Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 16:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
srishiva, that statement of your sounds like... you know what without me spelling it out. It has 0 merit and 100% derision in it. And thats not a very healthy or smart way to judge the merit or ingenuity of an effort.
Seeing TATA cars, MUVs, goods vehicles spewing poison in the air, thats what I think. Whats ingenious or meritorious in what they are doing ? They are just adjusting to a time when emission norms might make them irrelevant. Its business.
Personally, I don't like the hideous vehicles they make. Mahindras are going to come up with better vehicles. Polluting the environment on the pretext of providing cheap vehicles is not what I like.
Again my views are not going to change and is purely personal.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

Just as the fanatics also have their own personal views? Fact is everyone else finds them irrational. Not liking something or someone is understandable. But only spewing venom even where it is irrelevant is sheerly immature.
Old 20th June 2008, 17:39   #18
BHPian

Maruti & Hyundai should start following them.

One of the inflation factor in India is due to the fuel cost which plays primary role in transport of goods. Fuel cells, electric, air , water, solar technology will be future.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:48   #19
BANNED

The question is not 'will they', but 'when will they'. Going hybrid is a way to meet Euro V & Euro VI emission norms. Unless there is a breakthrough in engine technology, can't see the current engines meeting emission norms in future.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:54   #20
BHPian

Its impressive how TATA is leading the Indian Auto industry in R&D but why keep the pure electric Indica reserved for international markets ?
Old 20th June 2008, 23:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice move from TATA. But I believe that this move from TATA has come as a pressure from the rule of " ban of diesel vehicles in NCR ". This is, whatsoever be the root cause is a great move. But I think that the cost of such so called Mild hybrids and fully electirc cars will be high and this is where the government needs to something and that too urgently.

Regarding the ban of diesel vehicles in NCR, well when has the government taken a responsible decesion as far as automotive world is concerned ?
If they are putting a ban on such diesel vehicles, then tax concessions on at least fully electric vechicles is expected.

@diabloo:
The engines in Europe can meet the emession norms, so can we. The only reason is that we simply dont have that quality of fuel available.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th June 2008 at 23:57.
Old 21st June 2008, 12:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Nice move from TATA. But I believe that this move from TATA has come as a pressure from the rule of " ban of diesel vehicles in NCR ". This is, whatsoever be the root cause is a great move. But I think that the cost of such so called Mild hybrids and fully electirc cars will be high and this is where the government needs to something and that too urgently.

Regarding the ban of diesel vehicles in NCR, well when has the government taken a responsible decesion as far as automotive world is concerned ?
If they are putting a ban on such diesel vehicles, then tax concessions on at least fully electric vechicles is expected.
Banning of diesel vehicles in Delhi might be a factor for TM but not a very big one.

I think TM has come a long way from when it was Telco, and it is now more forward looking and interested in developing the latest technologies, due to the confidence it has from 10 years of successful car making. I think Tata realize that they way forward is clean and fuel efficient technology and they want to be a global player in the future, and that is why they are investing in it.

If you read the news coming out the UK in last few days, TM has is recruiting 600 people in the UK for its subsidiary JLR and spending 1.5B USD, both for developing newer clean technologies. JLR certainly will need such technologies, and you can bet that Tata will be able to use the knowhow in other models as well.

Regarding the Delhi diesel ban, I wonder how exactly they will implement it. Will they stop vehicles and start fining them - that sounds like a log of trouble to implement. The practical thing to do would be to not allow registration of new diesel vehicles, but in that case too, most of 'Delhi' lives in UP/Haryana so how will they control that? And what is to stop people from Delhi proper from registering their cars in Gurgaon - after all, people in Mumbai and Chennai and Kanyakumari are doing it
Old 21st June 2008, 14:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Banning of diesel vehicles in Delhi might be a factor for TM but not a very big one.

Agreed, they have come a long way. But what will be the cost of the product ? This is a major question. And what about A.S & S. ? What is the cost of replacing the entire battery set in case of electric vehicle, if at all it is sold here ?

But , I am happy that both Mahindra and Tata are able to bring in hybrids. Bringing this tech to a segment of Indica is something that I appreciate.
Looking forward to these vehicles as they will reduce the running costs for those who buy them.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Agreed, they have come a long way. But what will be the cost of the product ? This is a major question. What is the cost of replacing the entire battery set in case of electric vehicle, if at all it is sold here ?

Same (or more likely much less) than it will be for other manufacturers like Honda, GM, etc.

The below is not directed at you personally.

When Honda and Toyota come out with hybrid or electric cars, often costing double that of a normal car but only improving efficiency by about 10-20%, they are praised and feted as gods gift to humanity. When Japanese/Europeans/Americans do it, they are doing it from the goodness of their heart and because they are so concerned about the environment and our children and butterflies etc.

If one of our own companies does it, they face ridicule by the very same people. And the only motive for it could be that the Delhi Govt *might* ban diesel cars so Tata wants to still sell cars in that market - how dare they think of profit and marketshare and other such things!

Its unfortunate that such mindset persists but slowly but surely it is going away.
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same (or more likely much less) than it will be for other manufacturers like Honda, GM, etc.

Its unfortunate that such mindset persists but slowly but surely it is going away.

The mindset was not built in a day. The Japanese were having and are having better A.S & S. everywhere. They have done proper work before coming up with a product.

In case of Hybrids specailly, I believe that the product should not have any problems as far as development work is considered. Toyota Pruis, the world most successful hybrid to date, was specifically built as a hybrid. Indica is not and its not the buying part that is improtant. Hybrid does have a lot of high tech parts into it. Here the maintenence of the car should be done correctly.

I am not against any manufacturer, but then certain issues should be sorted out. Indica in the first place was not designed to be hybrid. Secondly this is a technology that has a lot of people still working on it. This is not as refined technology as say gasoline engines.

IMHO, the reliability of such technology in Indian conditions is stilll a question. Probably thats Honda came up with CBU route of Civic hybrid. First G2I ( Generation 2 Indica ) should prove its reliability over the present car and then hybrid is digestable.

I think that Tata must prove that they can come up with fantastic diesels and petrols and then have a shot at this.

P.S. No offence against any manufacturer. Just Opinion.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

kudos to tata for this brave move after the maini motors, but then i really really hope the indica is properly styled, not just another face lift, and tata if you are listening please work on the ergonomics and the Quality of the car please!
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:09   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I d love to see the Tata Indica / Indigo as a Hybrid
True to Tata Form I am sure they will make it an affordable option.

Perfect upgrade from the V2 Turbo DLG to the new Hybrid CS perhaps for my Dad and Mum!

I hope this venture will succeed.
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

If a hybrid, I am not sure how much it will cost.

Saw the review of Honda City Hybrid in 'Carbs & Bike' show. Due to our Indian gov not giving any benefit for a environment friendly vehicle, it is said to cost anywhere above 21laks INR!

So much for governement crying about environment!!!
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If a hybrid, I am not sure how much it will cost.

Saw the review of Honda City Hybrid in 'Carbs & Bike' show. Due to our Indian gov not giving any benefit for a environment friendly vehicle, it is said to cost anywhere above 21laks INR!

So much for governement crying about environment!!!

I thought it costs so much because it is a CBU imported directly from Japan. Not sure it is the govt's fault.
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:39   #30
BHPian

If not the governement, who's responsible for 104% customs duty ?
Quote:
I thought it costs so much because it is a CBU imported directly from Japan. Not sure it is the govt's fault.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks