Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2023, 07:57   #91
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

This is what Nano EV could have been.
Old 29th April 2023, 12:40   #92
Team-BHP Support

In light of recent developments, (where MG later said the variant we drove will be priced higher), we have removed the "well-priced point" from the opening post. Variant-wise prices will be revealed in the coming weeks before the bookings open on May 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Was this pic taken with some underbody protection/cladding removed? If not, it is a matter of grave concern. For a city car having these many cables and components be exposed in this way is gross negligence. We have pothole water/slush, rocks, dirt and what not hit the underside all the time, what happens if there is a short with a 17Kwh battery on board?
Not at all. There is no underbody protection on the car as mentioned in the captions. This was one of my feedback points to MG engineers as well to provide some sort of underbody protection, at least as an accessory. Both the differential and the motor are low and the high-voltage cables are also exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
One thing I couldn't find out in the review was if this has hill hold assist.
There is no hill hold assist. It doesn't have a creep function either which sometimes helps on inclines.
Omkar is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 15:30   #93
BHPian

Let me add a little perspective here. For context, I’m part of the younger half of Gen Z, so I’m a few years younger than MG’s main target demographic.

The brochure may be a bit cringe, but MG has actually used a lot of Gen Z lingo correctly, and really the only problem is that I don’t think many non-enthusiast young buyers even know what a brochure is. Overall, a 9/10 on the idea, maybe a 6/10 on the execution.

The car itself will probably actually make an interesting case to Gen Z. My two main enthusiast friends think that this car is a load of crap, but I doubt that my non-enthusiast friends will agree with them.

As enthusiasts, naturally we don’t like styling that seems a little unconventional to our tastes. However, in today’s world, unconventional = better for sales. That is why the new BMW 7er has the awful honker of a grille up front - it helps it stand out against the more traditional S-Class and A8L. Similarly, the styling of the Comet will definitely help it stand out against the Tiago and ë-C3.

And the interior is definitely excellent. Space packaging looks decent, the feature list is quite long, and I must concede that the rotary shifter looks amazing and, honestly, quite premium. The amount of technology will also be a massive USP for MG - a lot of my friends have been impressed by my Hector’s screen, so I can easily see the infotainment package in this car wowing them.

Lastly, electric cars are pretty much the ‘in-thing’ right now with this generation. Not just for eco credentials, but mostly because of what I call the Tesla factor - Tesla made EVs cool to this generation, and even non-Tesla EVs have been able to piggyback off this and gain appeal with this generation.

I’ve always thought that a used Smart Fortwo-esque car would be a perfect first car for me when I turn 18, and so I can easily understand the appeal of this car. This is a car that’s easy to manoeuvre, has funky styling and unlike an old Fortwo, has loads of technology that will age well. This is a brilliant product for urban mobility, and I do think this will somewhat will be a hit with younger buyers.
Arsenic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 16:25   #94
BHPian

So after watching multiple videos on YouTube and reading the entire forum took the plunge and booked the car today. Dealers are not officially taking bookings but taking Cheque of Rs 25000 and booking will be confirmed on 14th May. Mine was 17th booking at MG showroom at 32nd Milestone Gurgaon.

What I liked -
- small form factor
- decent range for city driving (Gurgaon )
- enough space for my daily commute to office where I can carry my office bag and drive myself.
- loved the interiors.
What I don’t like -
- exterior design is OK
- Speakers are as bad as they can get. Need to change them.
- no arm rest will not be very comfortable.
- expected delivery in June. Will keep all posted.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-ba156ed6687f4da0bca4cd6484b4ee0b.jpeg  

MG Comet EV Review-img_1961.jpeg  

MG Comet EV Review-img_1960.jpeg  

MG Comet EV Review-img_1959.jpeg  

Manuggn is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 16:47   #95
BHPian

For someone like me and for my use case, this car makes perfect sense.

How?

1. I live in an own independent house, where I can install 15A socket or anything needed at my will. So the problem of where to charge is sorted.
2. The use case is mainly to drive to office. Not in the foreseeable future would I imagine taking an electric car to highways. Comet or any other electric car. For a person seeking comfort during highway runs I cannot imagine being stressed about range. While it’s true that highway charging infrastructure is improving, I am simply not the kind of person who can wait for an hour or more to get the car charged during travel - fast charging or not.
3. Since the use case is just office I hardly need luggage space or even rear seats. So the two door would work really fine.
4. I consider the design radical and futuristic. There are way more ugly cars on road if you think about it.

On the other hand, many of those who complained about fast charging rely on public infrastructure to charge their car. For them this car would never be practical. Even those with own homes in apartments do not have the liberty to install charging points if they want. They are at the mercy of associations to arrive at a decision, which is not so easy.
hybridpetrol is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 16:54   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Is it just me or is the English mentioned on this controller quirky too??
Not at all! They are claimed to be British.
On4Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 17:16   #97
BHPian

If this vehicle finds enough buyers, then Citroen should introduce Ami one which is still in concept stage. Barring door handles, sunroof and extra big tyres, every other aspect looks like an actual product which can be delivered IMO.

This is 2 seater vehicle.

Sharing some pictures from Citroen India website.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-one_whitebackground_800x680_0.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-youtu.be_rjf9ioxfo9i_800x680.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-nceptcar_ami_one_woman_800x680.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-citron_conceptcar_ami_one_steeringwheel_800x680_1.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-citro_conceptcar_ami_one_seats_800x680.jpg  

Tucker48 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 18:54   #98
BHPian

I had seen this car during my travel to Jakarta last year. It was being sold under the name Wuling Air Ev.

Link - https://wuling.id/en/air-ev
xsrahul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 20:27   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
If this vehicle finds enough buyers, then Citroen should introduce Ami one which is still in concept stage. Barring door handles, sunroof and extra big tyres, every other aspect looks like an actual product which can be delivered IMO.

This is 2 seater vehicle.

Sharing some pictures from Citroen India website.
Citroen is just terrible when it comes to launching properly in India. They actually missed big with eC3 which is neither here nor there with the pricing vs what they are offering, same with C3 which was offered without a proper automatic and Aircross which was priced insanely high.

Unless they can give VFM, how can they compete against Tiago/Nexon EV? I'm not even factoring in the complete lack of sales network in many places.
epiccross is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 20:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuggn View Post
So after watching multiple videos on YouTube and reading the entire forum took the plunge and booked the car today. Dealers are not officially taking bookings but taking Cheque of Rs 25000 and booking will be confirmed on 14th May. Mine was 17th booking at MG showroom at 32nd Milestone Gurgaon.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Looking forward to your delivery posts & ownership experience soon after.

I loved the Comet EV when I drove it.

On my first job, I would drive roughly 100 kms every day, up & down to work and some time with my friends. Petrol cost was too high for my salary to sustain it back then, so I had a CNG kit fit in my car, which then resulted in extra maintenance.

Such a car would have been perfect for that kind of usage.

Everyone simply hating on the Comet EV, must at least drive it once.
And Tata fanboys, I simply don't understand.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 22:34   #101
BHPian

The tiago ev now looks extremely value for money.

1. 4 doors
2. Seats 5
3. Boot space with every seat the way it is.
4. Larger wheels
5. Interior looks like a car, not an ipod.
6. Though people hate Tata, they give it free real estate in their mind when it comes to buying one. MG is seen as a luxury car maker and therefore higher costs when something breaks
7. Crash tested. Not many would know to differentiate between ev crash tests and ice crash tests.
8. Doesnt make you the target for poor jokes in the family.
9. People would immediately compare this MG to nano and how the latter failed blah blah.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 29th April 2023 at 22:35.
TorqMaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 01:21   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
By pressing the arrow buttons on the left spoke, you can toggle between the drive-related information like the real-time power being used in kW, voltage, current, trip, and even the motor speed:
I got nerdgasm seeing that info. Why can't TML provide such info on their lineup? this helps us optimize our drives and even validate the charging sessions.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 10:02   #103
BHPian

Excellent review, but disappointed with MG.

As someone who has booked Tiago EV, I had hoped that MG too would release their car with similar dimensions (like that of Tiago EV) and price it nearly same.

We aren't China or even Japan where local population is going to for Comet like cars.

I know families which are streching their budget and going for Tiago EV as their primary car, because its the perfect entry level EV. Even we are among that category.

We have options when it comes to the compact-SUV in Nexon and MG ZS, but what about Tiago?

But I genuinely loved the interior of this car, it looks fresh, imagine how it would have looked in a bigger cabin with ofc bigger boot.

Its a missed opportunity for MG tbh. The sales will reflect this later, lets see.
userAditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 15:10   #104
BHPian

For me, this one definitely ticks one box over Tiago. This one seems to be 'Born Electric', unlike the Tiago. But does not tick any other boxes beyond that.
Old 30th April 2023, 15:15   #105
BHPian

I was watching autocar preview on YouTube with wife and we both liked the car until they showed the price. I don’t think anybody is going to compromise so much for a 8lac car, specially when Tiago is available at a similar price point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks