Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2023, 12:38   #121
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

I feel the pricing is absurd and short sighted. They could have easily managed it in 9 lakhs.
utkarshgoel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:44   #122
BHPian

That is a steep increase in variant wise pricing. At 1.3 lakhs more, you are getting an extra display, ICE and connected car features and next 70k give you a parking camera and keyless entry.
Good thing is that the base version is decently loaded and more feature packed as compared to the Tiago.

Last edited by the.dogfather : 5th May 2023 at 12:45.
the.dogfather is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 13:02   #123
BHPian

This is how you do not disclose a car's price. You could have told that the top model costs less than 10 lakhs initially and people would have found the base model very value for money. Now people feel the reverse.
utkarshgoel is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Oops ! Was it just me or anyone else who thought the Comet would only have one variant and at the introductary price of 7.98 lacs ?

The price tag of 10 lacs ex- showroom for a 2 door comet is way too steep.

Agreed, people have moved on from the flop era of E2O, but even today, I doubt much attraction for this contraption for 10 lacs.

The Tiago EV suddenly looks such a value for money and "complete" car.
DCEite is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:54   #125
BHPian

Way too much for a 2 door car which i feel still is impractical. Also they goofed up the pricing.

Tata Tiago EV feels much better option compared to Comet. Tata is a winner as the service network is much better than MG.
Oppanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Oops ! Was it just me or anyone else who thought the Comet would only have one variant and at the introductary price of 7.98 lacs ?

The price tag of 10 lacs ex- showroom for a 2 door comet is way too steep.

Agreed, people have moved on from the flop era of E2O, but even today, I doubt much attraction for this contraption for 10 lacs.

The Tiago EV suddenly looks such a value for money and "complete" car.
Hi DCEite - I had similar feelings and had anticipated that media drive vehicle is same launched at 7.98 lacs. Even after this pricing, I find Comet EV better than Tiago EV for city usage. Comet is more spacious than Tiago specially at rear seat for 2. Except no boot space Comet has no other compromise. Even after I being so positive about Comet EV, I feel it will not sell beyond 100 to 200 units a month.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 18:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

Comet EV price comparison

Quote:
With prices starting from Rs 7.98 lakh to 9.98 lakh, the MG Comet EV is still well within the price of rivals like the Citroen eC3 and the Tata Tiago.
MG Comet EV Review-20230505_175853.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 19:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

I initially thought the 8L pricing was for the top variant they were showing in all the media reviews. I was wondering whether it was overpriced. And now it seems you need to pay another 2L for all that. I am not wondering anymore.
Cresterk is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 19:53   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2447542
Yes it is well within the price range of competition but see the comparison of variant available at the same price point

Plush variant is almost same price as XT LR variant. Battery for MG is 17.3 kwh and XT LR is 24 kwh (with fast charging support). That is a complete deal breaker.

Play variant is exactly the same price at XT MR variant. Battery for MG is 17.3 kwh and XT MR is 19.2 kwh (with fast charging support). Again bigger battery at the same price.

Pace variant - I don't think bare bones variant will attract anyone.
ferrarirules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 21:03   #130
BHPian

Really bad pricing by MG! And the delayed pricing release strategy with all the confusion about variants and prices was an absolute disaster. With this pricing anyone will prefer the Tiago EV. They could have at least stuck to the white (Space Gray) interiors on the base model, which is the only one with some advantage over the Tiago EV.

With this pricing Comet EV will remain a very very niche product. I doubt MG can even sustain triple digit monthly sales in the long run.

Quite sad as this would have been the perfect 2nd city car if priced sensibly.
Djay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 22:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
... Except no boot space Comet has no other compromise. Even after I being so positive about Comet EV, I feel it will not sell beyond 100 to 200 units a month.
No other compromise? Absence of cruise control, ACC and 2 rear doors is not a compromise? And those tiny toy wheels? Whichever way I look at it, Tiago EV at 70-80 K mark-up looks much better deal. This may actually push up Tiago EV sales.

MG should start work on a proper compact EV SUV to slot in between Comet and Astor. Preferably Tata Punch-sized.
pgsagar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 22:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
So I got my hands on a test drive car. The fit and finish are premium, and car looks much better than you make of it from the pictures. But that's the end of the good part. The biggest shocker as we drove out was the AC - either the car we were in had a bad AC or most likely their AC wasn't made for Indian Summers. Thigh support was bad even for the driver. I have driven over 20K KM in a Tigor EV, and I also test drove the ZS EV & Nexon EV, so I am not new to EVs. Based on my experience all I can say is that Comet to me feels like a wasted opportunity. This will end up helping boost Tiago.ev sales for sure.

Last edited by kartikthum : 5th May 2023 at 22:56.
kartikthum is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 00:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Really bad pricing by MG! And the delayed pricing release strategy with all the confusion about variants and prices was an absolute disaster.

With this pricing Comet EV will remain a very very niche product. I doubt MG can even sustain triple digit monthly sales in the long run.

Quite sad as this would have been the perfect 2nd city car if priced sensibly.
I too was looking at comet to replace my Brio, however I am in two minds now. The pricing is a disaster, the strategy is a bigger disaster. I am sure someone will be punished for this nonsense created.
utkarshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 01:52   #134
BHPian

Reminds me of the Matiz, in some strange way. Probably the best way to step into an electric car ownership. Looks nicely built, and seems like it does its work. I am not sure how many people really buy electric cars as their only car. Almost all the people I know who have electric cars, it's their second car. Except for one person who has the bigger MG electric as the only car. This seems to be a nice way to own it for a couple of years, wait out to see how the grid charing develops and how to experience an electric only world, through out its lifecycle.
If only the nano could be brought back into life with LED strips, a small sun roof, LED head lamps (Indian consumers have gotten to like all these) and a little contemporary design adjustments in an e-avatar, that would be so cool.
man_and_machine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 04:21   #135
Team-BHP Support

A very nice and crisp review. Photography at its best

The car looks nice, there is indeed a market for such cars. Will surely have a look at this. Such cars will be at home in a city like Chandigarh, with no RTO, a small commute, and good roads.
Turbanator is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed