Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2024, 14:13   #16
BHPian

Re: BYD Seal : A Close Look

In the UAE, BYD Seal is available in two variants. Only the performance variant is prized at 45 Lakhs while the other variant premium is not available as yet.
wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 14:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
EVs were cheaper to run, now they are getting cheaper to buy than their hybrid competitors.

I hope our govt allows chinese car and battery makers to expand in India, under the condition of majority Indian control, Indian management and time bound make in India. If JSW Sajjan Jindal can majority own MG India, perhaps BYD India can be majority owned by Ambani.. Long term, It can make India into a major exporter of EVs.
Slightly off topic though, Fisker is also looking to enter India as per reports.
In a recent CNBC interview, Henrik Fisker said that they have started licensing their parts, patents and even their dedicated EV platform to ease their debt burden. Also, Fisker has always been too keen on CONTRACT MANUFACTURING their cars.

So why exactly can't some of the big names in the Indian startup space leverage all the above points, gain technology and expertise through the licensing route and make better EVs than the 40Kwh Nexons we get these days???

Why only Mahindra is taking the MEB from VW? Why not new startups are making EVs in India like China has? Why most Indian startups want to work alone and focus mainly on the 2Wheeler space? If any member on this forum can educate me on this, I'd be happy to learn.

Last edited by uditanshh : 8th March 2024 at 14:54.
uditanshh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 15:19   #18
BHPian

Great car, as someone who is not fully sold on EVs - making these options available in India opens up competition and thus bring in better value products to our market. Atto 3 was a great launch and now this, hope BYD gets permissions to expand business here. VinFast is more of a dump and not BYD.
Old 8th March 2024, 15:56   #19
BHPian

I applaud BYD's pricing, and their decision to bring such an amazing car to India.

It is going to be impossible for ICE / Hybrids to match or even come close to EV level power while being competitively priced. Soon, I think regardless of pricing ICEs and Hybrids will be known as the slow cars.

If BYD and other manufacturers can bring in EVs priced this well and offer good range and power, it will hasten the end of ICEs in India. Remember how quickly VHS died in India, it languished in the US for years longer? We tend to adapt quicker than other countries.

The argument of range anxiety will only last so long. You will soon see cars with more than 500 kms range at very good prices and charging infrastructure will improve drastically as EV adoption increases.

Us Indians dropped diesels like a hot potato the minute it became expensive to run. ICEs and Hybrids will follow the same path.

Indians aren't like consumers in other countries when it comes to choosing products. Take for example the US where people flock to Tesla and Apple. Buying any other brand is looked down upon and there is a lot of peer pressure.

I think most Indians will simply choose the best product available for the price regardless of the snob value it holds. This is why Xiaomi reigns supreme in mobile phones, which was until recently dominated by Samsung. This is why I don't think the Tesla model Y will ever be number one in India.

There is already plenty of protection for Indian EV manufacturers, and BYD is showing why they are on their way to number one. More protection for Indian manufacturers will lead to them becoming even less innovative and will not be able to compete on a global stage. India as a country will lose if this happens.

Lastly, I am not the least bit worried about India vs China border issues leading to anything meaningful in our imports. China is already one of our leading trading partners and both India and China have way too much to lose to jeopardize that. I am sure both our countries will find a way to ensure business continues as usual, and the border skirmishes are used only for headline grabs and political gains.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 8th March 2024 at 15:59. Reason: Grammar
Chrome6Boy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Test Drove the BYD Seal in Andheri West, Mumbai

Landmark BYD Mumbai has started the test drive of the Seal. They have the Seal Premium in the Arctic Blue Variant which looks gorgeous!

A bit of a background: I own a Nexon EV (2021 model, driven over 25k km) and have test driven the ZS EV, Kona EV, BYD Atto3, Ioniq 5 in the past. The BYD Seal makes all others seem like overpriced toys!

Had a 1.5-2km drive on the busy Andheri Road and hence could not open the car up much. Briefly Drove it on the Sports mode in which the acceleration definitely feels stronger than the Ioniq5. The Premium Variant has a 0-100 claim of 5.9 seconds so it is definitely faster than the similarly priced Ioniq5. The heads up display is very crisp and the sales advisor mentioned it has some Hologram Tech so only the driver can see it. I almost didn't need to even check the instrument cluster, which BTW is substantially bigger than the one in Atto3

The AC has really cool features too, you can change the direction of air flow from the huge centre display. Personally I would have preferred a few physical buttons for essential controls but this shouldn't really be a deal breaker. The ventilated seats work well, I could feel my back cooler in just 5-10 seconds post turning it on.

Another big thing is the glass roof which unlike a panoramic sunroof doesn't have a shade. The glass did seem well tinted so I guess there wouldn't be a tanning problem for passengers inside. The glass roof on touch does feel very hot, so that's best to be avoided! The AC does a very good job at cooling this large cabin car with a Glass roof.

There is a frunk which can be used to store charging related accessories. The bootspace was also very decent and more than sufficient for most people I believe. There's no spare wheel but a puncture repair kit has been provided which sits under the boot(the rear one) floor. One very interesting thing I noted - they've provided a reflective vest too! with the puncture repair kit Very thoughtful of BYD to have done this, other should follow this too.

Last but not the least I would like to appreciate the wonderful customer service provided by Landmark BYD Mumbai. My sales advisor Henry had great knowledge about the car and also how it is better than the other cars in the market. It has to be one of the best dealership experiences I've had in the recent past. With such good dealership experience and fantastic cars at affordable prices (Read Value for Money) I believe BYD is all set to bring an EV Revolution in India.
Attached Thumbnails
BYD Seal : A Close Look-20240308_135718.jpg  

BYD Seal : A Close Look-screenshot_20240308_161541_gallery.jpg  

BYD Seal : A Close Look-screenshot_20240308_161612_gallery.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th March 2024 at 16:43. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please.
StrykerEV05 is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 17:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerEV05 View Post
Test Drove the BYD Seal in Andheri West, Mumbai

Had a 1.5-2km drive on the busy Andheri Road and hence could not open the car up much. Briefly Drove it on the Sports mode in which the acceleration definitely feels stronger than the Ioniq5. The Premium Variant has a 0-100 claim of 5.9 seconds so it is definitely faster than the similarly priced Ioniq5.
How was the ride quality and handling of the car? Some reviews mention a relatively stiff ride.

Did you get to test out the ground clearance on any speed breakers? Does it seem manageable on our roads?
Kevinrevvz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 17:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
How was the ride quality and handling of the car? Some reviews mention a relatively stiff ride.

Did you get to test out the ground clearance on any speed breakers? Does it seem manageable on our roads?
Just 2 of us were in the car - The sales advisor on the passenger seat and me on the drivers seat. So the car was not on full load. Please keep this in mind while reading the below.

The ride is slightly stiff, but that's kinda expected from a sports sedan. But it wasn't anywhere close to bone jarring. In fact the bolstered bucket seats really hold you in place and have one of the best cushioning and ventilation. So the ride was very good from the drivers seat! (Attaching pics of the seat from behind)

Did go over an average sized speed breaker just before Juhu Circle. It did not scrape even after going straight ahead (didn't take it sideways because the sales advisor mentioned that it didn't scrape last time). Mind you that this was the Premium Variant, the Performance one is slightly heavier and I don't know if that will scrape or not. Someone will have to test this with full load - 4/5 full size adults with luggage in the boot. I took the car over a few imperfections on the road too, quite typical of the road in front of the byd showroom at Andheri. The car didn't break a sweat.

About the manageable part - The steering is quite light (atleast in the city at low speeds), so the U Turn I took just before the Juhu Circle was a breeze. The car is slightly long (4.8m+) so the driver will have to be careful in traffic. The high resolution 360 camera, ADAS Level 2 will help in the daily world in maneuvering the car. With some practice this can easily be used as a daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails
BYD Seal : A Close Look-screenshot_20240308_173730_gallery.jpg  

BYD Seal : A Close Look-screenshot_20240308_173609_gallery.jpg  

StrykerEV05 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 18:38   #23
BHPian

I wish they make a coupe convertible model with almost the same dimensions. Will be a hoot to drive sports car.
SakJel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 19:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditanshh View Post
Slightly off topic though, Fisker is also looking to enter India as per reports.
In a recent CNBC interview, Henrik Fisker said that they have started licensing their parts, patents and even their dedicated EV platform to ease their debt burden. Also, Fisker has always been too keen on CONTRACT MANUFACTURING their cars.

--
OT:
Fisker is in problem. Fisker wants to partner with another automaker before it goes bankrupt. Fisker says it doesn't currently have enough money to stay in business for another 12 months.
Nissan is in extensive negotiations to invest in electric vehicle maker Fisker, potentially giving the struggling startup a financial lifeline.

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 00:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakJel View Post
I wish they make a coupe convertible model with almost the same dimensions. Will be a hoot to drive sports car.
Can't agree with you more.. We have just about every other design cars but there is not a single 2-door cars south of 50 Lakhs. We need one under 25 L, democritazation of sports cars. The only one we ever saw was Zen Carbon which was too ahead of its time. I go weak-kneed every time I see a 2-door convertible. But it's the preserve of the rich as all 2-door cars are in premium class with near or over 8-digit price tags. This is where EV and Chinese step in. Put these two words together and you can get a smashing looking 2-door targa-top with a matching performance, thanks to electric. I wonder why Tata or Mahindra didn't venture into this virgin segment, instead of all fighting it out in the same crowded segments. See what a 2-door Thar did to SUV market.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 01:40   #26
BHPian

Hey guys,

I know its been mentioned already but the only 2 issues I see with this is the panoramic sun(moon)roof which has no curtain. We all know the Indian summer and while BYD may have claims about the heat insulation details, I (personally) still feel this might be a problem for at least 6-8 months in the year.

Second, the dismal ground clearance. I believe its around 145mm. While some BYD sales advisors say that even some luxury cars like Audi, BMW and Mercedes have low ground clearance, it is still above 145mm, I believe its around 160mm. And this is UNLADEN. So like someone mentioned above, this will need to be tested with full load of 4/5 people and luggage to see how it affects the drives.

Other than these 2 points, I really cant fault the car or its pricing. Everything else seems to be bang on! (so far)
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 08:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditanshh View Post
, Fisker has always been too keen on CONTRACT MANUFACTURING their cars.

So why exactly can't some of the big names in the Indian startup space leverage all the above points, gain technology and expertise through the licensing route and make better EVs than the 40Kwh Nexons we get these days???

Why only Mahindra is taking the MEB from VW? Why not new startups are making EVs in India like China has? Why most Indian startups want to work alone and focus mainly on the 2Wheeler space? If any member on this forum can educate me on this, I'd be happy to learn.

It is because of the eco system. In china you can create a mobile phone brand in 1 day. All parts are available from a tiny screw to a touch screen.

In India new businesses struggle to get a basic GST registration approved. I have seen this happening personally a gst number was rejected due to minor address issue.

The basic eco system is just not ready. Also cars require a lot of testing and it takes established players in India or the world over so many years to launch a new model. Just imagine a newbie starting an automobile brand without any eco system at his disposal. It will require a little more than sheer luck to launch a car and be successful.

I respect Bhavish Aggrawal just for this reason. He is the pioneer you are looking for.
psbali is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 12:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
It is because of the eco system.
Rightly said, China has provided that eco system. Simply put the Entrepreneurs have aligned themselves exactly with the Government (Mostly Chinese Government forced that alignment ) - so only they have more than 100 car companies and in that 58% of them have been started in last 10 years only. They also have the support of the electronics production facilities coupled with the skilled labor support - they are rocking (more like over producing) compared to other manufacturers.

In India too much Bureaucrac(z)y, with each Government change they have to appease and oil the new mechanism ! Only two organisations have come up in our country, but with so many reliability & after sales issues.
Thyag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 08:42   #29
BHPian

I do not wish to dampen the enthusiasm of my fellow members but isn’t this -

a. Too low slung for Indian roads?
b. Too long too?
c. Warranty or not, A.S.S. is a completely unknown element at the moment

I can see why this car will do well initially given its feature list, specs and driving range but so did the Daewoo Cielo. I would be circumspect buying the first batch.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 18:46   #30
RS_

Just coming from a test drive for Seal (thanks Landmark, Andheri).

Happy to confirm, the ground clearance is not an issue (the route had speed breakers of various heights and sophistication).

Only issue is compared to my current 2015 Skoda Superb (1.8 TSI) that I am looking to replace, the cabin didnt feel any more premium. To be fair, I felt the same about M340i, so maybe its me.

I may still go ahead with Seal (though not sure between Performance or Premium versions), but I feel over the years I have fallen in love with Superb with its in cabin feel, the cabin character, to a level where I am not sure whether I should wait for CBU Superb anticipated in next few months or go ahead with Seal.
RS_ is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed