Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 00:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The reason that the Reva /G wiz cant do speed and is therefore safe enough to use is ridiculous, consider one is sitting in a stationary Reva and gets hit by a careless Bus driver at 50 kmph, claiming that my car is safe at low speeds is not going to save ones life.
...very true..but even if it was moving im sure any car bigger and faster would surely cause a wreck out of it if crashed onto.
Old 5th May 2008, 10:11   #32
BHPian

The thing i am sure that it is safer than our Omni/M800 may be a bit lower than the Alto. It uses a space frame chassis like our bikes, which are quite rigid for its weight. So if being mowed down by a bus is a risk in Reva, its true to all M800. And all those millions of people who drive the M800 every day are at the same risk. Most cars in India will not keep the occupants alive(esp rear seats) if a bus comes at hits it at 50 kmph.

I know its not one of the safest alternative, but our normal options are no better.
Old 14th May 2008, 16:52   #33
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
The battries cost about 40K if am right, Installation extra, Charging Point extra, Watering Kit extra, Registration (road tax) extra ...... OTR in BLR comes to about 3.8 - 4.x depending on the model .. A friend of mine bought one and it costed her 4.xx (model with AC)...
The battries cost 55K+. I changed them about 2 years back.
The current status of the batteries is another topic altogether (now where is that sad smiley)

And I will like to add here that you can COMPLETELY forget about any savings. I have owned a Reva for 6 years now. The first 3-4 years when the car is under warranty is great. After that, no way when if comes to battery or the motor.
Other maintenance is very reasonable like service or cost of lamps, etc. Can't say anything about body panels.

If you talk about convenience, I totally agree. Manouvering in traffing, parking in tiny slots whether inline or perpendicular, smiles on faces of childer are some of the plus points or rather the only plus points.

This is my opinion (now).

However a friend of mine just bought a Reva on our feedback and is pretty happy with her car. I guess savings was not a concern for her. It was convenience.

Last edited by RAC : 14th May 2008 at 17:04.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
And I will like to add here that you can COMPLETELY forget about any savings. I have owned a Reva for 6 years now. The first 3-4 years when the car is under warranty is great. After that, no way when if comes to battery or the motor.
Hi RAC, can you please elaborate on that? And if possible, with some numbers to give us an idea? Thanks.
Old 12th June 2008, 22:45   #35
BHPian

I am of the opinion that rather than savings, its money that's unspent. the convenience of the car is just a step above a 2 wheeler at the cost of a car. at least u dont get wet in the rains, no usage of petroleum, silent, easy maneuverability and parking. The batteries will last only for a couple of years (for a certain number of charge cycles), so the more u use it each time u charge, the more value u get out of it.

The attractive aspect of the reva for me is that I dont get wet when it rains (it rains 8 months in the year in blr), I am relatively clean by the time I reach office (or home), enough space to carry more than just a backpack, resisted the fragrance of petroleum pollution to some extent, no money spent on petrol/diesel, and I still travel in a car. A good step up from a 2 wheeler. But by no means would this be my primary car. this would only be a home-office-home (or home-market-home) car.

The safety aspect would be that I wouldnt fall off, like I would from a 2 wheeler. that's about it.

My 2 paise.

Prajwal
Old 13th June 2008, 12:32   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I am of the opinion that rather than savings, its money that's unspent. the convenience of the car is just a step above a 2 wheeler at the cost of a car.
The Reva costs more than some really competent hatchbacks. The battery needs replacement after 4 years at a cost of 60,000+. A previous owner had also mentioned that there is some differential tax to be paid once the car is 5 years old. Depreciation, one of the most significant costs of automotive ownership, will also (expectedly) hit the Reva hard.

Buying a Reva to look *green* is totally cool; but if you get one to save money, thats really not a wise decision.
Old 13th June 2008, 12:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The battery needs replacement after 4 years at a cost of 60,000+.
GTO, the 4 years funda is under ideal conditions***

Under normal road usage, my B-I-L was asked to change the batteries after 2 years. His mileage had come down to 60-65 Kms per charge by then.

Poor guy he went non-green & bought a Alto & living happily ever after.
cheers:
Old 13th June 2008, 15:49   #38
BHPian

I too wanted a car for my office commute.. 15km one way. I planned to buy a Reva as i wanted a vehicle easy on the pocket (maintenance). But after lot of research and going to the Reva showroom multiple times, i decided i will not be saving anything by buying a Reva.

So decided to drop the idea. I use this occasion to apologise to the Reva salesperson whom i am pestering everyday since 2 weeks

Now i am reverting back to my original plan of buying a used Santro cheers:
Old 13th June 2008, 16:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

A fully loaded reva costs 4.8lacs onroad in bangalore. Beat that .
Old 13th June 2008, 16:54   #40
BHPian

Nope.. a fully loaded Reva costs 4.28laks on road..
Old 13th June 2008, 17:08   #41
BHPian

How about this Car guys... If its available in Petrol, Diesel or electric Version? Click on the Image to see the Full Panaroma

Apple iPod in car - the Smart i-move Daimler Chrysler smart car with iPod
Old 13th June 2008, 17:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
GTO, the 4 years funda is under ideal conditions***

Under normal road usage, my B-I-L was asked to change the batteries after 2 years. His mileage had come down to 60-65 Kms per charge by then.

Poor guy he went non-green & bought a Alto & living happily ever after.
cheers:
This post may be slightly off topic but,

This is really sad, A large corporation backed car performing so badly and so way overpriced. These guys have enough money, time and man power to invest and improve the design and range of this. But I don't see anything happening.

I saw a report about Gaza in the west bank.
They have been hit really hard thanks to the surging oil prices and the gas, petrol import restrictions imposed on them. I'm not getting into the details of all that.

A small electrical engineer who modified his car an old Peugeot hatchback into an electrical car.
You pop the hood you find several batteries. Nothing fancy. Looked home made.

Yeah you guys must be thinking so what? well read on..Guess the range?

180KM on a single charge A top speed of 100KM.
Takes about 7-8 hours for a full recharge.
Cost of converting the car? About $2500.
They were looking to try cutting down the cost and converting more cars on a large scale basis.

Makes you wonder can't these Reva guys do something better??
Old 13th June 2008, 17:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

i read couple of months ago, Mr. Maini got a multi million dollar aid from a US environmental NGO.

i wonder what he did with it?/
Old 14th June 2008, 13:16   #44
BHPian

Cool Reva

Well somebody pointed out that the Reva needs a facelift.

Spotted this Reva at the showroom / Office on Lavelle Road. Looks very nice (much better in person than in these pics). Don'd know if it is customized or a standard model. "Zephyr" was mentioned at the back.

The color of the car was two-tone (Grey - blue) with a white hood and looked nice with Merc like (of course smaller) oval headlamps. The car has been extended a bit (notice the thick C-pillar), back glass shortened and looks nice. Check the pics:

Reva @ 2.49 L ....-dsc00333.jpg
Reva @ 2.49 L ....-dsc00334.jpg

I hope Maini can come with models like these at a lower price point and maybe they will enter into two-three digit sales territory per month.

~maniac
Old 14th June 2008, 13:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
What a car! Oh Please!!

What a waste for almost 3 lacs rupees.
I just remembered one of the 5th Gear Episodes(latest season)
they mentioned about Tata Nano and it would cost 1500 Pounds in UK. But what else could they buy for 1500 quids. Their choices:
1) Peugeot 406 - 1400 Pounds - 2.0 Petrol
2) Audi Coupe GT - 900 quids - 2.0 Again
3) Alfa Romeo GTV - Price? - 2.0 Again

Coming to Reva. For 3lacs, one may not be able to buy the above mentioned cars but we can get some like OHCs, Balenos, Palios, Santros etc.
I would rather buy a car in which 4 people can easily sit, doesnt die in the middle of the road just because I honked thrice and if I use wipers. And more importantly a safer car.

And yeah, I would rather buy a table which is faster than the Reva and much more safer.
Table it will be! Good Jeremy Clarkson did not read this AD; REVA might make it to the TOPGEAR headlines LOL!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks