Team-BHP > Electric Cars


Reply
  Search this Thread
1,304 views
Old 2nd April 2024, 21:41   #1
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 340
Thanked: 236 Times
Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Hi All,

I am scheduled to travel from Delhi to Indore and back to Delhi ( visiting Mahakaal and Omkareshwar Jyotirlingas) in June 2024.

Can someone suggest a good route where I will have apt charging infrastructure. Is it recommended to take the Delhi - Mumbai Expressway. I have heard its open till vadodara however not sure about charging stations.

I own a Hyundai Ioniq 5 with a feasible range of 450 kms. Any recommendation, past experience is highly appreciated.

Current route on plugshare shows this
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi -  Indore - Delhi - EV charging options-plugshare.png  

Alive2Drive is offline  
Old 2nd April 2024, 22:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR51/HR29/HR26
Posts: 2,736
Thanked: 21,088 Times
re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

I am scheduled to travel from Delhi to Indore and back to Delhi ( visiting Mahakaal and Omkareshwar Jyotirlingas) in June 2024.

Can someone suggest a good route where I will have apt charging infrastructure. Is it recommended to take the Delhi - Mumbai Expressway. I have heard its open till vadodara however not sure about charging stations.

I own a Hyundai Ioniq 5 with a feasible range of 450 kms. Any recommendation, past experience is highly appreciated.

Current route on plugshare shows this
Driving on the expressway at a sustained 110-120kmph will drain your car’s battery in half of that ‘feasible’ figure. For reference, the 40kwh battery of my Nexon EV LR went from 100 to less than 20% in about 130km at those speeds.Charging infra on the expressway is inexistent post Dausa. You won’t make it to Ujjain/Indore. You’ll have to get off the expressway at least twice and find a place to charge. Or you will have to drive all the way with cruise set to 80kmph, and drive at the speed of the trucks. Net net, change your route (Gwalior-Shivpuri-Guna-Dewas), or take a petrol or diesel car.

If you are brave enough to treat this like an adventure, pls do a trail run on the expressway beforehand to Dausa to see what kind of range you are realistically getting. Don’t attempt this blindly.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd April 2024 at 22:50.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 12:40   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 150 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

You realistically need 2 charging stops. Don’t forget the efficiency drop of using AC, it drains battery faster than 120KMPh speeds. During my trip this weekend from Bangalore to madurai I got about 350 KMS range on my EV6 with AC set to 21C
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 14:22   #4
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 340
Thanked: 236 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Thanks so much guys for the inputs! I am still looking out on Plugshare and seeing if i can find any more charging options near till Vadodara .
Alive2Drive is offline  
Old 4th April 2024, 14:37   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,204
Thanked: 352 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Come via Agra, Gwalior, Shivpuri, Guna, Biaora, Maksi, Ujjain (4 Lane all the way till Maksi then a good 2 Lane till Ujjain). You will find Hyundai service centers in almost all these cities except Biaora and Maksi. In case you need any help, I am from Indore, feel free to call me.

Last edited by mercedised : 4th April 2024 at 14:38.
mercedised is offline  
Old 4th April 2024, 16:03   #6
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 340
Thanked: 236 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Come via Agra, Gwalior, Shivpuri, Guna, Biaora, Maksi, Ujjain (4 Lane all the way till Maksi then a good 2 Lane till Ujjain). You will find Hyundai service centers in almost all these cities except Biaora and Maksi. In case you need any help, I am from Indore, feel free to call me.
Thanks so much ! I will seek this route also as an option and will see if i find any gap in charging options on this route.


Not all Hyundai centres have Charging options hence will have to seek this route.
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 11:01   #7
BHPian
 
ferrarirules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 705
Thanked: 2,500 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

I am scheduled to travel from Delhi to Indore and back to Delhi ( visiting Mahakaal and Omkareshwar Jyotirlingas) in June 2024.

Can someone suggest a good route where I will have apt charging infrastructure. Is it recommended to take the Delhi - Mumbai Expressway. I have heard its open till vadodara however not sure about charging stations.

I own a Hyundai Ioniq 5 with a feasible range of 450 kms. Any recommendation, past experience is highly appreciated.

Current route on plugshare shows this
This is absolutely do able in an Ioniq 5. The Delhi Mumbai expressway is up and running till Sawai Madhopur. There are 2 chargers (Voltic and IOCL) on the expressway till Dausa/Jaipur exit and there are many very near to Dausa exit (Tata Power, Voltpanda).


Given that you have a Ioniq 5 and you can go 400 km without a charge stop. You can directly go to Sawai Madhopur which 364 kms from Delhi. You can take a charge and food break there.


Post that you can take NH 148N which goes to Kota and then Ujjain. Sawai Madhopur to Ujjain is 388(via NH 148N) or 438 (via NH52) kms . You can take a small charging stops in Kota if you take the longer route.

Last edited by ferrarirules : 5th April 2024 at 11:12.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 12:17   #8
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 340
Thanked: 236 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
This is absolutely do able in an Ioniq 5. The Delhi Mumbai expressway is up and running till Sawai Madhopur.

This is really helpful. I will seek my options here.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th April 2024 at 06:50. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Alive2Drive is offline  
Old 5th April 2024, 13:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR51/HR29/HR26
Posts: 2,736
Thanked: 21,088 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Another point to note is that the IOCL/Voltic chargers near the Dausa exit have the most horrible amenities. Poor food, minimal options. The good rest stops that have McDonalds, Starbucks, Domino’s and proper clean washrooms do not have charging setup.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 23:20   #10
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 340
Thanked: 236 Times

I think post some research, this is what I have figured out as a plan for travel

Delhi - > Volttic Charging station on NE4 (178 Kms) -> Radhika Resort ( 339 Kms from Voltic Charging Station -> Meghdoot Resort Ujjain ( 278 kms from Radhika Resort) -> Indore

This should be the way back also unless we have different and better route. Inputs appreciated.

Another alternate route which i can understand is

Delhi - Agra - Gwalior (Keshar Towers 380 kms from home) - Guna Charging ( 223 kms ) - Indore where we have multiple charging options ( 276 kms from Guna)

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th April 2024 at 06:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Alive2Drive is offline  
Old 6th April 2024, 03:23   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Thane
Posts: 25
Thanked: 94 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Unrelated to the route, I have done many long trips from Mumbai to Rajasthan & Gujarat. As advised by others speeds of above 100 are unsustainable, you’ll drain your battery in no time.

What I do is keep speed fixed around 90 in eco mode at regen level 3. That easily gives me range of upwards of 450 kms & I charge every 350 kms or so. Have done more than 950kms in a day as well following this.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th April 2024 at 06:09. Reason: Please use caps where required. (E.g. “i” —> “I”; “mumbai” —> “Mumbai” etc.)
Ashutosh_kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 07:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR51/HR29/HR26
Posts: 2,736
Thanked: 21,088 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
I think post some research, this is what I have figured out as a plan for travel

Delhi - > Volttic Charging station on NE4 (178 Kms) -> Radhika Resort ( 339 Kms from Voltic Charging Station -> Meghdoot Resort Ujjain ( 278 kms from Radhika Resort) -> Indore

This should be the way back also unless we have different and better route. Inputs appreciated.

Another alternate route which i can understand is

Delhi - Agra - Gwalior (Keshar Towers 380 kms from home) - Guna Charging ( 223 kms ) - Indore where we have multiple charging options ( 276 kms from Guna)
Radhika Resort is Kota City. Getting all the way there from Volttic via the expressway will be a nerve wracking affair of range anxiety if you drive ‘normally’, in one go. You’ll end up driving slow to make sure you make it with ample margin of safety. The Deoli-Bundi-Kota road is also in top shape, allows you to drive at 100-120.

Furthermore, Radhika is a 30kw charger, not a 50 or 60kw one. You will be making a detour off your route especially to charge, and will then charge on a slower charger. All of which costs extra time.

A workaround is that there is a 60kw Tata Power charger at Surya Mahal, Deoli. You can have a quick 15-20 min top up here, coinciding with a snack and bio break. This takes care of range anxiety, and will reduce the amount of slower charging you will have to do at Kota.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 08:14   #13
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 819
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Is it recommended to take the Delhi - Mumbai Expressway. I have heard its open till vadodara however not sure about charging stations.
There was a news of a high speed high power EV charging station opening near Alwar on the Delhi-Dausa expressway few month ago. If you start early, you can plan a breakfast halt at there. Then you can have second charge at Kota on some fast charging point or at Tata/Hyundai/MG showroom/service station (Confirm with them if they have fast charging point).

Kota is converted into a traffic signal free city, there are no red lights anywhere so not a pain to drive in the city area like other Indian cities we are used to. You can also plan a visit to recently renovated riverfront while your car is put on charge.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th April 2024 at 08:28.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 08:28   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
PaddleShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CHD
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 2,706 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

There is a charging station at an Indian Oil Petrol Pump approx 59km before Alwar. You can easily spot it as the second resting area from Delhi side with a large banner stating that this is the last petrol pump of Haryana. There is a McDonalds nearby as well.

I am going to Indore within the next 2 days on a urgent basis (I dont have EV). Shall update if I come across charging stations on the direct route.

I am taking the same route as shown by you in the opening post. Google states that it is the fastest. Hope roads between Sawai Madhopur and Indore are good.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 13:59   #15
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 340
Thanked: 236 Times
Re: Delhi - Indore - Delhi - EV charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
There is a charging station at an Indian Oil Petrol Pump approx 59km before Alwar. You can easily spot it as the second resting area from Delhi side with a large banner stating that this is the last petrol pump of Haryana. There is a McDonalds nearby as well.

I am going to Indore within the next 2 days on a urgent basis (I dont have EV). Shall update if I come across charging stations on the direct route.

I am taking the same route as shown by you in the opening post. Google states that it is the fastest. Hope roads between Sawai Madhopur and Indore are good.
It will be great if you can share your experience and details of charging stations if any and if it is not too inconvenient for you
Alive2Drive is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks