Team-BHP > Electric Cars

View Poll Results: What made you switch to electric?
Lower running costs 93 63.70%
Environmental appeal 37 25.34%
Newer powertrain technology 71 48.63%
Other (feel free to specify in a post!) 16 10.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 12:45   #46
BHPian

Re: EV owners! What made you switch to electric?

I took the EV plunge a few months back with the Nexon EV Max Dark edition and despite some niggles no regrets. The primary motivation to get to an EV is zero NVH/ super silent cabin and superior drivetrain that makes for fatigue free drives. Itís hard to quantify these attributes on an excel sheet and thatís why many of these total cost of ownership calculations floating around sometimes miss the point.
This week I had a hospital visit. I took the A star automatic for a change and it reaffirmed the superior NVH and driveability of the Nexon
Old 28th September 2023, 13:11   #47
BHPian

Hello - I have tried every possible scenario to buy an EV and finally dropped the idea this month due to non availability of charging point in my high rise apartment building in Greater Noida West (I was waiting for Punch EV launch). Although since beginning of my EV search some months ago, I was aware that personal charging point will not be possible in my apartment building and have talked to builder, facility management and newly appointed AOA (Apartment Owners Association), but they are unable to provide common charging point for EV and it is highly unlikely that for next few months they will be able to get one / few common charging points (slow 15A charging point). Although I have managed to get an EV charging (slow charging or fast charging whatever I want) at 100 meter away from my apartment which is a FNG and owner live in my tower. They also have three 25kW external vendor fast chargers. However, practically it is difficult to take my EV once in 3 days for overnight charging at the FNG and this may not continue for months.

In my case, primary reason to go for EV was monthly expense saving on fuel. My majority of drive is within NCR region (more than 95%). I also own an ICE sedan so for long highway drive I can opt for either ICE or EV. My current expense on Petrol is 11K to 12K per month, which will be reduced to around 2.5K per month. That was the thought initially.

I have done some basic calculation (attached is the pic of calculation) and did some research about EV technology and future of current EVs on sale in India. As per my reading and understanding battery will not die after 8 years / 160000km. Battery performance will degrade from say 350km range to 275km range after 5 to 8 years of use. In next 5-6 years EV technology will improve, but whether improved EV technology will be helpful to current EV owners, that is doubtful. I personally feel that once EV owner get bored or EV start creating problem after long use (i.e. after 8 to 10 years or more than 1.60 lacs km driven), it will be difficult for current generation EVs to get buyer so resale will either be poor or difficult to find buyer. I had anticipated that after 8 to 10 years of use, I will scrap it and buy latest generation Car / SUV at that time or continue to use it for next 5 years or more.

I am very much interested in EV, but EV is good if you have charging point at home / own office otherwise it is better to buy Hybrid or Petrol AT.
Attached Thumbnails
EV owners! What made you switch to electric?-8-years-evpathybrid.jpg  

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 28th September 2023 at 13:13.
GoBabyGo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

We purchased the Tiago EV keeping in mind my insane office commute, purely with an intent to save money.
After about 8000 kms. this little car is the Go-To car for all of us within the family for any city duty because of the convenience and ease of driving it - mostly single pedal driving, with the Hector being relegated to solely highway duties. Occasionally we even have disputes over who gets to take the EV.
The Ease+Fun to drive with EVs is just next level. The motivation around saving money is now secondary.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
While I agree EV prices need to reduce, the combination of cheaper batteries and mass production leads to cost benefits to EV.

Do remember, our petrol and diesel is also subsidized to keep the prices where they are. If the 30000Cr is given as subsidy for EVs, we can give a subsidy of 5lakhs to 6lakh EVs.

Petrol is sold for a loss of 17₹/litre, today's crude prices are so high, govt is subsidizing a foreign commodity we buy with dollars.

If we understand the reasons for why Pakistan is bankrupt we will know the prime reason is subsidizing foreign fuel where the money left the economy forever.

https://m.timesofindia.com/fuel-subs...w/97532897.cms
While I'm no expert, a couple of thoughts on this:

- There are also periods where OMCs are allowed to recover past losses when the price of oil goes down without passing on the entire benefit to consumers;

- If the Central Government earns 6-7 lac crore as taxes on petrol, and then uses this revenue (or other tax revenue) to pass on a 30K crore subsidy to OMC, so what?

