Left rear panel 28 22.05%
Right rear panel 9 7.09%
Rear 14 11.02%
Other (please specify in your post) 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 14:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?

Just go through the various EV reviews that we have done and you will notice that different EVs come with their charging ports at different locations from each other. There is no standard position for them as of now. Some have their charging ports at the front, some at the rear and some on the side panels. Further, the charging port can be on the side front panel or rear panel.

If you have an EV in India, it is almost certain that you will have a wall-mounted charger. In some cases, people have also erected dedicated EV charging stations in their compounds. All in all, the position of the charging port of your EV makes a big difference because it dictates how you park the car. Let's look at some of the different positions of charging ports on EVs in India.

Front

Cars like the MG Comet, Tata Punch EV, Hyundai Kona, etc. have their charging ports at the front:
In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-f1.jpg

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-f2.jpg

Side Front Panel

Some cars like the XUV400, Citroen eC3 and BYD Atto 3 have their charging ports on the side front panel:
In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-fl1.jpg

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-fl2.jpg

Side Rear Panel

The most common place to find a charging port is on the side rear panel - just like a regular fuel flap. Cars like the Tata Nexon, Volvo XC40 recharge, BMW i4, Mercedes EQS, Hyundai Ioniq 5, etc. have their charging ports on the side rear panels:
In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-lrfull.jpg

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-lr.jpg

Rear

A charging port at the rear of a car is not common. Still, it is seen in some cars. The Kia EV6 is one such vehicle:
In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-r1.jpg

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-r2.jpg

Each of these has its pros and cons. For instance, a charging point at the front or rear of a car will be inconvenient if you have parallel parked the car along a wall on which the charger is installed. On the other hand, it can be very convenient at a charging station where angular parking is necessary.

When it comes to having charging ports on the sides, left or right will matter. Having it on the left will mean you can park close to a wall on which the charger is mounted. If the charger is on the right, you will have to stretch the cable all the way around the rear or front of the car. Or, if you want to park the car with its right side to the wall, you will have to leave a sufficient gap to open the driver's door. Unfortunately, most cars that are originally built for LHD markets have their chargers on the right, which is not convenient from an the Indian perspective.

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-rrfull.jpg

In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?-rr.jpg

So, according to you, in the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?
Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 18:09   #3
BHPian

Re: In the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
So, according to you, in the Indian perspective, what is the best location for the EV charging point?
Voted Rear. I have Kona Electric with Front Charging port, which forces me to nose in to the parking spot.
If there was a possibility of standardizing the charging port position, i think Rear would be a good choice as it allows for reverse parking.

After all, it's usually advisable to reverse park, especially if its a tight spot.

Reason for reverse parking:
While reversing its easier to go in to the parking spot, as it is the front wheels that do all the maneuvering, ending up making a wider arc than the rear.

So, the front wheels/front end of the car would be in the street where the space is wide enough, allowing it to follow this wide arc and easily guide the rear in.

Added advantage:
Reversing to exit from parking spot is unsafe and takes too much time and usually with all parking spots there is a high possibility of almost no visibility. The driver cannot see left or right and has only the narrow visibility of reversing cameras, slowly crawling out, relying on the mercy of the traffic(The patience of drivers in India and the squeezing capabilities of 2 & 3 wheelers is well known to us all).
Its either this or another person to guide us and stopping the impatient traffic.

This was also discussed here on the forum:
Now I can reverse into the spot quite easily, but for the life of me, cannot go in nose first (Can reverse into a spot, but cannot go nose in | Why?)
EV Fan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 19:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the implementation of Nexon EV and Ioniq5. Hope there is a standard location implemented by all manufacturers, helps in having shorter cables, less copper, less heavier, cables don't lie on the ground.
SKC-auto is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 08:21   #5
BHPian

Left Rear makes most sense (like Nexon) due to following reasons:
  • Potential higher costs even in case of minor front or back collision. Rear is the worst place as you have no control over when someone may damage your car. For front you still have some degree of control. However, side collisions are usually the least that happens.
  • Usually cars are parked outside the homes just near the gate for those who don't have dedicated parking inside their homes. Left Rear is the nearest place to the home wall when you park your car adjacent to your house (except rear).
  • Reverse parking for public chargers works better with Rear side chargers. However, it should be standard (left side), otherwise one car may take space for two cars in case of short charing cables. I have seen this problem in Tesla thread I believe, when other brands have started using Tesla super chargers.
  • Lastly, it seems intuitive as most fuel lids are placed on the same place. Just think of someone new renting an EV and trying to figure out where the gun goes.
Love4Cars is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 08:30   #6
BHPian

I think people are used to opening fuel caps and seeing those at the rear left side in left ORVM. Manufacturers should continue giving the charging port at the same location as it becomes a standard irrespective of what kind of vehicle it is.
Draunzer21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 08:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Charging point should always be on the side of the vehicle. Front and rear locations are totally exposed and prone to impact. So many ZS EVs are seen being driven around with their front charging flap broken. Just doesn’t work in the Indian context.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 09:04   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Left front or left rear panel is the safest place for it to be. Voted left front for differentiation from ICE variants.
The damages at front are quite probable and the last thing someone wants is to be stranded due to damaged or inoperable charging port.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 09:53   #9
BHPian

Voted for rear. I don't like cables touching the car's panels anywhere. I hate when they bring the fuel dispenser over the rear of the car which can scratch the panels. Parking with rear going in is always safe while taking out and is also more manoeuvrable.
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:26   #10
BHPian

I voted other. Because the trade offs are not clear to me.

Front/rear vs side : The argument against this are that if there is an accident then it could be seriously damaged. On the other hand I think if there is a serious accident there are more important things to worry about. The socket could be designed in such a way that it could collapse into and take less of the impact.

Lefty vs righty : Here there is a clear reason to chose left. In a country where we have right handed driving, it makes sense to place the charging port on the left side (if one decides to place it on the side whether front or back)

Finally front left vs back left : On disadvantage of the back left charging port is that one needs to take a high voltage cable all the way from the back to the front (in the case of a front drive car line Nexon)
On the other hand the left side charging port means familiarity.

So I think

1. If front wheel drive (with all the electronics in the front) either front charging/ front left side

2. If rear wheel drive (with all the electronics in the back) either back charging/ back side left.
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:57   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted Rear: As I like my vehicles reverse parked.
Easier to take out and non attention grabbing spot in residential parking.
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:58   #12
BHPian

It should be either rear right or rear left. Not anywhere front, as it does not allow for reverse parking, which is a must for safety! It should not be rear as cars getting boinked from the rear is extremely common. A little mis alignment and you could have water ingress etc. Also as cars are getting bigger, you have to really park close to the wall (in case of garages/apartment etc), then it's tough to charge again. Seriously there is no other option than rear left or right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitthebest View Post
Voted Rear: As I like my vehicles reverse parked.
Easier to take out and non attention grabbing spot in residential parking.
If it is rear, it will be exposed to all the fender benders. Also in apartments, you can't really leave one or two feet between the wall and car for charger plug in. Rear left or right should be okay.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2024 at 12:56. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:31   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
If it is rear, it will be exposed to all the fender benders. Also in apartments, you can't really leave one or two feet between the wall and car for charger plug in. Rear left or right should be okay.
Actually rear left is a pillar in my parking and rear right already have my Wife's bike charger installed.
So I can only have it in rear straight behind the car and that way it will be hidden from curious people of our society.
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:32   #14
BHPian

Those who have independent houses, according to the rules one is supposed to leave space towards right side of the house (when looking at house from street it will be on the left). So in this scenario, a car with a right charging port works. But if you reverse park a car, a left charging port works. But a car with front charging port will work for both ways.

I have also seen a video from a unknown LHD country, where people who take time to reverse park at a crowded charging station, loose the parking space to some one in another car (with front charging port) who steals the parking slot.
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:16   #15
BHPian

Voted Front,

It's primarily driven by experience at charging stations. Often times, ICE vehicles park at EV charging spots leaving a space next to them. In such situations depending on which side the EV charging port is, there is a good possibility that you will not be able to charge.

With a front charging port, the possibility of not being able to connect to the charge is minimized the most.

Folks who haven't experienced public charging stations may have a preference for left or right side of the car. Even I did before buying the ZS EV but there is a reason why Tata has moved the EV charging port to the front of the car in their latest EV i.e Tata Punch.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed