Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2024, 11:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Xiaomi SU7 electric sedan now demands 7 month waiting period, amidst robust demand

Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Xiaomi, entered the EV segment recently with the launch of its first car, the SU7 electric sedan. The EV is currently available exclusively in its home market of China and is said to be witnessing robust demand.

According to reports, the waiting period for the Xiaomi SU7 is already up to 7 months. Reports cited Xiaomi's car app, which advised potential buyers of a wait time for the SU7, anywhere between 4-7 months. Having launched at a lavish event in Beijing recently, the company claimed that the SU7 had already garnered close to 89,000 pre-orders within 24 hours.

Xiaomi SU7 electric sedan now demands 7 month waiting period, amidst robust demand-xiaomi.jpg

In China, the Xiaomi SU7 directly rivals the likes of the Tesla Model 3 and is offered in 3 variants: Standard, Pro & Max. The SU7 Standard, priced at 215,900 yuan ($30,000), even undercuts the Tesla Model 3. The Pro and Max variants are priced at 245,900 yuan and 299,900 yuan, respectively.

Reports also stated that Xiaomi even released two special versions of the SU7, called the "Founder's Edition", which come with complimentary gifts. The first 5,000 units of these special edition versions sold out immediately.

Source: Reuters

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 12:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Xiaomi SU7 electric sedan now demands 7 month waiting period, amidst robust demand

Who here remembers the flash sales of Redmi 1s by Xiaomi back in 2014

On a serious note this seems a very capable EV, the democratization of Performance is like never before
mally2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 13:28   #3
BHPian

Re: Xiaomi SU7 electric sedan now demands 7 month waiting period, amidst robust demand

One of the good reviews of this car that I came across.

Thilak29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 13:32   #4
BHPian

That radar module (?) above the windshield reminds me of a taxi light. I Can't un-see it now.
Mr.Bentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:04   #5

What a good looking car! Also the interior looks to be of great quality and hope it feels like wise. The package is very much VFM similar to the Xiaomi phones. The only if - would it come to India?
Old 3rd April 2024, 18:08   #6

Stylish looking car! I wish Indian EV makers adopt this kind of design language.

Also it is interesting to note that the video doesn't mention BYD as a competitor, though both are in the same segment.
Jupizire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 10:50   #7
BHPian

A Car launched by a Mobile Phone Manufacturer. We may see other Mobile Phone manufacturers lining up their launches soon Vivo, Oppo etc.

Electronics, Remote Health monitoring of Vehicle and other software Technology are value added features in a Car and car manufacturers outsource them.
But it appears that these Value Added Service providers will start outsourcing the Car manufacturing. In future more such cars may come from FUJITSU, HITACHI, ABB and what not.

Atleast I will prefer Car by a Car manufacturer.
Apex1815 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 11:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
Atleast I will prefer Car by a Car manufacturer.
This line will get thin and thin as EV gets more mainstream, I will wait for sometime to see how these cars fare, and if they stand the test of the time, will prefer these as they will anyday be much more VFM.

Xiaomi has started on a bang let us see how they sustain, sales part was easy for them, it is the after sales which will tell the real story.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 15:55   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
That radar module (?) above the windshield reminds me of a taxi light. I Can't un-see it now.
And you had to show it to us
Now even I can't unseen it.
Lets see if it ever comes to our shores in any near future.
It will be fun to see likes of these and Tesla's driven in Indian conditions.
Rohitthebest is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 16:07   #10
BHPian

I truly love these developments and hope the competition gets better and better in the years ahead.

For one - Mr. Elon Musk will realize that arrogance isn't going to take him and Tesla anywhere. The time when he laughed out at BYD to a reporter - "Did you see their car?" is as synonymous to Ballmer laughing out at iPhone when it was launched. Eventually Ballmer had to eat his own words and accept the realities.

I hope something like that happens here too with BYD, Xiaomi and the likes coming up with really cool cars like these. These smaller companies seem to be doing far better than the likes of Apple who took a shot at making electric cars and had to shut down their efforts.

So kudos to these companies and I sincerely hope they are successful.
sudeepg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 17:22   #11
BHPian

If Xiaomi has global ambition with their cars, why aren't they buying dead automotive brands similar to what SAIC did with MG?

Pontiac, Saturn, Mercury, Edsel, AMC all have been dead for a while. And maybe there are few more. Tapping into the heritage and launching brands that are inspired by vintage design will help the brand much more than just launching another generic looking EV.
Old 5th April 2024, 19:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
If Xiaomi has global ambition with their cars, why aren't they buying dead automotive brands similar to what SAIC did with MG?

Pontiac, Saturn, Mercury, Edsel, AMC all have been dead for a while.
Because Xiaomi's ambition seems clear - to be a Global EV maker and because all of the brands you mentioned above are dying - as you precisely put it! No real appeal, following or USP to have any sense of value to an EV maker.

Morris Garrages, however niche had intense cult appeal not to mention a British heritage which has a marketing value of its own to SAIC.

Besides, for an EV maker like Xiaomi, why would they ever wish to spend money on an aging technology and look at reinventing the ICE machine when they can make such lovely products like the SU7. It'll be like swimming against the tide and burning money in one stroke.
Old 5th April 2024, 22:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hume View Post
Besides, for an EV maker like Xiaomi, why would they ever wish to spend money on an aging technology and look at reinventing the ICE machine when they can make such lovely products like the SU7. It'll be like swimming against the tide and burning money in one stroke.
Xiaomi won't buy aging tech, just the brand and associated trademarks since the brands I mentioned have stopped production ages ago. This along with vintage inspired design gives the car instant heritage. Look at Cadillac, if Lyriq can make the brand relevant again, then these brands can also rise from the dead with smart EV lineup.

Secondly, more and more people in USA and the west are converting classic cars into EVs so the brand love is still there. VW was pretty much forced to bring back the Van seeing the popularity of the after market conversion and people bwggind them to relaunch it in EV version.

Thirdly, popularity of Netflixs shows like Rust to Riches and multiple you tube auto influencers have increased the visibility and cult following of vintage brands and cars that majority of the people are not aware of or have forgotten.

Lastly, Suzuki with everything going well in India can't break into premium segment. However hard it can try. A cheap Chinese phone manufacture, certainly with all the Chinese baggage won't be able to succeed in selling 50000$ EVs in the west.

Last edited by vellatechie : 5th April 2024 at 22:41.
Old 5th April 2024, 23:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
For one - Mr. Elon Musk will realize that arrogance isn't going to take him and Tesla anywhere. The time when he laughed out at BYD to a reporter - "Did you see their car?" is as synonymous to Ballmer laughing out at iPhone when it was launched. Eventually Ballmer had to eat his own words and accept the realities.
Elon made those comments in 2011, when BYD made absolute garbage cars that were a straight lift from Toyota designs. In recent years though, BYD has taken design more seriously (hiring lead designer from Audi) and have been launching decent to good looking cars. And now it is a name to reckon with in the EV space, and Elon has rightly acknowledged so in a recent interview.

The thing about Ballmer and iPhone is pure gold though

-
In any case, it saddens me when brands blatantly copy designs, disregard IP and push them as their own with a marketing blitzkrieg.

Xiaomi SU7 and Mahindra Thar are two recent examples. Shame!
evolvo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 09:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post

Elon has rightly acknowledged so in a recent interview.

The thing about Ballmer and iPhone is pure gold though
Do you have a link to that interview?

I strongly feel that these Chinese auto makers (and brands) must not be underestimated. China was and is the world's manufacturer of products with everyone getting their products built in China. So, it would be foolish to underestimate their ability to make these products by themselves. Just like we wanting to be the world's factory, China is also doing the same. One of the reasons why they want to gobble up Taiwan for the semiconductor manufacturing capabilities

I am also saddened when they copy designs and disregard IP. Eventually the market dictates what people are willing to spend on. I am particularly happy to see many Nexon EVs (although not a fan of Tata) and also BYD, Mahindra XUV 400 EVs on our roads and I hope there will be more competition and more importantly, better customer service experiences.

May God bless competition.

Most Viewed