They could very well choose to decrease taxes each time oil prices to up so that the oil companies continue to get market value to begin with, rather than this round about 'subsidy' route, and achieve the same result. I'm no expert and won't comment on reasons for doing so, but I suppose they don't want to keep changing the tax rates every few days/weeks either to account for fluctuation, nor do they want to use higher dollar reserves for import when prices are high perhaps.

The point is (and rightly so) the government is choosing to keep taxes on the EV ecosystem lower than ICE/oil because by themselves EVs cannot presently compete with ICEs in the Indian market on price. You never know what kind of taxes of EVs and even on electricity used for charging EVs we may end up paying in future - the government will not want to loose too much revenue.

Bottom line still is that its not a bad time at all to buy an EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hello - I have tried every possible scenario to buy an EV and finally dropped the idea this month due to non availability of charging point in my high rise apartment building in Greater Noida West (I was waiting for Punch EV launch). Although since beginning of my EV search some months ago, I was aware that personal charging point will not be possible in my apartment building and have talked to builder, facility management and newly appointed AOA (Apartment Owners Association), but they are unable to provide common charging point for EV and it is highly unlikely that for next few months they will be able to get one / few common charging points (slow 15A charging point). Although I have managed to get an EV charging (slow charging or fast charging whatever I want) at 100 meter away from my apartment which is a FNG and owner live in my tower. They also have three 25kW external vendor fast chargers. However, practically it is difficult to take my EV once in 3 days for overnight charging at the FNG and this may not continue for months.
This must be very disappointing. Building associations and discoms will need to find innovative ways to solve for this. It really is an unfortunate bottleneck for EV adoption at the moment. I would skip on the EV too if I was in your place - simply not practical enough.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2023 at 17:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 28th September 2023, 16:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
The point is (and rightly so) the government is choosing to keep taxes on the EV ecosystem lower than ICE/oil because by themselves EVs cannot presently compete with ICEs in the Indian market on price. You never know what kind of taxes of EVs and even on electricity used for charging EVs we may end up paying in future - the government will not want to loose too much revenue
At the risk of going off topic - The reason for the taxes to be low on EVs is straight forward advantage of not needing to import crude oil. Our crude imports touched all time high last fiscal year -"Imports rose in 2022-23 as fuel demand hit an all-time high of 222.3mn t, up by 8.8pc from 204.23mn t during 2021-22"

Source - link

Yes, the govt will loose out on revenue from taxing petroleum products but the import bill reduction is bigger advantage and this will reduce the need of taxes. Please understand taxes are any government's income to foot its expenses. If you remove the expense itself, the need of the income reduces as well.

Note to Mods - Please remove the post if this is irrelevant to this thread
ferrarirules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 17:08   #51
BHPian

For me it was mainly 3 things
1. The speed and refinement
2. The no road tax
3. Run cost
Old 28th September 2023, 17:11   #52
BHPian

Given the initial upfront higher cost of EVs, can they recover the cost if using only external (or non-subsidized) power options?

India is not a power surplus nation. We still have a huge shortfall with large power cuts. With massive adoption of EVs, will the grid sustain? And more importantly, will the govt. continue to subsidize the EV charging?
Old 28th September 2023, 18:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Given the initial upfront higher cost of EVs, can they recover the cost if using only external (or non-subsidized) power options?

India is not a power surplus nation. We still have a huge shortfall with large power cuts. With massive adoption of EVs, will the grid sustain? And more importantly, will the govt. continue to subsidize the EV charging?
Who subsidizing EV charging in India? - Public chargers are charging commercial electricity rates even going up till Rs 24 per unit. The residential electricity is charged as per state govt electricity rates - Rs 7.1 per unit in my area. As the demand increases, the production will increase as well. The reason for power cuts usually is not due to lack of electricity, it is due to lack of reliable infrastructure or the state discom in shambles due to inept management.
ferrarirules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post

This must be very disappointing. Building associations and discoms will need to find innovative ways to solve for this. It really is an unfortunate bottleneck for EV adoption at the moment. I would skip on the EV too if I was in your place - simply not practical enough.
Hi Fiero - Yes, I am slightly disappointed, it is just that my anticipated EV has not yet launched (Punch EV). I don't think it will be easy for high rise apartments to provide common charging points to residents. EV charging will always be shared and in short span of time, there may be fight amongst the EV owners of that apartment for charging. Discoms will not be able to provide individual EV charging points in high rise apartment due to safety & fire issues, which is fair in my honest view.

As of now I am out of EV thoughts for myself till I find a dedicated charging point either at home or at office premise. Although in last 20 days I have managed to get two fantastic deals one is MG ZS EV at Delhi (for a Sr. VP in my office) and second is Kia EV6 AWD at Noida (for my Boss family)

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 28th September 2023 at 18:49.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 19:19   #55
BHPian

I have added a Nexon EV max to my garage 2 months back, replacing my 8 year old Polo.

I was looking for a smooth automatic car, which will be mainly doing daily commute in B2B traffic of Kochi (around 50km daily).

The thingsIi like in Nexon ev max are:

- Very smooth and refine powertrain with instant acceleration. I find it very addictive. Drive is much better than other automatic options in this price range.

- Low / zero running cost (I have a 5.8 kw roof top solar plant which covers electricity for home and car. This also reduced my frustration in getting stuck in a traffic jam)

- Low expected maintenance (will definitely appreciate when upgrading from a VW. I spent nearly 1 lakh rupees in maintenance last year alone, which included replacing 2 injectors, clutch assembly, coolant pump and yearly maintenance)

- Regenerative breaking, I was always a fan of engine breaking and this one takes it to another level. You can choose the amount of regenerative breaking.

- Zero emissions, appealing but it was never a primary reason.
Old 28th September 2023, 20:09   #56
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Voted for saving running costs.
For the family we bought EV scooter. The reason being there are lots of times three members from my family need to scoot out for 2km to 7km daily. This I thought was perfect reason to buy EV scooter. I charge once in 2 weeks and so far we are having good results.
Secondly parking 90k in the bank wonít give me much interest, this I spent on the EV and I donít have to spend anymore on fuels.
Old 28th September 2023, 20:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Who subsidizing EV charging in India? - Public chargers are charging commercial electricity rates even going up till Rs 24 per unit. The residential electricity is charged as per state govt electricity rates - Rs 7.1 per unit in my area. As the demand increases, the production will increase as well. The reason for power cuts usually is not due to lack of electricity, it is due to lack of reliable infrastructure or the state discom in shambles due to inept management.
Isn't the tax structure for residential and commercial electricity inverted from that of fossil fuels? So if the only way to charge the EV is through commercial charging, will people buy them in the same number as now?
Old 28th September 2023, 21:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the tax structure for residential and commercial electricity inverted from that of fossil fuels? So if the only way to charge the EV is through commercial charging, will people buy them in the same number as now?
Inverted tax structure?? Sorry I didn't get you there. The barrel price today is about to touch $100 and USD to INR conversion is also at all time high if the fuel becomes more expensive then yes it will make sense to buy EV even if the charging option is only commercial charger.

Also this thread is about the reasons for buying an EV, as you can observe from other BHPian's responses other than lower running cost better drive is a big factor in impacting the choice.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 22:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
At the risk of going off topic - The reason for the taxes to be low on EVs is straight forward advantage of not needing to import crude oil. Our crude imports touched all time high last fiscal year -[i]"Imports rose in 2022-23 as fuel demand hit an all-time high of 222.3mn t, up by 8.8pc from 204.23mn t during 2021-22"
Didn't quite get this. Regardless of oil import savings, the government can and will in future increase the GST on EVs from the present concessional rate of 5% to potentially ICE levels of up to 28% (and potentially even some kind of cess for larger luxury vehicles). This could make a significant difference to the on-road price. As an energy security and forex reserve perspective I agree the government needs to incentivize EVs, especially local battery manufacturing.
Old 29th September 2023, 09:37   #60

Quote:
And more importantly, will the govt. continue to subsidize the EV charging?
Am sorry, did I miss something? I am charging my Nexon at home with the armored wire sprung from my regular electricity meter. And I am paying regular price (sometimes even 8 rs a unit when the overall consumption maxes out in summer months).

Where is which government subsidizing the EV charging? If there is something like this happening, then it must apply to my refrigerator and ACs too. And my shaving kit charger as well.

That's not the case. Is it?
KingAlec is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed