet in India.

I am happy that MG has launched it and it looks to be an interesting product. Indian EV market is all set for exponential growth.
Old 28th April 2023, 21:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Let's see how many of those who are enchanted by this car's looks actually cut a cheque to buy this. We will know in coming months in Initial Ownership section. I'm still not able to wrap my head around its odd shape. Wonder what were they thinking when they signed this one off for production.

Stunningly beautiful cars AND weirdly-proportioned-cum-ugly cars, both get eyeballs. You can take an old jalopy, paint it pink and drive around town; you will still get attention but you may get laughed at, not envied. OTOH, drive a V10 monster muscle car and you get stares with popping eyes and dropping jaws. Both get attention but different kind. Now I'm not at all suggesting Comet is anything like a jalopy. Just trying to explain contrasts.

Some folks here say they seldom use rear seat. Maybe. But in our country, when people buy a 7-seater for that twice a year 3rd row usage, it's definitely a big plus to have 4-doors even when you seldom use.

The MOST IMPORTANT question is its safety. It is so tiny and slab-sided that I shudder to think of it in the event of an impact, from any 4 sides. It looks like it will cave in at slightest impact and given its tiny size, occupants don't sit far from the point of impact. That, to me, is the single biggest point, I am skeptical of this car. I hope MG has done something about that.
Old 28th April 2023, 21:41   #88
BHPian

I think MG has a winner on their hands provided they market the car well, and give good service experience. They could target customers in large and tier II cities in the country where they have a good presence.

The car, while quirky in external design has been well made and well packaged overall from the looks of it. It is loaded reasonably and has creature comforts that the customers desire. The absence of fast charging may not be a deal breaker for the target customers considering that the car will be primarily used to and fro for work commutes. Positioning it as an urban commuter alternative to scooters and ICE cars will find a lot of takers.

The only unknown here is how the market will react to the brand. Considering that the EV space is not too crowded now and MG has a one of a kind product gives it an advantage. It is up to them to deliver on the promise and sustain the momentum into the future.
Old 28th April 2023, 22:22   #89

This is India where the filmi ' Gangsters and Kidnappers box ' Maruti Omni was a huge success. As per the design language , this is a design which some love , some hate and some may hate to love it. But sure it is a stand out contender and bold move from MG. If it was a tiago like normal design I believe it would have hardy got the attention which it received now.

I sincerely wish the model to be a huge success only to get Tatas attention to bring nano EV with 200 real world range , Harman sound and at 6 Lakhs ! Dream is it ?
Jaguarpaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 23:28   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdas808 View Post
Everything you mentioned is great except for pricing. The 8L ex showroom pricing unveiled is for Base variant, the top variant which is being advertised in media drives will hit 7 digits. There will be 3 variants. Please update
Your infographics so that people don't get a bad idea.

No, the media drive vehicle is the Top variant and the price revealed is of Base variant. Please don't hold your horses, as the top variant with all the functions is going for 7 digit amount.
I am.not sure, but I get a feeling that media drive vehicle is same which is launched at Rs.7.98 lacs and in future (if this one gets acceptable sales) they may launch higher priced variants with more features viz. cruise control, front camera, alloys & may be seat height adjustment, front armrest with storage, electric parking brake & few more features.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 28th April 2023 at 23:29.
GoBabyGo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks