Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 08:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Reva to run faster, longer :: Source TOI

With this kind of mileage now reva qualifies to be taken out on longer trips. I am sure with 100kms one can travel all around bangalore with ease. Arguably the cost is a bit high, but who offers automatic cars that give proper mileage and is easy on the pocket in the small car category today?

While maini does rely on export orders more, I guess this model will have takers in it, including a possible me for my second car.
Now where is that disposable income of mine, thats the only question

------------

New Reva to run faster, longer - source : Times of India

Bangalore: Reva Electric Car Company (RECC) has launched an all new advanced variant of its Reva car, called the Revai.
The new variant of the electric car comes with an all new AC drivetrain replacing the old DC drivetrain. With this, customers can experience increased speed, range and acceleration.
From a top speed of 65 km per hour earlier, the new car will be able to race at a top speed of 80 km per hour. The torque is 40% more than in the earlier model, which will aid in hill climbing and negotiation of slopes.
The previous Reva on full charge was able to cover a distance between 60 to 70 km, but now it would do better — 80 to 100 km.
Speaking at the launch, RECC deputy chairman Chetan Maini said, "The Revai is one of the most advanced electric cars in the global market today."
The car has additional features like rear defogger, 12v socket for mobile charging, climate control seats, electronic climate control and a remote controlled air conditioner.
The new car is priced between Rs 3.35 lakh and 4.09 lakh (ex-showroom Bangalore), around Rs 30,000 more than the older variant.
Last year, RECC sold 600 units, 70% of that in overseas markets. It is looking at sales of 3,000 units this year, pegged to the emergence of newer export markets like Greece, Cyprus, Germany and Switzerland.

Chetan Maini, deputy chairman of Reva Electric Car, poses with a Revai electric ear in Bangalore on Wednesday
Old 26th July 2007, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yea thats good news, I wish governement give good tax benefits. If base version of Reva is priced 2 lac. ex show room it would have sold like hot cakes. Then 1 lakh Petrol/Diesel car would have not come into picture.

I always thought TATA could have tried electric car instead of Fuel run 1 lakh rs costing car. May be electric car is costly to manufacture but if governement encourages with tax benefits I am sure it can be achieved.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:31   #3
BHPian

I hope it also comes with a 1km long autowinding cable for people who live in the apartments that are now omnipresent in Bangalore. I don't think you have any charging points in the basement.
Imagine the huge power cables all over? Any thought/suggestions on this ?

Possibly offices could offer eco friendly initiatives by providing free charging
points and parking for small and efficient cars like Reva.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Possibly offices could offer eco friendly initiatives by providing free charging
points and parking for small and efficient cars like Reva.
U r kidding me.. Most offices don't even provide proper parking for even bikes.. let alone providing charging points !!
Old 26th July 2007, 09:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
May be electric car is costly to manufacture but if governement encourages with tax benefits I am sure it can be achieved.
Yes, its costly to manufacture as it uses heavy duty AC/DC motors along with expensive set of batteries.

Govt will be least bothered about these issues unless water crosses their head.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

high res pic on my web site, and oh yea i did subscribe to it and got the press kit from them. its much more executive looking in the silver colour. not at all jazzy and you can notice the defogger and alloys as well.
Old 26th July 2007, 10:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
From a top speed of 65 km per hour earlier, the new car will be able to race at a top speed of 80 km per hour. The torque is 40% more than in the earlier model, which will aid in hill climbing and negotiation of slopes.
80km per hour? Was that really necessary? CG would be low due to heavy batteries sitting low, still how safe this car would be at that speed?

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 26th July 2007 at 10:18.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:44   #8
BHPian

This is really encouraging news. I have been closely following up reva developments ever since I took part in its survey-cum-test drive 10 years ago.

They have something more interesting up their sleeve, the reva-NXG I wonder when its going to come out! Take a look at this:

An Exotic Electric Car - Forbes.com

And purchasing a Reva includes installation of two charging point where ever you want, at your basement parkig lot or at your office parking. The OTR includes these installation charges.

In fact malls like Forum have a couple of Reva charging points and special parking for these vehicles.

The company and consumers needs more encouragement, subsidies and tax benefits to make this car more marketable else at 4 lakhs its difficult to sell this car in India!
Old 26th July 2007, 12:31   #9
BHPian

I think the car can surely do with some headlamp redesign. It resembles the 25rupees toy car that you get everywhere. And if they have to command 4L for it, they should do something about the looks of the car.
That brings us to the most important question, do we have the design capability in India?? So many companies are setting up design centers in India and yet when it comes to indegenously launched Indian cars, we end up very very mediocre (with a few exceptions!!)

The car is now called the 'revai' common, they can do better than that.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:22   #10
BHPian

I still believe that a price of around 4 lacs is a somewhat not right for this car.. maybe the govt. should give some benifits to these companies.. so that the price comes down.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post

The car is now called the 'revai' common, they can do better than that.
will the next model after ''revai'' would be called REVA'th'I ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I still believe that a price of around 4 lacs is a somewhat not right for this car.. maybe the govt. should give some benifits to these companies.. so that the price comes down.
with revv, the government should give some tax soaps to the reva, such as:

1. reduction in import duty for the OEM parts for the car (i heard they import most of the important parts)

2. subsidy for the buyer, for buying a zero emission vehicle. Though the electricity used to charge reva might be comming from burning fuel else where, I think the amount fuel burnt would be less than what it will be burn in a regular car.

3. subsidy for using a smaller car, thus reducing the congestion, taking-up less parking space.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 26th July 2007 at 14:21.
Old 26th July 2007, 15:04   #12
BHPian

Just imagining about going at 80km/h in Reva feels funny... An average indian goes for looks of the car first and rest all next... and the looks of this car... it looks like a high school kid tried to make a Car with whatever is available for him to prove his knowledge in Science exhibition.... infact he might make a far better looking Car...LOL.. I see a person next to me in a Reva/Revai.... I really feel pity for him... coz U pay so much money and U get it on the road and everyone thinks U got this stuff that's desperately trying to look like a car and it runs on batteries. I wonder what the designers are upto man.... I don't understand... Batteries or solar or petrol or diesel.... it really doesn't matter... this is the worst looking car I had ever seen in my life.
Old 26th July 2007, 15:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The price point is too high
Old 26th July 2007, 17:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs View Post
Just imagining about going at 80km/h in Reva feels funny... An average indian goes for looks of the car first and rest all next... and the looks of this car... it looks like a high school kid tried to make a Car with whatever is available for him to prove his knowledge in Science exhibition.... infact he might make a far better looking Car...LOL.. I see a person next to me in a Reva/Revai.... I really feel pity for him... coz U pay so much money and U get it on the road and everyone thinks U got this stuff that's desperately trying to look like a car and it runs on batteries. I wonder what the designers are upto man.... I don't understand... Batteries or solar or petrol or diesel.... it really doesn't matter... this is the worst looking car I had ever seen in my life.
There is something known as ' function preceeds form '. When on a budget, i personally look at the function. e.g. indica/indigo, the earlier models were like $hit esp. the indigo. BTW, we bought an indica in 2003.

On function front what Reva lacks is the space, I doubt a person of my height(6ft 2in.) can sit in the car. And where are the rear seats, thats a very important thing for the people who are looking at a car with limited budget. Ah!!, there are few people who will say '' save the planet '', ''second car to go to get vegetables'', I am exlucding these people.

The reason for me when I buy an EV would be the low cost of operation rather than saying ''saving the planet''. I might still be polluting the earth, for the sake of generating electricity. If the government understands this and produce the energy only through Solar, Wind, Geothermal, and similar unconventional energy sources, then in such situations(which are unlikely to happen) I would boast about '' saving the planet''.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 26th July 2007 at 17:42.
Old 26th July 2007, 20:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

They should device a sound system which will simulate the "exhaust note" everytime you pressed the accelerator.

(Its not difficult, my Daughter has a 350z car with such an effect.)

But Revai could be very quick going 0-80. (What say?)

Last edited by 1100D : 26th July 2007 at 20:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks